Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is Carnation Instant Dry Milk the same thing as High-Heat-Treated dry milk for the purposes of neutralizing the enzymes that can mess with yeast (like the reason you scald milk to put in bread dough)

That is the brand that I prefer. I've been experimenting with subbing mawa powder for dry milk, and it adds a flavor and texture I like. Give it a try maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Afriscipio posted:

Piri-piri (bird's eye) chili sauce is the perfect seasoning for liver, in my opinion. The sauce is Portuguese in origin (made popular by Nando's) and is made from crushed chilies, citrus peel, onion, pepper, garlic, salt, lemon juice, bay leaves, paprika, pimiento, basil, oregano, and tarragon.

This is good advice.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I have a shitload of liver, so I’m gonna do the classic liver and onions tonight, and then if my wife doesn’t gag I’ll try a chili based sauce later this week. Serious Eats also suggested chilis.

Anyone have recommendations for a good offal cookbook? Preferably with traditionally American recipes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

Any other non-daal veggie prep recipes you use? I have near-permanent fenugreek sweat already but want more big-batch veggie options. So much of the meal prep things seems to revolve around meat + veg.

I've been working on doing a Tomato and Bean sauce with noodles. I use crushed tomatoes, aromatics, lots of dried herbs (marjoram, oregano, thyme, basil), and a decent amount of freshly roasted raw sunflower seeds that I grind up. The sunflower seeds add flavor kind of like pan-fried meatballs. I use about half a pound of dried beans, cooked separately to a 32oz can of crushed tomato.

For the sunflower seeds, maybe 1/4 cup +/- some tablespoons of raw seeds, just use your best judgment. Warm up a small skillet on medium heat and add them in. If they're popping a little bit when still it's about the right heat. Toss them around until they get evenly brown and develop a deep nutty flavor, then grind. If they're burning (getting black spots instead of browning) dump them out into a bowl and try again at a lower heat.

It's a bit experimental, I've made it 2 times where it's great, and one time I did too many herbs and not enough sunflower so it wasn't as good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
What's a good, light pasta salad recipe I can whip up? I've had indigestion the last couple days, all I'm craving now is like a nice bright cold pasta salad to go with these whole wheat mini rotini I have. Don't quite trust garlic or onions playing well with my stomach right now, so those will have to be omitted

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm probably just nostalgic for my mom's pasta salad, but she'd use rotini and throw in raw broccoli and cauliflower chopped into small bits (no floret-sized pieces), diced red onion (which I know is a no-go for you), black olives, and small cubes of cheddar cheese, dressed with store-bought Italian dressing. It was hearty and satisfying and really hit the spot.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I want to make a crepe cake and I want to minimize the amount of dairy I use. Crepes have milk. Whipped cream is creamy. Gamache uses cream. Is there a good fake vegan crap solution, or do I just need to eat a ton of lactase pills?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket posted:

What's a good, light pasta salad recipe I can whip up? I've had indigestion the last couple days, all I'm craving now is like a nice bright cold pasta salad to go with these whole wheat mini rotini I have. Don't quite trust garlic or onions playing well with my stomach right now, so those will have to be omitted

Toss some oregano and thyme or whatever into some oil and vinegar (add a little mustard, not for flavor but for emulsification). Shake it up, maybe with some lemon too. Toss cherry tomatoes, lightly steamed zucchini noodles, parsley, whatever you want in a bowl with some dressing.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 24, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

I want to make a crepe cake and I want to minimize the amount of dairy I use. Crepes have milk. Whipped cream is creamy. Gamache uses cream. Is there a good fake vegan crap solution, or do I just need to eat a ton of lactase pills?

If you're looking to significantly alter the ingredients on every component of a dish you might wanna consider making something else.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I'm probably just nostalgic for my mom's pasta salad, but she'd use rotini and throw in raw broccoli and cauliflower chopped into small bits (no floret-sized pieces), diced red onion (which I know is a no-go for you), black olives, and small cubes of cheddar cheese, dressed with store-bought Italian dressing. It was hearty and satisfying and really hit the spot.

mmmmm, memories... Yeah, store-bought Italian dressing makes great pasta salad.

