Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I don’t eat a lot of seafood but when I was visiting in Seattle my uncle brought me to his place on the sound, we went out at low tide in the morning and grabbed fresh oysters and ate them right then and there for lunch. They were so loving delicious that I can never order oysters anywhere because I know they can not be anything but a disappointment in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Toe Rag posted:

I've only had oysters once but it basically tasted how the ocean smells, which is not good in my book.

And you pay good money for it. No thanks. I had an oyster based dish at Benu and I could barely get it down. Don't think Benu serves bad oysters, it's just not for me.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 22, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Definitely not just you but for people over the age of 15 it's got to be uncommon not to like them. I love oysters and it's surprising to me how many people posting in a food subforum don't!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Oysters should be raw and cheap and served on ice with horseradish and that thin brown sauce with chives floating in it. If they smell like anything or taste like a dumpster, they're off. If you're ordering them cooked, your waiter will bring you what you deserve.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
and get off my lawn!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I live in Seattle and have had very fresh high quality oysters. They just don't make any fireworks go off in my brain. :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've had good quality oysters served in a variety of ways since my wife's family loves seafood and whilst they're ok I'd order anything on the menu before them.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Stangg posted:

Some simple indulgence, chilli con carne with home made mini tortillas

Thai green curry from scratch, making the paste in my small mortar and pestle was such a ball ache that it prompted me to order a new bigger one, curry came out great though

Very nice! If you can find the ingredients you should try the recipe I use when I make it from scratch. One of the ingredients is shrimp paste and it adds a nice savory flavor to it.

atothesquiz posted:

Here ya go! It makes enough for two servings of green curry soup.. about two table spoons worth.

My wife and I took a pretty awesome cooking class in Chiang Mai. It was supposed to be an already small class of 6 people and the instructor but 4 people had to cancel suddenly so it ended up being a private cooking class. We made 5 different meals and he supplied us with a cook book of his dishes at the end of it. It was an awesome experience and I highly recommend doing something similar.

The class helped me realize that whenever I used to make stir fry at home with my wok, I was using way too much oil. When we made our dishes with the instructor, all you needed was 1.5 to 2 table spoons of oil and things didn't come out dry and definitely didn't come out oily.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

atothesquiz posted:

Very nice! If you can find the ingredients you should try the recipe I use when I make it from scratch. One of the ingredients is shrimp paste and it adds a nice savory flavor to it.

Yeah I used an almost identical recipe with some minor substitutions due to no availability, kaffir limes (I can only get the leaves) and galangal (I just used ginger). I used a tad too much shrimp paste and ended up having to balance it out with palm sugar during the final cook, which ended up working really nicely.

Edit: read it again and noticed the inclusion of turmeric which is interesting, did it add a lot to the dish?

Stangg fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 22, 2018

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shepherd's pie:

Berry crumble, courtesy of my wife:

Next time I do a shepherd's pie, I think I'll do three pounds of lamb and cut back on the potato a little bit. It was absolutely delicious but could have been a little meatier.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The best oysters I ever had were roasted on a charcoal grill with some sort of amazing thai green curry kinda sauce and it blew my mind.

Big Buteo
Dec 27, 2017

what?
I had my first attempt at making sausage, British bangers-ish-style because I forgot to buy fennel seed. They won't win any beauty contests but they were surprisingly tasty. Will sausage again.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Looks good! Sausage making is a real art, lots of ways to screw it up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Got it right this time, Fish and Chips.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Where's the vinegar? :colbert:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Switzerland posted:

Where's the vinegar? :colbert:

ARRGGHHH....in the pantry. :(

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

sous vide strip steak with a shallot sauce and a simple salad and some lemon/garlic green beans

and a terrrrible picture

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 24, 2018

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Unf

What is this deliciousness: want to make

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Looks like tom kha?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Looks nice and spicy whatever it is :kimchi:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

McStephenson posted:

Unf

What is this deliciousness: want to make

basically this with red onion added at the end too. also works with shrimp, just cook them less than you would the chicken

kumba posted:

In a big pot on medium heat, add

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
2 Tbsp red curry paste
2 Tbsp oil, I like sesame

Cook for 5ish minutes (until the curry paste darkens a bit and it smells heavenly); then, add

8 oz diced chicken breast

Cook until just barely opaque, 5-6 minutes; then, add

6 oz coconut milk
32 oz chicken broth
16 oz water
2 Tbsp fish sauce

Bring to a boil, add salt/water depending on your desired saltiness; then, add

6-8 oz rice vermicelli noodles*

Stir it all up, ladle into bowls, garnish with scallions, cilantro, lime juice. Takes about 20 minutes to make and it's as good as it looks.

