Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Train him on grill next so his name can be a grilling word. :v:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

:stare: Oddly enough, one of our best grill guys is actually named Paul. He doesn't strike me as the type to be a big Dune fan, but I'm gonna start calling him Muad'Dib today just to see who is.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 22, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Anyone got any advice:

I’m currently only working 50hrs a week, but the shoes I’m currently wearing for the kitchen leave the ends of my toes intensely sore to walk on (but it’s not a sizing issue). I am willing to spend a disgusting amount of money on a decent kitchen shoe. So any suggestions on brand and style?

Superfeet inserts for the shoes you already have.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hi goons, indecisive Chef who wants to get out of the kitchen:

Tell me more about being a food sales rep/in a large metropolitan area?

I've been bouncing a lot of things back and forth for my next step and this one seems like a not so bad option. It seems like the good ones work a lot, but I'm used to that. Also what do they make?

cods fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 24, 2018

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Does anyone have the hook on melamine bowls, ~4oz capacity ~5 inch diameter? I'm going to go harass the bulk suppliers, but so far I'm not getting a buy by the gross discount, I'm getting the buy by the dozen discount.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i was always under the impression closed back shoes was more for keeping out like broken glass and stuff like that than spills and such.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

virinvictus posted:

Anyone got any advice:

I’m currently only working 50hrs a week, but the shoes I’m currently wearing for the kitchen leave the ends of my toes intensely sore to walk on (but it’s not a sizing issue). I am willing to spend a disgusting amount of money on a decent kitchen shoe. So any suggestions on brand and style?

I had the same problem wearing big bulky traditional kitchen shoes with the painful toes and some serious swelling. I just got these Skechers moccasin-style things on sale at a local store. They're very light and fit well on my goofy 10EW flat feet. The fit is real nice, the tops are mesh but liquid resistant, and the low weight and lack of laces makes my feet shift around less while walking so they're not destroyed and my calluses disappeared over about a week. I normally don't gush about shoes but I'm really happy with these.

So the job I started at a year ago has been interesting. Originally, business was picking up as I joined but somewhere around Christmas it started dying off again and after a nasty winter of broken equipment and declining sales, the owner decided he wasn't going to renew the lease after running it for 15 years. He made the announcement public about a month ago and ever since then every single day has been busier than the busiest days in the restaurant's history. We're picking up scabs to just keep food in the house and we're actually walking away with tip money in our pockets. The place has always been known to have the best food but people in this area are either a) locals who seem pissed off at the idea that there will be anyone under the age of 39 in the same town as them and will only want to park within 20 feet of the business they want to go to, or b) students who don't want to give local businesses a try and will flock to the chain restaurants that are doing well now but never used to. The town is getting more gentrified and local businesses are shuttering as we're thinking of putting our third Starbucks and Dunkin within a mile of each other. Shut up I'm waffling because I'm tired and I've lost like 20 pounds since this whole thing started.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 26, 2018

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Those are the exact shoes I just got and they are extremely good. Buy them, use them.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Trebuchet King posted:

i was always under the impression closed back shoes was more for keeping out like broken glass and stuff like that than spills and such.

more for keeping them on your feet as you climb/descend stairs and move quickly.

there is also that fun game of kicking someone's clogs away when they pull a foot out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So uh, Twin Peaks is a shithole of a restaurant, don't eat there: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/04/26/restaurant-chain-faces-sexual-harassment-charges/

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

The fact that it is an exploitative shithole isn't news - but the poo poo outlined in that article is pretty loving egregious.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I’ve never even heard of “Twin Peaks” but I will say that I experienced wayyyyyyy less sexual harassment working in strip clubs.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Knockknees posted:

The fact that it is an exploitative shithole isn't news - but the poo poo outlined in that article is pretty loving egregious.

This place needs to be sued into the ground and the owners and execs thrown in jail.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This place needs to be sued into the ground and the owners and execs thrown in jail.

That might be a franchise, which means the franchise owner and manager need to be sued and Twin Peaks needs to seriously beef up their franchisee training. Completely unacceptable, but let's not assume who the bad actor is here before it gets settled out of court.

