Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Finally got around to beating the main quest, what's the best way to go from here? Do I dive directly into NG+ so I never have to play Tiger Tiger again, or should I be hoarding weapon chips, or what? Are there better weapon chips then whatever I smack from the enemies in the last dungeon?

Active Quests reset in NG+, so if youve started the ice bear blades hell grind and are any distance at all into it for the love of god finish it before you start NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

YggiDee posted:

Finally got around to beating the main quest, what's the best way to go from here? Do I dive directly into NG+ so I never have to play Tiger Tiger again, or should I be hoarding weapon chips, or what? Are there better weapon chips then whatever I smack from the enemies in the last dungeon?

If you have any Ether to spare, spend it on high-end Poppi parts. Technical Manuals don't carry over to NG+ so you'd have to wait until the rear end-end of the game to give Poppi the good stuff. If you intend to use her at all, that is.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Oh yeah, there's way better chips. Really it depends on what you want to do. You could finish raising dev level on everything, raise your merc guild up, level up and kill super bossess. Cloud Sea King Ken is both one of the best ways to farm legendary core crystals, and also drops loads of Moon Matter Chips, which are probably the best offensive chips in the game. There are also 10 Dilation chips gated behind Ophion that you can't get any other way. Those are pretty much the best TNK chips. Gold chips drop from Zeoth Serprond in Temperantia, those boost drop rate by 50% and are decent enough to use for a lot of end game content while you get other, better stuff.

Remember basically everything but sidequests cary over to NG+ and there are Blades exlusive to NG+. You can jump right in, but you can get yourself set up proper beforehand if you like.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 25, 2018

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ironically, Ursula was one of the first Rare Blades I grabbed but I never figured out how to start her sidequest so I shoved her to the back of the inventory sixty hours back.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I happened to run into her H2H after using her on Nia for a bit, but I ended up switching her out and not bothering. I don't think I'm crazy enough to do all the blade sidequests in NG+ but who knows.

My first was Boreas

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Once you figure out Driver Combos, farming gets kind of silly. I have 40 Gold Chips now.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
So KOS-MOS is like literally Mary Magdeline or something huh. I never played Xenosaga but I had a friend back when made a big deal out of that revelation and thought that it was kinda funny. Some quick googling tells me that yes, she did in fact canonically pal around with Jesus

edit: I bet KOS-MOS is in one of those gospels that they edited out

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I, uh, need to admit something. I've gotten to the world tree, but I still don't really know how poppiswap works. I know that one row of skill ram/whatever is the equivalent of Aux crystals for other blades, but don't exactly know how Skill ram, special enhancements and skill enhancements fit together with other things. Special slots I think correlate to blade arts level 1/2/3, but the rest I still don't get entirely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Cores change her element. Ram and skills are basically aux cores but the ones she can use depends on her current role.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ashsaber posted:

I, uh, need to admit something. I've gotten to the world tree, but I still don't really know how poppiswap works. I know that one row of skill ram/whatever is the equivalent of Aux crystals for other blades, but don't exactly know how Skill ram, special enhancements and skill enhancements fit together with other things. Special slots I think correlate to blade arts level 1/2/3, but the rest I still don't get entirely.

I just Googled for recommended Poppi builds and copied what they said. :shrug: I still don't know what bits do what but Poppi seems to be doing her job nicely now so mission accomplished.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man, the chapter 7 bosses did not gently caress around. The fight at the end with Malos and Jin where you just have to get one of them to 50% HP ended up being absolutely brutal because I just got ragdolled around. I ended up going full-on turtle mode--both Tora and Four with full tank setups, and Rex with a full heal setup. Just stay alive until I can get an orb up on one target, chain attack, end it. It worked, but cripes that was nasty.

Now I'm halfway through chapter 8 and reached a point where I feel like it's probably a good time to go do some side questing. Got the full party back, got the master driver power, time to go have some fun before diving into what I think is probably the end run of the main story.

I'm tempted to try running without a dedicated healer but I'm slightly worried I'll get owned. I also don't know if I necessarily want to keep Nia in Blade mode all the time, if only because it feels weird to be down a Driver, but that is a really good healing Blade.

I feel like as I put together builds for this part of the game and eventually the postgame, I'm probably going to think way too hard about elemental distribution. In general, if you're going to have multiple Blades of one element in a party, what element is the most useful? Water seems to be a component in a lot of combo chains, maybe? I also don't have any particularly good ice Blades yet, though I think Poppi's third form defaults to ice? I should probably go get that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 25, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Harrow posted:

I'm tempted to try running without a dedicated healer but I'm slightly worried I'll get owned. I also don't know if I necessarily want to keep Nia in Blade mode all the time, if only because it feels weird to be down a Driver, but that is a really good healing Blade.

