Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

At least they provided an obvious setup for how he'll fight another symBYEote. Dialogue seems awful, and ill probably never see whatever actress he says is awful at hiding as anything other than Sappersteins daughter from Parks and Rec. MONEY PWEEESSSEEE

Venom face seems okay tho. Hopefully it's in it for more than like almost none.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 24, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

At least they provided an obvious setup for how he'll fight another symBYEote. Dialogue seems awful, and ill probably never see whatever actress he says is awful at hiding as anything other than Sappersteins daughter from Parks and Rec. MONEY PWEEESSSEEE

She's also now the voice of Nanny in the new Muppet Babies.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

QuoProQuid posted:

It strikes me as something I would find in the bargain bin in the mid-2000s.

It's this decade's Catwoman.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You should probably know Jenny Slate by name at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i've looked up 4 different videos pronouncing symbiote and they're all different.

Maybe it's the word that is dumb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKf9QnDNJXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fZ36GQfyM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOqBxoCxlE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=257nNFA9YV4&t=49s

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Zombieland is pretty lousy, and Gangster Squad is even worse, so unless 30 Minutes or Less is a real hidden gem, shouldn't be surprising that Venom is looking rough.

This has been my assumption.

Ruben Fleischer has nothing to do with Venom, though, so why these three movies when only one applies (Will Beall writing Gangster Squad and co-writing Venom)?

Also lol to anyone assuming that "hey these two are the listed screenwriters" on a studio picture carrying any more weight than the ink on the poster, given the uncredited rewrites and polishes that are part and parcel with any big five production. You want to know how good a screenwriter who isn't Chris Nolan or Quentin Tarantino actually is, you usually have to dig into some small independent picture that they wrote, since those are the movies where the amount of outside interference on what ends up on screen from the original pages is going to least occur.

Double the amount of salt you need to take any listing with when it's an assigned production and not a spec, because you're being told basically from jump street "this movie needs this, this, this, and this, and we want this to happen to set up this in another movie if this one makes so-and-so amount of money, also if this could be a thing because we're gonna make a line of toys around it, by the way, Coke needs to be a big part of the movie, they are spending $30 million on product placement so if you could have a Coke machine save his life or maybe he always just asks for a Coke when he visits someone's house or something that'd be great".

Now imagine trying to write something entertaining, if not emotionally resonant, with a laundry list of things that the movie has to do and be, some at cross terms with other things, most of which you can't talk your way out of removing to make the screenplay work - all the while knowing once you hand it in (and then proceed to wait for the second check to be sent out because you held up your end of the deal and got a draft in by their deadline), it's going to be floating around the studio junior execs, each of which saying "well could we have this, just make a new character for it" and "this seems unclear, can we have a character who explains that" and random notes otherwise, some of which are actually helpful, and a lot of which end up being "needs more dog". Also, you might get "let go" after this draft anyway and it'll be passed around a dozen other screenwriters who'll chip away at it until it doesn't read like you, or anyone, anymore.

Screenwriters are basically the retail salespersons of the movie industry. There's a reason why a lot of them flee to TV, where - much like stage theater - they get an applicable amount of respect and control over their careers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

You should probably know Jenny Slate by name at this point.

Jenny Slate is amazing and Mona Lisa and Jean Ralphio are two of the best side characters in the history of television.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Cameo posted:

Ruben Fleischer has nothing to do with Venom, though,

Are you being cheeky or something

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Wait, is Fleischer the director of this movie

I seriously didn't even loving realize. He's so indistinct a director I assumed it was random journeyman TV director #68 or an indie guy with one feature under his belt or something.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Well that was a fun trip.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you think that is impressive, wait until you see our "from the director of Iron Man 3" card for Predator!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

If you think that is impressive, wait until you see our "from the director of Iron Man 3" card for Predator!

Why not have some fun with that then?

"From the guy who got killed first by The Predator"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also Iron Man 3 is the best.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It also doesn't trigger a billing block, making life a little easier.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You better make that Predator trailer pop!!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Cameo posted:

Ruben Fleischer has nothing to do with Venom, though, so why these three movies when only one applies (Will Beall writing Gangster Squad and co-writing Venom)?

