Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah it's fine as long as you have a nickname everyone automatically supersedes your name with.

Bonus points if everyone has a unique nickname for the protag.

XIV in a nutshell:

quote:

Will you help us, Warrior of Light?

(nod)

QUEST ACCEPTED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

rujasu posted:

XIV in a nutshell:

*shrug*

*O face*

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

In addition to what everyone else said they turned it into a 3v3 game without much consideration or mechanical finesse so its a bad game all around.

The 3v3 game aspect is the best part of it, and it's what allows it to be a good and engaging fighting game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fc5b2u-iFk&t=338s

Dissidia is the newest in the line of games that make people extremely upset because it isn't the ~right kind of game~, joining Persona 4 Arena and Dragonball FighterZ.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Mn4WASPvc

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

EmmyOk posted:

It took them two voiced games to realise that allowing you to rename the main character was a crime for dialogue.

FFX and?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Should've spammed Limit Breaks

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tae posted:

Kingdom Hearts Cloud is Vincent, but he's not as popular so they just put a Cloud skin.

I always thought that maybe Vincent was nixed not because of popularity (because remember, Yuffie and Selphie are in the KH1 cast) and more because of GUN, which is a bit of a tetchy thing to toss in a character around if you're making a game with the likes of Winnie the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland and Aladdin. KH2 has some Gun, comparatively, but I don't think it's much; Xigbar wields crazy fantasy-guns, and I believe some muskets are in Port Royal.

Either way, I always figured Cloud was intended to be in the game anyway, in the place of Leon. Then when Vincent didn't pan out, they shuffled Cloud over into his place and tossed Squall/Leon in to sub for Cloud, but didn't change much of the script for either, causing both of them to be depicted pretty out of character!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

rujasu posted:

XIV in a nutshell:

No this is XIV in a nutshell:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think I'm going to get the piggyback guide and try XIII again after XII. I know all this stuff is online now but I really liked those guides as a kid when I was growing up and would constantly read them and play the games endlessly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Is the Warrior of Light a MILITANT ATHEIST?!

*game theory clickbait thumbnail here*

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr Pepper posted:

This seems to suggest that there's a FF game in which you don't need to kill god in the end. What a ridiculous idea.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bloom posted:

This seems to suggest that there's a FF game in which you don't need to kill god in the end. What a ridiculous idea.

In Soviet FF15, god kills YOU!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leal posted:

Is the Warrior of Light a MILITANT ATHEIST?!

*game theory clickbait thumbnail here*

No, you definitely need to believe in gods to be able to kill that many of them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's only an FF if you kill God with the power of friendship

I like the job system in ZA but I think they should have put some more info screens in because it means you have to google it to find out who would suit what and what each board is actually like beyond a one sentence description. You can have any character become any job you like which is nice but each job fits best with certain stats and the characters have stat variation. IMO at least having "This Job suits XYZ stats, ABC characters will have high levels in XYZ"

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

isn't there a button to preview the license boards for each job?

E: there is, just press square on the job screen.

anyone can do any job, the stat differences don't really matter except for min/maxing.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

EmmyOk posted:

I like the job system in ZA but I think they should have put some more info screens in because it means you have to google it to find out who would suit what and what each board is actually like beyond a one sentence description. You can have any character become any job you like which is nice but each job fits best with certain stats and the characters have stat variation. IMO at least having "This Job suits XYZ stats, ABC characters will have high levels in XYZ"

Like Attitude Indicator mentioned, the differences in stats are largely irrelevant. They're maybe worthy of consideration very early on, when a difference of a few points might mean the difference between ~80 damage and ~150, but within less than a few hours of making that choice stats will have increased enough that you're looking at that same numeric difference in scenarios where attacks deal closer to 500-600. Once a character gets rolling, they'll perform just fine regardless of the job/s you choose for them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EmmyOk posted:

You can beat the whole game with six white mages just give everyone whatever job you like

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

No, you definitely need to believe in gods to be able to kill that many of them.

Warrior of Light: I don't hold with paddlin' with the Occult. Once you start paddlin' with the Occult you start believing in Spirits, and when you start believing in Spirits you start believing in Demons, and then before you know where you are you're believing in gods. And then you're in trouble.
Alphinaud: But all them things exist.
Warrior of Light: That's no call to go around believing in them. It only encourages 'em.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
^Discworld reference in 2018? Get with the times old man.

