Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Found this show some weeks back and have now caught up with all of campaign 2. Now I have to wait for the next episode like... some kind of waiting person... instead of binging.

Seriously considering starting campaign 1 but I get the feeling that it'd be confusing following both simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
Mostly following both has meant that I ignore campaign 2 because there’s so much 1 to binge, even though I like 2 better.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The great thing about Campaign 1 is that those 400 hours will still be there when you're eventually ready for it. Vacations, long road trips, etc.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Hulk Smash! posted:

Found this show some weeks back and have now caught up with all of campaign 2. Now I have to wait for the next episode like... some kind of waiting person... instead of binging.

Seriously considering starting campaign 1 but I get the feeling that it'd be confusing following both simultaneously.
I don't think that would be a problem, especially if you're listening to podcasts to catch up. The voices and style of campaign are very different - it's a very different feel.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Yeah the only problem I'm having following both at once is because I'm bouncing between podcast and youtube depending on if I'm at work, car or home so it's hard to keep track of where I am in season 2 since it is slower. Season 1 is a lot faster paced once they get out of the dwarven city, though higher levels helps with that as well. The character voices are definitely very distinct as are the feel and setting of the campaign. It also feels like this early on season 1 the players mostly talk out of character, whereas in season 2 they spend much more time in character with a lot more participation.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Hulk Smash! posted:

nah it's fine all of their characters are pretty different from c2.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Firstborn posted:

I wouldn't even consider Blood Hunter if I was making a "vampire hunter" sort of archetype. I'd sooner be a Paladin, Ranger, or even a Rogue. His Gunslinger class was pretty weak, too, basically a longbow that needed reloading and had a chance to jam.
Even the background mechanics are too niche. In almost every fiction that has undead hunters and stuff, there's always one particular trope that is "monsters hunting monsters" and hurting themselves to do so that I never resonated with. Hunter: the Reckoning comes to mind with the "Martyr", if I'm remembering correctly. Maybe not.

I do like Molly's circus background, too. And I do like that whenever the other players are asking him about circus, he answers some questions but does it in an elegant way to avoid setting some things in stone that Matt may have planned. Whenever this happens, Matt is staring intently as if he's waiting to jump in and correct some detail, but never does. I'm experimenting with letting my players do the same and potentially set small details about the world through their background with my push.

E: Arcane Trickster flavoured as sort of a Pathfinder Inquisitor would be cool. Xanathar's Inquisitive is way better.

Granted I've not watched the new season yet and this is from a couple pages back, but from that article on Blood Hunters, the class really seems to me to be kind of a love letter to The Witcher, with the order of the Mutant basically being straight up a Witcher full stop. I've never really minded the "Monster hunting worse monsters" trope because it kind of makes sense in my mind. In a world rife with soul eating demons, monstrous creatures, fire breathing dragons, and the by-products of magic run amok, someone scared and vulnerable is liable to turn to troubling powers to deal with their desperate situation. Stare into the abyss and it stares back into you and all that.

I only really discovered this recently, and I'm only on episode 16 so far as they are entering Vasselheim, but I'm enjoying it so far. My only complaint right now is that it seems like Trinket isn't terribly well utilized and mostly serves to slow the party down figuring out how to get her around. Percy seems kind of meh and there are a lot of house rules for him around something that overall doesn't seem terribly effective but his roleplay is fine.

I did like the sudden shock when they realized Clarota was going to turn on them the hot second he was rejoined to the conclave. The heel turn and subsequent flight from the underdark was probably some of the best D&D I've ever witnessed when it became a sudden madcap dash to get away while also dragging around a halfling statue and an ancient unknowable artifact of terrifying power.

Now that I've got an idea of what I'm getting into (and now that I'm at a good break point in the first season) I may start in on season 2 and try and catch up.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 25, 2018

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

the pub crawl with the kima statute was amazing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

sudo rm -rf posted:

the pub crawl with the kima statute was amazing.

"It's a garden gnome."

"Whoa! Racist against gnomes"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The guy who plays Percy was on the wrong mix of meds during the first part of the first campaign and it generally makes him seem pretty underwhelming, and his class is a homebrew port. He really comes into his own mechanically and narratively though, especially once he was on the right mix/dose of meds. Since I don't know how much spoilers you've been exposed to I'll not say when unless you want to know.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Are you being serious about the meds thing or is that just a really lovely choice of analogy?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's by Taliesin's own admission.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah he brought it up at one of the con panels they did back when.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dameius posted:

The guy who plays Percy was on the wrong mix of meds during the first part of the first campaign and it generally makes him seem pretty underwhelming, and his class is a homebrew port. He really comes into his own mechanically and narratively though, especially once he was on the right mix/dose of meds. Since I don't know how much spoilers you've been exposed to I'll not say when unless you want to know.

