Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sveta does have that thing where a bunch of the other Case 53s and former Irregulars hate her for siding with Weld and refusing to revenge murder Cauldron.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
also they are focused on the fallen they organized this entire thing to gently caress up the fallen not just rain

and the entire last interlude was about how snag lost his only link to his pre end of the world family and had his brain broken in a way that only death could help

jsoh fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 24, 2018

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Sveta does have that thing where a bunch of the other Case 53s and former Irregulars hate her for siding with Weld and refusing to revenge murder Cauldron.

Sveta also has that thing where her body is only partially under her control and its auto-pilot setting is permanently set to mass murder.

Sveta needs to be in a good position because not being in a good position means either complete isolation or murdersquid violence. Which, I need to stress. Sveta herself does not enjoy. She's a PTSD survivor and triggering her is going to set her off all over again. And make the trauma worse.

Note she's currently quite agitated and not actually contained in either her hamsterbal or "body". Pretty sure the only reason she isn't currently trying to rip someone apart is a lot of self discipline and a massive heap of concern for Rain.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
I think Sveta's mystery is likely related to the body she has been using this entire time and where/who it came from. I think we got a vague explanation from either her or Weld early on but I could see her owing favors or a debt to the person or group who built it since it basically solves her issue of unexpectedly murdering everyone around her even if she is in a bad state, almost entirely

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Speaking of case 53s, there was something I was never clear on- in Worm there was a throwaway scene somewhere that showed Alexandria grabbing a dude from a disaster in an alternate dimension and throwing him into the cauldron hole. Was that supposed to be Weld/someone else we know, or was it just some generic goober whose only utility was to show us how cauldron was operating?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of case 53s, there was something I was never clear on- in Worm there was a throwaway scene somewhere that showed Alexandria grabbing a dude from a disaster in an alternate dimension and throwing him into the cauldron hole. Was that supposed to be Weld/someone else we know, or was it just some generic goober whose only utility was to show us how cauldron was operating?

Nothing in-story to indicate who it is specifically, I think, but there's an Easter egg in the tags indicating that it was Newter. For narrative purposes, it's just an arbitrary Case 53 guy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ward 6.4: I liked this chapter a lot. Lots of Victoria and Ashley bits, Kenzie being great, funny oneliners everywhere, Rain likely gonna be the impetus for Amy and Victoria having to interact in the future, lotsa good poo poo.

TWI 4.30: The fight in the beginning was brutal as gently caress, everything was really tense and dramatic, Ivolethe's sacrifice at the end fuckin killed me. I'm gonna miss her, she was easily one of my favorite characters. :(

TWI 4.31 (patreon chapter) : Immortal characters are fun and sad. I'm glad Ryoka seems to be getting out of dodge, maybe she'll go chill out with Lakan for a while, or Magnolia. I like her a lot better in that context than when she and Erin are loving things up.

TGaB: I like this new arc a lot, especially since it's limited to Trissiny's perspective so far. It feels a lot more like the early chapters than the more recent stuff in a lot of ways, most of it good, and it's fun seeing how much Trissiny has grown as a character since she was in a similar context. Anyone who dropped the story in the last arc or two, I recommend trying to pick it back up at this point because the author seems to be in top form.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ward 6.4: Rain isn't going to live long enough for Amy to heal unless Amy is already real close by, and even then, they would need to get Rain to Amy pronto, which isn't going to happen unless someone obliterates Cradle and his friend. Rain's only real hope here is that Victoria, Wretch up, hits Cradle like the fist of god and Tatteltail or the Wardens brought Amy.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NecroMonster posted:

Ward 6.4: Rain isn't going to live long enough for Amy to heal unless Amy is already real close by, and even then, they would need to get Rain to Amy pronto, which isn't going to happen unless someone obliterates Cradle and his friend. Rain's only real hope here is that Victoria, Wretch up, hits Cradle like the fist of god and Tatteltail or the Wardens brought Amy.

Well, there is that Fallen cape nearby who blends humans and animals together. When his power was described, it really sounded like a nerfed version of Amy's power to me. Rain could wind up getting his missing bits swapped out for, like, a dog's or something.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

21 Muns posted:

Rain could wind up getting his missing bits swapped out for, like, a dog's or something.

