Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MF_James posted:

This sounds too good to be true, was your boss literally satan? I mean, with this job you don't even need boat money, they let you borrow the boat!

The dirty secret was that they also held exit interviews aboard Meeting.

"I know it was you Fredo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Something about that Meeting smelled fishy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there any way to shrink PDF file sizes if you only have Acrobat Reader? People keep sending PDFs too large for our software’s document archive. I tried doing print to pdf with just one page and it somehow came out larger. The options for shrinking PPI or resolution don’t work in Reader. The last thing I can think of is take a screenshot and shrink it, but I don’t know if they need the W9s as PDFs for some reason.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there any way to shrink PDF file sizes if you only have Acrobat Reader? People keep sending PDFs too large for our software’s document archive. I tried doing print to pdf with just one page and it somehow came out larger. The options for shrinking PPI or resolution don’t work in Reader. The last thing I can think of is take a screenshot and shrink it, but I don’t know if they need the W9s as PDFs for some reason.

Print it and then scan it in at a low DPI :haw:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nimper posted:

Print it and then scan it in at a low DPI :haw:

Then convert it to a QR code

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Then convert it to a QR code

The scan the QR code to get the image, which you can embed in a pdf and save.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-PDF-File-Size#Using_Adobe_Acrobat_Pro_sub

WIKIHOW!

I hope this helps. Because it will be the first time wikihow has ever been useful if so

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unfortunately, I just have reader, not pro.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pdf+reduce+size+online&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Bunch of free online compressors.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m concerned about possible data harvesting with those no-name applications because these are tax forms with EINs, SSNs, and anything else needed to commit fraud. Are there any reputable ones?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m concerned about possible data harvesting with those no-name applications because these are tax forms with EINs, SSNs, and anything else needed to commit fraud. Are there any reputable ones?

No.

To be honest, if you are processing sensitive data then springing a couple of hundred bucks for Acrobat Pro is a no-brainer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The scan the QR code to get the image, which you can embed in a pdf and save.

Here we go again!

e: I think this is where it ended

oh wait!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 24, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

spog posted:

No.

To be honest, if you are processing sensitive data then springing a couple of hundred bucks for Acrobat Pro is a no-brainer.

I’ll see if something like that is a possibility.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How large are the pdfs we talking about?

How feasible is it to change your software's archive to accept larger pdfs?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ll see if something like that is a possibility.

Another alternative is to set a max file size limit on any submissions and make it their responsibility.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh man now yall have me combing the archives for nostalgia.

:allears:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&pagenumber=560&perpage=40#post445983555

http://tindeck.com/listen/xbbtk

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I ditched my old gig working a helpdesk for a shadowy and possibly malevolent government security contractor (mostly software support). I'm with the public school system now and just finished training and was turned loose onto my unsuspecting schools last week, just in time for standardized testing season! Which was terrifying, but everything somehow went relatively well this year. All in all this job has been extremely chill which I am super not used to.

I was just sitting here contemplating how nice it is to actually be a little bored sometimes when a secretary frantically pounding on my office door came in. "There is a cart of computers in room 482 that is on fire!", she says. Welp if it's actually on fire I might not be the best person to go to first but hey let's take a look.

I get there and of course nothing is on fire. The room doesn't even smell like smoke.

:v: Hi, you're having some sort of problem with your computer cart?
:byodame: I don't know the kids just smelled smoke and I looked over there and smoke was just billowing out all over the place.
:v: Yikes! It looks like it's unplugged now, so that''s good.
:byodame: I DON'T KNOW WHO DID THAT.
:v: (whoa did I say something wrong?) No, it's okay. Don't worry about it. Did you see that the smoke was coming from anywhere in particular before it... became unplugged? Any unusual sounds or sparks or anything? Was anyone doing anything near the cart at the time?
:byodame: oh no, there was just smoke everywhere.
:v: Okay, no problem. I'm going to go ahead and wheel the whole thing down to my office, if there's an electrical fault somewhere I want to make sure there's no kids around that might touch it.
:byodame: *blank stare, no sign of acknowledgement, then goes back to teaching*

I wheel the thing out of the room and make it about 20 feet whilst contemplating methods of isolating if the smoke was coming from one of the 30 PCs on that cart, any of the 30 PC's power cords, or maybe the cart's power supply, and how long going over all this is going to take... before a 2nd grader runs out and literally says "Hey mister!" which is a thing that kids do in movies all the time but I had no idea they did in real life (I do not have kids and am pretty much never around them, until now). "Did you know which computer had the problem? It was this one right here."

