Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spergatory posted:

Choice is compelling to watch. Chance is not.
It really makes the whole "One bad choice can haunt you forever!!!" thing on Ghost Island really silly when yeah, so much of it is just about luck, from people only getting sent there from drawing rocks to the games not even being guaranteed.

It makes Ghost Island the least interesting part of its own series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

one thing that's really shocking is that a producer thought a player opening a parchment that says "Sorry, no game for you today" would be anything but boring and frustrating for players and viewers alike.

Don't forget the confessional right before that reminds us that Ghost Island is all about Reversing Curses, and, with the swap/this close to the merge/this soon after the merge, every vote is crucial, and I'm really hoping Ghost Island gives me an advantage so I can go deep in this game.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 24, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, remember when Exile Island had an idol hidden on it and you could choose to go for look for it?

They even had that version in Gabon where you could either hunt for the idol or get to sit in a shack and eat fruit.

Exile Island was a better Ghost Island than Ghost Island.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They could have just... you know, given something each time. Doesn't always have to be an idol or advantage. Give them fake idol kits or luxury food or disadvantages they can give away like the one given to Devon last season. Something other than a wet fart.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Give them all curses so it really fucks with people being sent there. You’re the only one who can eat for one night back at camp while everyone watches and hates your guts? Hell yea!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

prorbebee on surmimor??

where is everyone

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I'm here... haven't been able to live watch in ages.

Michael's story arc makes him impossible to dislike.

He's on the ropes but he just keeps on keeping on.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Facespace: Oops, we hosed up... please come back.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That add was hilariously tone deaf.

I like this iteration of the two-piece idol.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Will Dom do the right thing and save Michael?

Michael pretty much has to beast mode from here on out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kellyn's acting particularly bratty this week.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Propaganda Machine posted:

Kellyn's acting particularly bratty this week.

It feels like the edit is setting her up for a fall bit then again I think last time I said that nothing happened at tribal so I guess we'll see.

It sort of feels like Dom is gonna just hold the idol for himself.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol everybody going nuts right now this is great

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Kellyn getting a lil too passive aggressive here.

**sniff sniff** I smell a script flip.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
:10bux: says Michael goes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Robnoxious posted:

Kellyn getting a lil too passive aggressive here.

**sniff sniff** I smell a script flip.

This is more aggressive aggressive

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That Hellen Keller line was excellent

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

A Helen Keller joke.... niiiiiice.

Am I in grade school again?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Justice!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Wow, she drat near voted herself out as far as I'm concerned. Everything Des did this week was terrible. It's cute what a mastermind she looked like in her own head, though.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dez got her hand caught in the cookie jar.

The way she was trying to shut down TC was pretty palpable and the right person bounced as a result.

vvvvv Yep yep yep! When you get that defensive when your lies come back to roost that's a pretty obvious tell vvvvv

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 26, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"They could tell I was lyin?" :lol: come on Des a five year old would have known you were lying.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
If Desiree blew herself up to go after Domenick/Wendall I would understand, but Kellyn? A waste.

Double boot next episode came at the perfect timing.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Des was good and Laurel was a rat, actually. Even Donathan was onboard for Des's plan but Laurel made the executive decision to scurry over to the power and sell the player offering a lifeline out.

I know Laurel is in good with Dom and Wendell, but she can't beat them and they both have idols. So what's the plan? Man, if I were Michael or Jenna, whose game Laurel just bombed for Kellyn's sake, I'd be saying I didn't know what Laurel was talking about and Desiree never said poo poo. Because Des was a better friend to them than Laurel was.

Of course whether Des could actually deliver Chelsea and Angela is another question and I kind of doubt it. But when Dom and Wendell steamroll on to the end game phase blame Laurel, not Des. At least Des tried.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 26, 2018

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I like how Dez throws shade on Laurel.

Honey, she wasn't the one spinning the many plates you were juggling to keep in the air.