This development would also ensure that even Rain-haters must admit he is no longer a selfish rear end in a top hat, but rather a good boy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ytlaya posted:

I'm assuming that the reason Cradle/Snag want to kill him so much is largely due to Kiss/Kill weirdness, since Love Lost is the only one who has a particularly good reason to be so set on killing the guy (from what we've seen, the other two didn't lose people really close to them. While what Rain did is super terrible, it's also not super difficult to sympathize with given his circumstances, particular given he was a teenager (and they aren't as focused on the other Fallen who actually started the fire and poo poo).

While I think there is some kiss/kill, I think the much larger driver of their desire to kill him is based on the fact that every single night they get to relive their trigger event from a different angle and see him as the rear end in a top hat teenager he was at that point. I don't think you've gotten through the full vision rotation yet, but even without specifics just that repeated forced viewing would be enough to really twist a person.

The problematic element hasn't been exposed yet but it is great grounds for speculation and paranoia.

ward 6.4

There is a 0% that the wardens brought Amy. Imagining her being Valefor'd is goddamn terrifying. Tattletale is here to allow the cluster to kill Rain, why would she have brought Amy?

The person-animal blender is in the area but not at the scene. Some of his hybrid things are at the scene though.

This chapter is great though.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

ZypherIM posted:

The person-animal blender is in the area but not at the scene. Some of his hybrid things are at the scene though.

This chapter is great though.

Do we know who the guy with the cleaver is?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Cryophage posted:

Do we know who the guy with the cleaver is?

Nope, I guess he could be the person in question but nothing is for sure.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Cleaver guy is probably the unseen person that the cluster hired, the one that Kenzie wasn't able to get video on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

violent sex idiot posted:

also they are focused on the fallen they organized this entire thing to gently caress up the fallen not just rain

and the entire last interlude was about how snag lost his only link to his pre end of the world family and had his brain broken in a way that only death could help

They're definitely mostly focused on Rain; he's the one they want to specifically torture to death, and it's hard to tell whether the rest of the Fallen are just also targeted due to Rain using them as protection (not that they'd be against killing them anyways, but it's not clear if they'd make them a target if Rain weren't staying with them).

Regarding Snag, I'm not caught up yet (Rain just went to March at the point I'm at) so I don't know Snag's full deal; I just read the earlier interlude where he tries to save some girl during the mall dream. To be honest, when Rain's involvement was revealed during his dream, I was actually expecting something worse. Like, what Rain did was super bad and still essentially killed those people, but I think there's a difference between murder from deliberate inaction and Rain personally stabbing a child or whatever (not to mention a murder-happy parahuman told him to guard the door at all costs).

Anyways, as mentioned I generally like Rain and he seems like about as good as a person could be given his experiences. I really can't comprehend how someone could come away with an impression that he's particularly selfish.

ZypherIM posted:

While I think there is some kiss/kill, I think the much larger driver of their desire to kill him is based on the fact that every single night they get to relive their trigger event from a different angle and see him as the rear end in a top hat teenager he was at that point. I don't think you've gotten through the full vision rotation yet, but even without specifics just that repeated forced viewing would be enough to really twist a person.

It kind of goes both ways, though; being forced to directly confront the person who did that and realize they're no longer a monster and regret what they did would likely have an even bigger effect, particularly since Rain apparently has trouble keeping his composure after his nights now and likely lost his poo poo during a lot of the earlier ones after he changed for the better. I think most people would have trouble with being willing to torture-kill someone who is now openly incredibly remorseful, much less someone who was part of cult during their childhood. The only person with an extenuating circumstance (that I'm currently aware of, mind) is Love Lost, since there's no real accounting for the effect of someone losing their child like that.

Uldor posted:

I think Sveta's mystery is likely related to the body she has been using this entire time and where/who it came from. I think we got a vague explanation from either her or Weld early on but I could see her owing favors or a debt to the person or group who built it since it basically solves her issue of unexpectedly murdering everyone around her even if she is in a bad state, almost entirely

To be honest, I'm kind of wondering how the gently caress this non-tinker-built prosthetic body is able to contain Sveta's body, given her tentacles are strong enough to bend steel and poo poo*. I guess it's possible that their strength mostly manifests when they're wrapped around something, and they can't apply the sort of outward force necessary to get out of the suit (though I imagine the smallest stress would still cause them to break whatever internal components they're using to control the suit).

