Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais's videos may be rough and his appraisals may be florid, but he even he has standards as he said Mass Effect: Andromeda sucks. Also convinced me get Dying Light on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Noah is by far my favorite. It's really too bad that he had to stop living on the road because those travel videos are some of my favorites. Totally understand why he had to, though.

For all the poo poo these threads can sometimes get into, they've been a great resource for finding people like Noah, the YouTube leftists, Lindsay, Dan, and Cosmonauts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BobbyK posted:

No ones made me laugh as hard as DSP has so he's my favorite. Listening to him breathlessly explain why he has to cancel a stream because he needs to get a haircut or something but he hopes everyone will still help support him paying his unpaid taxes is why I signed up for this internet thing.

What the fffufufuffffffuuucckkkkk. How is someone this bad?!

I discovered Jenny through a video titled "I found the worst book" and its about a woman who falls in love with someone who trolls her.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Lindsay and Jim Sterling are my favorites.

I want to say that I got to Lindsay's stuff through the gators, either directly or indirectly? When their thread got sent into D&D, I tried reading up about what the hell that was about, and they were either complaining about her directly or I got one of her videos recommended after I watched one of Anita's (which I never really got into). This was after she'd moved most of her stuff to Youtube, so I watched the back catalog, as well as the new stuff, and have been hooked ever since.

Jim I started watching around the same time, again probably showing up as a suggested video by Youtube when I was looking around at various horrible ess jay dubbya game reviewers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This isn’t a review thing exactly, but I guess it’s kind of Night Mind-related: DarkHarvest01, a slenderman-related youtube series from 2010 has started back up. It’s been silent since 2012 at least and was never very good. But now that the kids behind it have graduated from high school and college, maybe it will have some kind of conclusion that Night Mind will go apeshit for.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

BobbyK posted:

No ones made me laugh as hard as DSP has so he's my favorite. Listening to him breathlessly explain why he has to cancel a stream because he needs to get a haircut or something but he hopes everyone will still help support him paying his unpaid taxes is why I signed up for this internet thing.

DSP is what you get when you take an average sympathetic failure and inject them with Schadenroids

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lindsay and Jim Sterling are my favorites.

I want to say that I got to Lindsay's stuff through the gators, either directly or indirectly? When their thread got sent into D&D, I tried reading up about what the hell that was about, and they were either complaining about her directly or I got one of her videos recommended after I watched one of Anita's (which I never really got into). This was after she'd moved most of her stuff to Youtube, so I watched the back catalog, as well as the new stuff, and have been hooked ever since.

Jim I started watching around the same time, again probably showing up as a suggested video by Youtube when I was looking around at various horrible ess jay dubbya game reviewers.

Anita Sarkeesian’s stuff has gotten better since she ended her video series. Now she just fucks around on podcasts with two of her friends or Feminist Frequency coworkers and it’s pretty fun. Whoever blamed the director/producer she hired (who does Pop Culture Detective now) for making her poo poo stuffy and boring was right, it turns out.

Plus she cemented her status as a true comrade by dressing up like Emma Goldman and teaching the kids about anarchism.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

Anita Sarkeesian’s stuff has gotten better since she ended her video series. Now she just fucks around on podcasts with two of her friends or Feminist Frequency coworkers and it’s pretty fun. Whoever blamed the director/producer she hired (who does Pop Culture Detective now) for making her poo poo stuffy and boring was right, it turns out.

Plus she cemented her status as a true comrade by dressing up like Emma Goldman and teaching the kids about anarchism.

Podcasts don't really appeal to me. :smith:

I was searching my Youtube history, and I think that I also ran into HBomb, whom I also like, through Anita.

Pushing Up Roses, meanwhile, I probably got recommended through various let's plays and such, so not everything goes back to the gators, I suppose.