Unless Dez is narcissistic delusional, her exit interviews tomorrow should be nothing more than "Yeah, I hosed up and got caught."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

Des was good and Laurel was a rat, actually. Even Donathan was onboard for Des's plan but Laurel made the executive decision to scurry over to the power and sell the player offering a lifeline out.

I know Laurel is in good with Dom and Wendell, but she can't beat them and they both have idols. So what's the plan? Man, if I were Michael or Jenna, whose game Laurel just bombed for Kellyn's sake, I'd be saying I didn't know what Laurel was talking about and Desiree never said poo poo. Because Des was a better friend to them than Laurel was.

Of course whether Des could actually deliver Chelsea and Angela is another question and I kind of doubt it. But when Dom and Wendell steamroll on to the end game phase blame Laurel, not Des. At least Des tried.

This is all true but Des played it the worst possible way she could have

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Obviously Desi was right to want to make that move, but that's the only thing she was right about in that episode. She misplayed that in every possible way. The most glaring to me is that she promised Chelsea and Angela's votes and I don't think she had them AT ALL. Angela takes that Ghost Island risk because she feels safe with Navati. And if Chelsea was thinking of flipping than she's an amazing liar because every indication and word she's said makes it seems like she feels good with Dom, Kellyn, and Co. Chelsea voted for Michael so maybe I'm wrong, but at the very least she didn't have Angela's vote because Angela went and gave it up because she had no idea of a coup forming.

So right off the bat Desi is trusting people she shouldn't and promising numbers she doesn't have. Then she gets exposed and by a MIRACLE Kellyn doesn't believe it and tells her. That was a huge break for Desi because if Kellyn is less arrogant and stubborn they can just blindside Des. But Desi panics, calls out Laurel in front of people, and then starts blatantly lying and throwing Laurel under the bus to people who know the truth. That's just Survivor death.

"They knew I was lying."
Yeah, DUH! Half of them were there when you did it and are backing up Laurel! How can you ever expect anyone to trust you after that?

I don't know if Desi could have saved things if she had stayed calm and just tried to whisper about it to Navati without dragging Malolo in. It would have banked on Malolo not caring, and it seems like Donathan at least would have stuck up for Laurel. But drat, did she not handle it in any correct way that could have possible helped. You can't start openly lying about people and expect people to trust you.

In the grand scheme of things Desi's a player who know the right move to make but wasn't a good enough player to pull it off.

I'm fine with Laurel's decision to rat Desi out because its as straight forward as not trusting Desi over Dom and Wendell, and I think the results kind of bore that out. Desi freaked out and threw her under the bus, Dom was calm and backed Laurel even against a stubborn Kellyn. Long term Dom and Wendell are obviously problems for Laurel and she clearly knows that. But allying with untrustworthy people you don't have good relationships with isn't the answer. Survivor players aren't checker pieces you can just move around. You gotta play the people.

Maybe this was Laurel's last and best chance to make a move against them, but I doubt it.

edit: Upon further thought it seems obvious Chelsea and Angela were kept out of the Desi vote because Navati weren't sure if they were in on Desi's plan or not. Angela didn't have a vote so Chelsea stands out as the lone person out of the mix. It leaves me still thinking the two of them weren't in on Desi's plan at all, Dom/Kellyn/Wendell just weren't sure of that and were probably worried about Malolo's votes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 26, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It seems just a little shortsighted of Laurel, personally. She and Donathan hashed it out, but did she even consider blindsiding Kellyn and then flipping back on Desiree? The Malolos need to get rid of as many Navitis as possible, and Laurel knows that she can count on Dom/Wendell to keep her safe. Now Des is gone and the Navitis have a common enemy again in the Malolos. If Kellyn had been blindsided, then Naviti's effectively fractured and the Malolos have several possible allies to bunch up with.

If she'd talked to Dom/Wendell and felt out the idea about blindsiding Kellyn, at least she'd have explored the option.

It's interesting that two weeks in a row someone made the right move (Michael trying to flip Angela, Desiree trying to work her way from the bottom of an alliance)... except that the people they approached just did not want to budge.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

curiousCat posted:

:10bux: says Michael goes.

