Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
My original joke for the OP was “HAWKMAN - If Smallville did better, you hosed up.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know that I'm prepared to go that far.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Neither was I. It’s a surprisingly lateral move.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

8one6 posted:

And there was his famous tuna casserole.

Anyone who eats cookies with a spoon is not to be trusted.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Elentor posted:

Who is more of a character - Hunter's coat or Hawkman?

Hunter's coat got a rescue mission. The show is pretty clear about which one is more important.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wish they could go back and redo the hawk-people stuff with the tone of the past two seasons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I pointed it out back when it aired but Kendra actually destroyed their ability to keep meeting each other over and over because she took Carter out of his timeline so he wasn't there to meet her future incarnation. This obviously rippled back in time and wiped the Hawks from all of history.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

I wish they could go back and redo the hawk-people stuff with the tone of the past two seasons.

Blame Flashpoint

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The Hawks were an anachronism that the Time Bureau fixed off screen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I liked smallville Hawkman. I can't say the same for this one. That JSA 2 parter smallville did was pretty great to be honest. In fact Smallville as a whole was pretty good during those last 3 or 4 seasons; though I doubt I could go back and watch them again now; the arrowverse has done such a great job since.

Also knowing that Chloe Sullivan's actor is a Cultist Sex Trafficker kinda makes it weird.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched every goddamned episode of Smallville last year, it barely comes up to LoT season 1 levels.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rhyno posted:

I watched every goddamned episode of Smallville last year.

Were you being punished for something?

I readily admit the early seasons were crap, and the middle seasons were worse crap; but there was a very distinct turnaround once they started to make it a justice league show. Obviously it's much, much worse than modern shows. Perhaps going back and seeing it after having seen arrow/flash/LoT etc makes it that much worse.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The later seasons comic book stuff - especially the JLA, JSA, and Legion stuff - stood out as a huge improvement at the time. But I went back and rewatched some of that earlier this year and its really, really bad. Like Smallville wasn't THAT long ago to warrant "eh, it was good for the time" framing. There's one year between Smallville's end and Arrow's beginning. That's three years before Flash and 5 before Legends. Its a shocking jump in quality.

We were just really hungry for some comic stuff and the MCU had just barely started really kicking off the modern era of no excuses, full blown comic fare.

Like, if Legends S1 had come out during Smallville's run we would have been falling all over ourselves to praise it. Hell, we probably would have been really forgiving to Inhumans.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bentacos posted:

The Hawks were an anachronism that the Time Bureau fixed off screen.

"Fixed" :commissar:

I didn't watch Arrow until at least after season 2, so it was more removed from Smallville for me. It is weird to think that Smallville wasn't that long ago, it always felt like a 90s genre action show like Buffy or Xena.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't watch Arrow until at least after season 2, so it was more removed from Smallville for me. It is weird to think that Smallville wasn't that long ago, it always felt like a 90s genre action show like Buffy or Xena.

Don't insult Buffy and Xena like that. Both of those shows were actually enjoyable to watch.

Smallville is the Andromeda or Cleopatra 2525 of superhero shows.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I hope we get an episode of Nate after he's dropped some super high quality 1970s LSD

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

twistedmentat posted:

I think the fact that Smallville was on for so long ends up warping our perspective a bit since we frame it more as when it started then when it ended.

There's also that its last few seasons happened during the beginning of the modern era when Nolan's Batman movies and the MCU were kind of establishing a new standard for comic media. Smallville was still the "standard bearer" (only option) on TV and was basically limping along by giving its starving fans some real comic elements but it wasn't very good. It was just the only option. And by the end at least it was trying instead of all those years of fighting so hard not to be a comic book show.

It basically takes five years for us to go from Smallville alone to full blown four show Arrowverse, Agents of SHIELD w/ Agent Carter, and Netflix debuting Daredevil as the kick off for a Defenders franchise. Its startling how quick it happened when you step back and look at it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah but Smallville was bad from the start.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
e: wrong thread

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this! posted:

Just a reminder that there is a thread for Arrow so take your complaints about how terrible Diaz is (and he is so terrible) there. This is a happy thread for an awesome show.

I'm really happy this show isn't arrow :D

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's the thing, though. It wouldn't work with both of them, you'd need to make Kendra actually be Shayera from Than—ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Right.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I hope we get an episode of Nate after he's dropped some super high quality 1970s LSD

I wouldn't mind an episode where the whole crew is all tripping for whatever reason.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

So we've established that Citizen Steel is either a habitual drug user or an accidental drug user?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CobiWann posted:

So we've established that Citizen Steel is either a habitual drug user or an accidental drug user?

Acid is medicinal

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

CobiWann posted:

John Noble was a bad influence on him:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

CobiWann posted:

We prefer the term recreational enthusiast

hangedman1984 posted:

John Noble was a bad influence on him:

This has been in the back of my head the entire season

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On Vandal Savage - I liked his initial two parter on Flash, because he had some personality there, like when Barry asks him if he practiced his speech in from of a bathroom mirror and he actually laughs at the joke. He was able to laugh at himself. Then he got boring.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

BioEnchanted posted:

On Vandal Savage - I liked his initial two parter on Flash, because he had some personality there, like when Barry asks him if he practiced his speech in from of a bathroom mirror and he actually laughs at the joke. He was able to laugh at himself. Then he got boring.