He then pulls a laptop out of the cart whips it around, and points to the VGA port. Which is black and toasted. None of the students have anything that hooks up to VGA so there's a pretty good chance I would have glanced right over that.

Thanks, kid! I mean, sure, there's maybe some questions I could have asked about how he happened to know so many specifics there, but hey, even if he had anything to do with it, he provided EXACTLY enough info to point me in the right direction without actually incriminating himself. Maybe there is hope for our future (users)!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

nominal posted:

I ditched my old gig working a helpdesk for a shadowy and possibly malevolent government security contractor (mostly software support). I'm with the public school system now and just finished training and was turned loose onto my unsuspecting schools last week, just in time for standardized testing season! Which was terrifying, but everything somehow went relatively well this year. All in all this job has been extremely chill which I am super not used to.

I was just sitting here contemplating how nice it is to actually be a little bored sometimes when a secretary frantically pounding on my office door came in. "There is a cart of computers in room 482 that is on fire!", she says. Welp if it's actually on fire I might not be the best person to go to first but hey let's take a look.

I get there and of course nothing is on fire. The room doesn't even smell like smoke.

:v: Hi, you're having some sort of problem with your computer cart?
:byodame: I don't know the kids just smelled smoke and I looked over there and smoke was just billowing out all over the place.
:v: Yikes! It looks like it's unplugged now, so that''s good.
:byodame: I DON'T KNOW WHO DID THAT.
:v: (whoa did I say something wrong?) No, it's okay. Don't worry about it. Did you see that the smoke was coming from anywhere in particular before it... became unplugged? Any unusual sounds or sparks or anything? Was anyone doing anything near the cart at the time?
:byodame: oh no, there was just smoke everywhere.
:v: Okay, no problem. I'm going to go ahead and wheel the whole thing down to my office, if there's an electrical fault somewhere I want to make sure there's no kids around that might touch it.
:byodame: *blank stare, no sign of acknowledgement, then goes back to teaching*

I wheel the thing out of the room and make it about 20 feet whilst contemplating methods of isolating if the smoke was coming from one of the 30 PCs on that cart, any of the 30 PC's power cords, or maybe the cart's power supply, and how long going over all this is going to take... before a 2nd grader runs out and literally says "Hey mister!" which is a thing that kids do in movies all the time but I had no idea they did in real life (I do not have kids and am pretty much never around them, until now). "Did you know which computer had the problem? It was this one right here."

He then pulls a laptop out of the cart whips it around, and points to the VGA port. Which is black and toasted. None of the students have anything that hooks up to VGA so there's a pretty good chance I would have glanced right over that.

Thanks, kid! I mean, sure, there's maybe some questions I could have asked about how he happened to know so many specifics there, but hey, even if he had anything to do with it, he provided EXACTLY enough info to point me in the right direction without actually incriminating himself. Maybe there is hope for our future (users)!

Awesome. Welcome to the world of lower education. It's equal parts frustrating and rewarding. We've set up kids to google hangouts video chat with people at NASA to talk about space stuff, and video chatted directly with this scientist dude out in the middle of some bumfuck rainforest in who knows where. I love having a hand in getting cool poo poo together for kiddos. Then, I loathe teaching people with masters' degrees how to right click something. All in all, definitely more rewarding than my previous gig working for a manufacturer run for no other reason than to pad two dipshit 40 year old adult children's trust funds.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If it helps, you probably make more than those people with a master’s.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
lol holy gently caress. our Sr SysEng just accidentally deleted our NetApp's service account. Whoops.

