Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Thanks guys, I'm pretty excited. In looking at it I see those KENWOOD humps in the rear window there. I wonder if this has the factory subwoofer back there or if it's some sort of custom speaker setup.

Those are just aftermarket rear deck speakers, that type of speaker are/were pretty popular in Japan for some reason and I have no idea why but lots of cars have them, and usually the KENWOOD lights up at night too.

I'd be surprised if it was some sort of factory Kenwood setup, but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KakerMix posted:

I know what they sell for.

Holy poo poo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bolind posted:

I'm not in the US and not a truck expert, but I believe they have. It's called a Dodge RAM.

[img-galaxybrain]

Congrats on the AZ1, that thing looks fun as hell.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The only way you can make an AZ-1 cooler is to go the way of one of the other versions they were looking at doing and putting pop ups on it. From experience, nothing elicits as much of an excited reaction from kids as when your car lights move to flash them. It's adorable.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

It sold for $60????

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

beep-beep car is go posted:

It sold for $60????

It absolutely did. Kei trucks are always super cheap, but if you get a Honda Today (a kei-sized Civic) or something similar that's boring but not weird enough you can get them for so dang cheap. Honda Z looks to be the same thing, although it looks like they only came in auto which bums me out. Can't imagine what an automatic-backed 660cc engine would be like to live with.

Someone should buy this and have the ultimate El Camino Crown. 5 speed manual, round headlights, fender mirrors and legit two doors AC even. I'd think about taking the pagoda thing off and making a true pickup.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I still think it sucks that Japanese people get to ride to hell in that and all we get is a gutted station wagon.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
Haha it's literally a gutted station wagon as well. Just an 'exotic' one

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

It absolutely did. Kei trucks are always super cheap, but if you get a Honda Today (a kei-sized Civic) or something similar that's boring but not weird enough you can get them for so dang cheap. Honda Z looks to be the same thing, although it looks like they only came in auto which bums me out. Can't imagine what an automatic-backed 660cc engine would be like to live with.

Someone should buy this and have the ultimate El Camino Crown. 5 speed manual, round headlights, fender mirrors and legit two doors AC even. I'd think about taking the pagoda thing off and making a true pickup.

Why get a Crown hearse when you could have a Century?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I loving LOVE those hearses. They’re all business in the front, party in the back.

The last one had a blingier gold but this one has more character in the front end I think.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KakerMix posted:

Can't imagine what an automatic-backed 660cc engine would be like to live with.

Probably terrible in America, but fine in Japan :v:
I wish we could bring the S660 in, I'd do it after having driven one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

Probably terrible in America, but fine in Japan :v:
I wish we could bring the S660 in, I'd do it after having driven one.
Why not get a Beat?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lack of turbo, S660 has a pretty nice interior, and the top looks a lot better on the S660

The S660 feels like a smaller S2000 in almost every way, it is really, really nice for what it is. I expected Kei cars to feel cheap and filmsy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

I expected Kei cars to feel cheap and filmsy.

That's the best part, they don't ever feel cheap and flimsy. They feel purposeful and efficient.

Also the Beat has triple throttle bodies! That's kinda like a turbo right?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I also expected them to be dreadfully slow.... nope. Cruised fine at 100-140kph and felt great in the twisty sections between 40-80kph.
Maybe not the best in America where you have people that don't want to let you merge into 80mph traffic, but probably workable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, kei cars are fine for general use, though I suspect you'd be very hard to spot for the average US SUV driver even if they were looking (they aren't).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Better off than riding a motorcycle

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Slightly better off than riding a motorcycle

FTFY :v:

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Why not get a Beat?

"BlackMK4" posted:

I also expected them to be dreadfully slow.... nope. Cruised fine at 100-140kph and felt great in the twisty sections between 40-80kph.
Maybe not the best in America where you have people that don't want to let you merge into 80mph traffic, but probably workable.

Can confirm the Beat is an absolute sweetheart and one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. Cruises like a prophesied voyager, corners like an expert fox. The shifter and noise are drat near perfect, and it doesn't even feel that slow til maybe 55mph. It's even comfortable, to me (5'10" 150#). My mechanic did a once over/timing belt and waxed rhapsodic on it without returning my keys and asked me how to get one while he stared at it and did not make eye contact. Everyone who rides in it laughs uncontrollably. It makes girls use the tone they usually reserve for babies/puppies, and cock their heads an easy 30-35 degrees.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Electric Pigeon posted:

Can confirm the Beat is an absolute sweetheart and one of the most fun cars I've ever driven. Cruises like a prophesied voyager, corners like an expert fox. The shifter and noise are drat near perfect, and it doesn't even feel that slow til maybe 55mph. It's even comfortable, to me (5'10" 150#). My mechanic did a once over/timing belt and waxed rhapsodic on it without returning my keys and asked me how to get one while he stared at it and did not make eye contact. Everyone who rides in it laughs uncontrollably. It makes girls use the tone they usually reserve for babies/puppies, and cock their heads an easy 30-35 degrees.

I was going to ask what of the ABCs you had (I was going to guess Cappuccino) but yeah man I'm super stoked to be terrified of traffic in the AZ-1. I've daily drove my Acty for a couple years but at least that thing is tall.

Also I bought another car because why not.

