Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Psst, it’s not your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

Psst, it’s not your turn.

gently caress

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I can’t see paying $80 for it. So

Bid $70

I assume Panzeh is still going to buy it outright.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

I can’t see paying $80 for it. So

Bid $70

I assume Panzeh is still going to buy it outright.

And I will.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ok, we're onto the first stock round! As Panzeh was the last to buy a company, General's now the Priority Dealer - I'll keep track of that w/ a "PD" in the OP.
The only thing anyone can do (besides passing) is auction off President Certs right now. Winning bid is halved and rounded down and that's the company's starting stock price. e: Minimum bid's 100, max is 400, no other rules changes from last round.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 26, 2018

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Since it's half past midnight here, I'm going to break sequence and announce: I win the first Certificate auction with a bid of 330, transferring everything I have to AA, who has an initial stock price of 165 and a home station in Toledo. Orvin's start.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The sequence break works out fine, but I should have had the priority deal after the last private. It goes to next in player order from the last person to initiate a private auction. And during stock rounds, play proceeds to the next player based on who initiated the auction.

Not trying to be to picky, just want to make sure everyone understands the rules. It can become important later. I need to do some math to figure out an opening bid. It’s going to be Pittsburgh, I just need to figure out how much.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Orvin, be as rules picky as it takes. I still haven't read the rule book. Just checked a few things. Though I do find it interesting that the Player Hints say the opening companies we just auctioned are only worth 50-75% of face value, but there's enough money for everybody to buy them out right.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I will start out with PSN in Pittsburgh, opening bid of $140

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The General posted:

Orvin, be as rules picky as it takes. I still haven't read the rule book. Just checked a few things. Though I do find it interesting that the Player Hints say the opening companies we just auctioned are only worth 50-75% of face value, but there's enough money for everybody to buy them out right.

The little bit I remember from playing a couple of times with veteran 18xx players is that only a couple of the privates are worth paying face value for. Most of them don't contribute enough extra to compensate for the loss of starting cash in the company. Look at the bridge companies. The tokens are likely to go out at some point in the game, with 3 tokens and 3 places to put them, so no particular value added there. And they both get the build free on rivers ability. So the $80 version is no where near worth double the $40 version. I think the coal companies are worth somewhere between $20-$25 a token. They provide a $15 build, and the ability to put unupgradable track in favorable positions is worth a little bit of a premium. The mail contracts take a long time to pay off, so those are usually bought at a discount.

This is all subject to groupthink. But the one thing I also remember is that having your early companies have a really high share value is very dangerous. If you merge two 2-share companies that are over $100 in value, you wind up with a huge $200 company that is begging to be shorted.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

I will start out with PSN in Pittsburgh, opening bid of $140

Pass.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pass

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Fund PSN with Pittsburgh Steel Mill, Minor Coal Mine, and $70

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I aim to start BESS in blacksburg with a starting bid of $170.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pass.

Edit: From my understanding, any company can start anywhere there's room to place an initial station marker?
Edit 2: Aside from Toronto.

The General fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 26, 2018

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The General posted:

Pass.

Edit: From my understanding, any company can start anywhere there's room to place an initial station marker?
Edit 2: Aside from Toronto.

That is correct.

Panzeh wins the auction as I don’t have enough funds to bid.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ALT in Charleston $160

This game is already proving to be too hard for my feeble brain.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Fund BESS with major coal company and union bridge company.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Thanks to Orvin for covering up my sloppy rulebooking. Another rule that I got wrong about this action is you declare its location at the start, not as you're paying. Which makes a lot more sense, honestly.
Also, if nobody would scream bloody murder, I'd like to rebrand AA railways as Pittsburgh and Lake Eerie. It'd be nice to be thematic, and not, as I currently am, just furthest left on the spreadsheet.
e: Orvin's now got write-access to the sheet. At least I hope that was Orvin. If the other two want in, it's yours for the asking.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 26, 2018

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pass on ALT

Since Mr. Squishy is out of funds, I am next to put a company for auction. But I want to see how The General funds the ALT before I make a decision.