LOL HOLY gently caress THEN HE DELETED ALL OF OUR SHARES. GODDAMNIT

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol holy gently caress. our Sr SysEng just accidentally deleted our NetApp's service account. Whoops.

Hope your not salary, because lots of overtime in your future.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is why you don't delete anything, merely disable.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

He's retiring at 5pm, right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oops we deleted ur 401k

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There's no way it was accidental. I can't believe that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oops I accidentally the whole NetApp

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sounds like he might be about to delete his brains with a bullet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You have to be really trying to delete things in Ontap that are being used

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

At $job-2 we had a Senior Storage Engineer wipe the NetApp that had our biggest customer's environment on it. That was a looooooong weekend for a lot of the team, and led to a policy where no one was allowed to wipe storage remotely anymore.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If it helps, you probably make more than those people with a master’s.

Only the newbies. I do have a better parking spot though. And, I work all summer (no, teachers don't work on teacher things during the summer. If they do professional development, they get paid generously for it).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:rip: everything.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Has anyone here worked in Microsoft's premier support before?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So I've been trying to rule out slow laptops from this SMB issue we're having. I've got monitoring going watching a few users. I see one has a massive disk queue spike after logging on, for around 45 minutes this morning. This has been ongoing for weeks.

I send out an email, trying to be proactive maybe an hour after the event, and I get a shrug from the impacted user.

Me: Sir, I saw a lot of slowness on your machine between 7:45AM and 8:45 AM this morning. Can you help me understand what you were doing so we can pin down the slowness? File access? Outlook?Network share?
Him: Well, I suppose it was a bunch of email downloading . :downs:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think you might have mentioned it but I can't find the post - what are you using to get these end-user experience metrics?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I've been trying to rule out slow laptops from this SMB issue we're having. I've got monitoring going watching a few users. I see one has a massive disk queue spike after logging on, for around 45 minutes this morning. This has been ongoing for weeks.

I send out an email, trying to be proactive maybe an hour after the event, and I get a shrug from the impacted user.

Me: Sir, I saw a lot of slowness on your machine between 7:45AM and 8:45 AM this morning. Can you help me understand what you were doing so we can pin down the slowness? File access? Outlook?Network share?

From dealing with lovely users on similar issues, one thing that comes to mind is an AV scan that couldn't run on its previously scheduled time, so its just doing that on login. Either that or windows updates, which would work similarly.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Do you have folder redirection and offline files turned on? If you do, it could be attempting to sync, had this happen to a few users where their poo poo got out-of-sync and there were thousands of errors in the windows sync center and it would cause the machine to chug for 30-60 minutes after logon because it was attempting to sync and build the 'DB' of files.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In addition to the above, if you have folder redirection set up and just remove the GPO then it doesn't undo the change.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Oh vendors.

Me: One of my users can't save a new contract for client, they get a cryptic error

Vendor: Go into the database and run this query, the email it back.

Me: Ok. *emails excel file*

Vendor: Here is the issue, this column has a line flagged as s. If it has that flag, it can't be saved.

Me: So if one line is flagged as s, that prevents all other lines, including new lines generated by new contracts from state changing?

Vendor: Oh, I didn't know it was multiple contracts.

Me: But there is a column called contractid that has a bunch of different numbers, the excel file has a dozen lines with a unique number on it and your software literally makes every saved client interaction a new contract.

I haven't heard back from them yet. I'm guessing they don't know why its failing.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 25, 2018

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Excerpt from my boss’ response to my question about assigning the Page Manager role to a particular user:

quote:

For best practices, we need to limit page managers to just you, Vanessa, and Makala.

There are currently ten users who have been assigned the Page Manager role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

In addition to the above, if you have folder redirection set up and just remove the GPO then it doesn't undo the change.

This is true for a lot/most GPO settings, if you merely stop applying it, it will still be applied to any machine it was applied to (until windows is reinstalled or something) you need to do the opposite of whatever it was doing (i.e. disable something if it was enabled) and let it apply first before you remove the GPO.