Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Considering how many awful awful Toobers got so drat big, I can buy this Ninja dude getting huge overnight because he's good at the hardest loving game.

Remember Leafyishere?

fortnite is not a hard game and that guy in 4th on that list is the best at the hard game it's a ripoff of. game difficulty is immaterial, league of legends players get more viewers than dota 2. it's whatever's more popular in general.

streams don't just "blow up". they grow over time. even drdisrespect who has a gimmick and is near the top now took a couple months before he was one of the top dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Exactly what I said.

So uh.. does his genitals lack a scrotum much like how his face lacks a chin?

Don't answer that.

DoctorWhat posted:

I agree, humanity's true Original Sin is the pursuit of personal immortality at the cost of our empathy. Actually achieving immortality is not the solution to that, however.

I mean, its just death by old age caused by our molecule degenerating. I think we're a long ways away from stopping a bullet from killing a person.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can last to the last 5 players, but my shooty skills in that game are weak.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

CelticPredator posted:

yeah, and then his bj snapchats leaked on the internet.

Well that explains why he seems to have vanished overnight.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

whoa nelly i had not heard that leafy thing.

someone gave him a blowjob???

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Do you think he made the person giving it do that ok hand gesture that he uses to hide his chin?

Also does fortnite have a PC release? This Neptunia thing is weirdly giving me more subs but I want to become top streamer overnight. Overnite.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

and he took pics of it and saved it on his snapchat lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Leal posted:

Also does fortnite have a PC release? This Neptunia thing is weirdly giving me more subs but I want to become top streamer overnight. Overnite.

it's a pc game first. it's just noobs don't play games on pc anymore so they play with whatever doodoo console they got.

CelticPredator posted:

and he took pics of it and saved it on his snapchat lmao

i guess he was as surprised as i was.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a pc game first. it's just noobs don't play games on pc anymore so they play with whatever doodoo console they got.

Oh, looks like its not on steam so that pretty much means it isn't on PC :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Leal posted:

Oh, looks like its not on steam so that pretty much means it isn't on PC :v:

You have to play it off the trash rear end Epic launcher, which also led to a giant account compromise situation not too long ago because the security on that's as good as you'd imagine.

Leal posted:

I mean, its just death by old age caused by our molecule degenerating. I think we're a long ways away from stopping a bullet from killing a person.

Yeah, "immortality" when it potentially ever happens is gonna be like fantasy race "functional immortality", you don't die with time but a knife is still gonna kill you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You guys talking up mortality and existential dread know about Philosophy Tube, right? He’s a philosophy guy with a nice delivery and a solicitous demeanor who does concise videos that are mostly applied philosophy addressing contemporary questions that a wide audience might care about.

His monthly reading recommendation videos have given me at least one title a month that I’ve tried and ended up loving, and they’ve pushed me to try some stuff I’d never have tried otherwise (I’m not remotely a philosopher).

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah that's been my thought from the start, that story doesn't sound like "WOW! INCREDIBLE! STREAMER BECOMES MEGASTAR OVERNIGHT!" that just sounds like "So someone sneakily invested some fat rear end cash in this guy huh?"

I was going with astroturfing by the game makers to try and create a star system for the game.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A very unusual thing I have noticed about Ninja's socialblade (I've been looking at it for a while) is that there are these insane pops where there are suddenly tens of thousands of subscribers in an hour-long slice. Socialblade (which had been around for years) updates the subscribers hourly, so it's not a problem of granularity. Look at the 60,024 right here and compare it with the hours around it:

Obviously I'm no Youtube expert, but I haven't noticed anyone else that has their subscribers bunched up like that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I really feel like it's a matter of time before some huge story blows up about this, it feels so obvious.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Corek posted:

A very unusual thing I have noticed about Ninja's socialblade (I've been looking at it for a while) is that there are these insane pops where there are suddenly tens of thousands of subscribers in an hour-long slice. Socialblade (which had been around for years) updates the subscribers hourly, so it's not a problem of granularity. Look at the 60,024 right here and compare it with the hours around it:

Obviously I'm no Youtube expert, but I haven't noticed anyone else that has their subscribers bunched up like that.