Question about the suit - when Sveta uses it like a grappling hook, is it basically the sort of thing where her tentacle itself would be visible between her hand and her suit's arm? And does this mean that she doesn't have to just launch it in straight lines and can control its trajectory after being fired (which would explain how she can be accurate enough to hit people like Prancer)? I'm a little confused on how she can have that sort of freedom without still wrapping it around people, since just having a prosthetic hand at the tip of the tentacle wouldn't prevent it from wrapping around someone.

* On this note, someone with Sveta's power "normally" (as we briefly saw with Spright when he borrowed her powers) would be extremely strong, given how incredibly fast those tentacles can apparently extend and how strong they are.

vvv Maybe, though she obviously still completely needs the suit. The main thing that sorta stands out as weird to me is that, when Sveta is hit by Love Lost's scream, her tentacles start going crazy whacking the inside of her suit. Why doesn't this also happen to a more limited extent during other stressors that would normally send her into murder-mode?

You know, one particularly strong piece of evidence towards the Sveta/Teacher idea is the fact that her prosthetic suit is really high tech but not tinker tech. Which is, coincidentally, exactly how Teacher's "students" are described; when he gives tinker-esque powers, it basically just pushes them to the limits of what a normal expert in that area could achieve.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 25, 2018

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I'm betting Sveta got a control upgrade from Teacher.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

NecroMonster posted:

Oh god, that's horrifying even if her life is miserable without increased control.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

Personally I doubt this. I'm not in the mood to dig around in Worm and try to figure out what all she knows about Teacher, but even just "ex-bird cage villain doing stuff with your brain" and "I'm for sure not going to be able to do anything but what I claim I can" would set off like every one of her triggers. Weld probably has more info on Teacher as well if she was considering an offer from him, and I doubt anything he'd get from the Wardens would put a positive light on teacher

Even in Worm she was at the point of directing her murder impulse at a single target, and if that target wasn't doctor mother she might have been able to take the "no murder" option. Throw on a few more years of therapy and positive relationships and this amount of control doesn't seem power given.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

Personally I doubt this. I'm not in the mood to dig around in Worm and try to figure out what all she knows about Teacher, but even just "ex-bird cage villain doing stuff with your brain" and "I'm for sure not going to be able to do anything but what I claim I can" would set off like every one of her triggers. Weld probably has more info on Teacher as well if she was considering an offer from him, and I doubt anything he'd get from the Wardens would put a positive light on teacher

Even in Worm she was at the point of directing her murder impulse at a single target, and if that target wasn't doctor mother she might have been able to take the "no murder" option. Throw on a few more years of therapy and positive relationships and this amount of control doesn't seem power given.

Imagine that you don't have a life of your own. Imagine that you couldn't have a real life.

What price would you be willing to pay?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

NecroMonster posted:

Imagine that you don't have a life of your own. Imagine that you couldn't have a real life.

Well, I think the big thing is having a suit that can contain her involuntary spasms. One of her biggest triggers for the involuntary constriction is feeling like she's hurting someone, so if she wears the suit literally everywhere but her private residence where the only other person around is her invulnerable boyfriend that solves a lot of that. Obviously she can slip tendrils out from her suit to grasp things, but slipping them out of the suit is a voluntary action, since when she's spasming her tendrils aren't 'smart' enough to do that on their own.

I think the idea of her tendrils having much greater force constricting than they do otherwise is probably spot-on, but even then her suit needs to be made of some pretty serious stuff. My guess is that Weld used his position as a leader of the Wardens to get the resources for that. Sveta hates the idea of hurting other people because for so long she couldn't avoid it, I seriously doubt she'd put herself into a debt with someone that is likely to call in the favor by having her hurt someone. Even when she's desperate I feel like she'd be more likely to turn that inward and self-harm than put herself in THAT situation.

EDIT: Like it's not that she's stopped having involuntary spasms, it's that she's got an assistive device that prevents those spasms from hurting other people as long as someone else doesn't crack it open or she doesn't try to use her tendrils on people.

EDIT EDIT: speaking of sveta when she was called a mass murderer by someone in glow-worm I was surprised by how mad I got. She's a killer but she wasn't a murderer at all... at least until Doctor Mother, I suppose. Murder requires intent.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 25, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

This would be a strong argument if teacher walked into the asylum. Instead, it would have had to have happened between gold morning and now, so for example she already has Weld. She can keep herself from mauling everyone and instead just focus on one thing.