My whole exposure to many of these things was backwards because of the years I spent effectively offline focusing on my PhD.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

H3 did a podcast with the single hottest person on YouTube right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s12qaVEyW14

TBH his hair seems to have more personality than he himself does, but I'm just mean because frankly he seems nice enough - an inoffensive, pretty and not all that obnoxious face for gamers in 2018 who isn't going to do anything stupid (probably). It appears as though Ninja playing Fortnite Duos with Drake is now officially "the moment when gaming became cool" (obviously it's never been cool up to this point)...still, he seems chill. Better him than Logan Paul.

By the way, if you're interested in seeing what playing Fortnite Duos with Drake, Travis Scott etc. can do for your YouTube channel, check out the man's SocialBlade. https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/ninjashyper

No lie, it's been like this since the start of 2018. 100k subs virtually every day. The man had around 400k subs at the start of this year, and now he's broken 9 million. At this rate he'll be at 10 within...um, a fortnight and the diamond button will be in the post. That's loving INSANE. I've never seen growth like it or even remotely like it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

corn in the bible posted:

Also I like to watch Big Clive disassemble AC adapters

Oh yeah, Big Clive does fun stuff. In that same pool of "niche but fascinating and well-presented" is BosnianBill's lockpicking stuff.

Phelous was a weird case where I was actually familiar with him well before he started doing critic stuff thanks to being introduced to Eskimo Bob by a friend (Canadian, natch) waaaaay back in the day. And then also eventually coming across his Newgrounds submissions, like this classic.

I'm usually not one to really narrow down absolute favorites, but Mark Brown's Game Maker's Tool Kit is probably the channel I'm most consistently interested in. Every episode is a big warm hug of exploring game design.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Conal Cochran posted:

Who is your favorite internet reviewer and how did you discover them.

Definitely gotta go with Hbomb and K.Waste. I really dig the way Hbomb constructs and edits his videos; I could watch a billion hours of him. K.Waste's vids are probably the most thoughtful film criticism on Youtube

Even though they're not a reviewer per se, I really like the channel Just Write, as well--I've read a couple books on storytelling that have come up in their videos

John Murdoch posted:

I'm usually not one to really narrow down absolute favorites, but Mark Brown's Game Maker's Tool Kit is probably the channel I'm most consistently interested in. Every episode is a big warm hug of exploring game design.

Yes!! Game Maker's Toolkit is so loving good! I wish he had a more regular updating schedule--highly, highly recommended

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Lindsay got me into internet critics back when she was the Nostalgia Chick, and to this day remains in the Top 10 for me. I'd say Todd in the Shadows is my favorite critics, because man his One Hit Wonder teaches me something about the decades I wasn't around for. In a similar respect, RetroManCave, LGR, 8BitGuy, and NostalgiaNerd are currently teaching me about old computer stuff that I just find simply interesting, 8Bit in particular going through his thought process for making his games for older machines being incredibly fascinating.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Todd is great because his twitter is 90% pictures of his dog, whose adorableness defies reality.

Brad Jones also has an instagram that was only pictures of his cats, but he quit posting so whatever—he’s dead to me now.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Someone linked me to a relatively new guy named Big Joel a while ago, and I really like him; I don't agree with all of his positions, but his approach to media is one that I really want to take myself, and he's also really good at persuasively framing his theses. I think he might legitimately be my favorite internet critic. Haven't watched all of his videos, but would really like to.

They've already been mentioned, but I really like Fredrik Knudsen and Ross Scott. Down The Rabbit Hole is probably the best documentary series I've been introduced to over the internet, and Ross Scott just has a great voice and personality that could get me to listen to just about anything.

Oh, almost forgot, there's an up-and-coming cartoon reviewer called Robobuddies, who I really like. You can tell that she's kind of young and really geeky - she even does that weird thing where she draws a cool OC version of herself and uses it in her videos as a standin for herself, which I think originated from MLPFIM fandom, yikes - but her opinions are often really insightful and well-supported, and her voice is very pleasant. Standouts include the "Why Donkey Matters" video, which legitimately changed my perspective on Shrek, and the Emoji Movie "video", which was apparently improvised on a Skype call in one take, and is some of the funniest poo poo I've ever heard. She's apparently well-known for a video she did on Steven Universe, and I'm looking forward to watching it, although I haven't yet because I'm not caught up on the show.