Buy someone an avatar. Lowtax needs a new spine.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Des really didn't do anything wrong here. Other than maybe not seeing the Dom/Wendel/Donathan/Laurel alliance as something that maybe stronger than the Naviti/Mololo tribe split.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The other reason why I think Laurel misplayed it is because of jury management. Laurel just sent home an angry juror who will very likely not vote for her to win. Sure Desiree's likely pissed at the rest of the Malolos and Domenick, but to her, Laurel was the one who blew up her game.

Even if she decided that Desiree should go home, there were ways to have done it without causing public fireworks. If Des was true to her word and flipped Chelsea (and Angela), then it'd be 4 Naviti to 4 Malolo left. Just convince Dom or Wendell to flip and you send Des home; at that point Malolo holds the cards since if Dom hesitated, they could just jump back onto Desiree's plan and vote out Kellyn.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Laurel really didn't make it into a public thing, Desi did. Blaming her for how it all blew up is basically blaming her for Kellyn being so stubborn and refusing to consider Desi would betray her and Desi choosing to confront her publicly and then flip her story on a dime in front of people and put Malolo in a position where it just made sense to out her.

It seems questionable that Laurel could have gone along with the move and not lost the trust of Dom and Wendell. As she clearly said she just trusts them more than Desi so she didn't want to do that. We can say she should have come to them wanting to make the move but that would run the risk of sketching them out too. I'd argue that by going to them and saying "Desi says she has Angela and Chelsea ready to flip with Mololo to vote out Dom, Wendell, and Kellyn" she basically is presenting it to them without the guilt of being in on it. If Dom goes back and decides Desi, Chelsea, and Angela have flipped and its happening than its kind of on him and Wendell to decide whether to let it happen or fight it. Laurel didn't control the Mololo votes so if it had any momentum it could have happened even with her ratting it out.

That's the thing. It very much seems to me that Desi never had the momentum. She clearly didn't have Angela's vote because she gambled it saying she was safe with Naviti. That would suggest she didn't have Chelsea either, and nothing seemed to indicate she did. It makes sense for Mololo but I never got the sense Desi really sold it to them. Maybe Laurel cut it off before it could pick up steam, but that's still on Desi since it was her move to try and make happen.

I think people have this tendency to jump on the side of the "right move". But the game isn't that simple. Yes, for Desi flipping things there was the right move on paper. But if she didn't have the relationships and trust to pull it off than its not. You can't win a revolution without an army. This game is all about relationships and trust leading to numbers and Desi never once this season seemed like she had that and it blew up in her face this week when she tried to flip half the tribe seemingly without it.

Michael was basically in the same place last week. Yeah, it made sense for him to pitch busting up Dom and Wendell. But without the relationships and trust he just ends up dropping incriminating stuff to someone who is gonna rat him out. Its why the game isn't played in one week.

All that being said I think you could actually make a case that Laurel and the Malolos came out ahead here. They got a Navati gone, they had Chelsea (and presumably Angela) left out of the vote, and they forced a conflict with Dom and Kellyn. That wasn't exactly the goal but if you're them I think you take a Navati eviction as a win and hope there's some further conflict that keeps you in the game another week. In a perfect world you just created Dom/Wendell vs Kellyn. I don't know if that happened or if Kellyn has any real power after this debacle. But any tribal where Malolo gets to sit on the sideline safe is probably a good one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 26, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A lot of it was out of Laurel's hands, since Dom and Kellyn fed a lot of the anti-Laurel back to Des, but she could have done more damage mitigation. Tell Domenick not to let word get back to Des. Assure Des that they were still sticking to the vote, etc. You always want to send someone home without them being angry at you.

The Malolos were going to come out regardless as soon as Des approached them. But throwing her under the bus seems like a short-sighted move, because they failed to take out a power player and the rest of Naviti is gonna truck on just fine. They could have done a lot more damage. There are seeds of something happening (Dom approaching Michael, the Dom v. Kellyn talk), but I'm not sure it was a good move for longevity; you can't always depend on infighting, so taking someone who's willing to jump ship is almost always a good move.