1950s Suburban Husband Vandal Savage was pretty great too. When they let the character actually be a character and have some fun he was wonderful and the actor seemed to have a ball. But most of the time he was just generic and flat as all hell and it really is a drat shame because just like Darrhk he's a pretty perfect "run into him at various points across time" villain they could have had a ball with. If only they'd saved him for season 2.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also I bought Darrhk's speech to Sarah as well, including the apology - I like the idea that before Nora was taken from him he had no concept of what it meant to care for someone else as anything other than a pawn, and as soon as those emotions take hold he finally realises just why Sarah cares so much about killing him.

Also, was Nora Darrhk the same daughter from when he tried to blow up the world with Nukes in his season of Arrow? The little girl in the mansion who's mother got crushed under a pile of rubble?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Also I bought Darrhk's speech to Sarah as well, including the apology - I like the idea that before Nora was taken from him he had no concept of what it meant to care for someone else as anything other than a pawn, and as soon as those emotions take hold he finally realises just why Sarah cares so much about killing him.

Also, was Nora Darrhk the same daughter from when he tried to blow up the world with Nukes in his season of Arrow? The little girl in the mansion who's mother got crushed under a pile of rubble?

Yup.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I buy that Darkh was sincere about his feelings about Nora and how her danger changed his perspective.

But you know, he's still a sociopath. To my understanding the former doesn't disqualify the latter.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

I buy that Darkh was sincere about his feelings about Nora and how her danger changed his perspective.

But you know, he's still a sociopath. To my understanding the former doesn't disqualify the latter.

Sociopaths don’t feel human emotion the same way. He may be callous and flippant about murder to the point of sheer insanity but I believe his moment of “whoops hosed up my life” clarity.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think hanging out with Nate is what turned Darkh around

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked
Sarah: "Don't do anything stupid Ray... NOTHING STUPID!"
Darrhk: *Excitedly*"Are you really planning on doing something stupid?"

Then the Payoff with
Ray: "There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for what I'm doing..."
Nate: "I'm listening."
Darrhk: "I'm kinda interested in this myself..."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chokes McGee posted:

Sociopaths don’t feel human emotion the same way. He may be callous and flippant about murder to the point of sheer insanity but I believe his moment of “whoops hosed up my life” clarity.

My understanding is that a "sociopath" is someone who is prone to impulsive, angry, violent, cruel actions who don't empathize with the strangers but can still build very strong emotional connections to people they know. And "psychopaths" are people who can't empathize with anyone but can hide it with charm and control. And these two terms are often confused.

So Darkh caring deeply about his daughter and wanting to help her, but willing to murder millions of people with nukes or raise a demon to kill countless people is that "sociopath" definition to an extreme.

Lets remember who Darkh is. Sarah and Mick killed some people. Darkh tried to destroy or control the world on at least 3 different occasions. After a life as an assassin and crime boss.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

My understanding is that a "sociopath" is someone who is prone to impulsive, angry, violent, cruel actions who don't empathize with the strangers but can still build very strong emotional connections to people they know. And "psychopaths" are people who can't empathize with anyone but can hide it with charm and control. And these two terms are often confused.

My understanding is pretty much the opposite. Sociopaths don't have a sense of empathy, but they do still understand human emotions because they feel them. Psychopaths have very limited emotions, and as a result have a very poor sense of right and wrong.

So sociopaths are better at hiding any potential darker impulses and can be more manipulative, because even if they don't care about the people they are hurting, they do understand how people would react, even if that's just to work out how their actions would ultimately impact them. Psychopaths would find it much harder to hide potential darker impulses, because they wouldn't inherently understand that they were wrong, and needed to be hidden.

I don't think either require them to be "evil" either, even if it is a risk. The classic example would be the modern Sherlock Holmes rejecting being called a psychopath and correcting it to be a higher functioning sociopath. He helps lots of people, but he doesn't really care about them.

That said, I think the terms aren't concrete, and so depending on what country you're in, you get different answers. Some places they are interchangeable, some places they are different, some places have one but not the either, some don't use either and have antisocial personality disorders instead.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

We prefer the term recreational enthusiast

We encourage light-to-moderate drug experimentation on this ship.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Elentor posted:

Happy to oblige.

*In a wood-tier acting monotone voice: "I will save you from the villain who wants to forcefully be your lover for all eternity by being creepy and forcing you to be my lover for all eternity."

"Remember, you cannot have any boyfriend but me. I must now proceed to have no interaction whatsoever with any other cast member, or have any hobbies, interests or personality for that matter."

Okay, so... How was Savage's endgame supposed to work? He has to kill the Hawkpeople every so often to keep his immortality juices flowing, but he also wants Sheyara to ditch Hawkboy and be with him. So... can he just kill Hawkboy and get enough juice to stay alive, or is he planning on a weird sort of relationship with her where they're happily married for a bit, then he stabs her to death and enjoys the single life for a while until they meet up again on her next resurrection? For some reason I'm assuming settling down with her and just dying at the end of his natural lifespan isn't on the table for him.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think he's just resentful she doesn't want him and gave up on having a love affair and instead wants to just use them as his life support for all eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

Neither one is a technical term with a strict definition, and anyone telling you what they "really mean" or how to "diagnose a psychopath" is talking out of their arse. They're basically interchangeable and largely meaningless terms used to label a broad range of (mostly negative) personality traits and characteristics.