Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

LentThem posted:

I get the impression that Alex is missing the plot as much/as often as Hing is, but she covers it by just saying something hilarious and super random while Hing is just really confident about what he thinks is going on.

I think this is on the nose. It becomes a lot more noticeable in the Tomb of Annihilation series where there's a lot of classic D&D-style puzzles. Philge is generally confused and frustrated by these, and while that's 100% in character for her, you can tell it's stemming from Alex being confused and frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

inthesto posted:

Tomb of Annihilation series where there's a lot of classic D&D-style puzzles. Philge is generally confused and frustrated by these

Oh poo poo I forgot about the "carry someone on your back" puzzle until you mentioned that. Still, that whole episode was hilarious since Benny kept making GBS threads on the Indiana Jones tropes that every puzzle was based on.

Benny Interjections are going to be really missed in season 4

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
My favorite ToA moment is Hing and Alex struggling to figure out Ben's fake riddles and then their reactions when they finally realize it was all a red herring

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

I cant express in words how much of a treat you're in for going forward.

You were right

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is there an mp3 for any of Johnny Playstations song out there anywhere? I need them.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is there an mp3 for any of Johnny Playstations song out there anywhere? I need them.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/girlfriend-by-8410081
https://www.patreon.com/posts/girlfriend-by-8410118

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Now that I've caught up on this podcast it's going to hurt waiting 2 weeks between episodes. Ive still got tons of Tomb of Annihilation content to go through but I generally dont have access to youtube on my phone.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
New ep

I'm pretty sure that entire episode was only supposed to take 10 minutes in Dave's head. This is like Murder on the Rockport Limited with severe brain damage. It rules.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah well, sometimes you got to talk about Disney's Aladdin.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I feel like the music was definitely improved in this episode, but I still miss Benny most of all - dude was just brilliant at doing things on the fly.

Like, I assumed more of it was cut in after the recording until I saw their ToA videos online, turns out he's just extremely good live.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Inzombiac posted:

I have a crush on Alex Lee. She's the most interesting roleplayer, I think. Philge is maybe the only idiot barbarian I've seen that comes from such a lovable yet misguided maternal instinct.

So drat good.

Check her out on the Checkout; I don't think that the ABC region locks their videos on youtube but there should be some on there to watch.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Tom Walker's 21st birthday gift is the best story holy poo poo

engraving it with his full name so he can never throw it away

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Since this is my thread and I don't give a poo poo, I'm gonna plug Dungeon Rats because it's a pretty great podcast. It's not a live show, but it's a bunch of improv actors being stupid as hell, and it's basically Dragon Friends dialed back to 9 (DF is up to 12).

Just, uh, skip the third episode.

e: Also there's something amusing about Alex knocking Ben's teeth out of his mouth. If only Philge were this competent!

inthesto fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 22, 2018

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Joining in here now that I’m finally caught up (mostly, still got ToA to look forward to!). Holy gently caress it’s refreshing to listen to a comedy podcast where I actually understand the cultural references!

The latest season has really knocked it out of the park, especially the episode with Montaigne. I was convinced her song was super important because it reminded me of this song from Tripod’s D&D show which I was too entranced by to pay attention to the lyrics when I first heard it. Kind of glad it wasn’t though, I liked the character she turned out to be.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 24, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Is there any place to download that Montaigne song?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Started and am Mid-season 1. Is Freezo going to witch bolt every NPC that mildly inconveniences the Party? Good Lord

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Michael Hing is a pro-gamer and initially treats D&D like he's trying to win it. He tries to rules lawyer here and there, but its still pretty funny. You can actually pinpoint the exact session after he reads the players handbook if you pay attention.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 24, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not Operator posted:

Michael Hing is a pro-gamer and initially treats D&D like he's trying to win it. He tries to rules lawyer here and there, but its still pretty funny. You can actually pinpoint the exact session after he reads the players handbook if you pay attention.

as far as I could tell, Dave is very happy that Hing doesn't realize he can use Eldritch Blast at will

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Pastrymancy posted:

Started and am Mid-season 1. Is Freezo going to witch bolt every NPC that mildly inconveniences the Party? Good Lord

At one point, one of the other players even points out that Freezo would rather murder a person than finish a mildly uncomfortable conversation.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Hing's best kill (in ToA) doesn't even involve casting a spell

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Threep posted:

Hing's best kill (in ToA) doesn't even involve casting a spell

IMO, his best kill is when he uses Gaseous Form to get inside a guy's lungs and then changes back to try to telefrag him, only for Dave to give him the middle finger and for it to turn out horribly. Naturally, Freezo doesn't flinch.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

If the kill Threep is talking about is wishing to Dave to kill the NPC from the historical society, and succeeding on the very unlikely roll to do so, then I agree it was amazing.

