Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perplx posted:

they use the lower power ram to have 30 day standby time, if they used regular ram it would less than 7 days

thats 14%+ battery drain per day vs 3%

maybe instead of keeping everything in RAM for weeks at a time they could suspend to the 3GBps ssd and power down the DRAM. nobody is going to open their computer after not using it for seven days and go "this is unacceptable!!" when it takes a second to wake.

gently caress do some Apple it just works magic with Bluetooth proximity or vibration detection or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Binary Badger posted:

phil schiller constantly cites power usage as the reason they don't go to 32 GB, he keeps saying they couldn't keep offering the ten hours or whatever battery life with the amount of power LPDDR4 currently requires

gently caress this garbage, if i want 32 GB of RAM on my laptop it's because i'm using it plugged in most of the time as a desktop replacement, and i'm willing to take the drat battery life hit

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shifty Pony posted:

maybe instead of keeping everything in RAM for weeks at a time they could suspend to the 3GBps ssd and power down the DRAM. nobody is going to open their computer after not using it for seven days and go "this is unacceptable!!" when it takes a second to wake.

gently caress do some Apple it just works magic with Bluetooth proximity or vibration detection or something.

“as an engineer I understand why my computer sometimes wakes up quickly and sometimes wakes up slowly so it’s fine” is not an argument that works on Apple product managers.

iPads don’t have this issue, why should laptops? I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to identify the problem and how Apple will fix it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
because ipads and laptops are different, if they were the same you wouldn't have two product lines

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah id rather have more + faster ram than a computer I don't use for 30 days.

:agreed:
give me the option, tim

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

“as an engineer I understand why my computer sometimes wakes up quickly and sometimes wakes up slowly so it’s fine” is not an argument that works on Apple product managers.

iPads don’t have this issue, why should laptops? I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to identify the problem and how Apple will fix it

The problem: lovely PMs
The fix: WontFix

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
solution: stop selling laptops

boom. i mean the ipad pro exists for a reason, right?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
solution: bring back the 17" macbook pro & make it the 32 gb ram option

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

akadajet posted:

:agreed:
give me the option, tim

you can't have it as an option because it would require models with different cpu/chipset/whateverthatshitiscalledthesedays and different ram and that means less economy of scale for apple and there's just no way they could possibly handle $800 of pure profit per unit sold instead of $1000

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

because ipads and laptops are different, if they were the same you wouldn't have two product lines

give them a few more years and this won't be a concern anymore

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

oh i get it, the keyboard is intentionally bad to get us ready for the future of no keyboard at all here's your ipad have fun loser

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the problem with passive drain isn't your laptop going from 100% to 72% in 2 days, it's going from 10% to 1% if you leave it unplugged overnight

also lol @ siri

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my hp elitesomething work laptop takes longer to wake up from "hibernate" than it does to cold boot from power off

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

going from 100% to 72% in 2 days,

don’t use chrome

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if you leave your laptop unplugged and in ram-using sleep mode (ie not hibernate to disk) for long periods then you are an idiot

are you gonna complain if you leave your car battery on overnight and it drains even though you weren't "doing anything" with the car

especially when the solution is so simple: don't be a moron and do the thing you are supposed to do with the thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

qirex posted:

my hp elitesomething work laptop takes longer to wake up from "hibernate" than it does to cold boot from power off

hp makes bad computers, news at 11

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
love too janitor S-states instead of just closing the lid

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

love too janitor S-states instead of just closing the lid

// hope nothing was running in an isr!
__wfe();

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

NOFIX: slow tiny ram working as intended.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

as an engineer I understand why my computer sometimes wakes up quickly and sometimes wakes up slowly so its fine is not an argument that works on Apple product managers.

i know this is bullshit because half of the time a macbook won't want to wake up at all. it will just reboot when i open it for the first time of a given day

akadajet fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 26, 2018

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

i know this is bullshit because half of the time a macbook won't want to wake up at all. it will just reboot when i open it for the first time of a given day

what wacky stuff is it running that it does that??? even my work laptop doesnt do that, and its running some terrible symantec garbage

its also one of the last 2015 macbook pros we bought so i avoided the keyboard and usb 2017 models our other team members got so win win

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

they made me swap my 2014 to a 2015 with the team change, so i guess i got the haptic trackpad, but honestly who cares, its still a good laptop when the other option is

infernal machines posted:

hp makes bad computers, news at 11

coke
Jul 12, 2009

bronin posted:

I’ve had this happen from time to time. like once a month or once every 3 months or whatever. No real culprit app wise but the battery drains down a lot faster than normal. you can usually spot it when use time is more or less the same as standby time. A reboot fixes it every time.

that's why every morning you should

- go into app store, make sure all the apps are updated for the day
- kill all background/frozen apps with the long hold on the X and swipe up motion
- go into settings/icloud/backup and run a backup
- wait till the backup is complete, turn off wifi manually in settings because control center is garbage
- swipe away settings
- shutdown the iphone x by holding the lock button and volume up and swipe to turn off

