Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
ok I did this interview that I thought I did pretty good but it's been 2 weeks so now I sent an email asking for an update

poo poo, it was the one job that seemed legit good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I’m gonna say some stupid poo poo in an interview soon. hopefully my interviewers are dumber than me

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AWWNAW posted:

I’m gonna say some stupid poo poo in an interview soon. hopefully my interviewers are dumber than me

usually a manager is present which skews the odds heavily in your favor

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so my follow-up interview is with a member of the architecture team and a member of the management team. the technical i just made sure i had heard of SOLID, but i am not sure what to expect or how to prep for this one

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Help I don't know the difference between object and class

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

an object oriented object is an instance of a class

it can also be used to mean just about anything in memory but usually that’s what’s meant.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

At what point is it okay to reapply to a big name company like MS? I done an interview last year April but got passed over at the final round for another candidate. Only trouble is the office here doesn't have a lot of openings for my specialities, mostly AR stuff.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

At what point is it okay to reapply to a big name company like MS? I done an interview last year April but got passed over at the final round for another candidate. Only trouble is the office here doesn't have a lot of openings for my specialities, mostly AR stuff.

Dehumanize yourself and face to MS.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to MS.

I wish there were more big names that pay well here in Vancouver. We've got Amazon, MS, EA, and well that's mostly it I think. Everywhere else just seems to want front end JavaScript of some variety.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qhat posted:

Apply to anything that seems like a good fit. They'll give zero fucks about what some other team decided.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

literally like an hour after a rejection email/call

or even befor eone

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

I wish there were more big names that pay well here in Vancouver. We've got Amazon, MS, EA, and well that's mostly it I think. Everywhere else just seems to want front end JavaScript of some variety.

Bitch, I’m in goddamn Milwaukee. the closest thing we have to computer poo poo is like Johnson Controls or GE Medical.

And it’s all deep-SAP Country. Better JavaScript than ABAP. :shudder:

Count your goddamn blessings.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Schadenboner posted:

Bitch, I’m in goddamn Milwaukee. the closest thing we have to computer poo poo is like Johnson Controls or GE Medical.

I mean we've also got Northwestern Mutual and uhh... *squints at scribbles on palm* ...Zywave?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

qhat posted:

It's been a long time since I interviewed with them, but I'm pretty sure you can reapply right away. I remember I was turned down for the position I had interviewed for but they had wanted me to keep applying for other teams. In retrospect if I was to move out to the Seattle area, that was the time to do it :-/

I had an internal interview for a PO role today and I thought it went well. It was my first non-technical interview and seemed weird because of that. We'll see in a week or so. What's funny is I now get to interview candidates for my current team later this week.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

I mean we've also got Northwestern Mutual and uhh... *squints at scribbles on palm* ...Zywave?

Isn’t there somewhere that makes zip software too?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

ShadowHawk posted:

You should be automating your continuous build system to scream at them for you.

There should be a version of those code obfuscation competitions but you write unit tested code and the hidden secret is that the tests fail non-deterministically.

JS is disallowed because they haven't invented deterministic tests that interact with the DOM yet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Schadenboner posted:

Let's do a Milwaukee startup. I have an idea but I'm way too lazy to build a whole platform from the ground up. Tom Barrett is a classic dem so I'm sure we could grift a bunch of money from the city to headquarter there.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Schadenboner posted:

Isn’t there somewhere that makes zip software too?

For real there's a decent amount of small-to-medium financial firms around, idk why (it's probably waukesha county)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chicago and twin cities are within Bay Area commuting distances of Milwaukee

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Is there a tech scene in Chicago? It seems like a cool town but idk what the opportunities are like for a city of its size.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

maybe telus? i have no idea how well they pay or what office does what (seems like health is eastern canada and out here it’s ???) but they’re fairly big.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

argggh, i got tricked into saying a number first!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HoboMan posted:

argggh, i got tricked into saying a number first!

you'll get better at this with experience. was your number at least an informed one?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Saying a number first isn't always a bad thing. Alot of people say omg don't say it and while generally that's probably true for most people, saying a number can be used to anchor a conversation in the ball park you want to negotiate in. So if they were planning to offer 100 and you say 110, you're presenting a strong position, a sense of self worth and value and now your playing around 10 grand above what their initial cap was.

This can change for established large companies and start ups but there's def something to say about anchoring high if you know it's high or if you have a sense of what their offer maybe be bc it can afford you more money and room to negotiate.

