Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If it's on the 21th, I think we missed it. Did you mean 28th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Woops. Yes. Fix’d.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I just want to have a general idea of how many people are gonna show up, so if you think you might, it'd be appreciated if you throw your own name into this doc at a right spot. This is not binding or anything like that, I just wanna kind of know if I should reduce some planes or add others, since they have some what of a purpose each. That way I can somehwat estimate the amount of partakers.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10FaWRs5YFDR1xt__0273Pz3THN10gDoJEQHYzQpYAFA/edit?usp=sharing

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Vahakyla posted:

I just want to have a general idea of how many people are gonna show up, so if you think you might, it'd be appreciated if you throw your own name into this doc at a right spot. This is not binding or anything like that, I just wanna kind of know if I should reduce some planes or add others, since they have some what of a purpose each. That way I can somehwat estimate the amount of partakers.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10FaWRs5YFDR1xt__0273Pz3THN10gDoJEQHYzQpYAFA/edit?usp=sharing

I can't this week for sure, but would definitely love to going forward...

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Put Mig-21s in.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Wooper posted:

Put Mig-21s in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I am aggressively incompetent but will spend some time on Friday trying to become less so.

e: It's mainly that I never get to the point where I learn all the buttons I need to know.

e2: although looking at the latest version of the F15C manual that's up the checklist at the back is pretty good. Damned if I'll ever learn the A10 though.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 26, 2018

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Wooper posted:

Put Mig-21s in.

Get the Viggen, it's the same but so much better

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

concise posted:

Get the Viggen, it's the same but so much better

We have both and while the Viggen is faster and probably easier to fly it has a radar that's much less capable in A2A and significantly less A2A ordnance. It's definitely far better at ground and sea attack though.

The mig21 is just hella fun to fly.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I am aggressively incompetent but will spend some time on Friday trying to become less so.

e: It's mainly that I never get to the point where I learn all the buttons I need to know.

e2: although looking at the latest version of the F15C manual that's up the checklist at the back is pretty good. Damned if I'll ever learn the A10 though.

"aggressively incompetent" is defined as a dude who shows up two minutes before game time without their controls mapped, and no online account made, asking what are the main differences between a F-15C and a Ural truck. Don't worry dude, just fly with us, even if you don't know much.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

"aggressively incompetent" is defined as a dude who shows up two minutes before game time without their controls mapped, and no online account made, asking what are the main differences between a F-15C and a Ural truck. Don't worry dude, just fly with us, even if you don't know much.

No but really, what is the difference?

Asking for a friend...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

No but really, what is the difference?

Asking for a friend...

About $30 million.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

I mean I currently fit 2 of those definitions so I definitely have some warm up stuff to do.

e: but crucially I want to be better at this and you are playing at a time that is reasonable for us Old Worlders unlike the bad old days of IL2 campaigns so I'll make the effort.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 26, 2018

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

The main thing to know is how the IFF works, if you're flying a fighter. As long as you avoid AMRAAMing other players, you're golden.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’ll run a nerd camp tomorrow and I’ll be willing to help with controls, game and anything, basic concepts, engagement, weapons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cool, I'm in the Discord so feel free to hit me up when you are answering dumb questions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For the newbies: IMO the only controls you really NEED to bind in order to fly a FC3 plane like the F-15 or Su-25T are

- pitch, roll, throttle ("thrust") and rudder axes on your joystick (if you don't have a rudder axis, use Z and X to steer the plane when taxiing and just ignore it in the air)
- weapon release
- fire gun (american jets only, russians use the weapon release)
- TDC up/down/left/right (this is the thing you use to select a target, use your hat switch)
- target lock
- release countermeasures

Everything else can be done with the keyboard. It's nice to have more stuff on the HOTAS of course but I think those are the only ones that are really critical to have at your fingertips.

- Get in the cockpit
- If engines are stopped, press rctrl-home and ralt-home to start them both up, then wait 30 seconds for them to spool up
- If it's nighttime, press L to turn on your instrument lights, rctrl-L for nav lights, and ralt-L for landing lights
- Do NOT press rshift-L because that will turn off your electrical power (welcome to DCS)
- Press lctrl-C to close canopy (it will be really noisy in the air if you don't do this)
- Throttle up and start taxiing, using rudder (Z/X) to steer and wheel brakes (hold W) to stop
- Get on the runway and/or a big taxiway
- Hold brakes, put in max afterburner, release brakes
- Use rudder to stay in line, pull back when you think you're going fast enough
- Once you start to climb, press G to retract gear
- Throttle back to get out of afterburner so you don't run out of gas (either listen to the engine, look for the lights in the cockpit, or press F2 and verify that there isn't a huge flame coming out of your engine)
- Get generally pointed at your targets and press 2 to enter BVR combat mode
- Press I to turn on your radar
- Press D until your radar missiles are selected (AIM-7/AIM-120 or R-27/R-77)
- Look for little sets of three dots on the HUD, and move the TDC box until you have one selected, then press target lock
- Get close until it says SHOOT (US) or LA (Russia), then fire ze missile
- Hopefully that was a bad guy
- Infrared missiles are the same except you can turn off the radar and just point at the guy until you hear a loud noise
- For the gun, lock a target then press C and fly until the moving crosshair is over the bad guy, then shoot. You have to be a lot closer than you think

At that point you know basically how to fly and shoot so any other questions can be asked to other people in the stream without cluttering it up too badly.

