Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm going to be the first person with a hangnail to climb Everest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
When do the climbs start this year?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Accurate title!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ante posted:

Just to be clear, he spent $50-80k climbing Everest so that he could raise 10,000 (about $15,000) for cancer

So basically any given fundraiser in this country where instead of quietly donating $50 cash you have to conspicuously buy $50 worth of branded garbage you don't need so only $10 actually benefits the charity?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
🌱
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4E-rw3AP_o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXGbB7nt2M

Partway up a 350-foot tree, botanist Marie Antoine passes a slender core sample of its wood — 750 years of redwood biography — to canopy ecologist Giacomo Renzullo.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 17, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I kind of want to climb a giant tree like that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
HD remake of Below The Root looking good

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

axeil posted:

When do the climbs start this year?

People are arriving and setting up base camp at the moment. The summit attempts are usually in May so will be another few weeks before the first bids happen.

It's been linked before but it's always good to check out Alan Arnette's blog. If you're interested in following Everest progress it's a good place to start. Here's the latest post.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/04/16/everest-2018-base-camp-progress-and-pujas/

quote:

The base camps are coming together on both sides as the teams continue to arrive. Climbers are doing some skills review while the Sherpas build the high camps. A few teams have already entered the Khumbu Icefall. It looks like clients will begin to climb to Camp 1 in a couple of days. So far, so good.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Hoping for good weather and success on the mountain this year for the season. Last several years have been rather rough, I’d like to see a happy season for once.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
More blood for the blood God

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
For anyone who followed everestnofilter on snapchat, they’re back at it and currently at base camp. Think it’s just Adrian this year though.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Yeah I just saw that pop up - that’s three years in a row for Adrian. Looks like a pretty big snow storm happened today.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

There was a death this weekend, and some injuries among sherpas doing prep work.

Simone La Terra, an Italian climber, was blown off the mountain (inside his tent) and fell almost a kilometer. Looks like his tent was either poorly situated or poorly anchored. Simone was reasonably experienced, having summited Shishapangma, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum ll, Cho Oyu and Manaslu

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/04/30/everest-2018-a-summit-and-a-death/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JerikTelorian posted:

There was a death this weekend, and some injuries among sherpas doing prep work.

Simone La Terra, an Italian climber, was blown off the mountain (inside his tent) and fell almost a kilometer. Looks like his tent was either poorly situated or poorly anchored. Simone was reasonably experienced, having summited Shishapangma, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum ll, Cho Oyu and Manaslu

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/04/30/everest-2018-a-summit-and-a-death/

That's a hell of a way to go

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

JerikTelorian posted:

[url]http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/04/30/everest-2018-a-summit-and-a-death/url]
I wonder if they just rolled his remains up in his tent or if they rebagged him.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I’m picturing a garbage bag full of raspberry jam. But frozen.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
14 deaths in less than a day In the loving italian alps due to a series of avalanches and sudden whiteouts.
Mountains are hard.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't remember if it's been discussed in here, but Meru is on Netflix now and it's super good.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't remember if it's been discussed in here, but Meru is on Netflix now and it's super good.

It definitely has been before because I watched it a couple years ago on Prime because of the Everest threads, nice that it's on Netflix now... may be time for a re-watch. It's super good.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Nice, thanks for the reminder.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
Everestnofilter guys leaving for the summit. Anything interesting from other sources?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

We had some near deaths in the mountains here recently. Some dudes decided to go snowshoeing unroped on the Athabasca glacier using 4 year old GPS data they downloaded from a blog. One of them fell 30 meters into a crevasse and somehow managed to live. He had crampons and managed to climb out, but then fell into a second one.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgary-man-survives-steep-fall-into-glacier-crevasse-1.3889240

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Has there been any more info on the Hillary Schrodinger step?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/one-fingered-japanese-climber-found-dead-on-everest-15085001

Article posted:

Kathmandu, Nepal - A celebrated Japanese climber who lost all but one finger to frostbite on Everest has died on his eighth attempt to reach the summit, officials said Monday.

Nobukazu Kuriki had fallen ill and was descending when his team lost contact with him. The 36-year-old is the third climber this month to perish on the world's highest peak.

"Kuriki stopped responding to radio communication and we couldn't see his headlamp when we looked up from the bottom in the dark," his team posted on Facebook.

"(The) team near Camp 2 climbed up his route to search for him and discovered Kuriki who passed away due to low body temperature."

Late Sunday Kuriki had reached 7 400 metres, pushing beyond three of the four camps that mark the route to the 8 848 metre (29 029 foot) summit.

"Now I feel the pain and difficulty of this mountain. I appreciate it and I am climbing," he wrote on Facebook.

The conquest of Everest always eluded the experienced mountaineer, who had achieved solo ascents of two other 8 000-metre peaks without the use of bottled oxygen.

On his fourth attempt to reach the top in 2012, Kuriki suffered severe frostbite and lost nine fingers.

He returned three years later in September 2015, months after an earthquake hit Nepal and triggered an avalanche that killed 18 people at Everest's base camp.

Bad weather forced him to call off that expedition. He tried again in 2016 and 2017 but inclement conditions again frustrated his quest.

Man Bahadur Gurung of Bochi-Bochi Treks, who organised Kuriki's expedition, said they were trying to arrange for his body to be flown back to Kathmandu.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Lol didn’t even make it to camp IV :sad:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Where do people get the money to fail at climbing Everest 8 times?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you obsessively devote your life to a goal you end up only working to fund achieving that goal.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
I just did Kalapathar and ebc same day, very nice

borkzilla
Apr 11, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

Where do people get the money to fail at climbing Everest 8 times?

If you're going to die on Everest you can spend all of your money failing to climb Everest.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
You guys aren’t asking the important questions here:

How do you wank it with one finger, much less climb a goddamned mountain?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

High Lord Elbow posted:

... much less climb a goddamned mountain?
Well, evidently you don't.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
"I lost the use of one hand entirely, and only have one finger on the other hand. SURELY I'll do better next time". What the gently caress? Is this mental illness?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Seems pretty obvious to me. He was trying to die on Everest, and finally succeeded.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete
Well, it looks like the Hillary Step is definitely no more.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:rip: if only that dumb canadian lady had waited a few years she could've made her dream of being carried half-dead up a mountain come true.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

:rip: if only that dumb canadian lady had waited a few years she could've made her dream of being carried half-dead up a mountain come true.

IIRC, she made it up the mountain.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
She technically made it all the way back down too.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if that will make it easier then. Looking forward to the Everest hipsters who brag about climbing the step. 'Oh you climbed it post step. Ok. Let me tell you how much harder i had it'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rondette posted:

I wonder if that will make it easier then. Looking forward to the Everest hipsters who brag about climbing the step. 'Oh you climbed it post step. Ok. Let me tell you how much harder i had it'

💯 this is already happening with some climbers lamenting some of the mountains charm is gone.

As charming as a traffic jam at 8800m altitude can be. I'll actually be more curious if climbing becomes less fatal.