Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

quote:

"That is why we must also ensure that children and adults are not confronted with games of chance when they are looking for fun in a video game."
I don't like your idea of fun. - Belgium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I too encourage game devs to continue making games that contains randomized progression that can be bypassed by simply throwing more money at the dev.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Leal posted:

I too encourage game devs to continue making games that contains randomized progression that may potentially if you're exceedingly lucky be bypassed by simply throwing more money at the dev.

Small correction. Carry on.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Children gambling is supposed to be a good thing now.

Lootboxes are and always have been bullshit and they can't go away soon enough.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kragger99 posted:

There it is. My tutorial. :glomp:

Note that there's a pilot skill called Bulwark that you can get really early (for now) that lets you get Guarded (50% damage reduction) if they don't move. This is incredibly strong since you normally have to give up your shooting or use a morale ability to get guarded. Those pilots throw a wrench into the normal always-get-max-evasion-and-forests gameplay. You can punch people to strip guarded though, but if you don't look at the move order beforehand it's very easy to waste that option.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
So far I also really like Battletech. It does need some optimizations and to speed up the turns so it is more like XCom, but otherwise I'm enjoying it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Children gambling is supposed to be a good thing now.

Lootboxes are and always have been bullshit and they can't go away soon enough.

Is MTG also illegal in Europe? The monetization seems basically identical to loot boxes that can be cashed out (just not digital). I would shed no tears if all "mystery _____" style schemes disappeared.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Scalding Coffee posted:

I don't like your idea of fun. - Belgium

This may be the worst take on lootboxes I've ever seen.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stickman posted:

Is MTG also illegal in Europe? The monetization seems basically identical to loot boxes that can be cashed out (just not digital). I would shed no tears if all "mystery _____" style schemes disappeared.

You can buy specific individual (C/E/T)CG cards aftermarket. (I don't know if any of those publishers sell individual cards directly.)

You don't always have that option for specific individual loots. Maybe not even usually.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Stickman posted:

It doesn't seem like trading card games have received the same negative attention as loot boxes, despite being basically the same thing.

dont be mean to me posted:

You can buy specific individual (C/E/T)CG cards aftermarket. (I don't know if any of those publishers sell individual cards directly.)

You don't always have that option for specific individual loots. Maybe not even usually.

Doesn't the thing from the Netherlands specifically say that items being tradable/sellable makes it gambling? You can also buy Dota 2, CSGO and PUBG items on the Steam market.

Peewi fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 25, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

if this leads to all card games becoming LCGs then i am down with that

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Peewi posted:

It doesn't seem like trading card games have received the same negative attention as loot boxes, despite being basically the same thing.

Trading Cards are not blocks to progression.
Loot boxes in these games are ltierally blocks to progression especially when compared to previous game (like FIFA) that didnt require loot boxes to enjoy it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

My understanding is that it's the loot boxes that do have aftermarkets that are in trouble, because you can cash out your winnings.

My understanding is that it's the loot boxes that do have aftermarkets that are in trouble, because you can cash out your winnings.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

Loot boxes in these games are ltierally blocks to progression especially when compared to previous game (like FIFA) that didnt require loot boxes to enjoy it.

Have you ever played a CCG? Progression (in the sense of competitiveness) literally hinges on the cards.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 25, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Progression argument is not applicable at all, and frankly stupid, because I would argue that cosmetic farting purple banana twitchhat for Tracer is not progression at all, nor is the poop dildo knife for cs:go or pubg or whatever.

Trading cards are absolutely the same thing in a lot of cases like CS:GO because of the aftermarket is where the real problem is. Lootboxes are not progression in almost every game that people are talking about.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 25, 2018

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

But then Overwatch for example does not even have progression.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

bamhand posted:

What makes loot boxes gambling? The fact that you buy them with real money? How is it different from card packs? Or will Hearthstone etc be included in the ruling soon? What if you can only obtain boxes from playing the game and not cash? Or what if you have some kind of purchasable currency that is usable for a bunch of different stuff (say double xp or to directly buy skins) but you can also use that currency to buy boxes?

Not saying loot boxes are good. Just curious from a legal perspective.

the gambling isn't the randomized rewards, it's the trade api that allows you to swap the items you get from boxes for actual money (or platform bux like steam account credit). This is basically everything that uses Steam's trade API, so definitely pubg and dota and cs:go and so on. if you put a set amount of money in a machine, and then you have a chance of getting an item you can sell for 100+ dollars from it, yeah that's gambling

it's less clear cut when players can't sell items for money, as in hearthstone and overwatch, but there are still some smart regulations that can make that system less exploitative too, like mandating that the odds of each tier of rarity for loot box rewards being clearly visible to players to give them an actual sense of return on investment.

e: yeah though ccgs should all be completely illegal, they just all grew up in the same lax regulatory atmosphere that these loot box games have, just a few decades earlier

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Stickman posted:

That's what makes this Belgium ruling significant. It includes games, like Overwatch, where there isn't an aftermarket.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Avalerion posted:

But then Overwatch for example does not even have progression.