Gonna take the recommendation on Jenny Nicholson! :) Excited to see what she's like, I've heard a lot of good things about her at this point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Conal Cochran posted:

Hell if I know how I found out about this stuff, I can never remember what the first video I watch on anything was.

It was either Hbomb's buttgate video- because I was actually aware of that 'controversy' when it happened as opposed to obliviously missing everything like I do with most gaming shouting matches- or the one on Virtue Signaling. If it was the second one, then it was probably because someone in the idiots on social media thread linked it or something.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Remember how Phelous lost his creator network Fullscreen earlier this month?

Fullscreen isn't sure if they or any other MCN will be around on YouTube by the end of the year.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
AHOY has produced some phenomenal documentaries in the past few years. It's always a treat when he pops up in my subscriptions.

I started following him when he did regular weapon guides back at the height of COD's popularity.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

21 Muns posted:

You can tell that she's kind of young and really geeky - she even does that weird thing where she draws a cool OC version of herself and uses it in her videos as a standin for herself, which I think originated from MLPFIM fandom, yikes

That originated from every creative geek ever. If you've got the opportunity to present a persona to the world, and you're not actually very cool in real life, you're usually gonna lean on the wish fulfillment. We did that back in the early days of the internet, back when My Little Pony was "that cartoon you watched when you were a little girl but then disappeared forever."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Balding, doughy internet nerds have been redistributing their pounds and hairlines in webcomic form for ages.

Speaking of, do internet personalities trying to branch off into webcomics count? Because man is that a well of tepid genericness punctuated with moments of insanity.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I patiently wait for someone to do a review of that bridalplasty show. *wink wink*

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kim Justice posted:

TBH his hair seems to have more personality than he himself does, but I'm just mean because frankly he seems nice enough - an inoffensive, pretty and not all that obnoxious face for gamers in 2018 who isn't going to do anything stupid (probably). It appears as though Ninja playing Fortnite Duos with Drake is now officially "the moment when gaming became cool" (obviously it's never been cool up to this point)...still, he seems chill. Better him than Logan Paul.

By the way, if you're interested in seeing what playing Fortnite Duos with Drake, Travis Scott etc. can do for your YouTube channel, check out the man's SocialBlade. https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/ninjashyper

No lie, it's been like this since the start of 2018. 100k subs virtually every day. The man had around 400k subs at the start of this year, and now he's broken 9 million. At this rate he'll be at 10 within...um, a fortnight and the diamond button will be in the post. That's loving INSANE. I've never seen growth like it or even remotely like it.

I hope somebody does an analysis of his meteoric rise someday, because it is just unreal.

Probably some kind of Faustian bargain. Yeah, I am going with that. Sounds plausible.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Kim Justice posted:

So I'm not insane, then, for not knowing who this guy was until like a month ago, cool.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Puppy Time posted:

That originated from every creative geek ever. If you've got the opportunity to present a persona to the world, and you're not actually very cool in real life, you're usually gonna lean on the wish fulfillment. We did that back in the early days of the internet, back when My Little Pony was "that cartoon you watched when you were a little girl but then disappeared forever."

Gonna say that originated with Penny Arcade.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

We forgot that Jim Sterling did a 100% objective review of the greatest "video" game of all time.