Juicy. Not trying to take the air out of it, but does it line up at all with YouTube's various "subscriber readjustments"?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So what I hear is that Ninja got big off being the big guy to push Twitch Prime loot when Fortnite got it. Kids sign up to Prime to get Fortnite poo poo, then because he's the one reminding them about him they give him their free subs, and supposedly that's what led to him spiking to 250k and then losing a bunch. Second hand information, anyway.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I really feel like it's a matter of time before some huge story blows up about this, it feels so obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7qzKGm242k

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ricdesi posted:

Juicy. Not trying to take the air out of it, but does it line up at all with YouTube's various "subscriber readjustments"?

It's once (almost) every day.

I have been tracking this for a little while now and sometimes the boost doesn't happen. Then Ninja gets about 1/3 or 1/4 of what he usually does.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Yardbomb posted:

Not really, the prospect of "gently caress death" pretty well appeals to anyone but crazies.

Getting there is the difficulty but if the option was "Die" or "Never Die" I'm gonna say people would pick the latter regardless of the majority of backgrounds.

With the world being as crazy at it is, and trending towards getting more awful, I would honestly prefer dying, as opposed to living forever to see how much worse things get.

Hell, even if things improved, after two or three hundred years, you'd probably get tired and want to stop.

I know that's a dark thing to say, but it's one of those kinds of things where I could see things going horribly wrong if people found a way to be immortal.

Groovelord Neato posted:

fortnite is not a hard game and that guy in 4th on that list is the best at the hard game it's a ripoff of. game difficulty is immaterial, league of legends players get more viewers than dota 2. it's whatever's more popular in general.

streams don't just "blow up". they grow over time. even drdisrespect who has a gimmick and is near the top now took a couple months before he was one of the top dogs.

Fortnite was popular enough to be brought up on the Today Show. I think it was in part that Ninja (who I had never heard of, and haven't really heard much about since) was playing the game with Drake.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 25, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

With the world being as crazy at it is, and trending towards getting more awful, I would honestly prefer dying, as opposed to living forever to see how much worse things get.

See that's stupid though, the world's not, the lovely people are more visible but they're steadily dying and being overwhelmed. The neo-nazis and all that garbage are dangerous, but they're louder because they're getting a parting peep out from their regular sadboy death spiral, the frogmen and their like are even easier, they crumple at the very implication of real resistance. Smoothbrains like the administration are some of the most hated we've ever had, they were put in place primarily by a broken system exploited by conmen. Injustices are shoved back against harder today than they were before, terrible people get told to gently caress off louder, progress regardless of constant speed is winning out. Get that dumb defeatist crap out mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if i could live forever i would. life seems kinda pointless when you just end up in oblivion.

Max Wilco posted:

Fortnite was popular enough to be brought up on the Today Show. I think it was in part that Ninja (who I had never heard of, and haven't really heard much about since) was playing the game with Drake.

yeah i had people at work ask me about fortnite months back and it was weird because this was at the time battlegrounds (which i actually play sometimes) was still more popular. was well before the drake stuff.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Drake had like, a lot to do with it. From my understanding of the whole thing it happened pretty organically.

-Drake is a gamer in his downtime, and is known to be an avid Fortnite player and PUBG watcher as well (I guess Twitch in general)

-Ninja was/is in the main a pro gamer and Drake watched him in tournaments and the like which is how they ended up making contact. Once this is known Ninja starts blowing the gently caress up everywhere

-Eventually they end up paired together in Duos while Ninja is streaming and THE TING GOES SKRRRRRR

While it's probably silly to say that "This is the moment when gaming became cool!" (which is kinda taken at face value in the H3 podcast, lol) - it's probably a watershed moment for pro gaming, and Fortnite - which is a game that's pretty easy to watch unlike some, along with being free and all - is as good a jump off for that as any. Pro gaming as a sport has been looking for something like this for so long, and Ninja might be it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ninja didn't have drake on until his sub count had already rocketed well past anyone else's. it's legit a weird anomaly.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Hell, even if things improved, after two or three hundred years, you'd probably get tired and want to stop.

