Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Stevenson-Jack might get moved to Toronto. That's cool because it means I will be able to go and will probably be cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Stevenson-Jack might get moved to Toronto. That's cool because it means I will be able to go and will probably be cheap.

The ESPN article makes it seem pretty definite.

And yeah, I'm thinking I might head in myself.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Super cool for ya'll but isn't air Canada Centre a pretty big arena? Seems risky to hold anything but a big superfight-i mean Stevenson vs Jack is a great fight but neither are proven draws-there.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 24, 2018

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I shall see you fools at the hershey centre in mississauga for this fight

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

The SituAsian posted:

Super cool for ya'll but isn't air Canada Centre a pretty big arena? Seems risky to hold anything but a big superfight-i mean Stevenson vs Jack is a great fight but neither are proven draws-there.

Maybe. I've only been to the ACC once for a concert. Wasn't too bad. Most importantly though: when else am I going to go to something like this?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The cofeature to GGG-Vanes was supposed to be the return of Chocolatito but that has been scrapped and will now be replaced by Ceclia Braekhus vs Kali Reis. It will be the first ever women's fight on network HBO (there have been women's bouts on pay per view cards)

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/4/26/17288200/golovkin-vs-martirosyan-cecilia-braekhus-to-fight-on-hbo

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Yeah it does seem pretty random, but Toronto never has good fights and is full of rich idiots so I'm sure they'll manage

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There's some boxing happening in Germany tonight with Arthur Abraham headlining against a Danish garbageman that got beaten so badly last time out against John Ryder in London back in October that most people assumed his career was over. But hey, when you're in the Sauerland camp it doesn't matter how bad you are.

The only other name I know on there is Nieky Holzken and he's a kickboxer.

Show starts around 18:00 local time and is shown on German TV. The main event starts around 22:30 and is also shown on Danish tv, but since they don't care about anyone else they don't want to show all the undercard matches, so I'll have to find a stream somewhere.
It might be on some US station somewhere? I don't know if Sauerland has good connections in America.

WBO International Super Middleweight Championship:
Arthur Abraham: 76.2 kg
Patrick Nielsen: 76.2 kg

Light Heavyweight – 8 Rounds:
Leon Bunn: 80.5 kg
Tomas Adamek: 80.5 kg

Super Middleweight – 8 Rounds:
Nieky Holzken: 76.8 kg
Bernard Donfack: 77.7 kg

Super Welterweight – 6 Rounds:
Abass Baraou: 69.5 kg
Artur Mueller: 67.6 kg

Cruiserweight – 8 Rounds:
Kai Robin Havnaa: 90.0 kg
Frank Bluemle: 91.0 kg

Super Lightweight – 6 Rounds:
Andranik Hakobyan: 67.6 kg
Zoltan Szabo: 64.2 kg

Super Middleweight – 6 Rounds:
James Kraft: 76.2 kg
Marco Miano: 73.5 kg

Super Featherweight – 4 Rounds:
Alshawa Abdulwahab: 57.8 kg
Rolan Petrovics: 59.8 kg

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Nice fight between Magdaleno and Dogboe

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Big Baby Miller and this girl who has cancer :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAzCwFCiXPQ&t

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I was just checking the schedule and saw that Haye-Bellew 2 is on Saturday. What the poo poo? I haven't seen a drat thing about this fight.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

The SituAsian posted:

I was just checking the schedule and saw that Haye-Bellew 2 is on Saturday. What the poo poo? I haven't seen a drat thing about this fight.

It's being advertised quite heavily here. Really looking forward to it, the first was a blast.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i'm really looking forward to it because you just know something ridiculous is going to happen. wouldn't pay for it tho obvs

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Yea, I'm not ashamed to admit that the first was one of the most fun I've ever had watching boxing. Bellew was a massive underdog and I didn't care about either fighter so I loved cheering him on. Turns out he's quite a charismatic and intelligent chap as well.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

thehappyprince posted:

i'm really looking forward to it because you just know something ridiculous is going to happen. wouldn't pay for it tho obvs

the first one was an absolute farce but i couldn't look away and that counts for something

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

the first one was an absolute farce but i couldn't look away and that counts for something

Why was it a farce? I thought it was brilliant.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

willie_dee posted:

Why was it a farce? I thought it was brilliant.

i thought it was comical that bellew and haye's body were racing to see who could take out haye first and haye's body was winning. it was really sad that bellew couldn't hurt a guy who was disintegrating on live tv.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

i thought it was comical that bellew and haye's body were racing to see who could take out haye first and haye's body was winning. it was really sad that bellew couldn't hurt a guy who was disintegrating on live tv.