Also lol to anyone assuming that "hey these two are the listed screenwriters" on a studio picture carrying any more weight than the ink on the poster, given the uncredited rewrites and polishes that are part and parcel with any big five production. You want to know how good a screenwriter who isn't Chris Nolan or Quentin Tarantino actually is, you usually have to dig into some small independent picture that they wrote, since those are the movies where the amount of outside interference on what ends up on screen from the original pages is going to least occur.

Double the amount of salt you need to take any listing with when it's an assigned production and not a spec, because you're being told basically from jump street "this movie needs this, this, this, and this, and we want this to happen to set up this in another movie if this one makes so-and-so amount of money, also if this could be a thing because we're gonna make a line of toys around it, by the way, Coke needs to be a big part of the movie, they are spending $30 million on product placement so if you could have a Coke machine save his life or maybe he always just asks for a Coke when he visits someone's house or something that'd be great".

Now imagine trying to write something entertaining, if not emotionally resonant, with a laundry list of things that the movie has to do and be, some at cross terms with other things, most of which you can't talk your way out of removing to make the screenplay work - all the while knowing once you hand it in (and then proceed to wait for the second check to be sent out because you held up your end of the deal and got a draft in by their deadline), it's going to be floating around the studio junior execs, each of which saying "well could we have this, just make a new character for it" and "this seems unclear, can we have a character who explains that" and random notes otherwise, some of which are actually helpful, and a lot of which end up being "needs more dog". Also, you might get "let go" after this draft anyway and it'll be passed around a dozen other screenwriters who'll chip away at it until it doesn't read like you, or anyone, anymore.

Screenwriters are basically the retail salespersons of the movie industry. There's a reason why a lot of them flee to TV, where - much like stage theater - they get an applicable amount of respect and control over their careers.

Okay but Venom still looks garbo

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

It also doesn't trigger a billing block, making life a little easier.

Can you say something positive about Predator to keep my hope alive plz

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

:geno:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shane Black hasn't made a bad movie yet.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it will probably be shorter than two and a half hours! that's a positive in my book.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What about it is so bad. Because the things I've heard is "It's too funny" or "It's weird". I've read the leaks and fans are losing their minds because of somethings that doesn't sound all that bad unless you're really rigid in how you need your Predator movies to go.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

:smith:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Geno is neither bad nor good. I haven't seen it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lose your job for goons!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Deakul posted:

Maybe, but decidedly less garbo than Infinity War.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Deakul posted:

No argument there.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Tom Hardy sounds like he is impersonating all of James McAvoy's personalities in Split only it's one guy.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Venom look generic as all poo poo. I feel like I've watched it already. God drat, I had higher (ish) hopes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

So did Marvel have any input into the Venom movie other than " Sounds terrible don't do it".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's never stopped them before sooo I dunno

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Venom looks good. Tom Hardy owns. The only good super hero movies are Sam Raimi spidermen.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pycckuu posted:

Venom looks good. Tom Hardy owns. The only good super hero movies are Sam Raimi spidermen.

A winning trio of opinions

The Tobey Spiderman movies do not hold up well. 2 skates by on the back of Oscar Molina's remarkable performance.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ammanas posted:

The Tobey Spiderman movies do not hold up well. 2 skates by on the back of Oscar Molina's remarkable performance.
Nah, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is legitimately one of the best superhero movies ever made and I would rather rewatch that over watching most new superhero movies any day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJQR6SNMF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL8hVXSDmNM

Every subsequent Spider-Man movie has failed to live up to that one. Homecoming was a nice surprise but I'd never claim that it was anywhere near as good as Spider-Man 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Nah, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is legitimately one of the best superhero movies ever made and I would rather rewatch that over watching most new superhero movies any day.

Every subsequent Spider-Man movie has failed to live up to that one. Homecoming was a nice surprise but I'd never claim that it was anywhere near as good as Spider-Man 2.

The Raimi Spiderman trilogy was always a little offputting to me, but it's a goddamn masterpiece when compared to the MCU diarrhea of the last decade.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ammanas posted:

You could at least get Alfred Molina's name right.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Trailer Thread Reboot: Remarkable Molina's Oscar Performance

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The Trailer Thread Reboot: Remarkable Molina's Oscar Performance

Yes, please.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Spider-Man 3 is perversely entertaining as well. Like, it's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it's hard not to sit back and revel in how loving stupid it is. At the very least, you can't accuse it of being boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
And the Sandman's birth scene is oddly beautiful in the rest of the movie's floating turdiness.

I want a movie poster for The Remarkable Oscar Molina on my wall now.