21 Muns posted:

Oh, almost forgot, there's an up-and-coming cartoon reviewer called Robobuddies, who I really like. You can tell that she's kind of young and really geeky - she even does that weird thing where she draws a cool OC version of herself and uses it in her videos as a standin for herself, which I think originated from MLPFIM fandom, yikes - but her opinions are often really insightful and well-supported, and her voice is very pleasant. Standouts include the "Why Donkey Matters" video, which legitimately changed my perspective on Shrek, and the Emoji Movie "video", which was apparently improvised on a Skype call in one take, and is some of the funniest poo poo I've ever heard. She's apparently well-known for a video she did on Steven Universe, and I'm looking forward to watching it, although I haven't yet because I'm not caught up on the show.

I watch her stuff occasionally. She's not high on my cartoon reviewer list but I've seen her stuff including that Steven Universe video which I think is her best work to date.

business hammocks posted:

This isn’t a review thing exactly, but I guess it’s kind of Night Mind-related: DarkHarvest01, a slenderman-related youtube series from 2010 has started back up. It’s been silent since 2012 at least and was never very good. But now that the kids behind it have graduated from high school and college, maybe it will have some kind of conclusion that Night Mind will go apeshit for.

Speaking of Night Mind just the other week one of the subjects in his latest video had their hub obliterated so that sucks

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Conal Cochran posted:

I've been watching Linkara every week for several months at this point. I discovered him this time because of TV Tropes, because Atop the Forth Wall storyline was under some meta tropes. I'm not really sure why I like it so much - I did read comics, until local comic book stores kept closing until the most local became the one that is an hour drive away. But I like the vibe, I love the storylines, and it's just fun. And, yeah, to quote the movie, I just think everyone should have more fun. :cool:

The BF and I have also been watching "Welcome to the Basement" for years. We used to watch another series that they put out - Beer and Board Games - but dropped that after awhile. The conceit about "Welcome to the Basement" is that one of the guys has bought way more movies than he could ever watch, so they are slowly working though the back catalouge. Some of the movies are great, some of them are terrible, and they could be from any decade from the 1930's to roughly now. Most of the time, they agree on whether the movie was good or not, though very, very occasionally get into a heated debate about it. But it's usually just them being chill, drinking wine, and talking about film.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

dmboogie posted:

todd in the shadows and rap critic are the only people i've really followed consistently over the years, but thanks to however mentioned jenny nicholson's Worst Reality TV Show video because i looked it up without any real expectations but i was at rapt attention for the ~20 minute duration. she's cool and good

Exact same on the Worst Reality TV Show video. Holy hell.

I also loved her takedown on The Greatest Showman.

Lindsay has been a fav for years, back to NChick days. When I was having a really bad time of it, short videos were all i could do to distract from the anxiety, and she was a go to for that, so thanks, Lindsay.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

We did? Are you sure? :p

quote:

I watch her stuff occasionally. She's not high on my cartoon reviewer list but I've seen her stuff including that Steven Universe video which I think is her best work to date.

I just finished watching that video. I only chose it for the chance it would support my personal narrative that Steven Universe is tragically unfunny and it's popularity is a mystery to me.

I enjoyed it - I think the reviewer was a little tryhard at times, but it was an entertaining watch that kept me from doing stuff I should be doing for a while, so it works.

She reminds me of Super Butter Buns, who is one of my fave creators outside of the ones previously mentioned. She makes me laugh.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

KayTee posted:

I'm not sure, I probably missed it but these threads move fast.

KayTee posted:

I just finished watching that video. I only chose it for the chance it would support my personal narrative that Steven Universe is tragically unfunny and it's popularity is a mystery to me.

I enjoyed it - I think the reviewer was a little tryhard at times, but it was an entertaining watch that kept me from doing stuff I should be doing for a while, so it works.

She reminds me of Super Butter Buns, who is one of my fave creators outside of the ones previously mentioned. She makes me laugh.

Super Butter Buns is another reviewer I like. Her recent video on SMT: Nocturne is probably my favourite of hers so far. Her style of humour is right up my alley. I don't know how you'd describe it: ridiculous analogies, shouty sarcasm, and lots of funny editing.