Right but he was also racing against not getting knocked out by the HAYMAKER

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

willie_dee posted:

Right but he was also racing against not getting knocked out by the HAYMAKER

yep. very watchable insanity.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IIRC Bellew broke his hand very early in the fight so it was a classic case of two cripples fruitlessly wailing on each other.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

linares / loma getting close and the hype is rising. this could be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ8ZnEmpQfE

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

IIRC Bellew broke his hand very early in the fight so it was a classic case of two cripples fruitlessly wailing on each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqw1FI1hfJA

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
When Tony kicked that tablarone we should of all known it was a pure barn burner on the cards, you can't fake that kind of grudge.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

linares / loma getting close and the hype is rising. this could be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ8ZnEmpQfE

is linares gonna have anything for loma? i dont really know poo poo about him

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Skip My Posts posted:

Linares is super talented (Emmanuel Steward said he was a beautiful boxer), but he's got paper skin and a glass jaw.

If those things hold up I think it could be a really interesting bout (but I don't think they will, and I think Vasyl is going to take his soul just like he's done to everyone else)

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 1, 2018

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Skip My Posts posted:

Honestly, I don't think so. Loma's good enough to land on anyone, and Linares doesn't react well to getting hit.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

Despite the legitimate criticism of linares, he's legit as gently caress, hasn't lost since 2012 and is a weight division up. Even if it's a blow out, it's a world class competition.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Linares is legit, but Lomachenko is going to ruin him.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Linares is legit, but Lomachenko is going to ruin him.

This is where I'm at. He's obviously not as bad as everyone thought when his career was left for dead after losing to Antonio DeMarco and Yeyo Thompson but everything since show him for what he really is: a very good boxer who has flashes-but only flashes-of incredible craft but can't maintain over time and really is not all that powerful. But for what it's worth I don't imagine he'll quit so that's an improvement over Loma's recent fare.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The real significance of this fight is that at the end of the day loma will be a world champ in a division that Mike still holds belts in.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Lomachenko is rightfully seen as one of the best fighters in the game but Linares isn't really given as much respect as he used to get.

This is by far Lomachenko's toughest fight. Linares is very skilled, probably the second most skilled opponent for Lomachenko after Rigondeaux. Unlike Rigondeaux though, Linares is in his athletic prime and holds a significant size advantage over Lomachenko. He's also fast, Lomachenko might be faster*, but Linares isn't going to get left behind by any means. Linares also has more power than Loma, even before you consider the difference in weight class.

Linares has weaknesses as well though, his paper skin is pretty well documented, and if Loma can cut him up the fight could easily end within the distance. Linares squares up sometimes, which would be be bad against Lomachenko, but I think he mostly does it when he thinks he's getting the better of another fighter.

Style wise it's interesting, Linares is a pretty aggressive fighter who likes to fight pretty close, so his reach advantage might not mean all that much. He isn't quite an infighter though, since he never really uses his physicality or throws his weight around, two things I think would be helpful against Lomachenko. Linares sometimes comes in pretty straight too, but I think he understands angles enough that he's not going to be baffled by Loma.

Look, on paper this should be a tough trial for Lomachenko. That said,

Julio Cruz posted:

After the Rigondeaux fight I'm literally never betting against Loma ever again.

*I only say this because I think I saw some comment from Linares that was like "Lomachenko might be faster than me but I can punch" or something like that, I'm not sure that's true though, Linares could well be faster than Lomachenko

TLDR; Linares is a legit lightweight champ with good boxing ability and he's stronger, longer, taller and heavier than Lomachenko. If Loma makes it look easy it's because Loma is really good. Somebody said that Linares has a glass jaw and I don't quite think that's true, he's never been properly knocked out, he's had three ref stoppages though. It won't really matter because Loma doesn't really hit that hard with any single punch at super featherweight, he's not going to be downing an even bigger guy.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Does anyone know how to write TBE in Thai?

https://twitter.com/badlefthook/status/991736887793643521?s=19

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bud Crawford's going old-school with his gloves for the Horn fight: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/03/gloves-with-no-foam-padding-to-be-used-in-jeff-horns-fight-with-terence-crawford

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

sounds like a good way to break your hand

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

edit: this is probably a better question for the Boxing Training thread!

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 4, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i hope this fight is as entertaining as the last one

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I watched Haye klitshko and him going on about his toe was so loving embarrassing but bellew seems like a proper bellend so i hope he gets smashed

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I.... I think one of the undercards has shat himself

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I.... I think one of the undercards has shat himself

He's 100% shat himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao