Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Puppy Time posted:

I can see some benefits to having an abstracted avatar; you get a bit of armor in terms of the parasocial relationship thing, and maybe a bit less of random comments dummies critiquing your looks. Especially if you don't feel like doing full makeup and hair for every goddamn video.

I think for the cartoon reviewers, it's more to make the point that they are animators themselves, at least in the hobbyist sense, to give them credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Lindsay Ellis, Kyle Kallgren, Todd in the Shadows, Phelous, and Obscurus Lupa I really dig. I enjoyed Infamous Sphere’s videos, and have a backlog of SF Debris I ought to work through. Going to check out a few content producers this thread is introducing me to over the coming days.

Red Letter Media became so uniformly negative and smarmy about any new movies I stopped watching their material with the exception of Best of the Worst. Even in that there’s jokes that misfire terribly, or they stop things cold so they can whine about new movies. I only made it through about two minutes of that parody podcast because it was so insufferably smug.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
CGP Grey seems to have turned into a major proselytiser when it comes to stopping aging and death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZYNADOHhVY

Robert Denby posted:

Red Letter Media became so uniformly negative and smarmy about any new movies I stopped watching their material with the exception of Best of the Worst. Even in that there’s jokes that misfire terribly, or they stop things cold so they can whine about new movies. I only made it through about two minutes of that parody podcast because it was so insufferably smug.

This is the dumbest take on RLM's positions on new movies.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Yardbomb posted:

I thought that was pewdiepie unless all these people are just terrible, which I could believe. Big twitch channels are trash, small to medium ones are nice.

Him too. That too. But yeah, I learned who Ninja was because he dropped an N-inja on Twitch.

Robert Denby posted:

I only made it through about two minutes of that parody podcast because it was so insufferably smug.

Whoosh.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Off-topic but this is from a fairly obscure anime I just started watching this weekend so seeing it pop up here was a fun coincidence. In the unedited version he's asking if the butterfly is a pigeon.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

khwarezm posted:

CGP Grey seems to have turned into a major proselytiser when it comes to stopping aging and death.

in favor of stopping death or against it? because folks who are scared of death and loud about it tend to turn into creepy obsessives

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i don't understand how twitch streaming is so popular
who has the time to watch five hours of unedited video game footage??? even as background noise, i've got like six things competing for that space

Probably someone who isn't going to watch a movie right that second? That's like three movies or 10 episodes of half-hour TV. It's feasible that if someone wanted to watch it, they could manage that.

Also, who are these nutjobs uploading 5 hour long videos to begin with? That sounds like a red flag to begin with. They're probably weird log cabin hermits or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IesraiFIFw0

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DoctorWhat posted:

in favor of stopping death or against it? because folks who are scared of death and loud about it tend to turn into creepy obsessives

Stopping it (jeez the video's right there). He's made a lot on this topic recently about what he considers the moral imperative to prevent aging and death and what he considers the Human race's Stockholm syndrome relationship with death that he thinks holds us back on the issue. I'm hardly thrilled at the prospect of myself or the people I know dying but the whole thing doesn't sit right with me, especially the way he writes off philosophical and religious views on the importance of death as backward or part of that Stockholm relationship and he kind of just glazes over what the repercussions for things like resource consumption or population growth would be in a world where people live ten times longer than they do now, or how it might ossify unpleasant power and class structures.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

AriadneThread posted:

i don't understand how twitch streaming is so popular
who has the time to watch five hours of unedited video game footage??? even as background noise, i've got like six things competing for that space

Twelve year olds.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

khwarezm posted:

lol I just figured it was a parable about climate change or some poo poo even though the pieces didn't exactly fit 100%

I struggle to believe he's actually mad people aren't putting their heads together hard enough in trying to figure out how to stop/delay death for us well-off first world assholes when we're not even trying hard enough to stop it where we know for sure we can (famine/disease around the world)

like it's the one thing rich capitalists are probably actually pumping money into for the good of themselves that might actually trickle down to the plebs so it's probably better funded than most things

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Insurrectionist posted:

lol I just figured it was a parable about climate change or some poo poo even though the pieces didn't exactly fit 100%

I struggle to believe he's actually mad people aren't putting their heads together hard enough in trying to figure out how to stop/delay death for us well-off first world assholes when we're not even trying hard enough to stop it where we know for sure we can (famine/disease around the world)

like it's the one thing rich capitalists are probably actually pumping money into for the good of themselves that might actually trickle down to the plebs so it's probably better funded than most things

Yeah, from what I understand a lot of money is being spent by Silicon Valley types (especially Jeff Bezos and, ugh, Peter Thiel) on preventing aging, which would tell you about who would benefit the most from this for a long time. Especially since for a huge amount of the Earth's population they have more immediate issues effecting their longevity than physically aging.