RE: quoted bit - Eh, you're not really down a driver. She's still around for all necessary cutscenes. The only time you need to convert her back to a driver is when you need her blades for skill checks or some poo poo, or if you want to roll with her. You still have one driver on the bench when she's a blade anyways. Plus she takes like 2 seconds to convert if there's a fight or a thing that you need her in your active party on anyways.

As far as healing, like I said before, as long as you pay attention and you aren't hit with Shackle Blade, using Nia as your only healer works really well for pretty much everything. Just remember to pay attention and prioritize heals over everything else in your mind

For elements, it doesn't really matter that much. Unless you craft a party specifically to avoid it (a valid strategy tbh) you'll probably have lots of elemental overlap and a few elements that you don't have covered. It makes no difference which ones are over-represented or absent so long as you can do combos, with the exception of making sure to have coverage for whatever seals you care about. Seals aren't explained well in the game, but whatever the last 3-element combo you did, that seal will be active, and the enemies you're fighting won't be able to do that thing. Seals are tied to the final element in the combo.

For example, if you end a combo with fire, you'll seal self-destruct. Useful on enemies that do that. It's only the last combo you did though, you can't seal everything all at once or anything - only one active seal at a time. Certain enemies it's very good to do a seal on even at the expense of getting orbs, although that's not nearly always the case.

Anyways that chart lists all the combos. I used to keep it printed out near me when I played. Try to memorize a couple for your current party as it'll help you with planning your attacks. But still, and I've said this a million times, don't overthink it too much (unless min/maxing is how you have fun.) Just play the game to have fun and only worry if you're stuck on something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Anyways that chart lists all the combos. I used to keep it printed out near me when I played. Try to memorize a couple for your current party as it'll help you with planning your attacks. But still, and I've said this a million times, don't overthink it too much (unless min/maxing is how you have fun.) Just play the game to have fun and only worry if you're stuck on something.

That chart will be really helpful, thanks. I have some paths memorized but sometimes I take a wrong turn, so it'll be nice to have a little visual reference before I start a combo. I haven't worried as much about the seals particularly yet--so far I've mostly focused on getting up elemental orbs that I can break during a chain attack and I haven't been picky which ones. But I'm thinking it'll be helpful to start thinking about sealing now that bosses are more aggressive about using the things you can seal.

I do enjoy min/maxing, or at least experimentation. Now that Rex can use any non-Poppi Blade I feel like my options just opened up a whole lot, so I'm going to have fun throwing groups together and seeing what works.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Harrow posted:

I do enjoy min/maxing, or at least experimentation. Now that Rex can use any non-Poppi Blade I feel like my options just opened up a whole lot, so I'm going to have fun throwing groups together and seeing what works.

Then by all means go hog wild. Pretty much anything can be effective, so endless experimentation should keep you busy for approximately 20 years. Good luck trying to understand all the aux cores and items, though - I never did figure that out entirely.

You've still got a reasonable distance in the story, I'd say, especially if you abandon it frequently to do side quests and stuff as you level up.

quick edit: If you have Mythra's affinity tree maxed out, or at least close to it, I strongly recommend looking into a crit heal build. Those are fun and really bring out the Mythra blender. You'll soon have "Double Spinning Edge!" implanted into your consciousness at all times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Then by all means go hog wild. Pretty much anything can be effective, so endless experimentation should keep you busy for approximately 20 years. Good luck trying to understand all the aux cores and items, though - I never did figure that out entirely.

You've still got a reasonable distance in the story, I'd say, especially if you abandon it frequently to do side quests and stuff as you level up.

quick edit: If you have Mythra's affinity tree maxed out, or at least close to it, I strongly recommend looking into a crit heal build. Those are fun and really bring out the Mythra blender. You'll soon have "Double Spinning Edge!" implanted into your consciousness at all times.

I've got all I need for a crit Mythra build except the affinity chart maxed out but I'm close! Right now I think I'm up to 60% recharge on crit so it's not quite completely constant Double Spinning Edge but I'm still double spinning a lot of edges. (Every time Rex yells "Double Spinning Edge!" I wonder why they didn't just call it "Spinning Edge" instead.)

