Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Lol watch hackers get roms, save backups and voice chat working before Nintendo ask you to pay for their online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Infinitum posted:

I love my Nintendo SwitchSlippery Slope

Nintendo Switch to pirating your games you self-entitled Millennial

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the nintendo player base is generally more interested in single player games on the family of systems that's always at least a decade behind when it comes to any sort of multiplayer games that aren't couch co-op? how bizarre, i wonder how that happened

boots up a game on a different system with better networking, matchmaking, and in-game voice chat that doesn't require a smartphone app

but seriously lol at using the online multiplayer aspect of any nintendo game as a reason to say this is bad. nintendo's so poo poo at having client-authoritative stuff that multiple generations of consoles were downloading games for free directly from their eshop servers, hopefully the speed of this forces them to hire people who know what they're doing this time around

nintendo makes great games but it's like they've been living in a cave for two decades straight with the weirdest poo poo sometimes

I agree with this. Nintendo is so bad at account management and anything online that if it weren't for hackers, so many games would be lost forever. Servers go down eventually and if it weren't for hacking, a lot of games would be gone for good.

I also like having backups of whatever I install because Nintendo requires you to get a police report if you lose your console and want to re-download your games :lol:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Have you checked on it recently? 3DS homebrew is piss easy to set up these days.

I am decent with computers and tech stuff but the 3DS hacking is still a good 4 hour process (and the last time I did it, about a year ago, you could brick your system by closing the lid at a certain point in the process).

obi_ant posted:

Makes me sorta sad to know that the Switch is hacked now. I don't really know what it means for the console, but you know a bunch of pirates are salivating right now.

It's not going to do anything to Nintendo. I mentioned this in the other thread but the DS was the easiest system on the planet to "hack" (there literally was no hack; just buy a $15 flash cart) and the DS still did amazing. 95% of the public do not want to get involved with plugging a microSD card into a computer, and 99% of the population didn't know where to get DS ROMs.

Now with the Switch since Nintendo is revising the hardware, people who want to hack the system are going to have to check serial numbers or whatever to make sure it's a model that is hackable and that's when you lose 99% of the public. The Switch will be fine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You don't have to get a police report to replace your games haven't since they implemented an account system with the WiiU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

You don't have to get a police report to replace your games haven't since they implemented an account system with the WiiU

Hang the gently caress on, was this a real thing?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

They asked for a police report if it was stolen, but if you didn't get one they would usually transfer your games to a new system anyway.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So in the space of a few weeks we've gone from "New firmware means Switch is almost impossible to hack." to "Cracked wide open with undetectable, unfixable exploit." Wow.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MZ posted:

So in the space of a few weeks we've gone from "New firmware means Switch is almost impossible to hack." to "Cracked wide open with undetectable, unfixable exploit." Wow.

Team Xecuter said almost a year ago that it was unfixable and no one believed them

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Lol watch hackers get roms, save backups and voice chat working before Nintendo ask you to pay for their online

Somebody took care of save backups like two weeks ago already, so that's one down.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not Operator posted:

Hang the gently caress on, was this a real thing?

With the Wii it was cause they had basically zero account infastructure. They couldn't move things between systems, all they could do, if they had the serial number, was"gift" those games to a new system. They fixed it about a year into the 3ds

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Macaluso posted:

Ooof I do not think this looks good at all

If it was good, it wouldn't be a Tinybuild game.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hacked my 3DS once Nintendo stopped releasing games I wanted to play on it, and I'll do the same for my Switch. I'm not at all interested in piracy though, especially not on a console that's just over a year old. Even after I hacked my 3DS, I didn't (and still haven't) pirated any games, I just wanted to get some emulators on it.

Being able to boot the Switch into Linux for Retroarch/Moonlight is pretty goddamn compelling... but poo poo, I can do that on my Chromebook, with the added bonus of being able to use m&k for PC games.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 24, 2018

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I already have so many dozen games on my Switch (not to mention hundreds on other systems and PC) that I haven't played yet that I almost couldn't care less about hacking my switch. Maybe in four years when my backlog is clearing I'll look into it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Trust me friend your backlog will never clear. It is an affliction

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You do realize running emulated games is still piracy right? No judgement, I do it myself for games that will absolutely never be released anywhere, like Marvelous: Another Treasure Island, or Starfleet Bridge Simulator or Mother 3, but don't have any illusions that "oh this isn't piracy this is emulation", unless you are ripping your own hard copies.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

You do realize running emulated games is still piracy right? No judgement, I do it myself for games that will absolutely never be released anywhere, like Marvelous: Another Treasure Island, or Starfleet Bridge Simulator or Mother 3, but don't have any illusions that "oh this isn't piracy this is emulation", unless you are ripping your own hard copies.