(Twin Peaks, Hooters, and all the other chains of that ilk are awful in and of themselves though, starting with the food)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

There's one of those here in town, but I've never been. Seemed like a creepier Hooters, and Hooters was never someplace worth going for the food.

Edit: Holy poo poo, murder is too good for these assholes.

quote:

Ignoring police warnings that the required attire violated indecent exposure laws, resulting in Orland Park police issuing citations against the women individually.
Restaurant officials then hiring an attorney to represent the female employees in court, unbeknownst to them. That attorney pleaded them liable and paid their fines – leaving them with non-expungable convictions on their criminal record.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 28, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so i'd never heard of this restaurant and decided to look it up and lol they have some kind of playboy-lite calendar girl thing, this place sounds like trash

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hooters 3 mile island weeks are loving awesome. Also boobs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As far as I can tell, there's a huge market for terrible "restaurants" and "bars" that are basically strip clubs for men who are ashamed of actually going to strip clubs, except you don't see full nudity.

I don't understand it, but they're very popular!

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

PT6A posted:

As far as I can tell, there's a huge market for terrible "restaurants" and "bars" that are basically strip clubs for men who are ashamed of actually going to strip clubs, except you don't see full nudity.

I don't understand it, but they're very popular!

I always thought going to Hooter's and the like was more shameful than just going to a strip club. At least be honest about it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, murder is too good for these assholes.

Yeah, I was already disgusted, but then I got to the part you quoted and literally shouted "oh what the holy gently caress" at my monitor.

I really hope that when they win their suit, a judge will find a way to expunge those records. That's gotta be stupid crazy illegal, sending a corporate atty to plead guilty on their behalf without their knowledge/consent, right? Right? (somebody please tell me I'm right, I was having such a good day)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, I was already disgusted, but then I got to the part you quoted and literally shouted "oh what the holy gently caress" at my monitor.

I really hope that when they win their suit, a judge will find a way to expunge those records. That's gotta be stupid crazy illegal, sending a corporate atty to plead guilty on their behalf without their knowledge/consent, right? Right? (somebody please tell me I'm right, I was having such a good day)

If it doesn't, the staff can just have a lawyer represent the company and plead guilty

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Tunicate posted:

If it doesn't, the staff can just have a lawyer represent the company and plead guilty

That would be a total :master:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just helped push out salad, main course, and desserts for about 2600 people.:feelsgood:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

JacquelineDempsey posted:

This is really a better question for the legal megathread in A/T, but my guess is that the article is slightly misleading - the company probably offered to pay for representation, had the employees sign off it, and then he plead guilty on their behalf as their representation. That's scummy as poo poo but perfectly legal. If he didn't have signed authority to represent them (or they signed some unholy employment contract that gave the company the ability to hire counsel on their behalf) then he could probably lose his license to practice law.

Either way, the attorney and company can and should be sued for that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'd think that if he pled guilty without explicitly explaining to them what that entails it'd be a huge ethics violation. :smith:

Probably give them the 'it's just like a parking ticket, enter a routine guilty plea and pay the fine to make it go away' speech.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

esperantinc posted:

I always thought going to Hooter's and the like was more shameful than just going to a strip club. At least be honest about it.

Yeah, me too. So you want to see naked people! It's not a huge deal, just be honest about it!

If I had to take a guess, I think it's also that a lot of the men want to be "flirty" (i.e. creepy and gross) to the staff, and that's paradoxically less acceptable at a strip club, and the frequent involvement with organized crime means the consequences are much more unpleasant.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

"It's your birthday today, JD? Why the gently caress are you working?"
"One: hahaha, as if I could ask off on a Sunday. Two: Mark [our grill guy] is gonna make me the sluttiest custom omelette ever. Plus I'll probably get first cut since I'm first in on Sunday's."