I do want to point out some of the tricky things involving coal mine tokens. When using a coal mine token to build on a mountain hex, there are some restrictions. The mountain hex has to be adjacent to a city hex, and the placed track must point to a city on at least one side. So no placing long convoluted routes through the mountains to get 3 or 4 coal tokens on a route between 2 cities. Also, a hex with a coal token can never be upgraded. It may not be a big issue now, but mid-late game, getting a token in certain cities will be really important.

Finally, Panzeh, do you intend to build north towards Pittsburgh with the BESS? Asking now, since you run before The General’s ALT, and I would like to connect Pittsburgh to a city south of it through some coal tokens. I am open to placing the Pittsburgh tile in either orientation an building one of the coal routes south.

I did request write access to the sheet, but will only be able to update the sheet from home in the evening.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Is it possible to get access to the game board for observation purposes? I'm Dancer on board18.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I was going to post screenshots of the board states at the end of rounds, but I don't see how this could hurt.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

Pass on ALT

Since Mr. Squishy is out of funds, I am next to put a company for auction. But I want to see how The General funds the ALT before I make a decision.

I do want to point out some of the tricky things involving coal mine tokens. When using a coal mine token to build on a mountain hex, there are some restrictions. The mountain hex has to be adjacent to a city hex, and the placed track must point to a city on at least one side. So no placing long convoluted routes through the mountains to get 3 or 4 coal tokens on a route between 2 cities. Also, a hex with a coal token can never be upgraded. It may not be a big issue now, but mid-late game, getting a token in certain cities will be really important.

Finally, Panzeh, do you intend to build north towards Pittsburgh with the BESS? Asking now, since you run before The General’s ALT, and I would like to connect Pittsburgh to a city south of it through some coal tokens. I am open to placing the Pittsburgh tile in either orientation an building one of the coal routes south.

I did request write access to the sheet, but will only be able to update the sheet from home in the evening.

I would definitely be interested in building towards Pittsburgh if you are interested in helping me out with the route.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I'm really regretting my move. I'm proposing a soft-undo where my asynch turn is cancelled, I'm assumed to have passed the last two auctions, and, as General was last to start an auction, I go now with a more reasonable bid for Toledo. I make this suggestion assuming no one would have auctioned off Toledo station. It's a big ask, I know, so if any player vetos it, we'll just go w/ what's happened.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I don’t have a problem with you changing your bid on Toledo. None of my plans revolved specifically around you only having Toledo.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I would definitely be interested in building towards Pittsburgh if you are interested in helping me out with the route.

I can only commit to building one coal tile, as that is all I have access to. But if you commit to building the other, we can link up the two cities through two coal tiles. The only catch is that you may have to spend money for a second build on the first turn, or else The General could get the route built first. I honestly don’t care which city I point towards, it’s just that your company goes first in turn order.

I figure we can finalize the lay of Pittsburgh once we get through the SR and see where all the companies end up.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Pass on ALT as well.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The General posted:

ALT in Charleston $160

Funding ALT with Engineers, Coal Mine + $60

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Well, nobody's objected so I'll scrub the share price and re-enter the round:
$110 for Pittsburgh and Lake Eerie in Toledo

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pass

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Start BELT in Baltimore at $140

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

We're bidding on Toledo at the moment, as I special plead my way back into this round.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mr. Squishy posted:

We're bidding on Toledo at the moment, as I special plead my way back into this round.

Oh, my bad. Pass.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pass.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

$50 capital and the small mail

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 26, 2018

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bid $170 on EJE in Cleveland

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Orvin posted:

Bid $170 on EJE in Cleveland

Pass

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pass.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Fund EJE with $170 cash

I will pass the rest of the stock round.

• Locked thread