Landing is left as an exercise for the interested student

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 26, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also just FYI there's another 11-gig update since last week's mission so if you have slow internet you might wanna get on that sooner rather than later.

If you have Flaming Cliffs 3, this update apparently includes a new flyable J-11 (Chinese license-built Su-27) :toot:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

Also just FYI there's another 11-gig update since last week's mission so if you have slow internet you might wanna get on that sooner rather than later.

If you have Flaming Cliffs 3, this update apparently includes a new flyable J-11 (Chinese license-built Su-27) :toot:

It's open beta... are we running stable or open beta?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The mission will be in stable because most of EHH gently caress IT WHO AM I LYING TO it's because my steam version is on stable.

Due to request, there'll be more Harriers.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 27, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren:

Reminder that tomorrow at 1400 EST, and at 2000 GMT+1, is the goon DCS game. Anyone who basically has their controls mapped should take part.

"But Vähäkylä, you glorious Finnish viking with great hair and wits to match, I don't know even the basics!"

Worry not, TODAY, on friday, I'll be on from at least 2100 GMT+1, or 1500 EST, onwards, in Air Goons Discord available to set up basic controls, flight basics, and any and all issues you might have with DCS. You can know nothing, and you can still show up and your hand will be held. If you need any assistance, show up!

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
what hair?

ive seen pictures

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'll be there but I might be a little late as I just realized that I am flying a real plane on Saturday morning already!

If everything stays on schedule I'll just make it but it'll be close

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Finns aren’t vikings, they’re perkele farmers

Slim Mat
Oct 3, 2015
I'm glad we are not using open beta. Hope it stays that way.

That's a p. good check list for flying a simple jet, Sagebrush. Don't forget you actually need to press Rshift+L to turn the power on to begin with.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Sagebrush, your guide is on OP now.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
So uh, why exactly aren't we using the open beta? It includes the memory management stuff that people were saying was needed so that the people playing on their laptop from 2004 could join when there is more than two kinds of plane.

I already updated so I guess I won't be joining.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

So uh, why exactly aren't we using the open beta? It includes the memory management stuff that people were saying was needed so that the people playing on their laptop from 2004 could join when there is more than two kinds of plane.

Because ultimately if we'd use the beta, we'd have half the people here asking the opposite. I just got to roll with some choices for no particular reason for consistency at some point.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
:frogsiren:

NEWBIE FLIGHT SCHOOL, LED BY THE GREAT ME! In a bit over one hour, I'll help you with all your DCS needs and inquiries, understanging bullseye, setting controls, whatever. Show up at airgoons in an hour: https://discord.gg/eQJcbuF

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

my kinda ape posted:

I wasted like 45 minutes of some kindly goon’s time earlier, because it very literally didn’t occur to me that someone would be running anything other than the latest Beta build.

gently caress ED, is what I’m saying. They’re successful despite themselves.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

That reminds me Vaha, I think the times you posted are an hour later than you intended. 2100 GMT+1, or 1500 EST, are indeed the same time, but two hours from now. The current "eastern time zone" is EDT not EST, which is probably what messed you up. IIRC you started last week's event an hour earlier than the stated time as well.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

In short, gently caress time zones

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Oh poo poo yeah my bad. Anyway, I'll be on at the hour now in 40 minutes, I got nothing else to do.

EDIT Also no, I'm GMT+1 right now, and it is 2021. I just forgot that EST switched to EDT now.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 27, 2018

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Vahakyla posted:

EDIT Also no, I'm GMT+1 right now, and it is 2021.

:confuoot:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
poo poo you are right about that, too. Italy switched to daylight savings. I forgot. I blame drugs.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 27, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So wait, if I have 2.5.1.whatever I can't join a server running 2.5.0? I thought the clients were backwards-compatible.

I don't know how to downgrade so if I can't join with .1 I guess I won't be there.

I flew a bunch in the new version last night, and anecdotally it seems to load quite a bit faster than before while not being unstable any less stable than usual for an ED product. It's a worthwhile upgrade.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Just use UTC and let everyone else figure it out… including you. :D

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I am in Discord now, I'm gonna put up a server with most planes available, and just let it roll and goof off until someone needs help. It'll be running the stable steam version.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sagebrush posted:

So wait, if I have 2.5.1.whatever I can't join a server running 2.5.0? I thought the clients were backwards-compatible.

Is it? IDK, I just assumed they had to be the same version :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Question: I bought the F-5E way back when. Is there any way to get it working with the steam version of DCS? I don't even havea module manager button I can click on my DCS UI.