This was Grey's previous bit he did on the topic, with Kurzgesagt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25qzDhGLx8

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 24, 2018

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

khwarezm posted:

Stopping it (jeez the video's right there). He's made a lot on this topic recently about what he considers the moral imperative to prevent aging and death and what he considers the Human race's Stockholm syndrome relationship with death that he thinks holds us back on the issue. I'm hardly thrilled at the prospect of myself or the people I know dying but the whole thing doesn't sit right with me, especially the way he writes off philosophical and religious views on the importance of death as backward or part of that Stockholm relationship and he kind of just glazes over what the repercussions for things like resource consumption or population growth would be in a world where people live ten times longer than they do now, or how it might ossify unpleasant power and class structures.

He's building his own personal idea of religion, so a certain amount of animus towards existing ones is necessary.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Droyer posted:

Off-topic but this is from a fairly obscure anime I just started watching this weekend so seeing it pop up here was a fun coincidence. In the unedited version he's asking if the butterfly is a pigeon.

its a hot new meme

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, from what I understand a lot of money is being spent by Silicon Valley types (especially Jeff Bezos and, ugh, Peter Thiel) on preventing aging, which would tell you about who would benefit the most from this for a long time. Especially since for a huge amount of the Earth's population they have more immediate issues effecting their longevity than physically aging.

This was Grey's previous bit he did on the topic, with Kurzgesagt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25qzDhGLx8

Lol this dudes gonna have a very hard time getting older

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Alaois posted:

its a hot new meme

If by hot new you mean "I've been seeing variations on it for like four years on Tumblr".

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Lol this dudes gonna have a very hard time getting older

While I've stated my issues with him I don't think I have much argument with the notion that aging loving sucks and if there was a way to make it less lovely I probably would avail of it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

hopeandjoy posted:

If by hot new you mean "I've been seeing variations on it for like four years on Tumblr".

Yeah. Four years on Tumblr is what it takes for things to become new donchaknow.

Look forward to everyone's avatar changing to Misha Collins's face and people asking which color of the sky they love shortly.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

This seems like a pretty odd take to me given that so many prominent religions put importance in the idea of attaining some form of eternal life, and treat death as a bad thing. The more religious people I know, if they became secular, would probably be pretty committed to finding technological immortality; it's generally the more Christmas-and-Easter churchgoers who don't care about the afterlife stuff and would be okay with everyone just ceasing to exist when they die if it turns out that the whole religion thing isn't true. Transhumanism isn't an inherently secular movement because the religious population has learned to respect death as a natural and good part of life. Transhumanism is an inherently secular movement because the religious population believes that death is a problem that's already been resolved by the actions of God (or some similar variation). I'm all-in for making GBS threads on Silicon Valley tycoons for loving up people's lives with their "gig economy" nightmare, but trying to go to space or invent immortality or whatever other thing is just them trying to do something useful with their ill-gotten cash, and I applaud them for it even as I wish that it be done by someone with a better idea of what they're doing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Insurrectionist posted:

Actually the majority of pharmaceutical discoveries that actually cure things are found by public funding because the money's in selling insulin for 5000$ or making boner pills

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it's come up with Moviebob but really transhumanism is just a nicer face on eugenics anyway, why does a loving youtuber think he's gonna be in the elite caste post singularity where life will be better? Even if we have a full mass transhumanist awakening it's just gonna be like that Eclipse Phase tabletop game where most of us are getting uploaded into slave-bots or whatever. Why is he making letting Peter Thiel be our new vampire overlord such a critical issue.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
right, none of that bullshit erases the role of capital and how it influences power and stuff, the hierarchies won't change

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nothing solves the "problem" that consciousness is not something that is immutable and infinity preservable anyway. I don't want to, like, discount the anxiety that death or the termination of your stream of thought creates in the living but treating death like some "tyrant-dragon" to be defeated so that the human consciousness may continue unabated is a religious project.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Not really, the prospect of "gently caress death" pretty well appeals to anyone but crazies.