Actually, the paladin of Tyr is very good too. Goddamn, he has some amazing moments in those streams.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Not Operator posted:

I'm pretty sure you can pinpoint the exact session because he loudly shouts that he'd read the book. I'm very glad Hing is part of the crew because he's such a good balance to the rest of them. I love the times he'll make a lovely joke and the crowd's complete lack of a reaction is perfect.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

I'm liking Alex a lot as well because she has really good comedic timing for Philge comments

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure you can pinpoint the exact session because he loudly shouts that he'd read the book. I'm very glad Hing is part of the crew because he's such a good balance to the rest of them. I love the times he'll make a lovely joke and the crowd's complete lack of a reaction is perfect.

The whole group dynamic (including the audience) is just great. There's definitely moments where Hing goes just a little too far, but the audience is good about reacting appropriately to it, and the rest of the group is good about giving him poo poo (firmly, but playfully) for it.

Season 3 is a case study of it

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Not Operator posted:

If the kill Threep is talking about is wishing to Dave to kill the NPC from the historical society, and succeeding on the very unlikely roll to do so, then I agree it was amazing.

Dave sounded so defeated for a while afterwards as he was forced to follow through on that narration and finally had to just be like "You know what Freezo? Actions need to have consequences, so here's what happens to you - and nobody else in the party knows about this"

One thing I've really liked throughout the seasons is Edan coming up with these stupid and elaborate actions for Baston to take, and then constantly failing his dice checks.

Also going "sick!"

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Edan is a joy and I'm glad they somehow swindled him into being a full-time cast member.

(He's the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest!)

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

The way Simon says "Hello Bees" cracks me up everytime.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Aha, the Freezo thing from my last post, I just realized Dave talked about it in the Episode 6 Q&A

"I was so rattled by that - When I say 'you have to roll a 96' that means NO but the dice showed me up"

Also he had plans for that character and now we'll never know :smith:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LentThem posted:

Dave sounded so defeated for a while afterwards as he was forced to follow through on that narration and finally had to just be like "You know what Freezo? Actions need to have consequences, so here's what happens to you - and nobody else in the party knows about this"

One thing I've really liked throughout the seasons is Edan coming up with these stupid and elaborate actions for Baston to take, and then constantly failing his dice checks.

Also going "sick!"

One of my favorite moments in season 3 is hing trying to make a complicated stock market transaction in the middle of a panicked evacuation and Dave cuts him off with “you get trampled by the crowd and take 5 hit points of damage”

I love edan too; he has a very soothing background laugh. I also love how the dice refuse to allow him to land any of his fly kicks

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Ainsley McTree posted:

I also love how the dice refuse to allow him to land any of his fly kicks

He's landed one, I think. He fly kicked an unlocked door and hurt himself.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I slept on tomb of annihilation for a while and that was a mistake

Do wish they'd put it out as audio though, kind of awkward to have leave my phone unlocked while the video plays

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

lets hang out posted:

Do wish they'd put it out as audio though, kind of awkward to have leave my phone unlocked while the video plays

Yeah that's my issue

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

I finished Season 1 and I really didn't expect it to end via someone making GBS threads on a dead person and for that person not to have been Freezo

Is the NPC guy taking a break in Season 2?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ben comes back maybe halfway through the season?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Question: are the youtube sessions available as audio downloads anywhere? I just wanna load them up on my podcast app.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ben is in America for the first half of season 2, which is why Edan is brought in to play the NPCs. By season 3, Ben and Edan share NPC duties. Ben's episode on being in America is loving great.

And sadly no, ToA is not in audio format yet.

e: The latest Story Club is from Dungeon Dave! Turns out he's a really good storyteller when he's not being constantly interrupted.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 29, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
New episode. It's somehow the drunkest and filthiest one yet.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Tangentially, if anyone listens to Free To A Good Home, that updated today too for the first time in months. No Ben, just Hing with two guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni

inthesto posted:

New episode. It's somehow the drunkest and filthiest one yet.

I enjoyed trying to identify which of them was the drunkest, as Hing suggested in the introduction. I originally thought it was Alex, but by the end I think it had to be Dave.