Mission accomplished. Got first cut (yeah, I need hours, but gently caress it, it's my birthday), and this mushroom, peppers, onion, pepper jack, and brisket omelette topped with smoked jalapeño and tomatillo salsa is the loving tits. One of our FOH bought me a Bloody Mary, which was stiffer than a redwood, and I kinda had to slam it since there was no seating and I didn't want to be drinking in the kitchen.

so yeah, A+, would work birthday brunch again, wooo

Edit: also, my km used the kitchen doing a catering job outside hours last night, and left me a big "HAPPY INTERNATIONAL [my name] DAY" with doodles of balloons and such, done in dry erase marker, on my prep table to greet me this morning. I was chuffed as gently caress, and then torn between "poo poo, I should really wipe this table down" vs "but it's my birthday and I love this little token of affection". I took a pic, sighed, then sanitized. Because that is what the JD do.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 29, 2018

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Despite having fun doing such large banquets as above it's become clear to me that after almost 2 years at my current place it's time to move on. It's a union hotel and the old guard isn't leaving until they literally die. Some of the dishwashers are pushing 70, the two long timers in my dept. have both been there 30 some years.
I was getting pretty bummed out about my job searchings since I had had a phone interview about a month ago and never heard back about it despite sending a follow up e-mail about 2 weeks after the interview.
The hr lady emailed me a few days ago to let me know the position had indeed been filled. Then the next day emailed me again saying that it was open again:iiam:
This is after I had already applied for another job at a private club and am interviewing there tomorrow.
Will be making arrangements to have face to face interview with the Exec Chef anf F&B Director at 1st place also.

I know what the offered salary for first place will be and I'll find out tomorrow what the club's offer will be.

TLDR:Went from being bummed about job futures looking dim to having two pretty great places on the table in the span of about 2 days.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

Yeah, me too. So you want to see naked people! It's not a huge deal, just be honest about it!

If I had to take a guess, I think it's also that a lot of the men want to be "flirty" (i.e. creepy and gross) to the staff, and that's paradoxically less acceptable at a strip club, and the frequent involvement with organized crime means the consequences are much more unpleasant.

Yeah, seems like a no-brainer. If you wanna leer at the ladies, go someplace where being leered at is in their job description and they're okay with this. :unsmith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Speaking of creepy customers, anybody read this article about how Homeroom deals with it

https://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/amp/Oakland-restaurant-devises-system-to-combat-12791612.php

(There's a decent chance I first read this because someone posted it in this thread, so advance apologies if it's a repeat)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, seems like a no-brainer. If you wanna leer at the ladies, go someplace where being leered at is in their job description and they're okay with this. :unsmith:

Part of the Hooters/tilted kilt/etc girls training is how to flirt with their tables. They know getting leered at is part of the job.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Field Mousepad posted:

Part of the Hooters/tilted kilt/etc girls training is how to flirt with their tables. They know getting leered at is part of the job.

There are levels of creepy, there's a fine but very distinct difference between going to a restaurant for the girlfriend experience and going to try and pick up a random waitress.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm not disagreeing with you, it's definitely creepy. But I'm pretty sure most women that go into those jobs know what to expect, including getting hit on.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
hooters and the like sucks

people who go there are trash

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Growing up there was a Hooter's that we frequented as a family. Memory of it placed it as somehow being the best place that served good breaded wings (dad) naked wings (mom) and had games for me to play. Also it was on a river and had really nice views of mangroves and sunsets.

But rose tinted goggles/nostalgia/etc. Was probably trash.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Why are we judging the clientele of those places rather than focusing on the real issue: management at those particular locations are absolute trash. The establishment-client dynamic is a lot more equitable than the employer-employee dynamic. Both can be abused, however one is far, far easier to abuse at a much higher level.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why are we judging the clientele of those places rather than focusing on the real issue: management at those particular locations are absolute trash. The establishment-client dynamic is a lot more equitable than the employer-employee dynamic. Both can be abused, however one is far, far easier to abuse at a much higher level.

That's true, however creepy you have to be to visit those places, you'd have to be even creepier to run one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

That's true, however creepy you have to be to visit those places, you'd have to be even creepier to run one.

You're making value judgments based on where and how people choose to spend their money. Even moreso, you're making value judgments based on who runs those places, and who works in them. The management at those particular establishments are absolute scum, don't get me wrong. But to say that patronizing or running those establishments is a pretty puritanical point of view. Nobody is being forced to work there, it isn't indentured servitude. If management treats them with respect, and is willing to bounce patrons that cross the line, then what's the problem?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Shooting Blanks posted:

sure

hooters clientele are still trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

JawKnee posted:

sure

hooters clientele are still trash

May you be ever so virtuous in your words, thoughts, and actions.