Yeah the Overwatch thing doesn't make sense to me.
Looks like Belgium isnt gonna get to play Overwatch.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's about what falls under the definition of gambling, nobody's analyzing progression.

Trading card games are the same, they're not addressed yet because nobody brought attention to them. When anti-lootbox laws spread around Europe then yeah, trading cards are probably next.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

That's what makes this Belgium ruling significant. It includes games, like Overwatch, where there isn't an aftermarket.

Does the Belgian ruling give a path for compliance beyond "get rid of the boxes"? Like the previous suggestion of clear odds + maybe a guaranteed amount of virtual cash in each box to make any winnable item purchasable within a fixed minimum number of box openings?

E: I think that's already pretty close to how Overwatch does it, except the "fixed minimum currency" part.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 25, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stickman posted:

MTG doesn't have Darth Vader so nobody gives a poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Palpek posted:

It's about what falls under the definition of gambling, nobody's analyzing progression.

Trading card games are the same, they're not addressed yet because nobody brought attention to them. When anti-lootbox laws spread around Europe then yeah, trading cards are probably next.

good, gently caress tcgs

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

Fair enough. I think the Belgium ruling a perfect example of government bureaucratic overreach but hey that's pretty much the EU in the nutshell.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Stickman posted:

Does the Belgian ruling give a path for compliance beyond "get rid of the boxes"? Like the previous suggestion of clear odds + maybe a guaranteed amount of virtual cash in each box to make any winnable item purchasable within a fixed minimum number of box openings?

E: I think that's already pretty close to how Overwatch does it, except the "fixed minimum currency" part.

Their statement basically says that the named companies have to remove the lootboxes for now or face stiff penalties but that they "wish to open a dialogue with developers" to "see who should take responsibility where" whatever that means.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fair enough. I think the Belgium ruling a perfect example of government bureaucratic overreach but hey that's pretty much the EU in the nutshell.
Why is it an overreach? There are gambling laws in place, if a publisher wants to sell a gambling game they absolutely can sell one, they just need to have it fallow gambling regulations with proper age restrictions, taxes and algorithm control. This isn't some new law being put in place but recognizing that a product was dodging existing laws.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Harry Potter: Gaiden

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Palpek posted:

Why is it an overreach? There are gambling laws in place, if a publisher wants to sell a gambling game they absolutely can sell one, they just need to have it fallow gambling regulations with proper age restrictions, taxes and algorithm control. This isn't some new law being put in place but recognizing that a product was dodging existing laws.

The Netherlands ruling makes sense since it specifically was against game rewards that could be "cashed out". The Belgium ruling does not since it includes games that have no ability to "cash out".
The overreach is defining what is and isn't gambling.
Unless of course in Belgium, slot machine games you can play on Facebook or your cell phone are illegal?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
MiniMetro got an update and now it has Vintage Maps.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Netherlands ruling makes sense since it specifically was against game rewards that could be "cashed out". The Belgium ruling does not since it includes games that have no ability to "cash out".
The overreach is defining what is and isn't gambling.
Unless of course in Belgium, slot machine games you can play on Facebook or your cell phone are illegal?
Belgian law defines gambling differently than the Netherlands. It's not the exact same ruling. Even the immediate terms given to the publishers are different. A requirement that would go EU-wide would also define it differently.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 25, 2018

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Every government so far having done nothing is an example of government underreach. Lootboxes are not ok, and never have been. Neither are TCGs.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

DatonKallandor posted:

Every government so far having done nothing is an example of government underreach. Lootboxes are not ok, and never have been. Neither are TCGs.

If they are not ok and never have been why are they ruling on this now, instead of at or before the game release?
TCG have been around for decades. They are suddenly bad now?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

If they are not ok and never have been why are they ruling on this now, instead of at or before the game release?

Darth Vader

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

They've always been bad, but

The Kins posted:

MTG doesn't have Darth Vader so nobody gives a poo poo.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"People have been drinking and driving for decades, but now it's suddenly bad?"

Someone, probably, around the time that law was being made.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Because nerd-games were never taken serious. Now the people that grew up playing them are starting to get positions in governments so they are taken seriously. Plus they're worth a shitton of money now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Truga posted:

people still say this about seat belts or plastic bags or whatever. it's amazing

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Truga posted:

Seatbelts! :argh: efb

Content:
The GMG22 still works for 22% pretty much any cart on Greenmangaming and stacks with their current sales - just picked up Biohazard 7 and Shadow Warrior 2 for less than their historical lows. If you've had your eye on new games or anything on sale, it's definitely worth a look.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 25, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my man here with the real smart questions no government busybody would ever think of, and indeed nobody would ever have asked at any point during the consultation process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Truga posted:

oh yeah comparing drunk driving to loot boxes isn't a false equivalency at all.