Her situation isn't nearly as hopeless as you're painting here, instead things have been looking up and she survived the end of the world with her boyfriend (or hopeful boyfriend at that point). Why would she be resorting to a deal with a villain instead of working with Weld and the heroes that go on to form the Wardens instead?

Also like Petra said, her control isn't exactly out of line with what it was before, she just has a suit to be the target of "MURDER MURDER MURDER" auto-impulses.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And not every member of the team needs to be hiding some massive secret. The story so far isn't really lacking for conflict and potential sources of self-sabotage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PetraCore posted:

Well, I think the big thing is having a suit that can contain her involuntary spasms. One of her biggest triggers for the involuntary constriction is feeling like she's hurting someone, so if she wears the suit literally everywhere but her private residence where the only other person around is her invulnerable boyfriend that solves a lot of that. Obviously she can slip tendrils out from her suit to grasp things, but slipping them out of the suit is a voluntary action, since when she's spasming her tendrils aren't 'smart' enough to do that on their own.

As mentioned in the last post, I would actually consider the suit greater evidence of Teacher involvement than anything else, since it fits the capabilities of Teacher's tinker-esque students very well; it's something that would be extremely difficult/complex to make (particularly after the end of the world) but not outside the realm of what normal non-tinkers could achieve.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ytlaya posted:

As mentioned in the last post, I would actually consider the suit greater evidence of Teacher involvement than anything else, since it fits the capabilities of Teacher's tinker-esque students very well; it's something that would be extremely difficult/complex to make (particularly after the end of the world) but not outside the realm of what normal non-tinkers could achieve.

Is it not just essentially a mannequin with the appendages and body drilled out and eye bolts sunk into the insides? Seems pretty simple to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think you're reading way too hard into this.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

builds character posted:

Is it not just essentially a mannequin with the appendages and body drilled out and eye bolts sunk into the insides? Seems pretty simple to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I reckon the joints are a lot more complicated than that because they need grips and latches to turn them from joint to projectile weapon, and the hands work a lot better than that. I'm glad to pretend Teacher doesn't exist though.

To clarify though, I don't think this is Teacher, just a good prosthetic body

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Jade Mage posted:

I reckon the joints are a lot more complicated than that because they need grips and latches to turn them from joint to projectile weapon, and the hands work a lot better than that. I'm glad to pretend Teacher doesn't exist though.

To clarify though, I don't think this is Teacher, just a good prosthetic body
Yeah, it's an extremely high-end prosthetic, but I don't think there's a dark secret there.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Prac Guide continues to be good. “Always assume I know,” indeed.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Double post, but I’m jonesing. I need some more web series to read. I’m on PracGuide, Ward, TGAB, TWI, Taint, MoL, and Worth the Candle. I finished all the rest of Wildbow, And Threadbare and I’m working on Ra.

Anything else good? I like/d all of those except, honestly not super crazy about Taint and MoL I think because I never got into anime, and I think they are heavily influenced. That’s just a guess.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
The only thing I'm reading that's not on that list is Savage Divinity. It has a strong start but gets later gets bogged down in the slice of life sections. It also has some anime/wuxia influence so it may not be for you.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh, so maybe I'm late to the party on this one but I only just (kinda, sorta, probably) got clued in on how Parian's power was supposed to be used(apparently her TK works on dead muscle fibers, allowing her to raise a zombie army), and I wonder if she hadn't originally been thought up as a solution to Scion before Taylor was fleshed out as the main protagonist.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

navyjack posted:

Double post, but I’m jonesing. I need some more web series to read. I’m on PracGuide, Ward, TGAB, TWI, Taint, MoL, and Worth the Candle. I finished all the rest of Wildbow, And Threadbare and I’m working on Ra.

Anything else good? I like/d all of those except, honestly not super crazy about Taint and MoL I think because I never got into anime, and I think they are heavily influenced. That’s just a guess.

Shameless plug to the link in my avatar. There's very much no anime.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

navyjack posted:

Try The Daily Grind and Iron Teeth. Oh and I guess the Threadbear guy is working on a new story now, but I haven't tried it yet.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Advent was a nice little read but it's more a short story than a serial. Touch and New Humans show promise, too, and could be worth a look. The Hills of Tara might be good, too, but it's only just started and I haven't been able to sit down and really read it yet but the stuff I skimmed seems solid. There's Specimens if you want something pretty Worm-flavoured.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Huh, so maybe I'm late to the party on this one but I only just (kinda, sorta, probably) got clued in on how Parian's power was supposed to be used(apparently her TK works on dead muscle fibers, allowing her to raise a zombie army), and I wonder if she hadn't originally been thought up as a solution to Scion before Taylor was fleshed out as the main protagonist.

