Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

i'm the complete misunderstanding of what "over/under" means

also touring a country isn't exactly the same as accepting massive amounts of money to take part in their global goodwill propaganda

Low Desert Punk fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I feel like the reason there wasn't this backlash about it before was because one, WWE kept their Saudi tours really low-key, and two, the women's division was not nearly as pushed back then.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol the WWE has been regularly doing shows in the USA for years and that place is maybe worse than Saudia Arabia.

If anyone has been complaining about that, I haven't heard it.

Did you actually mean USA or is that a typo for UAE?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Jack Anderson posted:

I feel like the reason there wasn't this backlash about it before was because one, WWE kept their Saudi tours really low-key, and two, the women's division was not nearly as pushed back then.

its both of these. when they used to do SA shows they would at most put up 1 or 2 pictures from the event on raw and its a part of a planned world tour. this was the saudis straight up buying a fresh wwe ppv which is not in the same scope as a tour show. We are also around the bloom phase of the womens revolution with women main eventing the raw right before the event.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

women main eventing the raw right before the event.

This seemed transparently like an attempt at making up for them not even being in the premises of the arena Friday, by letting them main event a whole 3 hour show days before

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

This seemed transparently like an attempt at making up for them not even being in the premises of the arena Friday, by letting them main event a whole 3 hour show days before

Thats exactly what I was thinking. them main eventing is kind of a in house "sorry here take this" kind of thing the last time they did it they built to it and gave it a reason. tonight was kinda. well here. we still want the womens revolution to be in your mind even though we are about to do something kinda hosed up

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Yeah, there's a difference between scheduling a couple of house shows on a world tour and being one of Mohammad bin Salman's propaganda arms.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. them main eventing is kind of a in house "sorry here take this" kind of thing the last time they did it they built to it and gave it a reason. tonight was kinda. well here. we still want the womens revolution to be in your mind even though we are about to do something kinda hosed up

To be fair they also probably wanted Ronda in the main event spot if they'd already decided Lesnar was the opener.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair they also probably wanted Ronda in the main event spot if they'd already decided Lesnar was the opener.

they usually put Rhonda at the top of a hour if she wasn't main eventing anyway. she usually appeared in hour 3 at the start or at the end so that's not out of place for her but the timing of it is reallllly bad with Friday being that super ppv.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol the WWE has been regularly doing shows in the USA for years and that place is maybe worse than Saudia Arabia.

If anyone has been complaining about that, I haven't heard it.

Oh no it's a serious D&D post copy and pasted in the wrestling forum

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I have to admit I find the resistance to WWE doing a Saudi show to be a bit prejudiced and hypocritical.

It's a global entertainment company. Why shouldn't they expand into new markets?

Like, how is this different than the NBA doing China outreach?

If it were something like the Olympics or World Cup where there is considerable graft and exploitation involved in getting the event, that would be a different issue.

But hey, KSA likes wrestling, why not give em some wrestling. Hell, WCW did a card in North Korea

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If China didn't allow black people to participate in sporting events & the NBA said "Well, other nations have different cultures & we have to respect that!", then that wouldn't be such a lousy argument you made.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have to admit I find the resistance to WWE doing a Saudi show to be a bit prejudiced and hypocritical.

It's a global entertainment company. Why shouldn't they expand into new markets?

If it were something like the Olympics or World Cup where there is considerable graft and exploitation involved in getting the event, that would be a different issue.

But hey, KSA likes wrestling, why not give em some wrestling. Hell, WCW did a card in North Korea

Because it's a propaganda event for a notorious human rights violator who is currently killing thousands of civilians in Yemen. This isn't just a house show tour in a problematic country, they are being given millions to promote the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. But hey, why shouldn't artists have played Sun City?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MassRafTer posted:

Because it's a propaganda event for a notorious human rights violator

Any event in about 70% of the world would be this though

dsriggs posted:

If China didn't allow black people to participate in sporting events & the NBA said "Well, other nations have different cultures & we have to respect that!", then that wouldn't be such a lousy argument you made.

China also imprisons dissidents and censors its media. Like, what is the ethical line when a country is ok to perform in vs. not ok to perform in.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

China also imprisons dissidents and censors its media. Like, what is the ethical line when a country is ok to perform in vs. not ok to perform in.

This feels like a really edgy version of "no ethical consumption under capitalism". It's not just that they're performing there. They're performing in KSA because they were given a ton of money to be part of a propoganda program to make KSA look progressive when they're still anything but. WWE is then trying to have their cake and eat it too by pretending that the women not performing is good and great for them because WWE doing business with them will someday open things up so that the women can perform. That's the same backwards logic companies used to do business with aparthid South Africa.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

They're performing in KSA because they were given a ton of money to be part of a propoganda program to make KSA look progressive

Yeah, that makes things different and I hadn't heard about it, can I read more about it? All I have heard was WWE is bad for doing a show in Saudi Arabia because its extremely conservative and oppresses women, which is true, but kind of weird bone to pick for a global entertainment company. Is Marvel just as bad for letting Black Panther be the first movie shown there in decades?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
there's a difference between "letting Black Panther being shown there" and "giving Black Panther millions of dollars as part of a long-term strategic partnership to promote Saudi Arabian reform" which is what everyone is trying to say

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Again, those countries aren't buying an explicit propaganda event. North Korea did and that was extremely bad of NJPW to do, but it was Inoki who is an insane person. But hey if you are cool with propaganda for war criminals, you are a bigger person than I.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

But hey if you are cool with propaganda for war criminals, you are a bigger person than I.