Trinket on the other hand really never stops being a hassle.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Ah, okay. I've seen some decidedly lovely things said about the cast of this show so I immediately thought that was a joke in bad taste.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Blockhouse posted:

Trinket on the other hand really never stops being a hassle.

Sam/Scanlans outright disdain for this bear being dragged around with them is hilarious, almost as good as any time they're trying to get through a tight spot and Matt asks "What is Trinket doing?" and none of them have remembered it's even with them.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Trinket being turned into a Pokémon though was the best thing to happen to Trinket and allowed us to have Kamikaze Pokémon Grog soooo not all bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Trinket basically exists because Laura's a big animal lover, but that's also the problem: 5e pets aren't so useful as to seem essential in combat, and he has substantially less HP than the rest of the party, so Laura refuses to put him in any actual danger for like half the campaign for fear of losing him. It gets to the point that Matt has to give him a couple of permanent buffs and a custom magic item before she STARTS to try using him in combat, and even then his biggest use is to give Vax the chance to get Sneak Attack on things.

DeathSandwich posted:

Granted I've not watched the new season yet and this is from a couple pages back, but from that article on Blood Hunters, the class really seems to me to be kind of a love letter to The Witcher, with the order of the Mutant basically being straight up a Witcher full stop. I've never really minded the "Monster hunting worse monsters" trope because it kind of makes sense in my mind. In a world rife with soul eating demons, monstrous creatures, fire breathing dragons, and the by-products of magic run amok, someone scared and vulnerable is liable to turn to troubling powers to deal with their desperate situation. Stare into the abyss and it stares back into you and all that.

Oh, it's 110% a Witcher class. Matt is a HUGE fan of the games, to the point of actually cosplaying as Geralt for one of their Halloween streams. By which I mean he MADE a version of the starting armour from Wild Hunt. Once CDPR cleared them to do so, he's been using TONS of Witcher soundtrack stuff in their music mix. (I think they also are allowed to use TES music, and stuff from Pillars Of Eternity... Maybe Dragon Age, also?)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

victorious posted:

Sam/Scanlans outright disdain for this bear being dragged around with them is hilarious, almost as good as any time they're trying to get through a tight spot and Matt asks "What is Trinket doing?" and none of them have remembered it's even with them.

The former also leads to the fantastic joke of Liam making Sam be a beast master ranger in the Liam's Quest episodes.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'd have expected them to figure out the pokemon Trinket thing earlier with all the other conveniences they had at the start of the show. Magic carpet, bag of holding, presumably infinite Percy ammo and Vex arrows, Vax's belt recalling his daggers, Grog's axe chain and so on. They could have done the CRPG thing and just had Trinket wander up out of the shadows no matter how they got to their current destination. Even the OG pokemon and ranger pet Drizzt's panther was a figurine most of the time.

edit: forgot the walkie talkie earrings, though only 4-5 of them have those

bagrada fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 25, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bagrada posted:

I'd have expected them to figure out the pokemon Trinket thing earlier with all the other conveniences they had at the start of the show. Magic carpet, bag of holding, presumably infinite Percy ammo and Vex arrows, Vax's belt recalling his daggers, Grog's axe chain and so on. They could have done the CRPG thing and just had Trinket wander up out of the shadows no matter how they got to their current destination. Even the OG pokemon and ranger pet Drizzt's panther was a figurine most of the time.

Scanlan did briefly have a very Guenhwyvar-esque (yes I looked up her name) dog thing... that they lost after one of the dragon fights because it took enough damage to revert to being a figurine and they never picked it up before teleporting away.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

victorious posted:

Sam/Scanlans outright disdain for this bear being dragged around with them is hilarious
Lies.

"I LOVE TRINKETS!" ~ Sam, on Trinkets. Context? Whats that? No such thing. Trinket is love.

Also, I'm watching this Liam Quest and it's really weird. Laura's hulahooping is on point and the opening is really funny, Vax looks like Elrond going through an Emo phase. The actual... adventure(?) is also amazing. Already betting on the dog Sam is looking after dying by the end.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, it's 110% a Witcher class. Matt is a HUGE fan of the games, to the point of actually cosplaying as Geralt for one of their Halloween streams. By which I mean he MADE a version of the starting armour from Wild Hunt. Once CDPR cleared them to do so, he's been using TONS of Witcher soundtrack stuff in their music mix. (I think they also are allowed to use TES music, and stuff from Pillars Of Eternity... Maybe Dragon Age, also?)

