Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

As a result, I feel like this is the episode that people will have trouble immediately recalling when thinking of what episodes were in season 10. Which, again, makes it seem worse than it is. Because it's not bad, but it's also not really all that memorable even if it is just as good as the previous episode.

Eaters of Light had some dips, but it was a good episode overall with a lot of great chemistry between characters, and the Missy ending (plus I loved the crow bits because I'm a sucker for that type of thing), and with the (as you mentioned) handling of sexuality with the Romans, I don't think this is going to end up a not-remembered-episode of S10 for a lot of people. Empress of Mars felt much more like "Oh yeah that episode of Who... when was that?" to me than Eaters. :shrug:

Also, I haven't read the thread in like a year and it was very enjoyable catching up on your reviews. :)

surc fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Forktoss posted:

EDIT: The new Target novelisations still have the old logo, don't they? Even the New Series ones, funnily enough.

No - they've put out the covers for The Mutants and The Dominators with the new logo, so they'll be switching over eventually.

Personally I'm more disappointed they've changed all the typefaces on the cover, whereas the text on the old covers (logo aside) were all evocative of the Target novelisations...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eaters of Light is a really good one-off episode with a tone that makes it feel a little different from the season that surrounds it, and I like it for that. It feels weirdly like a condensed episode of Classic Who, except with a Moffat era cold open that closes with a linking bookend (which makes sense, it was written by Rona Munro, and I'm sure Moffat touched it up a little). I don't think it's one of the most memorable episodes of Doctor Who, but it was an interesting experiment to bring in a Classic Who writer, go to a historical location not frequented often by the show, and have a sort of Gaimanesque fairy tale "And this is why the crows cry as they do" thing. It's the kind of genre-bending that Doctor Who could use.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

surc posted:

Eaters of Light had some dips, but it was a good episode overall with a lot of great chemistry between characters, and the Missy ending (plus I loved the crow bits because I'm a sucker for that type of thing), and with the (as you mentioned) handling of sexuality with the Romans, I don't think this is going to end up a not-remembered-episode of S10 for a lot of people. Empress of Mars felt much more like "Oh yeah that episode of Who... when was that?" to me than Eaters. :shrug:

Also, I haven't read the thread in like a year and it was very enjoyable catching up on your reviews. :)

I feel like Eaters avoids that 'I forget when that even aired' more than Empress will, but not necessarily because it's a better episode; it's just got details that place it squarely in season 10, particularly about Bill and Missy (and to a lesser extent, Nardole). Empress, there's nothing in it that reads as 'this is a story with Bill in it', I could imagine it in any season without alteration.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh, I agree it's not going to go down as some insanely remembered and highly-regarded episode, and I don't think it's necessarily better than Empress of Mars. I enjoyed them both as solid, but not amazing, episodes of Who.

I just felt like it had enough memorable little moments on its own, and enough tie-ins to the rest of the season, that when looking back on S10 this will be an episode that pops into people's heads easily. All subjective of course, as it is kind of a middle-of-the-road, middle-of-the-season stand-alone episode (hyphens wooh), but I do feel like it's an episode that does a good job continuing to flesh out Bill's character and growth, and has a few other things that will stick in the brain. Like Cleretic said, it just feels like it's definitely a part of S10 in a way I don't think Empress does.

surc fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 20, 2018

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Box of Bunnies posted:

Having the current logo on licenced releases has always been a thing :shrug:

It can be pretty trippy, too:

But really, the best tie-in logos are the "We Don't Give a poo poo" annuals:

Full :krad: collection here.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

They call me Theta
Ka Faraq Gatri
They call me Doc
But, Sarah-Jane
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remind me because I'm too lazy to google and I feel like posting and I'm thinking about Doctor Who -

When does the new series start airing?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CommonShore posted:

Remind me because I'm too lazy to google and I feel like posting and I'm thinking about Doctor Who -

When does the new series start airing?

October, apparently.

After The War posted:

It can be pretty trippy, too:

But really, the best tie-in logos are the "We Don't Give a poo poo" annuals:

Full :krad: collection here.

I love the art/stories in these where they're obviously written and drawn before that Doctor's stories have aired, so there's face reference, but no clue what they're wearing or what their character is like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The reference on Tom's teeth is spot on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do tv shows still get loads of books like that? When I visited my grandmother a while ago I went looking for something in her roofspace and found loads of 40-year old tv tie-in stuff, annuals, yearbooks and quiz books etc. that my dad and uncle had in the 70s (stuff like "The Giant Dad's Army Activity Book" and "The Catweazle Annual 1972").