Sakurazuka posted:

You can beat the whole game with six white mages just give everyone whatever job you like

Six white mages? It'll never work...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

If a lady wanting to grow up to be Nanny Ogg isn't cool anymore I don't wanna be cool.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gologle posted:

Six white mages? It'll never work...

he says, as he makes an 8-bit theater reference

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Has Ultima been a good spell to cast in any game other than VI, actually? In II you have to grind it up, and in X you're probably better off using Flare.

Ultima is top tier in X-2. Lady Luck naturally gets access to it, and Black Mage can chain cast it for no charge time, literally casting it over and over again until enemies die before they can get a single turn in.

It's also pro choice for using during Time Trip for the cool inverted color effects.

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 26, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EmmyOk posted:

Character stat variation is miniscule compared to what the classes give. Only for minmaxers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In Soviet FF15, god kills YOU!

What they’ve been saying about the upcoming extra ending implies we’ve got some god-murderin’ coming up, though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Guys I did it! IV is done and gone. Zeromus is no more. It was a harrowing battle but all the work I did getting bahamut and getting through the final dungeon put me way above the level I needed. I'm starting V tomorrow and will hopefully have it done before the end of May.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
FF 13 chat got me to grab the steam version so now I guess im playing this again for like the 4th time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXII job system is basically a throwback to the original FFI since you had to choose a party and stick with it.

Btw I finally started fighting Yiazmat. Im pretty sure his health doesnt reset if I exit the arena, auto save and reload it later?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

WaltherFeng posted:

FFXII job system is basically a throwback to the original FFI since you had to choose a party and stick with it.

Btw I finally started fighting Yiazmat. Im pretty sure his health doesnt reset if I exit the arena, auto save and reload it later?

Correct. If you hang out in the arena with him where he can't target you, he'll start casting buffs on himself like regen, which will basically heal him back up to full. But if you just disengage from fighting him and leave the arena, you can save and come back later and still keep your progress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hope you don't have a Renew gambit :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Managed to get around 4-5 bars off him. At this rate I'll be done next week or so.

Cant wait to make a 3rd trip to Great Crystal for Omega

FFXII is a (fun?) game when you dont feel like playing anything too intense

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BrightWing posted:

FF 13 chat got me to grab the steam version so now I guess im playing this again for like the 4th time.

Hell yeah.

I really want a remaster.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Managed to get around 4-5 bars off him. At this rate I'll be done next week or so.

Cant wait to make a 3rd trip to Great Crystal for Omega

FFXII is a (fun?) game when you dont feel like playing anything too intense

If it helps, I think the only thing Omega gets you is..bestiary completion. And one of the three trinkets to make a sword or whatever that you won't have anything left to kill with. Poor bastard doesn't even get a trophy/den sprite.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

Hell yeah.

I really want a remaster.

What it needs is a significant story rewrite or a 2 hour long podcast where Richard Attenborough (or David, whichever ones still alive) read the datalogs

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Kingtheninja posted:

Guys I did it! IV is done and gone. Zeromus is no more. It was a harrowing battle but all the work I did getting bahamut and getting through the final dungeon put me way above the level I needed. I'm starting V tomorrow and will hopefully have it done before the end of May.

Congrats on knockin' another out, keep it rollin! :hfive:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked Bartz in Dissidia so I hope his game is good whenever I play it. I started it once for a few minutes and thought it was funny when he was asked to save the world and just said nah

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

If it helps, I think the only thing Omega gets you is..bestiary completion. And one of the three trinkets to make a sword or whatever that you won't have anything left to kill with. Poor bastard doesn't even get a trophy/den sprite.

Well actually theres still the whole Trial Mode so theres still some stuff left for endgame characters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Well actually theres still the whole Trial Mode so theres still some stuff left for endgame characters

Yeah but you can steal Wyrmhero blade at like, floor 50 anyway

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any good job tips for V? Like any abilities I should go after right away etc.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kingtheninja posted:

Any good job tips for V? Like any abilities I should go after right away etc.

I forget which boss it is, but one has a blue mage spell Death Claw which is pretty OP, if I'm remembering correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Iron Claw, just after the third crystal, yeah. Immediately after that you can get the significantly more important Level 5 Death.