Matt also has access to the full WoW music library because Blizzard adores him. The Thordak fight is set to the Molten Core music

bagrada posted:

edit: forgot the walkie talkie earrings, though only 4-5 of them have those

The problem is that the class Laura is playing, Beast Master ranger, is frankly garbage in 5e. Even WotC knows it and has tried and tried to buff them to the point of usability. The design of the class strongly encourages players to treat animal companions as completely disposable and cycle through them rapidly as they die - but this is idiotic because anybody who wants to play a Beast Master ranger probably wants an animal companion with a name and a personality. Matt spent a lot of time trying to make Trinket usable and ultimately Vex was just not a very effective character in combat until she gave up on ranger and started multiclassing into rogue so she could bomb sneak attacks into people.

The Pokeball thing was a custom item Matt made and he has stated he never intended for it to be used as a Pokeball for Trinket. The item is intended to trap enemies and comes with a save DC. It didn't occur to him that the party could use it on Trinket to transport him more easily but once they did, he was so impressed he later gave Trinket a buff that finally allowed Vex to feel safe using him in combat because he was permanently tied to the necklace and if he went unconscious in battle, he just automatically returned to it. Like a Pokemon fainting :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Things like the pokeball are why I'm kind of hyped for the game I'm starting this weekend for my group. I'm gonna be running the AGE version of Blue Rose, and that system basically has 90% of the spells designed to be equally usable in and out of combat to the point where they can be used in tons of interesting ways, and I know one of my players is likely to be thinking that way, and he's already said he wants to roll a support caster.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Popo posted:

Lies.

"I LOVE TRINKETS!" ~ Sam, on Trinkets. Context? Whats that? No such thing. Trinket is love.

Also, I'm watching this Liam Quest and it's really weird. Laura's hulahooping is on point and the opening is really funny, Vax looks like Elrond going through an Emo phase. The actual... adventure(?) is also amazing. Already betting on the dog Sam is looking after dying by the end.

the highlight of part 1 is Sam stopping in the middle of the post-apocalypse to ask Travis if he was getting paid more than him

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

the highlight of part 1 is Sam stopping in the middle of the post-apocalypse to ask Travis if he was getting paid more than him

Travis was on his A-game for that episode, and he's one of the consistently best players at the table. Him and Sam have a fantastic dynamic and that episode was full of it.

"He was never good at the cold reads..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sam's running gag in the prologue bits of stop-starting his line reads is gold.

I've also realised that Laura is probably going to end up being the treasurer again in the Nein. She's taking Jester's realisation that she can't rely on Mommy paying for everything and seems to be parlaying it into Jester panicking over ANY spending that isn't totally necessary. She was basically insisting on using spell slots instead of potions last week and kept grumbling about the money when the others did use their potions.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 26, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gaz-L posted:

Sam's running gag in the prologue bits of stop-starting his line reads is gold.

I've also realised that Laura is probably going to end up being the treasurer again in the Nein. She's taking Jester's realisation that she can't rely on Mommy paying for everything and seems to be parlaying it into Jester panicking over ANY spending that isn't totally necessary. She was basically insisting on using spell slots instead of potions last week and kept grumbling about the money when the others did use their potions.

I mean, by the time we got started with the season 1 crew, they were already well established financially and were at the point they could throw around money willy nilly. It makes sense especially in the low levels that the people be concerned about their finances until people start getting a stock of magic items.

Watched the first episode of season 2 last night and it seemed fine. I'm liking that this seems like a rougher, more motley rogues crew this season. I think right now my big complaint is that Beau just comes off as a salty rear end in a top hat pretty much at all times and I have a hard time believing any if the other characters wanting to hang with her in-character. She's not CHAOTIC STUPID bad though, and I'm not going to hate on her like the rest of the internet does, I just want to see some humanity out of her before this is over.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Oh good, there's a thread for this.

Tried getting into the first season but fell off it (for various reasons). I'm enjoying the second season a lot more. Like Sandwiches (above), I feel a greater affinity for this lowly band of common schlubs than I ever did for the polished superheroes of the previous campaign. Caleb and Nott, in particular, are my favorites, and I'm happy pretty much any time either of those two are doing anything. Ford and Jester are good too, and Molly and Beau have their moments. Yasha's the only one I'm not really feeling, but that might be because she shows up so rarely - though I liked Shakaste so maybe not. Her player just sounds so bored whenever she talks, like she's the one friend here because all her other friends are here.

Not quite current yet since I'm a podcast person, but it's given me something to look forward to on Thursdays (my least favorite days).

Anyway, here's my favorite piece of fanart I've found.