Getting there is the difficulty but if the option was "Die" or "Never Die" I'm gonna say people would pick the latter regardless of the majority of backgrounds.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

KayTee posted:

Children have a LOT of free time. And there are a LOT of children.

maybe? i don't think, or at least hope most children don't like, have a twitch prime account though
i follow loading ready live and they've been doing more and more streaming stuff over the years because it really pays apparently! people just throwing money at them to watch them play video games in real time, and like... good for them sure, but people really want to watch that?
i don't think it's just like, kids or a small collection of adults funding it all either seeing as they'll get people mailing them packages from all over the drat world as 'thanks' for their video game streams, sending them literal pounds of candy, or collections of hats.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will say though that Buddhism is a direct criticism of that thirst for immortality and it's a very popular philosophy worldwide.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, it's not maybe. It's mostly kids and very young adults with jobs.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And I do think conflating an acceptance of the temporal nature of our self to stockholm-syndrom strikes me as a good way to give yourself an obsessive anxiety if you don't temper it with religious mysticism. It's the deep-end that nietzsche dove off of.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

If you ever wanted to sell me a conspiracy theory, it'd be one about how this dope suddenly gained a berjillion gatrillion followers overnight playing the same boring flavor of the month games as everyone else.

there has to be botting going on. an almost nobody becomes the most subbed stream pretty much overnight and has absolutely lapped everyone else. doesn't even have a gimmick like dr disrespect either.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I think CGP Grey is subscribing to something akin to Nikolai Fyodorov's Common Task/Cause which says that nearly all of humanity's failings stem from our awareness of our impermanence. Fyodorov believed that it should be the whole of humanity's job to work towards this one goal. I can understand why an idealist might subscribe to that philosophy but thinking that life extension will benefit anyone other than the superwealthy in a society driven by capitalism is laughable.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

21 Muns posted:

This seems like a pretty odd take to me given that so many prominent religions put importance in the idea of attaining some form of eternal life, and treat death as a bad thing. The more religious people I know, if they became secular, would probably be pretty committed to finding technological immortality; it's generally the more Christmas-and-Easter churchgoers who don't care about the afterlife stuff and would be okay with everyone just ceasing to exist when they die if it turns out that the whole religion thing isn't true. Transhumanism isn't an inherently secular movement because the religious population has learned to respect death as a natural and good part of life. Transhumanism is an inherently secular movement because the religious population believes that death is a problem that's already been resolved by the actions of God (or some similar variation). I'm all-in for making GBS threads on Silicon Valley tycoons for loving up people's lives with their "gig economy" nightmare, but trying to go to space or invent immortality or whatever other thing is just them trying to do something useful with their ill-gotten cash, and I applaud them for it even as I wish that it be done by someone with a better idea of what they're doing.

Did you watch the video?

Religious figures tend to view death as something more integral to the human experience than Grey seems to accept and he directly confronts some of the more common arguments against his way of thinking in the video that pretty clearly seems directed at what religions often argue.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 24, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Groovelord Neato posted:

there has to be botting going on. an almost nobody becomes the most subbed stream pretty much overnight and has absolutely lapped everyone else. doesn't even have a gimmick like dr disrespect either.

Yeah that's been my thought from the start, that story doesn't sound like "WOW! INCREDIBLE! STREAMER BECOMES MEGASTAR OVERNIGHT!" that just sounds like "So someone sneakily invested some fat rear end cash in this guy huh?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

uhhhh lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Considering how many awful awful Toobers got so drat big, I can buy this Ninja dude getting huge overnight because he's good at the hardest loving game.

Remember Leafyishere?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

would you say they ninja'd the top spot?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Considering how many awful awful Toobers got so drat big, I can buy this Ninja dude getting huge overnight because he's good at the hardest loving game.

Remember Leafyishere?

Wasn't that the kid who just constantly made fun of another, younger, kid and always titled his videos as "The most cringy kid on youtube tries to do X"?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

yeah, and then his bj snapchats leaked on the internet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

yeah, and then his bj snapchats leaked on the internet.

What

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Vanderdeath posted:

I think CGP Grey is subscribing to something akin to Nikolai Fyodorov's Common Task/Cause which says that nearly all of humanity's failings stem from our awareness of our impermanence. Fyodorov believed that it should be the whole of humanity's job to work towards this one goal. I can understand why an idealist might subscribe to that philosophy but thinking that life extension will benefit anyone other than the superwealthy in a society driven by capitalism is laughable.

I agree, humanity's true Original Sin is the pursuit of personal immortality at the cost of our empathy. Actually achieving immortality is not the solution to that, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Exactly what I said.