That's a really neat way to interpret her potential power. How would an army of (presumably unpowered) zombies stop Scion, though?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

That's a really neat way to interpret her potential power. How would an army of (presumably unpowered) zombies stop Scion, though?

Yeah, that's what I can't suss out. To be fair, there was never any claim that she could take Scion, it was always that she was using her power wrong all along, and that figuring out how the shard had intended her to use it would've let her solo Behemoth, but I still don't see how that'd be a threat to him. The main thing that struck me is that someone mass-controlling an army of humans is very Khepri-esque, to the point that I'd be amazed if he had ever intended both characters to have a similiar action setpiece. This is a bit of a stretch since her power is explicitly kinetic in nature, but maybe through some kind of technobabble she could stimulate nerves in addition to muscle fibers, thus letting her at least clumsily puppeteer cape powers? That sounds weak though, and immediately jumps from 'Huh, that could work' to the last n years of random, wild Parian conspiracy theories.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, that's what I can't suss out. To be fair, there was never any claim that she could take Scion, it was always that she was using her power wrong all along, and that figuring out how the shard had intended her to use it would've let her solo Behemoth, but I still don't see how that'd be a threat to him. The main thing that struck me is that someone mass-controlling an army of humans is very Khepri-esque, to the point that I'd be amazed if he had ever intended both characters to have a similiar action setpiece. This is a bit of a stretch since her power is explicitly kinetic in nature, but maybe through some kind of technobabble she could stimulate nerves in addition to muscle fibers, thus letting her at least clumsily puppeteer cape powers? That sounds weak though, and immediately jumps from 'Huh, that could work' to the last n years of random, wild Parian conspiracy theories.
Mmm... the one thing I can think of is dead bodies controlled by a much further away Parian don't have to worry about Behemoth's kill aura, but it's not exactly like he's fragile even with that aspect of his power countered.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, and that's what's so silly about going toe-to-toe with Endbringers in the first place- the mass and energy tied into their bodies is so absurdly huge that basically no linear exchange of damage will ever have a chance. Apparently in the earliest drafts Parian occupied a role much more similiar to March, in that she was the one aggressively pursuing Foil, who was reluctant to team up at first. Maybe the point was for her to use her infinite zombie factory to peel away enough of Behemoth's armor for Foil to do her arrow thing on the core? I still don't really like that though; the WoG that started years of mass-theorizing explicitly said that she could win the fight singlehanded, and unless I'm missing something, even millions of zombies working in perfect unison (which seems well beyond her ability to coordinate, since she can't gather any sensory data through her puppets) would need billions of years to peel away enough mass to expose the core.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, and that's what's so silly about going toe-to-toe with Endbringers in the first place- the mass and energy tied into their bodies is so absurdly huge that basically no linear exchange of damage will ever have a chance. Apparently in the earliest drafts Parian occupied a role much more similiar to March, in that she was the one aggressively pursuing Foil, who was reluctant to team up at first. Maybe the point was for her to use her infinite zombie factory to peel away enough of Behemoth's armor for Foil to do her arrow thing on the core? I still don't really like that though; the WoG that started years of mass-theorizing explicitly said that she could win the fight singlehanded, and unless I'm missing something, even millions of zombies working in perfect unison (which seems well beyond her ability to coordinate, since she can't gather any sensory data through her puppets) would need billions of years to peel away enough mass to expose the core.
All I can think of is her small-spaces-and-gaps application of her TK could get in between the layers of an Endbringer's body and literally shuck off the armor somehow, but that wouldn't be Behemoth specific in the first place and even if she could do that I don't know how she could damage the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Wildbow has said that Parian’s power is not zombie control of other capes.

Re “Parian’s One True Power would allow her to solo Behemoth”: this has also drifted from the original statement. It’s not that Parian would defeat Behemoth, just that she could get his attention/sufficiently harass him to get him to retreat, iirc. Parahumans can’t really “beat” endbringers. Conversely, the endbringers aren’t really trying to wipe out humanity—they easily could if they wanted to.