1989 Mitsubishi Pajero turbo diesel with intercooler. Two door, neat thin red stripe all the way around the back, kinda not-my-style bush guard, blue as hell interior, AC and original stereo. $1865.71 :getin:

EDIT one owner, forgot about that bit.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 26, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's also cool!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Toyota vs Nissan is a big argument here in Aus, and you will NOT find people who stand with a leg in each camp.

this is mainly a 4wd thing isn’t it

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
yeah

I think it's mostly wank though, people who read too many 4wd magazines or something. I've owned mostly Toyota 4wds and like them, but I'd have a Saf

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Look what just went live at Ars: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/04/a-beginners-guide-to-the-world-of-weird-and-wonderful-japanese-import-cars/

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Oh boy byebye deals. As a Canadian I really should have been on this years ago. Whoops.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Oh boy byebye deals. As a Canadian I really should have been on this years ago. Whoops.

Like the Arse Technica crowd has an attention span. If they even made it to the end of the article they'll elevate prices for a few weeks and then you'll be back to normal.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Aren't like half of those pics from KakerMix?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

I wrote that article so yeah :v:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm thinking he may have written the article.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:downs:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yes, I enjoyed this thread a lot so PM’d KakerMix and asked if he’d be interested in writing it up as a feature for us. Just stealing the thread content would be extremely rude!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

He did a good job. I thought it was interesting and well written, even though I already knew most everything in it from this thread.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

He did a good job. I thought it was interesting and well written, even though I already knew most everything in it from this thread.

drgitlin was critical in getting the article in the shape that it's in so don't let him shirk off his touch :colbert:

Besides yeah I just took this thread's content and made it 'easier' for people to take. There is some dude in the comments all upset about people using 'weird' or 'odd' to describe cars we've never seen in the USA which is pretty laffo.

ANYWAY

I've already changed the oil (with an OEM Toyota filter available on US Amazon) and flushed the cooling system of the Prado. Yesterday I found out just how good of shape those side marker lights were

22 bucks a pop. Electrical is still good, just disintegrating rubberized plastic like I've never seen before.

Today I've started on the cleanup phase.

She's dirty goddamn.

Going to destroy multiple clay bars on the exterior, scrape off the destroyed decals there on the side and probably not replace them. Going to need new tires as well, three of them have slow leaks and one of the wheels looks like it's been dragged across concrete laying flat without a tire on it. They are all in generally poor shape. The spare wheel is good so I'll swap them around and put the gnarly one on the rear as the spare.

FILTHY

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I thought you were keeping this secret joy between us :cry: hehe

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

drgitlin was critical in getting the article in the shape that it's in so don't let him shirk off his touch :colbert:

Besides yeah I just took this thread's content and made it 'easier' for people to take. There is some dude in the comments all upset about people using 'weird' or 'odd' to describe cars we've never seen in the USA which is pretty laffo.

ANYWAY

I've already changed the oil (with an OEM Toyota filter available on US Amazon) and flushed the cooling system of the Prado. Yesterday I found out just how good of shape those side marker lights were

22 bucks a pop. Electrical is still good, just disintegrating rubberized plastic like I've never seen before.

Today I've started on the cleanup phase.

She's dirty goddamn.

Going to destroy multiple clay bars on the exterior, scrape off the destroyed decals there on the side and probably not replace them. Going to need new tires as well, three of them have slow leaks and one of the wheels looks like it's been dragged across concrete laying flat without a tire on it. They are all in generally poor shape. The spare wheel is good so I'll swap them around and put the gnarly one on the rear as the spare.

FILTHY

God that Prado turns me the gently caress on.

I miss good 2 door SUVs here. FJs are long gone, we never got the cool 2 door 70 series BJs here.

I saw a couple 2 door early 90s square body pathfinders and another 2nd gen 2door 4Runner :captainpop:. Makes me want to gut an old japanese car--even if all the work I have to do on my 3rd gen 4Runner drives me crazy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://jalopnik.com/cops-seize-130-000-nissan-skyline-gt-r-at-florida-car-1825542919/amp

Hey, surprise surprise, the local "totally legal bro" importer got busted doing shady poo poo. Though I will say, a good online social media presence and showing up at localcar shows makes selling cars alot easier it seems. :v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I have no idea what that guy’s problem is but he’s bonkers. “Weird” doesn’t have to be pejorative!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

https://jalopnik.com/cops-seize-130-000-nissan-skyline-gt-r-at-florida-car-1825542919/amp

Hey, surprise surprise, the local "totally legal bro" importer got busted doing shady poo poo. Though I will say, a good online social media presence and showing up at localcar shows makes selling cars alot easier it seems. :v:

I like the part where they took $26,500 for a car they never delivered and spent the money.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

lol I asked my contact in Japan about the Honda Z since I'd never heard of it before and I liked the response.

quote:

Just a regular kei car really

I still kinda want to get one because of how cute it is... :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

LeeMajors posted:

God that Prado turns me the gently caress on.

I miss good 2 door SUVs here. FJs are long gone, we never got the cool 2 door 70 series BJs here.

I saw a couple 2 door early 90s square body pathfinders and another 2nd gen 2door 4Runner :captainpop:. Makes me want to gut an old japanese car--even if all the work I have to do on my 3rd gen 4Runner drives me crazy.

Right until you experience the utter lack of horsepower that is the 2L-TE diesel. Toyota released the 1KZ-TE 3.0L TD engine in 1993, so Kaker SHOULD be able to get something with the ability to get out of its own way soon.

Whats the deal with importing halfcuts into the US? Same 25yr rule?

Cos if you've got a halfcut 3.0L turbo diesel surf, and a 3rd gen 4 runner, then you can drop the turbo diesel power train into the 4 runner. Thats how I built my 1992 hilux 2.8D into a 3.0TD