Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I reeeeally want to start Attila up again but is there anyway to get rid of the dark purple\brown filter that makes everything look like poo poo? Anything in the steam workshop of a mod anyone can link me too? Im just really upset that I cant have a nice, clean look to everything and it just sucks as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

I'd be okay with Attila looking brown if it weren't for the insane choppiness of the engine.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Every year I get a keen urge to try and get into Attila. So many good factions!! Significant campaig layer!
Then I get disappointed again so I'm not gonna do it this time!

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I thought Atilla was an improvement over Rome 2. Personally I couldn't get into it cos my favourite faction is always Rome and Rome in Atilla is an utter ball ache. But I recognised that it was still a better game than Rome 2, subjective obviously but I thought that was the general opinion too. Shame that there's no DEI equivalent for it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Deketh posted:

I thought Atilla was an improvement over Rome 2. Personally I couldn't get into it cos my favourite faction is always Rome and Rome in Atilla is an utter ball ache. But I recognised that it was still a better game than Rome 2, subjective obviously but I thought that was the general opinion too. Shame that there's no DEI equivalent for it.

I can see why people think that, certainly since Rome 2 just didn't work at launch. I think stability counts for a lot though and vanilla Rome 2 runs much better than vanilla Attila nowadays. Also personally though I like the idea of the campaign it just never worked for me, the CAI just doesn't do anything.
I actually only really enjoyed it when playing as Rome though since it has sorta the opposite arc to a normal TW campaign.

Yeah shame about the lack of mods, there's ancient empires coming out but I dont really understand why... It seems to be a remake of DeI and it's time period in Attila's straining engine. Theyr putting in a huge amount of effort but people have been asking them "will this actually be an improvement over modding Rome 2?" and their answer was "hopefully" lol

A proper overhaul of the Attila factions and time period would be extremely my poo poo.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

Yeah shame about the lack of mods, there's ancient empires coming out but I dont really understand why... It seems to be a remake of DeI and it's time period in Attila's straining engine. Theyr putting in a huge amount of effort but people have been asking them "will this actually be an improvement over modding Rome 2?" and their answer was "hopefully" lol

A proper overhaul of the Attila factions and time period would be extremely my poo poo.

That's pretty interesting, I can see it being a wreck but I'd love it to work out.

Seconding you on the overhaul of Atilla, I'd be all over that. I dig the grimey, everything is terrible vibe of that era. I'm hoping Thrones will scratch my dark agey itch instead though, even though its obviously set quite a bit later and much more limited in locations and factions. Not super hyped mind, given the feedback from Fangz on the last page was "it's alright".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I preordered thrones but don't expect it to be that good (I'm deranged). But with TW games regardless of the base game there's an additional 50% chance it will be modded into something amazing within a few years of release. I'm hoping enough people like Vikings to do so. Unit names in butchered Old English and Gaelic and 50 minute battles a must!!!

If turn times are snappy I'll get some enjoyment out of it at least, I just really hope they aren't just bullshittin about updating the engine.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm honestly curious how well Thrones is going to sell, reaction to it everywhere I've looked seems muted at best.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

I preordered thrones but don't expect it to be that good (I'm deranged). But with TW games regardless of the base game there's an additional 50% chance it will be modded into something amazing within a few years of release. I'm hoping enough people like Vikings to do so. Unit names in butchered Old English and Gaelic and 50 minute battles a must!!!

If turn times are snappy I'll get some enjoyment out of it at least, I just really hope they aren't just bullshittin about updating the engine.

I do the same thing. It would make sense to not buy it at release like I always do and wait for a sale, by which time; mods! Of course I'll buy it at release though. I like some of the new stuff I've seen in Thrones, like how you raise armies. This was what I was expecting in Rome 2, I could do without the goofy army names though.

madmac posted:

I'm honestly curious how well Thrones is going to sell, reaction to it everywhere I've looked seems muted at best.

I know, I find it a bit strange cos it looks pretty good to me. But hands on feedback is yeah, muted.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I like that Thrones is trying new stuff in terms of characters, province management and victory conditions. Battles probably won't go far from what we had in Attila, except with a greater infantry focus. Still, the setting just leaves me cold, and that was enough to keep me from Shogun 2 despite all the praise it got, so I'll probably skip it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Time has kinda dampened my enthusiasm for ToB, TBH, though my financial situation doesn't help. I still think a lot of the strategic level changes are very good though, and I hope they find their way into future games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just remember that Three Kingdoms is also on its way and that poo poo looks to be crazy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Seems like some of the big Thrones changes might be test drives for 3k.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCfqibg0fbY

british historical accuracy wanker

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Deketh posted:

I do the same thing. It would make sense to not buy it at release like I always do and wait for a sale, by which time; mods! Of course I'll buy it at release though. I like some of the new stuff I've seen in Thrones, like how you raise armies. This was what I was expecting in Rome 2, I could do without the goofy army names though.

I know, I find it a bit strange cos it looks pretty good to me. But hands on feedback is yeah, muted.