It helps that she her tastes line up with mine. She's never made a video on a game I'm not interested in ( a lot of 3D platformers and JRPGs).

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

21 Muns posted:

she even does that weird thing where she draws a cool OC version of herself and uses it in her videos as a standin for herself, which I think originated from MLPFIM fandom, yikes -
Almost every single cartoon reviewer does this. I honestly find it distracting and I think that it often hinders them from growing in the way they talk and present things. Especially because they just reuse the same 4 stills and they are rarely more expressive than their actual face would be. Which is weird because that kind of the point of animation.
It's nice to see someone actually animate it though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ricdesi posted:

So I'm not insane, then, for not knowing who this guy was until like a month ago, cool.

If you ever wanted to sell me a conspiracy theory, it'd be one about how this dope suddenly gained a berjillion gatrillion followers overnight playing the same boring flavor of the month games as everyone else.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Yardbomb posted:

If you ever wanted to sell me a conspiracy theory, it'd be one about how this dope suddenly gained a berjillion gatrillion followers overnight playing the same boring flavor of the month games as everyone else.

i don't understand how twitch streaming is so popular
who has the time to watch five hours of unedited video game footage??? even as background noise, i've got like six things competing for that space

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sarcopenia posted:

Almost every single cartoon reviewer does this. I honestly find it distracting and I think that it often hinders them from growing in the way they talk and present things. Especially because they just reuse the same 4 stills and they are rarely more expressive than their actual face would be. Which is weird because that kind of the point of animation.

Do you really want to see Moviebob's face? Because you get that in his movie reviews, and it's why his In Bob We Trust series is slightly less frustrating.

Sometimes.

Occasionally.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

who has the time to watch five hours of unedited video game footage??? even as background noise, i've got like six things competing for that space

Hell, I watched a few TIHYDPs after Phil became a full time streamer and my god, the guy makes a career off people who are cool seeing someone mess with controls for 20 minutes.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

AriadneThread posted:

Children have a LOT of free time. And there are a LOT of children.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Yardbomb posted:

I literally only found out this guy exists because of the media shitstorm from dropping an N-bomb on his stream. If someone tried to sell me on him being a patsy for some convoluted YouTube/Twitch shadow war to manipulate the monetization platforms of both, I'd read into it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

KayTee posted:

I disagree with it on some points about the plot, but it's interesting to finally find a reviewer that discusses things from someone who has a full vocabulary for animation and an understanding of how animation can tell a story.

(lol there's at least one definite "plinketism" in here, "what's that on the ground, is this that the script")

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't know anyone who's a hardcore stream watcher so I don't know the rationale behind it, but hey I'm the guy who's in the middle of binging a stream archive of Final Fantasy VI T-Edition so even I will dedicate the time of watching a 100-hour video series as background noise if the game is interesting enough to me.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ricdesi posted:

I literally only found out this guy exists because of the media shitstorm from dropping an N-bomb on his stream.

I thought that was pewdiepie unless all these people are just terrible, which I could believe. Big twitch channels are trash, small to medium ones are nice.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BobbyK posted:

Gonna say that originated with Penny Arcade.

You ascribe way too much originality to the PA boys.

Sarcopenia posted:

I can see some benefits to having an abstracted avatar; you get a bit of armor in terms of the parasocial relationship thing, and maybe a bit less of random comments dummies critiquing your looks. Especially if you don't feel like doing full makeup and hair for every goddamn video.

If I were inclined to do talking head videos, I'd probably use a cute pet. More people should use their pets in videos. Pets are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Leal posted:

Hell, I watched a few TIHYDPs after Phil became a full time streamer and my god, the guy makes a career off people who are cool seeing someone mess with controls for 20 minutes.

I'm definitely not a typical stream watcher, but during, say, an SGDQ or AGDQ I definitely have the stream up all day on an extra monitor while I'm working

My guess is that kids and teenagers who are really into streaming tune in at the scheduled times the way that people used to for TV shows