I think I have a pretty good grasp on, like, the basics of aux cores--accessories for Blades--but my god there are a lot of them and I have yet to actually sit down and sift through them and make sure every Blade I'm using has useful aux cores. That's the item that really makes me feel the lack of good inventory filtering options. I also have no idea if it matters exactly what items you use to refine an aux core or if you just need to use whatever works but that's what I've been doing so :shrug:

The only problem is that I'm getting dangerously close to desiring specific rare Blades, and that way lies madness :v: I have all but one of the quest Blades (still need to get Theory) and luckily they've been extremely useful. And a good selection of random rare Blades, too. But drat it I want KOS-MOS

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

THE loving MOON posted:

So KOS-MOS is like literally Mary Magdeline or something huh. I never played Xenosaga but I had a friend back when made a big deal out of that revelation and thought that it was kinda funny. Some quick googling tells me that yes, she did in fact canonically pal around with Jesus

edit: I bet KOS-MOS is in one of those gospels that they edited out

That's one of the least twisty things in the series, to be honest

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Xenosaga is some crazy poo poo. I'll throw some of the other weird poo poo in a spoiler tag so people who didn't play it yet can avoid being spoiled if they really, really want to for some reason:

One of your party members is a white-haired kid with no capital letters in his name (his name is "chaos") who is some sort of universal constant responsible for kickstarting Eternal Recurrence and who is probably responsible for Jesus's miracles (because this whole series is about mashing up Gnostic Christianity and an extremely literal misreading of Nietzsche). The monsters you're fighting, the Gnosis, are dead human souls that refused to move on, and the whole reason they're everywhere is because the protagonist got really sad when her mom died and her anguish was So Strong and So Pure that it summoned them, so congratulations Shion, you got sad and doomed us all.

The Mary Magdalene thing is even weirder than that. KOS-MOS is a robot who contains the soul of Mary Magdalene because Shion's boyfriend was secretly evil. T-ELOS, the dark KOS-MOS who is soon going to be a rare Blade, is (very literally) the reanimated corpse of Mary Magdalene with a bunch of cybernetic enhancements. She was supposed to kill KOS-MOS and absorb Mary Magdalene's soul so she could become whole and restart the universe with chaos or something, but actually KOS-MOS ended up winning and became a whole Mary Magdalene somehow?

Oh and one of the party members is a 30-year-old gunslinger who stopped aging when he was 12 and he has several pseudo-romantic interactions with a lab-grown humanoid who looks like she's 10 because she resembles a girl he liked once. That part's not really a spoiler but, like, it's still weird.

EDIT: Actually on-topic Xenoblade thing: I wish there was a setting to always skip awakenings so that I don't have to manually pick that every time. Better yet, add in a third option that's "always skip awakening except for rare blade." Sometimes the little awakening scenes are fun, there's just no reason to watch them for common blades.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 25, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
its funny, I never had to grind legendary cores right up until the only blade i needed left was adenine. :shepicide:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hooray, got the Light core for Poppi. Probably not going to use it, but I have it. Want a master Muscle, but if I can't get one before opening up QTpi's last slot I'll just use a V instead.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah Xenosaga is some crazy poo poo. I'll throw some of the other weird poo poo in a spoiler tag so people who didn't play it yet can avoid being spoiled if they really, really want to for some reason:

One of your party members is a white-haired kid with no capital letters in his name (his name is "chaos") who is some sort of universal constant responsible for kickstarting Eternal Recurrence and who is probably responsible for Jesus's miracles (because this whole series is about mashing up Gnostic Christianity and an extremely literal misreading of Nietzsche). The monsters you're fighting, the Gnosis, are dead human souls that refused to move on, and the whole reason they're everywhere is because the protagonist got really sad when her mom died and her anguish was So Strong and So Pure that it summoned them, so congratulations Shion, you got sad and doomed us all.

The Mary Magdalene thing is even weirder than that. KOS-MOS is a robot who contains the soul of Mary Magdalene because Shion's boyfriend was secretly evil. T-ELOS, the dark KOS-MOS who is soon going to be a rare Blade, is (very literally) the reanimated corpse of Mary Magdalene with a bunch of cybernetic enhancements. She was supposed to kill KOS-MOS and absorb Mary Magdalene's soul so she could become whole and restart the universe with chaos or something, but actually KOS-MOS ended up winning and became a whole Mary Magdalene somehow?

Oh and one of the party members is a 30-year-old gunslinger who stopped aging when he was 12 and he has several pseudo-romantic interactions with a lab-grown humanoid who looks like she's 10 because she resembles a girl he liked once. That part's not really a spoiler but, like, it's still weird.

EDIT: Actually on-topic Xenoblade thing: I wish there was a setting to always skip awakenings so that I don't have to manually pick that every time. Better yet, add in a third option that's "always skip awakening except for rare blade." Sometimes the little awakening scenes are fun, there's just no reason to watch them for common blades.