If they come at with some budget bullshit and oh this cap, this tier whatever well than you get drop my favorite corporate phrase "Dimensions of Compensation"

OH you can't move on the number? Give me PTO, work from home days, buy me companion tickets, buy me a weekend in a hotel, I need a gadget / cell phone allowance etc.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Waroduce posted:

OH you can't move on the number? Give me PTO, work from home days, buy me companion tickets, buy me a weekend in a hotel, I need a gadget / cell phone allowance etc.

PTO is good

WFH may or may not be compatible with your psychology (it isn't compatible with mine, I can't be productive) so may or may not be worth something to you. That being said, it's definitely nice if you have kids.

weekend in a hotel... what?

gadget/cell phone allowance... what? stop adding more useless poo poo to landfills. cell phone plus plan is like maybe $100/mo tops, that's not an order of magnitude that has any business going near a comp negotiation

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
The job i currently do requires travel to client sites. I have negotiated to have the company pick up the tab on flying gf out and paying two extra nights (fri/sat) if I'm some place nice I want to stay. I do it roughly once a quarter.

This aspect may not be applicable to this thread since this a forum of computer touchers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

weekend in a hotel... what?

perks for people with higher percentage travel jobs. stay the weekend in a hotel, fly family out to you

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pfft i just tell the recruiter a number and refuse to negotiate. sometim'es i've cut off a recruiter who insists on pushing the number down and then gotten an e-mail requesting RTR at the number I stated

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
this only with third party recruiters, i'd never do that with an in-house contact

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

hobbesmaster posted:

perks for people with higher percentage travel jobs. stay the weekend in a hotel, fly family out to you

this would be an absolute ace perk for my job if i were allowed to do this once a year and now i'm seriously considering asking for it

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i think they took my 110 as an hourly rate so there is that

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

HoboMan posted:

i think they took my 110 as an hourly rate so there is that

haha, another interview thread success story.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

1 phone screen down, 4 more to go

overall i think this first one went ok and at least the tech i work with matches the tech they use so ???

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

getting flown out for an interview in a few weeks. good sign for them wanting me, hopefully i don’t see any red flags and they offer enough figgies.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Leck posted:

getting flown out for an interview in a few weeks. good sign for them wanting me, hopefully i don’t see any red flags and they offer enough figgies.
once your on site, be sure to follow toris patented three-step plan thats guaranteed to land you that job

1. SUCK
2. THEM
3. OFF

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arcsech posted:

update: it was a total fuckin disaster

e: at least it was through karat who gives you a redo so i can do a that and bomb out all over again

e2: hopefully i can do better on a day where i have gotten more than 5 hours of sleep, and also hopefully learn to not overthink things hella bad

update update: did the redo, did a million times better

turns out getting enough sleep and having some practice in the online environment makes a pretty big difference. pro tip: if you have an interview through karat, they use https://coderpad.io/ - do some hackerrank problems in their demo environment ahead of time

i made the mistake of practicing in intellij and it hosed me up the first time, i didnt realize how much I relied on intellij

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't mind saying a number first, I've got a pretty good handle on what I can get and what I should walk away from. The worst thing is going through an entire interview process and be given an offer that isn't even close to what it would take for you to switch jobs, so I'm happy to screen those clowns out early if possible.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Apparently my mindset of always anticipating poo poo going pear shaped and picking things apart to test them, and then always testing the whole regression, is a very marketable skill. And my constant triage in life is good for looking at what can blow up in a big system.

:unsmith:

Curiously I think that I might have put bugs in the ear of the interview to use himself even if I'm not hired lol.

https://boyter.org/2016/07/chaos-testing-engineering/ Also "Chaos Engineering" immediately struck me as what I was born for. How do I become a code monkey who makes monkeys?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Space Whale posted:

Apparently my mindset of always anticipating poo poo going pear shaped and picking things apart to test them, and then always testing the whole regression, is a very marketable skill. And my constant triage in life is good for looking at what can blow up in a big system.

:unsmith:

Curiously I think that I might have put bugs in the ear of the interview to use himself even if I'm not hired lol.

https://boyter.org/2016/07/chaos-testing-engineering/ Also "Chaos Engineering" immediately struck me as what I was born for. How do I become a code monkey who makes monkeys?

go work for a company with too much money because those are practically the only ones where chaos monkey bullshit actually flies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

uncurable mlady posted:

go work for a company with too much money because those are practically the only ones where chaos monkey bullshit actually flies

why is it BS tho?

Also what about if I don't want to be a stupid monkey