I'm not cool with it, but I also don't see what makes it worse than Manchester U friendlies in KSA, or the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, or the World Cup in Russia, or the Olympics in China, or the Rumble in the Jungle etc. etc.

Global entertainment companies are expanding across the globe and I am curious as to what the moral line is to where companies should be allowed to perform or not.

EDIT: Hell, WWE does shows in Brazil where they regularly mass execute their poor and it didn't get this kind of response.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 25, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, that makes things different and I hadn't heard about it, can I read more about it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Vision_2030

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That? Yeah, I work a lot with Saudis and know about this initiative, hell, some of the Saudis I work with are specifically a part of this initiative. It just seems weird to call it a propaganda campaign for a war criminal and not a pro-active attempt to diversify an economy in serious danger of collapse within a generation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That? Yeah, I work a lot with Saudis and know about this initiative, hell, some of the Saudis I work with are specifically a part of this initiative. It just seems weird to call it a propaganda campaign for a war criminal and not a pro-active attempt to diversify an economy in serious danger of collapse within a generation.

What would you call a project that is putting out government funded magazines, ads in major newspapers, paying American companies to put on events that promote the country other than a propaganda campaign? That's literally what propaganda is. Now, what would you call a government that is currently killing thousands of civilians in Yemen in what have been described as war crimes?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah guys, stop picking on the rich men trying to get richer. Aristocracy are people too. *takes paycheck*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

What would you call a project that is putting out government funded magazines, ads in major newspapers, paying American companies to put on events that promote the country other than a propaganda campaign? That's literally what propaganda is.

Thats not what the 2030 initiative is. Like, for example, what part of sending Saudi engineers overseas to study green fuel alternatives for major Saudi energy companies is propaganda? I feel like you are significantly minimizing the scope of the 2030 initiative.

MassRafTer posted:

Now, what would you call a government that is currently killing thousands of civilians in Yemen in what have been described as war crimes?

Replace Yemen with any other middle eastern country and you are describing the vast majority of countries where WWE currently performs.

Two Beans posted:

Yeah guys, stop picking on the rich men trying to get richer. Aristocracy are people too. *takes paycheck*

guys on scholarships are not the aristocracy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mel please disclose if you touched the Saudi Glowing Orb before posting here

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It literally is a propaganda campaign, though, helped along by conservative politicians and investors in Saudi Arabia’s allies.

All this bullshit about the butcher of Yemenis can be yours for $13!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mel please travel back in time and tell everyone that it's pointless for US artists and corporations to boycott South Africa because America also has segregation

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WWE performs in plenty of "bad" countries, like the US obviously. But everywhere else they're only selling themselves. This time they're also selling the country.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Mel please travel back in time and tell everyone that it's pointless for US artists and corporations to boycott South Africa because America also has segregation

I didn't realize WWE was breaking a boycott of KSA

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Did the Russian bots finally infiltrate forums.somethingawful.com?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it would explain a lot about Mel's posting

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Let's get back to lovely posts on other websites before Jerusalem tells us to.

https://twitter.com/LavelleHarriso8/status/987904291263434752

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 25, 2018

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Hes right

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/LavelleHarriso8/status/980721429372121088

https://twitter.com/LavelleHarriso8/status/980724291443544066

https://twitter.com/LavelleHarriso8/status/985937483484598273

https://twitter.com/LavelleHarriso8/status/980713218678149121

https://twitter.com/LavelleHarriso8/status/980715366014910464

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
drat, Lavelle, you cold, playing Bayley and Sasha against each other like that

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lavelle nWo faction doesn't sound terrible.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

coconono posted:

Lavelle nWo faction doesn't sound terrible.

I like that he jumped straight to the bloated roster stage of the nwo

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, that makes things different and I hadn't heard about it, can I read more about it? All I have heard was WWE is bad for doing a show in Saudi Arabia because its extremely conservative and oppresses women, which is true, but kind of weird bone to pick for a global entertainment company. Is Marvel just as bad for letting Black Panther be the first movie shown there in decades?

Marvel would be just as bad if Black Panther had a scene where Chadwick Boseman tells the audience that the slavery in KSA is actually really good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is the thread for posting stupid wrestling fan opinions from outside SomethingAwful, not generating them from inside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/crasspants/status/991348400330178560