So... T-ELOS is trying to make the DaVinci code real or something, got it

I love these bizarre jrpg plots, wtc :psyduck:

edit: Adenine was my third to last rare blade, by the time I got her I didn't even bother using her to boost drop rates. Getting Perun second to last sucked though, she kinda owns.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

THE loving MOON posted:

edit: Adenine was my third to last rare blade, by the time I got her I didn't even bother using her to boost drop rates. Getting Perun second to last sucked though, she kinda owns.

The remaining blades I got left are Vale, Herald, and Akhos. I got KOS-MOS as my seven to last blade ignoring the ones you can get through quests or visiting a person.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Rirse posted:

The remaining blades I got left are Vale, Herald, and Akhos. I got KOS-MOS as my seven to last blade ignoring the ones you can get through quests or visiting a person.

Herald isn't a random one you know, you get her from a fixed location.

edit: Also I said last, but I meant last before going into NG+

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

The best part about the crazy Xenosaga plot is that it's gloriously unfinished.

So Xenosaga is split up into three episodes. Not only were there supposed to be more than three originally, but also the story that is split up across the three episodes that were actually released was supposed to all be in Episode I. Meanwhile the whole thing was supposed to be a sort of "in everything but name" prequel to Xenogears. As I recall, Square Enix technically owns Xenogears stuff, but Xenosaga was loaded with a bunch of "it's basically Xenogears" things that were clearly supposed to lead up to Xenogears.

As you might imagine, that never happened and now Xenosaga is this weird little series of games with extremely good soundtracks, extremely bad voice acting, and more cutscenes than you could ever want.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Sounds awful.

I'm glad Xenoblade is rad.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Xenosaga is cool, I like Ziggy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone know where to get Fast Blade Switch aux cores? I don't think I've ever seen one. Googling only gets me the super-high end ones that you get from superbosses, but I'd love to know where to get the rank III or IV ones.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I still like to find the accessory to break enemies easily as well. I heard it was some bird enemy, but the area where you fight them at tends to only have a single one spawn and they always end up moving away and all their loot falls into the abyss.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
When is the official soundtrack supposed to be available for purchase, hopefully digitally? I thought end of May but I couldn’t find any info.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Rirse posted:

I still like to find the accessory to break enemies easily as well. I heard it was some bird enemy, but the area where you fight them at tends to only have a single one spawn and they always end up moving away and all their loot falls into the abyss.

Kite that one to the big flat area, if you mean the one on the World tree . It's not far from a fast travel point and you can throw a rock at it and then run back until it's over a flat area away from the edge.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I found my first "you need to use full burst or you're gonna die" unique monster last night. That was fun.

Parasite Aplacus was his name, I think? In the Womb Hollow. Loads of HP, almost no threat at all until he hits enrage (the worst he does is affinity down), then boom, your HP disappears. Got me the first time because I started the chain attack too early and he survived with a sliver of HP, but the second time I got up 7 orbs and hit the chain attack the moment he enraged.

Any more of those "basically wipes you the moment they enrage" bosses I should look out for?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

According to reddit this is now the highest selling xeno-x game ever :toot:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

According to reddit this is now the highest selling xeno-x game ever :toot:

Well there are two huge reasons for that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Barudak posted:

Well there are two huge reasons for that.

Is the first reason that the others are bad games?

Because man am I not a fan of any of them outside of XBC1

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want there to be an XBC1 remaster for Switch that adds a UI scaling option because I really want to play it but hoo boy that HUD is unfortunate. Nothing like taking up like 50% of the screen with huge HUD elements and then having damage numbers so huge they take up the rest of it :v:

It's like the modern version of the original EverQuest UI only with big floating damage numbers

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Is the first reason that the others are bad games?

Because man am I not a fan of any of them outside of XBC1

Booooooooo

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
My guess is XBC1 had a very low production run and no one knew what it was back then. And XCX was on a console with a low install base. Also XBC2 came out on a very popular console with very few games during a release draught.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

internet celebrity posted:

Also XBC2 came out on a very popular console with very few games during a release draught.

I feel like for the first year Nintendo was pretty clearly staggering their first party releases so that they would get more individual focus instead of competing against each other (and I'd say it worked pretty well).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
XB1 was almost impossible to be a big hit. The game was like a gamestop exclusive for the longest time, and the cost of it was heavily reduced because all the localization was taken from EU's branch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

XB1 was almost impossible to be a big hit. The game was like a gamestop exclusive for the longest time, and the cost of it was heavily reduced because all the localization was taken from EU's branch.

Didn't Gamestop also go out of their way to gently caress with the launch by marking new copies as second-hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Didn't Gamestop also go out of their way to gently caress with the launch by marking new copies as second-hand?

Yes, they apparently kept new copies sitting in a warehouse for months and when it got to a point where XB1 was selling for $80 a pop, they opened the new games, marked them as used, and jacked the price up to $90 as used.