Another easy one: you can thin out some store-bought pesto with some oil and vinegar.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I ended up mincing a green pepper, finding some sweet red pimentos, mixing some olive oil, sesame oil, mustard, tyme, rosemary, a minced pickled tobasco pepper (I'm craving a bit of heat), some lingonberry vinegar from ikea, a heavy pinch of brown sugar, heavy spoonful of light sour cream and mayo each, mixed well. It is very yummy and delighful, just what I was wanting.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Liver and onions trip report: Made it for dinner last night and overcooked it. I also was subconsciously expecting muscle meat, so the texture was hard to get over. Tried again for lunch today and managed to cook it better. It tasted ok, but I'm still having trouble getting over the texture and the fact that it's liver. I'll probably try again in the future, but in the meantime I have been told it's really good as part of a bolognese sauce, so I'm gonna try that first.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

I've seen recipes for crepes that just use water instead of milk. A vegan chocolate icing of some kind shouldn't be too hard to find either. No idea what you'd do instead of whipped cream though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The frozen whipped topping (cool whip) is mostly water/oil/sugar and not dairy. It still has some so if you die from touching milk don't use that but if a little bit is ok that might work. There's still some dairy in it but not as much as pure whipped cream.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a product that will minimize the amount of oil that splashed everywhere when I pan fry something? Sometimes I use a regular steel pan sometimes a cast iron.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Is there a product that will minimize the amount of oil that splashed everywhere when I pan fry something? Sometimes I use a regular steel pan sometimes a cast iron.

Splatter guard/screen

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Casu Marzu posted:

Splatter guard/screen

This never works.

Deep cast iron Dutch oven, deep pot, or a wok. They sell silicone "fry walls" but if you can manage without it's better since I had a friend have a flare-up with one

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Would something like these no bake date treats freeze decently? Made them to weeks ago with some added peanut butter and they were fantastic, but they took a large amount of effort because I used an immersion blender instead of a food processor.

If they freeze decently enough I may just borrow a friend's food processor and make a fffffffffuck ton of them then freeze most.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

This never works.

Deep cast iron Dutch oven, deep pot, or a wok. They sell silicone "fry walls" but if you can manage without it's better since I had a friend have a flare-up with one

Splatter guards work okay for me, just gotta make sure to buy one with fine mesh. They don't completely eliminate oil droplets, but they do a pretty good job.

The answer really is to use a higher-walled vessel or deal with it, though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

This never works.

They work fine for me

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

BrianBoitano posted:

This never works.

Well that's terrifying, I have the silicone thing and no issues yet. What happened with theirs?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Johnny Truant posted:

Would something like these no bake date treats freeze decently? Made them to weeks ago with some added peanut butter and they were fantastic, but they took a large amount of effort because I used an immersion blender instead of a food processor.

If they freeze decently enough I may just borrow a friend's food processor and make a fffffffffuck ton of them then freeze most.

They look like they'd freeze fine, yes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Johnny Truant posted:

In my experience, the only things that get messed up by freezing are fresh produce and fresh meat left in the freezer for more than about 6 months. Repeated freeze-thaw cycles are bad for many other things (especially anything that's a bunch of small items together in a bag, like frozen peas) and most "frost-free" freezers (i.e., almost all freezers) rid themselves of frost build-up by warming up above freezing periodically, hence the ~6 month limit on a frozen porkchop. Sweet things and bread seem to do quite well in the freezer.

There's nothing in that recipe that would respond poorly to -20 C for weeks or months. Freeze them spread out on cookie sheet first, then put them in a bag or box, that way they won't freeze together into a giant lump.

Freezer burn can be useful. Anything really watery, like most fresh fruit and vegetables, will go mushy after freezing because the expanding ice crystals have shredded the cell walls and cell membranes, like tiny internal blenders. Freezing the apples before I made apple wine made the juicing process easier. The half-tomato and half-green-pepper I put in the freezer before going away for a month, instead of throwing them away, went into a pasta sauce after a quick trip through the blender when I got back. And literally chiseling off chunks of frozen-together brownies is quite satisfying, somehow.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

effika posted:

They look like they'd freeze fine, yes.

ExecuDork posted:

In my experience, the only things that get messed up by freezing are fresh produce and fresh meat left in the freezer for more than about 6 months. Repeated freeze-thaw cycles are bad for many other things (especially anything that's a bunch of small items together in a bag, like frozen peas) and most "frost-free" freezers (i.e., almost all freezers) rid themselves of frost build-up by warming up above freezing periodically, hence the ~6 month limit on a frozen porkchop. Sweet things and bread seem to do quite well in the freezer.

There's nothing in that recipe that would respond poorly to -20 C for weeks or months. Freeze them spread out on cookie sheet first, then put them in a bag or box, that way they won't freeze together into a giant lump.