- fresh boot

never had any battery problems with any iphones with the fresh boot method every morning especially with the background app disabled completely

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

coke posted:

- kill all background/frozen apps with the long hold on the X and swipe up motion
- wait till the backup is complete, turn off wifi manually in settings because control center is garbage
- swipe away settings
- shutdown the iphone x by holding the lock button and volume up and swipe to turn off

- fresh boot

never had any battery problems with any iphones with the fresh boot method every morning especially with the background app disabled completely

lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the android experience, for iPhone

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Gotta janitor that phones background apps loving up

what is this, android now?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

coke posted:

- swipe away settings

- fresh boot

source your quotes

pram
Jun 10, 2001

coke posted:

- swipe away settings

- fresh boot

jfc

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i love this thred

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

what wacky stuff is it running that it does that??? even my work laptop doesnt do that, and its running some terrible symantec garbage

nothing special? my last 3 work macbooks all had weird issues about waking from sleep after being left alone for a day or more

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
holy poo poo this post

code:
apps only auto update when you're on power and wifi so this won't do anything
code:
lol do you get your battery advice from people on a subway?
this is not how multitasking works. Apps are very aggressively suspended/closed unless they go 'hey I need to finish this upload' and either hand that process off to the OS or they get a limited amount of time, and they might be killed anyways. Plus apps can spin up in the background from pushes or background app refresh. Force quitting things in springboard does not affect this and the only thing you're doing is closing any saved app state out of memory, so the next time it opens, it takes more energy. good job.
code:
this happens overnight in the maintenance window your phone determines by when you usually sleep. It too only happens when plugged in and on wifi, since you want to avoid draining the battery completely overnight if you forget to plug in your phone, then your alarm won't go off and you'll get fired from your job so you can no longer afford to purchase a new iPhone
code:
leaving wifi on doesn't really have a negative energy usage impact, and when its on you will automatically use wifi for transmission when possible (more power efficient than cellular). When you need to get a location fix, its significantly faster and more power efficient to use wifi triangulation than to use GPS, not to mention it will improve accuracy even with GPS in cities.
code:
- swipe away settings
cool
code:
skip the next step
code:
- fresh boot 

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

EVERY MORNING I OPEN PALM SWIPE THE SCREEN OF MY X. ITS TIME TO FRESH BOOT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START FORCE CLOSING APPS. MAKING WOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SWIPE UP SOME BATTERY DRAINERS OR EVEN WHEN I sorry thats as far as i got

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Jimmy Carter posted:

holy poo poo this post
oh yeah those are a given

have your iphone x plugged in already and fully charged when you go through every step

unplug only after the last step of fresh reboot with passcode entered and everything, if you unplug before the phone is booted, the battery meter doesn't seem to calibrate properly and wont know how long you have been on battery power

also get a good 5 volt / 500 mA USB charger to make sure you dont end up fast charging your battery with high current for nothing

since you are most likely leaving it plugged in overnight anyway and ends with float charging, which might degrade the battery faster

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

coke posted:

oh yeah those are a given

have your iphone x plugged in already and fully charged when you go through every step

unplug only after the last step of fresh reboot with passcode entered and everything, if you unplug before the phone is booted, the battery meter doesn't seem to calibrate properly and wont know how long you have been on battery power

also get a good 5 volt / 500 mA USB charger to make sure you dont end up fast charging your battery with high current for nothing

since you are most likely leaving it plugged in overnight anyway and ends with float charging, which might degrade the battery faster

thank you for this interesting and informative post

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

are these posts parodies of something. i am so confused

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Linguica posted:

are these posts parodies of something. i am so confused

I hope/bet they are. I recently saw that my coworker swiped every app closed whenever she was done with whatever she was doing with her iPhone. I explained in quite some detail that that’s not necessary unless an app misbehaves and that it might even cost more energy. She understood and changed her behavior.
My Dad on the other hand... He told me his IT guy at work who gave him is work phone told him to close all apps regularly :downs:

bronin fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 26, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

bronin posted:

I hope/bet they are. I recently saw that my coworker swiped every app closed whenever she was done with whatever she was doing with her iPhone. I explained in quite some detail that that’s not necessary unless an app misbehaves and that it might even cost more energy. She understood and changed her behavior.
My Dad on the other hand... He told me his IT guy at work who gave him is work phone told him to close all apps regularly :downs:

how would you notice something like that?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Wheany posted:

how would you notice something like that?

battery drains faster than normal, phone gets warm. Or really obvious an app hangs completely.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
a simple normal shutdown and power on every few days is all the preventative medicine you need. lol at that rain dance someone posted earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

may the computer gods grant battery life and performance with the cleansing ritual *burns sage, lights candles to Steve icon, toggles settings, closes apps, restarts phone, utters a solemn prayer, blows out*

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 26, 2018