I know that's a dark thing to say, but it's one of those kinds of things where I could see things going horribly wrong if people found a way to be immortal.

Although it really doesn't feel like it sometimes, on the whole things are getting better. Not that there's no injustice and horror that needs to be stopped, or that it's a straight upward curve, but the overall trend is going forward. Although of course that improvement needs to be pushed by people, it doesn't happen automatically.

Although death frightens me (not so much violent or sudden death, but illness really scares me) the thing that makes me anxious about immortality was some article I read that put a dark spin on the science of it. The crux of it was that there's only so much memory one could have and that the brain isn't designed to last thousands of years, so at some point in the future you would exist but wouldn't remember where you originally came from, who your parents were, your first kiss, it would all be too long ago. Or, a potential other side effect would be that time would seem to speed up, just like a year feels a lot longer when your a child than an adult. Imagine how much a year would feel when you're 3657 years old.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Meanwhile, Lindsay is salty on twitter about an AV Club video essay saying video essays are bad:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/988920600058998784

(Definitely worth a clickthrough to read her whole thread.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Yardbomb posted:

See that's stupid though, the world's not, the lovely people are more visible but they're steadily dying and being overwhelmed. The neo-nazis and all that garbage are dangerous, but they're louder because they're getting a parting peep out from their regular sadboy death spiral, the frogmen and their like are even easier, they crumple at the very implication of real resistance. Smoothbrains like the administration are some of the most hated we've ever had, they were put in place primarily by a broken system exploited by conmen. Injustices are shoved back against harder today than they were before, terrible people get told to gently caress off louder, progress regardless of constant speed is winning out. Get that dumb defeatist crap out mind.

Lol this is hilariously naive.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My stupid anxious brain keeps me up at night about my fear of death, but even I think immortality is a bad idea.

If every single person were immortal what would we do about food? Would we stop having children (unlikely) or breed until every hospitable planet is crowded? We can’t stop the heat death of the universe, probably, so what happens when there’s no more energy to move? Is that basically death, since there wouldn’t be energy to run body functions?

Forever is a long rear end time and I don’t want to experience it either.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

d-do they not get what an essay is??

hopeandjoy posted:

i do. it's gonna suck dying and not know what's gonna happen afterwards.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Do you contribute anything other than lovely one line fishing for reactions posts?

You're no better than he who shall not be named.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

“Essay” literally means “attempt” (“I shall essay to explain in the following pages how it should come to be that some are tall and some are small.”). Of course all essays are analytic arguments in the service of a thesis. Articles in Velvet Light Trap or whatever don’t end with “but that’s just my opinion.” AV Club slipping like mad here. I guess maybe all the youtube videos that are just numbered lists of things wrecked the author’s brain.

Wasn’t the first thing to call itself a video essay that Orson Welles thing about frauds and hoaxes? See, whatever the failing AV Club thinks, anyone with a patreon that makes money is doing better than 70s Orson Welles. Just say that into the mirror when you start your day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah, blow me shitter. This is like the morons that play "B-BUH CRIME IS SO NIGHTMARISH NOW, THE WORLD SCARRRY" when violent crime rates have been dropping for a while now.

It's almost like the world at large and the declining bad things are just more visible now!

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 25, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I removed the AV Club from Bookmarks when they redesigned the page-layout into the worst poo poo ever.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I think there's a lot of truth to the problem of the video essay as we know it, but it's not what that video narrows in on. I think Hbomb said it best and perfectly in the last version of this thread:

Hbomb posted:

This is a problem with the 'pseudo-objective' approach in much modern media analysis. It takes what are ultimately subjective complaints (I didn't personally like this scene for reasons that are complex and relate to my personal relationship with the books and previous film adaptations, a relationship that's ultimately very common to internet nerds who watch films) and attempts to justify them in the form of overly simplistic truth-isms that actually only deflect from the core reasons why people didn't like the film.