Fine, I should rephrase: I don't intend on using the Switch hack to pirate any games that have been released in the past fifteen years.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/UkiyoPublishing/status/988750847738867712
drat, looks like Death Road to Canada's release this week is going to be post-poned due to some real world events in Canada. Vehicular slaughter and all that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah also the new tour from Death Cab for Cutie was cancelled

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hopefully this thing will be easy for Nintendo to fix on future models, at least

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They might have one in production already with the hardware fix. All sorts of code has been found referencing a Tegra revision

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Maybe Nintendo will be encouraged to say something about virtual console

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hopefully this thing will be easy for Nintendo to fix on future models, at least
Nintendo can do a lot of things, but I don't think they can stop trucks hitting people.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is. Basically it's a hardware exploit on the Tegra chip, so all it needs to do is use the updated chips.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 24, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Kins posted:

Nintendo can do a lot of things, but I don't think they can stop trucks hitting people.

I made a toycon and if the right joycon sees a person in the IR camera I've trained it to vibrate the left one at maximum speed, and attached it to the gear shifter.

Unfortunately testing has not gone great so far.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If I ever see someone playing Breath of the Wild for free, I'm going to kill myself

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Thats already a thing since the WiiU version has been cracked for a while.

Edit: it sucks though, because theres no gyro controls and the emulation cause a lot of weird graphical glitches and hanging

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 24, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

I made a toycon and if the right joycon sees a person in the IR camera I've trained it to vibrate the left one at maximum speed, and attached it to the gear shifter.

Unfortunately testing has not gone great so far.

Did you manage to come up with some magic that detects something to be a person? Or is it just "anything"?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE loving MOON posted:

Maybe Nintendo will be encouraged to say something about virtual console

They said months ago that their pay online service will include the ability to play classic games

Jesus Christ, at E3 when they finally give out the details on their online service and it includes the netflix-for-games idea that they said it would last year there's gonna be a bunch of morons saying "ha, piracy forced them to do this!" aren't there?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Argue posted:

Did you manage to come up with some magic that detects something to be a person? Or is it just "anything"?

Well I had my volunteers wear a reflective tape belt.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Did they actually say that, or was that from one of those 'leaks'. I cant remember anymore.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah they announced it

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
"classic game selection" has been a listed feature on the Switch online service page for many months. Since they're avoiding the "virtual console" branding, and adding features to games, don't expect it to be the same thing.
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Hmmm. Guess we'll probably hear details in June then.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Hackers already "get ROMs." Save backups, sure. Voice chat? Okay, yeah, they're gonna put Discord on the Switch, I guess?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

but seriously lol at using the online multiplayer aspect of any nintendo game as a reason to say this is bad.

I don't understand this mindset of "lol it's Nintendo, I'm gonna do whatever I want to gently caress over other people, because it's Nintendo lololol, they're so bad and I deserve to play all of their games for free." Like, gently caress off with that poo poo. I pay money to play video games in expected environments, and even if a company drops the ball on any level of security, you know that hackers/cheaters are going to fight tooth and nail to achieve a back door, no matter what, so maybe, JUST MAYBE, the blame should mostly go towards people who do not give a poo poo about the playing environment of people who paid to be there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spellman posted:

If I ever see someone playing Breath of the Wild for free, I'm going to kill myself

Pirated copies of the Wii U version being emulated via Dolphin has been a thing for a while now.

You will be missed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Pirated copies of the Wii U version being emulated via Dolphin has been a thing for a while now.

You will be missed.

cemu is the wii u emulator but yeah

that's how we got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7LN0dXI_E

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

repiv posted:

cemu is the wii u emulator but yeah

that's how we got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr7LN0dXI_E

Oh my~~

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

Nintendo not having native party chat on Switch doesn't make it ok for Splatoon or Mario Kart to get ruined by cheaters.

I don't give two shits about turbonerds jerking off about modding their systems, but this I totally agree with.

If Nintendo finds a way to ban anyone who has done this from online play, I'll be fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I don't give two shits about turbonerds jerking off about modding their systems, but this I totally agree with.

If Nintendo finds a way to ban anyone who has done this from online play, I'll be fine with it.

Ditto. Its been a while since ive played splatoon, but I play 2 player online mario kart a couple of times a week and I could really do without hackers ruining everything.

Edit: actually idgaf if people play online with modded systems, i just dont want them using it to cheat.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 24, 2018

• Locked thread