(Also, it turns out either my grandmother or her late husband accumulated a massive collection of Hal Lindsey books and other authors on the same "God will destroy the world in 1999 when the Soviet Union invades Israel" theme. That wasn't a big surprise, though.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do tv shows still get loads of books like that? When I visited my grandmother a while ago I went looking for something in her roofspace and found loads of 40-year old tv tie-in stuff, annuals, yearbooks and quiz books etc. that my dad and uncle had in the 70s (stuff like "The Giant Dad's Army Activity Book" and "The Catweazle Annual 1972").

They still pump one out every year for Who, and a bunch of other properties do too. Look in WHSmiths just before Christmas and you’ll see them all. Also, you see a ton of books for Lego all the time across all their various properties (Ninjago, City, Lego Batman, etc), often with little sets or a minifig as extra incentive.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Trin Tragula posted:

They call me Theta
Ka Faraq Gatri
They call me Doc
But, Sarah-Jane
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name

Let it be known that I appreciate this Ting Tings reference.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trin Tragula posted:

They call me Theta
Ka Faraq Gatri
They call me Doc
But, Sarah-Jane
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name
That's not my name

Are you calling me Basil
Are you calling me John Smith

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'm doing a bit of spring cleaning and found a few Who books I might as well get rid of:

• Timewyrm: Genesys is absolute poo poo but I suppose it's historically significant for being the first NA novel as well as the first DW story where a historical figure gropes Ace (though probably not the last).
  • The Adventuress of Henrietta Street is pretty good, but I had two of these for some reason.
  • The Nth Doctor chronicles all the weird attempts at making a Doctor Who film, up to and including the TV Movie. This one's a lot of fun, actually.
  • Frontier Worlds is one of the better EDAs, plus it's more or less a standalone romp unconnected to any of the bigger arcs.
  • Cat's Cradle: Time's Crucible is boring as all hell
  • The Turing Test is good! It's got an amnesiac (of course) Eighth Doctor stumbling through WWII, alien plots, and Alan Turing's daydreams.
  • The Gallifrey Chronicles is pretty lore-heavy since it's the final EDA, but Lance Parkin makes it fun.
  • Mad Dogs and Englishmen is by noted mediocrity Paul Magrs, I haven't bothered reading it in the five years it's been sitting on my shelf and probably never will.

If these glowing reviews have enticed you and you would like some of these books, they're yours for just the postage fee! Send me an e-mail to forktoss (at) gmail . com telling me which books you'd like and where you'd like me to send them, and I'll figure out the shipping costs and get back to you. (Also maybe notify me in this thread so I'll know to check my mail.) Please note that I'll be shipping these from Finland and that might show in the postage fee, but I absolutely won't charge you anything for the books themselves.

I'll leave these up for grabs for a week or two, I think, but after that I'll drop them at the library or something. Still, if anyone is interested, hit me up!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Listening to Shadow of the Scourge and this exchange nearly made me drive off the highway laughing:

Seven: Isn’t it obvious :smug:
Entire Cast: NO

That and Ace’s “you’ve betrayed me you’ve betrayed me :jerkbag:” still have me occasionally giggling like an idiot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really wish I could have liked that story, unfortunately it captured the feel of the 7th Doctor's era just a bit too much - I could easily imagine this having been produced on television during the JNT era and I don't mean that as a compliment.

That said, I loving loved when the Doctor's arrogant, condescending attitude/plan completely and spectacularly blows up in his face which causes him to spend the rest of the story getting back on even keel and slowly, inch by inch regaining the upper hand. That was VERY good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So, when people recommend Kinda as a standout of the 5th Doctor's era...is that meant to be some kind of cruel joke?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

docbeard posted:

So, when people recommend Kinda as a standout of the 5th Doctor's era...is that meant to be some kind of cruel joke?

Kinda

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

docbeard posted:

You'll probably like Caves of Androzani more if you weren't a fan of Kinda. Personally I loved Kinda and didn't get all the fuss about Caves.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's a lot of stories where my opinion is "I like it a lot, but I'd totally understand if someone else couldn't get past the [THING]", and for some reason a lot of them are early-80s ones. Kinda's a great example with the Buddhist weirdness and Yet Another Crap Studio Jungle and that sodding rubber snake.

cargohills posted:

You'll probably like Caves of Androzani more if you weren't a fan of Kinda. Personally I loved Kinda and didn't get all the fuss about Caves.

You're not alive :argh:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

You're not alive :argh:

It's too late, Trin, you can't mend people.

:byodood: You CAN'T mend PEOPLE! :derp:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I absolutely love Caves, it's true.

I don't know, the big rubber snake didn't bother me (if that sort of thing bothered me I could hardly watch pre-revival Doctor Who or frankly a lot of post-revival Doctor Who) but the thing barely has a plot, none of the guest characters are the least bit compelling, and most of the main cast are either literally sidelined or have nothing much to do.