Freezer burn can be useful. Anything really watery, like most fresh fruit and vegetables, will go mushy after freezing because the expanding ice crystals have shredded the cell walls and cell membranes, like tiny internal blenders. Freezing the apples before I made apple wine made the juicing process easier. The half-tomato and half-green-pepper I put in the freezer before going away for a month, instead of throwing them away, went into a pasta sauce after a quick trip through the blender when I got back. And literally chiseling off chunks of frozen-together brownies is quite satisfying, somehow.

Dope, thanks y'all! Looking forward to having energy balls for days.

Unrelated but next question: what's everybody's favourite yogurt-based sauce? I just got back into making my own yogurt, and wanna branch out from just eating it with too muchthe perfect amount of honey.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Tzatziki will be the best application that shows off the quality of the yogurt. There are a ton of Indian dishes that use yogurt in the sauce/marinade, but all of the spices and cooking will mute what makes the homemade stuff special. If you're drowning in the stuff and don't need to justify it being the star in whatever it is in, go for it though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anne Whateley posted:

Well that's terrifying, I have the silicone thing and no issues yet. What happened with theirs?

She said it flared up when she tried it the first time. I only know her through being an admin on a group together, so I don't know if she's the type to misuse something.

The other admins had used frywall as an advertiser, so they were very concerned. Person with the problem said it worked fine for her every time afterwards so no idea :shrug:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Splatter guards work okay for me, just gotta make sure to buy one with fine mesh. They don't completely eliminate oil droplets, but they do a pretty good job.

The answer really is to use a higher-walled vessel or deal with it, though.

I should say they work okay. They reduce the amount of splatter, probably keep the largest globs from landing on your skin & eyes, but doesn't keep your stove clean in any regard. I still use mine but if I'm frying something that likes to splatter then I know I'll need to clean anyhow.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

I should say they work okay. They reduce the amount of splatter, probably keep the largest globs from landing on your skin & eyes, but doesn't keep your stove clean in any regard. I still use mine but if I'm frying something that likes to splatter then I know I'll need to clean anyhow.

I know this struggle... I went to the trouble of alligator-clipping a layer of cheese cloth to the top of my splatter guard, and it helps a ton. It looks super weird, and has to be changed each time to not look disgusting, but it works.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

BrianBoitano posted:

She said it flared up when she tried it the first time. I only know her through being an admin on a group together, so I don't know if she's the type to misuse something.

The other admins had used frywall as an advertiser, so they were very concerned. Person with the problem said it worked fine for her every time afterwards so no idea :shrug:
I think it comes with a little powder iirc to prevent it from sticking together, so you're supposed to wash it first. Maybe that didn't happen? That's still pretty scary, though. And brave that she kept using it?!?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Yogurt sauce - raita. Serve with some almost unpleasantly spicy Indian food and the raita will be this delicious refreshing relief. Or just drown your samosas in it, either way.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Strain your yog hella far and make labneh

Edit: is there a trick to keep squash firm in curry? Lunch today is leftover squash curry from an Indonesian place and despite this being the second time reheating it the squash is still nice and toothsome. Whenever I make it at home my squash is always mush by the time I reheat it once.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

have you tried not using a screen with super wide holes? using a fine mesh would allow the use of surface tension to stop splatter.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

Tzatziki will be the best application that shows off the quality of the yogurt. There are a ton of Indian dishes that use yogurt in the sauce/marinade, but all of the spices and cooking will mute what makes the homemade stuff special. If you're drowning in the stuff and don't need to justify it being the star in whatever it is in, go for it though.

Was for sure gonna do tsatziki! I'm not necessarily drowning in yogurt, but just trying to have a plethora of options for different sauces. I'm thinking I'm gonna try a lime-cilantro-avocado one soon, for burrito bowls or maybe in combo with a salsa or something.

legendof posted:

Yogurt sauce - raita. Serve with some almost unpleasantly spicy Indian food and the raita will be this delicious refreshing relief. Or just drown your samosas in it, either way.

Any particular recipe you recommend, or should I just google a few and go from there? I loooooooooove Indian food, and since Indian food is a fuckin cinch with the Instant Pot, this aligns very well with my current eating habits.

Casu Marzu posted:

Strain your yog hella far and make labneh

I just had labneh for the first time in a Blue Apron free meal my partner and I lucked in to, it was drat good! Is it just very strained yogurt, or is it the yogurt with lemon in it, specifically?

And related, any tips on straining my yogurt? Last batch I tossed it in our straining bag and left it for probably... 2.5 hours? I normally do about 2. Gets it to about Greek yogurt consistency, not sure if there's anything past that or not!

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
I have a question on the order in which to cook things.

I make green beans with a garlic-pecorino cream sauce with pancetta on top.