"Usually you want to do X. These scenes didn't do X. This is bad writing."

Like oh wow, you've found the formula, professor, it's a real shame Peter Jackson and the hundreds of people who worked on it didn't think to ask you for the One Weird Trick To Make Film Good. Oh, wait, you actually just wrote a bunk rule that renders hundreds of critically acclaimed films bad and fundamentally undermines the loving concept of art. Almost 110 minutes of 2001 a space odyssey, of the best films ever, are bad now.

If only there was an alternative approach, where you think more about why people think things, instead of less.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Uh, I think Jenny is my favorite, and I decided this after watching a bunch of her videos today because of the recommendations here.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Corek posted:

It's once (almost) every day.

I have been tracking this for a little while now and sometimes the boost doesn't happen. Then Ninja gets about 1/3 or 1/4 of what he usually does.

Consider my interest piqued. If it's consistently around the same time, that definitely suggests something is up. Unless of course he happens to be streaming at those times, which would explain the uptick. But then I'd imagine there'd be a lot more volume there, since there's no way he only streams for an hour.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Karloff posted:

Although it really doesn't feel like it sometimes, on the whole things are getting better. Not that there's no injustice and horror that needs to be stopped, or that it's a straight upward curve, but the overall trend is going forward. Although of course that improvement needs to be pushed by people, it doesn't happen automatically.

Although death frightens me (not so much violent or sudden death, but illness really scares me) the thing that makes me anxious about immortality was some article I read that put a dark spin on the science of it. The crux of it was that there's only so much memory one could have and that the brain isn't designed to last thousands of years, so at some point in the future you would exist but wouldn't remember where you originally came from, who your parents were, your first kiss, it would all be too long ago. Or, a potential other side effect would be that time would seem to speed up, just like a year feels a lot longer when your a child than an adult. Imagine how much a year would feel when you're 3657 years old.

hopeandjoy posted:

My stupid anxious brain keeps me up at night about my fear of death, but even I think immortality is a bad idea.

If every single person were immortal what would we do about food? Would we stop having children (unlikely) or breed until every hospitable planet is crowded? We can’t stop the heat death of the universe, probably, so what happens when there’s no more energy to move? Is that basically death, since there wouldn’t be energy to run body functions?

Those are things that worry me more about it.

Like, say we find a way to prevent death, but simultaneously, we're not able to find a cure for something like depression, or arthritis. Even if there was some possibility of it in the far future, would you want to wait for a cure while your condition got worse?

Not to mention that even if you did find a way of immortality, I imagine it would only be for people. Outside of pets or sheltered animals, it might not be feasible to do for wildlife. You wouldn't be able to keep plant life alive forever. They'd still keep going through the same cycles, and I wonder what kind of effect that would have.

EDIT: In relation to Ninja, I just saw this:
https://twitter.com/G0ffThew/status/988871412768100352

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Keemstar has been mentioned in the thread. Post obligatory guide to Keemstar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o3TfHjj_e4

Keemstar's brief voice-acting role as the President of the United States:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNnAuRBFgGg

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 25, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Who'd have thought Keemstar, notorious for using other people's much more interesting poo poo to ride their coattails, would end up using other people's much more organic branding to ride someone else's (Ninja's) coattails?

There's something so blatantly, base-level tacky about keeping a subscriber counter on his desk during his videos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah, :same: I'm extremely scared of death because I don't know if there's anything after it (personally I'd love being a ghost), but eternity is equally scary.

The Gunnm manga had an idealist release the recipe for immortality to everyone (stealing it from the rich) and then it turned the solar system into a worst world where children are hunted down to stop population growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be absolute for desth and accept it in due time. I fear dying young or in an accident but otherwise I'm not worried about it.