Yeah I get why Laurel and Donathan did it, and even Michael, but I think Jenna lost out. She's still the next to go after Michael, while if the Des flip had worked she might have been able to work with her and form a new bond.

As for Desiree.. it's easy to say 'she misstepped early on and there was nothing she could do'... but I still have to give her props for trying. In most seasons her gambit would have worked. She just didn't know other people had made secret alliances.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah I actually don't think that was the right time for Des to make a move at all. Even if her scheme is successful and she's able to take out Kellyn-Wendell-Dom over the next few episodes, she's still left without a majority alliance. Just a bad plan, with even worse execution.

Also, Kellyn is 100% justified in her worry about Michael. Dude looks better and better to the jury and more indispensable as a swing-vote in the eventual Dom/Wendell vs. Kellyn wars with every TC he survives.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Micheal's clearly a threat but I assume Dom (and Wendell) were concerned that Desi may in fact have Angela and Chelsea which would make her the bigger threat. Best to get out Des while she's made herself a Target and cut that off. Kellyn's right in the big picture but she just seemed indignant about the idea that the girls may have turned on her.

I also think it was a matter of Kellyn's ego and control. She thought she was firmly in control of the game at the start of the episode and I gotta assume that had to do with her assuming she had the Navati women over Dom-Wendell. So it makes sense for her to want Michael and probably Sebastian gone to keep the numbers. But losing the Navati women puts her game position in real jeopardy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Michael's dangerous, but at the same time since he's effectively a free agent, it's the perfect time to snap him up; use him as a solid number that acts as your shield til it's time to cut him. And since he's such a jury threat, it'd be easy to convince everyone to cut him.

Of course the issue with this cast is that they're all surprisingly loyal, so someone like Michael offering loyalty isn't enticing enough.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think going along with the Kellyn boot would have been a pretty good move for Laurel, because as someone else mentioned, it would've put the Malolos ahead of the numbers internally in that alliance, and Desiree and Chelsea would be the bigger targets since they were the ones that would be betraying their original tribe. She could still point to her alliance with Dom and Wendell as something that accomplished its goal (kept her safe at merge), and if she wants them back, after Kellyn goes out they'll have no one else to go to anyway...

STAC Goat posted:

That's the thing. It very much seems to me that Desi never had the momentum. She clearly didn't have Angela's vote because she gambled it saying she was safe with Naviti. That would suggest she didn't have Chelsea either, and nothing seemed to indicate she did. It makes sense for Mololo but I never got the sense Desi really sold it to them. Maybe Laurel cut it off before it could pick up steam, but that's still on Desi since it was her move to try and make happen.
I did myself already say I don't know if she really could have delivered Chelsea and Angela's votes. (Chelsea, maybe.) If she couldn't then obviously this entire conversation is moot. It's more fun just to assume she could or else there's obviously no point debating any of us.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The other reason why I think Laurel misplayed it is because of jury management. Laurel just sent home an angry juror who will very likely not vote for her to win. Sure Desiree's likely pissed at the rest of the Malolos and Domenick, but to her, Laurel was the one who blew up her game.
Yeah, if Laurel makes it to the end with either Dom or Wendell, the jury is going to rip into her big time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Michael makes a good shield for Dom and Wendell at least.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it might benefit them to get him gone just because Kellyn was so insistent about them doing exactly that. I mean, maybe not. Maybe its worth dealing with Kellyn and gambling that she'll stay focused on Michael and not redirect towards them if they resist her too much. And maybe Kellyn no longer has the power to do that. I don't know. But I think Michael's probably a worthy target just because you don't want to let him get far enough to go on an immunity run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

In the long view, Kellyn hosed herself harder than anyone else last night. She was in a pretty stable position and now she's more or less shown to Dom and Wendell with her rant to Dom that she's more on the girls side than theirs. She's not in immediate danger but I think the move put a 5th/6th place ceiling on herself.

I know she ultimately went with the group to vote out Desi, but Dom doesn't seem like the type of person to forget about that conversation.

• Locked thread