Exception: the dream sequence where the Mara is loving with Tegan to convince her to let it possess her is fantasticly creepy.

Anyway, my journey through the Fifth Doctor years continues. The Visitation is a solid alien-loving-around-in-a-historical-setting story, and Five continues to be pricklier than I remember him being (and I think I enjoy him that way). Not really anything that deserves to be on anyone's best-of list, but solid enough. Also, seeing the sonic screwdriver for the last time before the revival.

Also the first half of Black Orchid was delightful, even if it was clearly just an excuse for Peter Davison to play some cricket.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

I really wish I could have liked that story, unfortunately it captured the feel of the 7th Doctor's era just a bit too much - I could easily imagine this having been produced on television during the JNT era and I don't mean that as a compliment.

That said, I loving loved when the Doctor's arrogant, condescending attitude/plan completely and spectacularly blows up in his face which causes him to spend the rest of the story getting back on even keel and slowly, inch by inch regaining the upper hand. That was VERY good.

Shockingly I disagree, it’s really good! :)

It is pretty much Seven Gets :owned: though and it’s just the right mix of sarcastic levity and absolute horror for me. Companion dynamic is great too. Ace is such a lovable clod :allears:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

docbeard posted:

Also the first half of Black Orchid was delightful, even if it was clearly just an excuse for Peter Davison to play some cricket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-5LAe_x_0&t=127s

No camera trickery required.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Listened to some more of the 10th Doctor Chronicles today; Sylvia Noble is still an absolutely delight of a character and I'm glad they brought her back

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

docbeard posted:

Exception: the dream sequence where the Mara is loving with Tegan to convince her to let it possess her is fantasticly creepy.

I absolutely love that scene, as well as the rough equivalent of it in Enlightenment when the Eternal is peeking at her from the other side of the viewscreen :gonk:

I also find the seduction/devil/temptation undertones (or is it overtones?) in the scenes of the possessed Tegan sitting and laughing at the local quite an eye-opener given the time the story was made.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I just want you to know this went neither unnoticed nor unappreciated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There's some manner of 90 minute "director's cut" version of genesis of the Daleks being shown theatrically in June. Fathom already has tickets up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

There's some manner of 90 minute "director's cut" version of genesis of the Daleks being shown theatrically in June. Fathom already has tickets up.

How in the hell would that even work

I mean

What is that even going to cut? Are they going to touch up effects? Restore the picture? Or

I'm very confused

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

I mean

What is that even going to cut? Are they going to touch up effects? Restore the picture? Or

I'm very confused

It's billed as a "never before seen 90 minute Director's Cut" so that's, what, over an hour trimmed out somehow?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
just shameful if they don’t want to show Harry being attacked by a giant clam on the big screen

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, the Blu-ray of Season 12 is coming very soon, so I’d imagine it will look good.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just finished up Holy Terror, which was also my first exposure to Frobisher. Even knowing (sort of) what I was getting into, I definitely wasn’t ready for either his voice or the voice of the Big Bad.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fXo47CIUuFg

Well, first there was the live recording of the song done months ago, and people have been uploading the tracks when they leaked a while back, but now we've got "The Shepherd's Boy" within easy listening distance if need be

Huzzah

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Burkion posted:

I mean

I'm very confused

Finally, the 70s-80s PBS edits get their due! :smug:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PantsOptional posted:

Just finished up Holy Terror, which was also my first exposure to Frobisher. Even knowing (sort of) what I was getting into, I definitely wasn’t ready for either his voice or the voice of the Big Bad.

Frobisher sounds exactly how I expected him to tbh.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Awesome thread, Uses 13's logo in the first eight Doctors credit sequences:

https://twitter.com/HjRobins/status/990193025505742849

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Awesome thread, Uses 13's logo in the first eight Doctors credit sequences:

https://twitter.com/HjRobins/status/990193025505742849

I wasn't sure about it at first because it looks out of place for the first 3 but yeah Tom's era and afterward it totally works

On a related note:
https://twitter.com/RadioFreeSkaro/status/989920485000400896

apparently this "director's cut" is only 90 minutes, is this a new thing or has it been around for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I wasn't sure about it at first because it looks out of place for the first 3 but yeah Tom's era and afterward it totally works

On a related note:
https://twitter.com/RadioFreeSkaro/status/989920485000400896

apparently this "director's cut" is only 90 minutes, is this a new thing or has it been around for a while?

Apparently in either late 70s/early 80s there was a repeat of Genesis on TV that was edited to 90 minutes, it had never been seen since that broadcast, and wasn't on any of the home video releases (until the upcoming Blu-Ray set). My best guess is that's what this release is going to be.

• Locked thread