I don't know who drew it, sorry.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Bad Seafood posted:

Tried getting into the first season but fell off it (for various reasons). I'm enjoying the second season a lot more. Like Sandwiches (above), I feel a greater affinity for this lowly band of common schlubs than I ever did for the polished superheroes of the previous campaign. Caleb and Nott, in particular, are my favorites, and I'm happy pretty much any time either of those two are doing anything. Ford and Jester are good too, and Molly and Beau have their moments. Yasha's the only one I'm not really feeling, but that might be because she shows up so rarely - though I liked Shakaste so maybe not. Her player just sounds so bored whenever she talks, like she's the one friend here because all her other friends are here.

I think that's more her character in this one. She has some pretty good moments in the first season when she's riffing with Grog, but that could also be a factor of just how good Travis was with Grog.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

It's definitely more Yasha than Ashley. Ashley's a very excitable and cheery person. I'm hoping her being back from Blindspot for awhile will mean we get real development with Yasha. Before she has to bail again. When will they cancel that drat show?!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Gaz-L posted:

Trinket basically exists because Laura's a big animal lover, but that's also the problem: 5e pets aren't so useful as to seem essential in combat, and he has substantially less HP than the rest of the party, so Laura refuses to put him in any actual danger for like half the campaign for fear of losing him. It gets to the point that Matt has to give him a couple of permanent buffs and a custom magic item before she STARTS to try using him in combat, and even then his biggest use is to give Vax the chance to get Sneak Attack on things.

Fun fact: Rangers in 5e are such dogshit, Wizards has put out not one, but two new versions of the class.

They're still hot garbage.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Sion posted:

Fun fact: Rangers in 5e are such dogshit, Wizards has put out not one, but two new versions of the class.

They're still hot garbage.

It's not even really rangers as a whole as it is specifically beastmasters. Hunter rangers in particular seem basically fine. Beastmaster has to tread a fine line of how to balance essentially having an extra warm body to catch arrows for you and help you fight without it becoming wildly overpowered and I kind of prefer it be on the weaker side if they can't achieve perfect balance.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

DeathSandwich posted:

It's not even really rangers as a whole as it is specifically beastmasters. Hunter rangers in particular seem basically fine. Beastmaster has to tread a fine line of how to balance essentially having an extra warm body to catch arrows for you and help you fight without it becoming wildly overpowered and I kind of prefer it be on the weaker side if they can't achieve perfect balance.

The problem with PHB rangers, even Hunters, is that they fail to find a niche for themselves that another class cannot easily be built to perform better while still maintaining its core appeal. A rogue can easily become a better tracker and wilderness survivalist through Expertise while out-damaging it with Sneak Attack and gaining greater utility through Arcane Trickster, and these bonuses are not locked to a single enemy type or terrain. The Wolf Totem also lets Barbarians step into tracking and travel bonuses with better damage.

Ranger took over Bard's position from previous editions as the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none," except it isn't even really the former. The UA revision at least grants it the benefit of being the guy who will usually go first thanks to initiative advantage, which is a pretty strong feature, but it's still better as a level-or-two dip than a class you fully invest in.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
God I love Sam's ads. :allears:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Keru posted:

God I love Sam's ads. :allears:

And Ash's reading of the ad copy should basically show anyone doubting her that Yasha's flat affect is a character choice, not Ashley being bored at the table.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Holy poo poo if they reach $50k in donations to 826LA, Marisha's going to run a second Honey Heist game. If you haven't watched the first one, please do yourself a favor. It's loving hilarious.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Holy poo poo if they reach $50k in donations to 826LA, Marisha's going to run a second Honey Heist game. If you haven't watched the first one, please do yourself a favor. It's loving hilarious.

Given that the last time they added something like that to a charity drive, it was because Marisha wanted to GM a game on stream anyway (she ran a couple of sessions of Weave on Alpha), I think that's gonna happen for def.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

CuwiKhons posted:

"I dunno man I just- spend so long in that necklace" :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

DeathSandwich posted:

I did like the sudden shock when they realized Clarota was going to turn on them the hot second he was rejoined to the conclave. The heel turn and subsequent flight from the underdark was probably some of the best D&D I've ever witnessed when it became a sudden madcap dash to get away while also dragging around a halfling statue and an ancient unknowable artifact of terrifying power.

Now that I've got an idea of what I'm getting into (and now that I'm at a good break point in the first season) I may start in on season 2 and try and catch up.

The "shock" of trusting an evil brain eating creature over a halfling paladin. That's the exact episode I'm on, and i'm hooked. Liam plays the hell out of rogue. Only bad part about S1 is Travis being hamstrung by 6 INT. He has to make his best suggestions out of character, and they tend to be pretty good. He also plays "dumb" in a "smart" way, if that makes sense. There's a wrong way to do the anger problem character that can really slow down the game, imo.