Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The MSJ posted:

It’s a Hollywood movie, so yes.

Sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Full Venom trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mv98Gr5pY

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Prototype movie looking pretty good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean, the protagonists of Prototype games are more or less Carnage ripoffs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The symbiote voice sounds like it could be Mike Patton.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm at at a loss for words for how awful this looks. :stare:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

It strikes me as something I would find in the bargain bin in the mid-2000s.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow that looks like rear end

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Tom Hardy was a good choice, Venom itself looks good, seems fine to me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Looks sort of idiosyncratic in the way comic book movies like Blade used to be. Doesn't mean it will be any good, but it at least looks more interesting and performance oriented than the mainline MCU movies which are complete sewage.

Tom Hardy making the most of a paycheck to practice his weird rear end twitchy voices. Love that man.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I have come to realize that I have no idea what Tom Hardy actually sounds like normally.

For some reason, the scream/yell/shout from that goon after the "We are Venom" line really bothers me. It's such a lovely sound and breaks up the flow so much that I can't help but fixate on it. Why not end the trailer on "We are Venom"?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I have come to realize that I have no idea what Tom Hardy actually sounds like normally.

For some reason, the scream/yell/shout from that goon after the "We are Venom" line really bothers me. It's such a lovely sound and breaks up the flow so much that I can't help but fixate on it. Why not end the trailer on "We are Venom"?

Yeah, that trailer doesn't really end all that well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Teikanmi posted:

Wow that looks like rear end

Five months out, some effects are likely unfinished. The symbiote looks fine as is, though, it would be much more unbelievable if it looked like a suit rather than a creature wearing Eddie Brock for internal structure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonna see/hate the poo poo out of that one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

loving dope. I'm sold.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

GrandpaPants posted:

I imagine it's like his character in RocknRolla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqrYAcljRZo
He is also in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but he might sound a bit posh (edit: fancier?) in that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 24, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

between crazy rich asians and oceans 8 hollywood is really trying to get me to like awkwafina's "asian person doing aave" shtick. it isn't working

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One thing I noticed about the Venom trailer is that most of the scenes seems to be from the first hour of the movie.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, that trailer doesn't really end all that well.

Eh?? the ending is crowdpleasing af it's like I'm Batman

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Look at this motherfucker with his high school wannabe rockstar collection of wrist bands and bracelets

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Can't wait to see how they awkwardly force the word "Carnage" into description of the antagonist's actions/behavior.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, carnage means killing a lot of people. Cletus is a serial killer. I don't think it'll be that awkward.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

I'm at at a loss for words for how awful this looks. :stare:

I'm glad the CGI team from Spawn is still getting work.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I was more referencing how many super hero movies have an aversion to explicitly naming their villain the way they do with the hero.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

He has a south London accent but he's kind of like a chameleon when speaking depending where he is. Here's an interview from 2010.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 24, 2018

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Tom Hardy making the most of a paycheck to practice his weird rear end twitchy voices. Love that man.

Same. Im in for this

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Nothing about the production quality looks "bad" per se I guess. And Tom Hardy seems fine as usual.

It's just that the idea just seems sooooo Comic Booky (complete with generic evil villain and bland "science-y" settings) that when literally translated on screen it just looks so generic and uninteresting.

And the 1:1 literal interpretation of Venom just doesn't translate well to screen for me. If there was ever anything ripe for a really interesting cinema conversion, it'd be this.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm glad the CGI team from Spawn is still getting work.

No kidding.

The Venom reveal looked so awful, the voice sounds super corny... I feel like it should be more raspy and almost Darkness Mike Patton-esque, and Tom Hardy sounds like he has has downs syndrome.

quote:

EMBRACE YOUR INNER ANTI-HERO

quote:

The guy you work for is an evil person!

quote:

SYM-BYE-OTE

quote:

This was written by Kelly Marcel (Fifty Shades Of Grey) & Will Beall (Gangster Squad).

:yikes:

Also I predict that Venom himself will be in the movie for approximately 10 minutes total.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't know much from comic books, but I thought Eddie Brock was supposed to be kind of an rear end in a top hat, not the intrepid, righteous investigative journalist the trailer paints him as. Hence his whole "violent antihero/villain" shtick. I might be wrong, natch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deakul posted:

Also I predict that Venom himself will be in the movie for approximately 10 minutes total.

It’s a Sony movie trailer so that “we are Venom” shot is actually the last shot of the movie.

Mordja posted:

I don't know much from comic books, but I thought Eddie Brock was supposed to be kind of an rear end in a top hat, not the intrepid, righteous investigative journalist the trailer paints him as. Hence his whole "violent antihero/villain" shtick. I might be wrong, natch.

Eddie has been around for so long he’s been everything at one point or another.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 24, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deakul posted:

The Venom reveal looked so awful, the voice sounds super corny... I feel like it should be more raspy and almost Darkness Mike Patton-esque, and Tom Hardy sounds like he has has downs syndrome.

Venom's voice is about 40% Movie Trailer Guy and Brock's voice starts out with a smidgin of Elmer Fudd but gets Fuddier and Fuddier when he gets more panicky towards the end of the trailer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'd heard Gangster Squad was good. (Haven't seen it even though I like gangster movies.)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd heard Gangster Squad was good. (Haven't seen it even though I like gangster movies.)

It was not.

Maybe good if you just want a stupid movie set in the 1930s with tons of blood and no actual personality or a story.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Zombieland is pretty lousy, and Gangster Squad is even worse, so unless 30 Minutes or Less is a real hidden gem, shouldn't be surprising that Venom is looking rough.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s a Sony movie trailer so that “we are Venom” shot is actually the last shot of the movie.

This has been my assumption.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Can't wait to see how they awkwardly force the word "Carnage" into description of the antagonist's actions/behavior.

Two policemen walk into a room with a bunch of butchered people.
"This is a massacre"
"No...this is Carnage"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

It completely botched a great premise. The original article and book it's based on is loving killer.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sir Kodiak posted:

unless 30 Minutes or Less is a real hidden gem

It barely skates by on its great cast

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Is Gangster Squad a sequel to Monster Squad?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

Is Gangster Squad a sequel to Monster Squad?

Nah, it's a prequel to Suicide Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

This is preparing us for how bad the independent Joker movie will be.