Well the campaign map kinda looks ugly as gently caress, so do the unit cards imo. Generally it already shows its age, I just hope the upgrade to 64bit (if true) is enough to make the engine work as well or close to as well as TWH1 and the combat isn't dull. The shield walls seem like they might make things a bit more DeI-like, instead of phalanxes. I like in DeI that there are units you can count on to hold the line and withstand damage, in TWH every unit no matter how elite takes horrendous casualties very quickly and everything is kinda a mosh pit.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
:confused: the campaign map looks great

kinda agreed on the unit cards though. I expect they'll grow on me after actually playing it though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DiHK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCfqibg0fbY

british historical accuracy wanker

Lovely, a discussion of "dark ages" in the youtube comments.

I can't stand those kinds of people. There should be a difference in their mind between "12TH CENTURY HELMET SPOTTED IN GAME SUPPOSEDLY SET IN 1060, IMMERSION RUINED" and something like "Gone With The Wind's portrayal of the institution of slavery is harmful to the memory of the people who suffered under it."

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

canyoneer posted:

Lovely, a discussion of "dark ages" in the youtube comments.

I can't stand those kinds of people. There should be a difference in their mind between "12TH CENTURY HELMET SPOTTED IN GAME SUPPOSEDLY SET IN 1060, IMMERSION RUINED" and something like "Gone With The Wind's portrayal of the institution of slavery is harmful to the memory of the people who suffered under it."

the desert kingdoms dlc for Rome 2 drove these people insane, theres like 2000 years out of date imaginary numidian chariots and stuff

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I'd love for a historical total war to include a warhammer easter egg unit or some poo poo and see/read some of those people going mad with fury.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every so often the Green Knight appears or a dragon soars across the battlefield.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

rumors of a skaven hive under londinium

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

"People have been vanishing from one of your cities. The only clue is a mysterious triangular symbol....."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lindybeige is at his best when he's going whole hog on his personal craft projects or talking about books he's read. The guy is dedicated, no question. But when he's harping on historical accuracy and authenticity he can ramble on forever like a less forgiving Nick Hodges.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

speaking of hisorical accuracy, TWC is surprisingly good about women in war now. it seems like lagertha in vikings did a lot for people liking that stuff. All the crazies have moved to steam discussions and comments

although i did see one person on TWC making a huge thread about how "Cleopatra was white!!!"

e: I think the argument hinged on modern greeks aren't very white, but ancient greeks were white. the reason he gave for modern greeks being not white is that the evil muslamic turks raped all their women rather than like... them being ethnically slavic since the 500s essentially

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And their reasoning for ancient Greeks being white is based on what? Roman marble sculpture being white stone so ergo the Greeks must be white as well? (Even though they were smart enough to use bronze for sculpture instead)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
wait you buried the lede - modern Greeks aren’t white according to twc?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're, uh, Mediterranean brown, I guess. That's not a bad thing, though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

And their reasoning for ancient Greeks being white is based on what? Roman marble sculpture being white stone so ergo the Greeks must be white as well? (Even though they were smart enough to use bronze for sculpture instead)

pretty much yeah, though actually mosiacs and stuff lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Honestly a lot of people all around the mediterranean are in this weird category where their whiteness or lack thereof is 100% cultural. Italians have long since become Honorary Whites, Greeks are still iffy (whites definitely inherited the ancient greeks' cultural legacy though, not those bankrupt lazy assholes in Greece), arabs are definitely not white because they dress funny and worship MOON GODS.

Whiteness is bullshit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly a lot of people all around the mediterranean are in this weird category where their whiteness or lack thereof is 100% cultural. Italians have long since become Honorary Whites, Greeks are still iffy (whites definitely inherited the ancient greeks' cultural legacy though, not those bankrupt lazy assholes in Greece), arabs are definitely not white because they dress funny and worship MOON GODS.

Whiteness is bullshit.

It's a sliding scale in the US. The Irish got inducted into the club so long ago that people forget they weren't always in it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

pretty much yeah, though actually mosiacs and stuff lol

Well, also descriptions and poo poo, a thing to note is that as far as I can tell Romans and Greeks never really remarked upon say North Africans, Near Easterners or Persians looking any different from them (though Ancient Greeks do remark upon the Persians being pale at times), but they definitely thought that Gauls and (especially) Germanics looked very different.
All told, most ancient peoples probably looked pretty much like the modern populations, though I would guess there is more variation in the modern genepool and therefore a wider range of appearances in the modern case.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Seems like some of the big Thrones changes might be test drives for 3k.

Isn't 3k coming out later this year? Seems too late to still be testing changes.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh man if there is a way to mod in Warhams units into this game I would be all over that

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

lmao

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

:allears: loving glorious

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

Isn't 3k coming out later this year? Seems too late to still be testing changes.

Yeah they're separate teams and probably won't influence each other much.

Also apparently units have food upkeep? Unless food from farms is increased a lot removing that sounds like it'll be one of the most popular workshop mods

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ragingsheep posted:

poo poo I thought it was next year. That makes me question whether I'll buy ToB, but I do like the period and smaller-focus total war games are usually more fun.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
MaTN has an hour long LP of Thrones of Britannia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io4ArXZet4o

So it turns out there are no more recruitment buildings: if you have unlocked a unit on the tech-tree, you can train it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
That’s fine in my books. Especially since they’ve introduced the “not fully manned at the beginning” mechanic. Probably evens things out.