Currently, I cook it in this order:

1. Render, brown, and drain pancetta on a paper towel.
2. I steam my green beans while the pancetta is cooking.
3. I leave some of the oil from the pancetta in the pan and add minced garlic until cooked but not brown.

Now here's the tricky part that I'm confused about.

Sometimes I toss the green beans with the garlic and then add heavy cream and cheese.

Sometimes I add heavy cream and cheese to the garlic and let that reduce and then add the green beans.

Sometimes I'm too lazy and I never remove the pancetta, and I add the garlic right when the pancetta starts to brown and then I finish the meal with the green beans and the cream sauce, but I definitely know this is wrong because my pancetta loses its texture with all of the moisture.

So what's the right order to cook this? Make the cream sauce and then add the green beans? Or make the green beans and then make the cream sauce around the beans?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Question for pastry baking chemists: I'm trying to make dorayaki pancakes following the JustOneCookbook recipe.
I'm having trouble getting them to bake right.

My stove is an old electric with cast-iron plates. There are 6 power settings for each plate.
I'm using an undamaged ceramic non-stick frying pan to bake in.

If I attempt to bake the dorayaki at heat setting 3, it seems the batter never solidifies or rises properly, instead just becomes sticky like the sugar is melting into caramel. It's difficult to reach under the cakes without massively deforming them and they don't really form a proper crust.
At setting 4 the cakes do solidify, rise, and form a crust, but the time window between having solidified enough to lift it without deforming it, and the bottom almost charring, is very short. I think the proper bake time is between 50-60 seconds, but because of how fast the crust darkens I'm worried the center of the cakes will end up unbaked.

Can anyone explain what's actually happening, why baking completely fails at the lower heat setting?
Any suggestions on how I can improve my process?

I'm strongly considering getting a new non-stick skillet with much lower walls, and perhaps look for an even thinner spatula.
I also have a tabletop single-plate induction cooker, but my preferred pan isn't compatible and I have very little experience using it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Johnny Truant posted:

Was for sure gonna do tsatziki! I'm not necessarily drowning in yogurt, but just trying to have a plethora of options for different sauces. I'm thinking I'm gonna try a lime-cilantro-avocado one soon, for burrito bowls or maybe in combo with a salsa or something.

Chipotle lime yogurt is a crazy good taco topping. We make it instead of normal crema for tacos when we are doing low cal. Just blend the poo poo out of it until it is smooth. Lime zest and juice, and salt.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Johnny Truant posted:

Those look like a great idea for a catering gig I've got coming up where ideally all the food is ball shaped. I've been struggling to think up good options for the gluten free and vegan crowd, so those look perfect!

Do you have to keep them refrigerated? The recipe says to freeze for 30 min or fridge for a couple hours, but nothing about storage.

Edit: also, how about many balls does it make, if they were say about ping pong ball sized? "Serves 6" is a pretty lame metric of quantity in this case, especially since they don't tell you what size ball to make. (Jeez, what a neat idea but horribly written recipe)

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 25, 2018

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Johnny Truant posted:

Any particular recipe you recommend, or should I just google a few and go from there? I loooooooooove Indian food, and since Indian food is a fuckin cinch with the Instant Pot, this aligns very well with my current eating habits.

Honestly at this point I kinda just go by taste and what I'm serving it with. You'll see recipes with any of subset of mint, cumin, cilantro, green onion, lemon, coriander, and ginger. It's important to get a cucumber in there (I grate mine and then salt it, let it sit, and squeeze out some liquid in a cheesecloth), but after that your seasonings can vary. I like garlic salt + mint + lemon + green onion, but I've also done other combinations with great success.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ExecuDork posted:

Imost "frost-free" freezers (i.e., almost all freezers) rid themselves of frost build-up by warming up above freezing periodically

I don’t think this is accurate: modern frost-free freezers have an evaporator, which removes water vapour (the principle cause of frost build-up) from the air, and the thaw cycle warms up the evaporator, not the main freezer chamber, removing the frost that has built up in it, allowing it to continue drawing water from the air inside the freezer.

If the freezer is not very full, this could cause a slight warming of the inside, but if you have your freezer stocked up (which you should do, because it makes it much more efficient), it really shouldn’t be a problem.

Source: I work for a scientific supplier, and I talk to the freezer guy a lot because he’s alright.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
To everyone who bought Penzeys spices a week ago: they did 5.5 months’ worth of sales in 3 days and ran out of jars, so the final shipment of the free stuff won’t go out for another week or two, apparently. Good for them. Most has already shipped, reportedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What caused the sudden jump in sales?

Also, gently caress their jars. Get their stuff in bags if you can.