* If you're cooking for one or are otherwise planning on having leftovers, I do not suggest adding the noodles to the pot, and would instead highly encourage you to add a portion of noodles to your personal bowl and pour the soup over them. The thin noodles will NOT reheat well because they will turn to mush and you will be sad.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gatts I know you're ohio. Where are you getting the hot sauce

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Some more things I made this week, not all good.

Sole poached in white wine with Sauce Bercy, Steamed Mussels, Parsley Green beans and Mushrooms. I left the fish in the poaching dish while i made the sauce and unfortunately it overcooked it a little, the flavour of the sauce was fantastic though.

Pasta Aglio e Olio

and my great failure of the week, a Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Crème Anglaise. I'm pretty sure my problem was I didnt beat the egg whites enough (I'd never done it before and was going by a book, should have youtubed it first) as my mixture thinking back was too gloopy at the end. Lots more practice for this one I think, it did taste ok though.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Those all look great, especially the mussels and pasta.

The plating is also great, really appreciate the nice photography.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

gatts I know you're ohio. Where are you getting the hot sauce

I think either Earth Fare or Heinen's. You can order it on Amazon but probably more expensive. Heinen's is my go to grocery store in Ohio. In Texas it's Central Market. Tropical Ghost Pepper sauce, it's got heat but it has good flavor too. There are better, I actually recall 95% Pain fondly as something that had heat and flavor.

There are some specialty shops around that have good fancy stuff tho.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 25, 2018

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Buffalo honey pork chops, fried corn and rice.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Made some tasty but kind of sad-looking cajun-spiced drumsticks a couple days ago. Anyone got any tips on how to get them to brown better? They taste good, they're super juicy and all, but under the spice they're a little anemic-looking.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Got some giant lamb shanks from the markets so got the slow cooker out of the cupboard for the first time this year. Cooked in a red wine sauce with onions and potatoes with some crunchy French bread

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sex Hobbit posted:

Made some tasty but kind of sad-looking cajun-spiced drumsticks a couple days ago. Anyone got any tips on how to get them to brown better? They taste good, they're super juicy and all, but under the spice they're a little anemic-looking.

When they're close to being done (~5 minutes from target temp), put them under the broiler on high until they brown nicely.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

Sear them in a pan first. Preferably an oven safe pan so you can just toss the whole thing in after searing. Then you can make a pan sauce after roasting cuz all the drippings are in a convenient stove safe pan.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sex Hobbit posted:

Preheat the pan in the oven, then place your chicken skin side down for the cooking time. Make sure you’ve oiled your sheet pan decently, although like most things, the skin should release when it’s done.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Put them on a rack and do them at a higher temp for a shorter time. The broiler thing would also work, but really, a rack to get them out of swimming in fat and water.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

If you really want SUPER crispy chicken (like for wings), do the j. kenji lopez alt method: 50/50 mix of corn starch and salt, let them sit out in a fridge uncovered for a day, and then bake at a high temperature. Works great. I have not tried this for legs yet, but kind of want to.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Chili potatoes and Finnish national vegetable.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Looks more like a sandwich to me

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

If you really want SUPER crispy chicken (like for wings), do the j. kenji lopez alt method: 50/50 mix of corn starch and salt, let them sit out in a fridge uncovered for a day, and then bake at a high temperature. Works great. I have not tried this for legs yet, but kind of want to.

I have and it comes out really good, though I used baking powder per his wings recipe. Not sure if it makes a difference as they both work at getting as much moister out as possible. It works ok for thighs as well, but the non skin side isn't the prettiest.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Tonight I made pesto, and then some spaghetti, some La Ratte potatoes and green beans, I steamed some mussels for good luck because I needed to use them up so the dish is almost traditional Genoese cuisine but with some extra protein.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

snyprmag posted:

I have and it comes out really good, though I used baking powder per his wings recipe. Not sure if it makes a difference as they both work at getting as much moister out as possible. It works ok for thighs as well, but the non skin side isn't the prettiest.

Definitely meant to type baking powder.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Made scotch eggs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
getting the right consistency of yolk in a scotch egg is not easy, and that looks loving brilliant.