Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Are there any straight adventure modules set in this world, for any system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

A straight adaptation of Pantagruel as an NPC would be a lot more fun, interesting and original than simply having him as a monster who kills stuff for no reason.

Just don’t loving ask him about his toilet paper experiments unless you have three hours to spare.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is the exact excerpt about that part.

Malcador also implied his order were the creators of the Emperor in the story.

Anyway the plan was ruined when the Emperor was fatally injured and Malcador died.

That, I suppose makes slightly more sense, but still in a really dumb way. Like, there are so many better ways to get to "disposable post human army" from an efficiency or safety standpoint (including the one he already successfully used to conquer Terra!), it just makes the whole thing look stupid.

Which I'd be okay with, if I thought the writers were seriously trying to get back to the old "the Imperium is a batshit crazy place" vibe. Hell, it would probably hit the current zeitgeist if they went with the notion that the emperor was a poorly socialized idiot handed too much power, destined to become the chaos god of the Dunning-Kruger effect. But I get the impression they're going for "flawed demigod" for which the flaws are usually supposed to be about flaws in human character, not just being terrible at project management.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, for Pathfinder. I have a few. Some are okay, one is an absolute mess and dependent on another book to make even that smallest bit of sense.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Mors Rattus posted:

Just don’t loving ask him about his toilet paper experiments unless you have three hours to spare.
That was his old man, in all fairness.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

God, that retcon is so stupid. The whole point of the Heresy is it’s this epic Greek tragedy with the great hearted hero (Horus) brought down by his fatal flaw (insecurity). The depictions of Horus in Horus Rising show him as a really noble person, certainly much nobler than the Emperor. I mean it’s all over the top Honor and Glory stuff, but the original arc of the Heresy as a tragedy that destroyed what could have been a worthy Imperium and doomed it to be this fascist theocracy is really engaging.

Nope, it’s All Planned By A Secret Cabal.

edit: they even mention in setting that the emperor’s big flaw is his complete lack of empathy and inability to relate to anyone, which is why the Astartes set up warrior lodges, which is how Chaos got it. he also neglected his sons’ emotional and spiritual welfare, treating them like weapons instead of people, which is why so many of them fell. the idea that that was a deliberate and incredibly stupid ploy is just insanely idiotic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 25, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

God, that retcon is so stupid. The whole point of the Heresy is it’s this epic Greek tragedy with the great hearted hero (Horus) brought down by his fatal flaw (insecurity). The depictions of Horus in Horus Rising show him as a really noble person, certainly much nobler than the Emperor. I mean it’s all over the top Honor and Glory stuff, but the original arc of the Heresy as a tragedy that destroyed what could have been a worthy Imperium and doomed it to be this fascist theocracy is really engaging.

Nope, it’s All Planned By A Secret Cabal.

One thing I really appreciate in Black Crusade, and in the original story of Horus, is that nothing Chaos is saying about the Imperium or the Emperor is actually a lie. It's omitting that it may be one of the only forces in the galaxy that is even more oppressive and vicious, but it certainly isn't wrong about 'Your dad wants to be universal tyrant and a man like you could stop him.' It's not a lie, the lie is that your only other option is Chaos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

One thing I really appreciate in Black Crusade, and in the original story of Horus, is that nothing Chaos is saying about the Imperium or the Emperor is actually a lie. It's omitting that it may be one of the only forces in the galaxy that is even more oppressive and vicious, but it certainly isn't wrong about 'Your dad wants to be universal tyrant and a man like you could stop him.' It's not a lie, the lie is that your only other option is Chaos.

Pre-Heresy Angron: "A moral man, eh? If I were a moral man, I'd go to Terra and take the slaving bastard's head."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Feinne posted:

Also the plan was poo poo for reasons they couldn't possibly foresee because an Imperium where the Space Marines wipe each other out shortly after they succeed in reclaiming the galaxy that only has to maybe deal with some occasional Ork attacks or Eldar raiders is probably gonna get rolled by Hive Fleet Behemoth.

Thinking about it, no Space Marines means the Beast leads his giant Waaaagh! and we get a huge Ork empire eventually fighting space bugs. Which does not unappealing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Now I'm torn between the Greek tragedy narrative and the one I came up with:
The Emperor had the best traits of humanity: inspiration, industriousness, grit and determination.
And at the same time he was undermined by the worst traits of humanity: apathy to others, unwillingness to share power, distrust and dogmatic following of what he considered to be the best path.

Maybe I should combine the two outlooks when I actually run a game in the 40k universe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

Thinking about it, no Space Marines means the Beast leads his giant Waaaagh! and we get a huge Ork empire eventually fighting space bugs. Which does not unappealing.

Well, without something big and nasty to fight the Waaaagh probably falls apart and fights itself, but the actual result is fairly similar.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah I mean there's an argument for the whole 'well humanity then has 10,000 years to advance' thing but I'm not sure how that actually makes them better at fighting than a humanity that has spent 10k years focusing all of its efforts on grimdark onlywar stuff. And this is presupposing the Orks don't take them out beforehand in a situation where they only didn't snowball out of control because of the Spess Marines.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay: Black Crusade

If you're not with us, you're Chaos

Herein Chaos tries to claim that absolutely any opposition to the Imperium of Man must, by nature, be supported by and reliant upon Chaos, while dressing it up in the idea that Chaos is the spirit of freedom and noble rebellion. Again, I like this; Chaos tries to pull the same thing in Fantasy, as does the more oppressive side of the Empire. The idea that the Imperium labeling everyone who resists it a Heretic leads a bunch of them to actual heresy out of thinking it's the only way to resist the insane fascist theocracy attacking them is good. This gives you space to have actual rebels and idealists and things in your party rather than just psychopaths screaming BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD LET THE GALAXY BURN like Chaos usually does. It's also interesting because it's a lie both Chaos and the Imperium profit from too much to ever stop telling it. Chaos and the Imperium both want to get the chain around your neck by pointing to the other guy and going 'Well if he's that bad, we've got to be better, right?'

Many of your human PCs will be people who have never been Imperials. Whole planets live inside the Screaming Vortex and they're full of people, same as outside in Realspace. Just because it's a swirling metal album hell realm doesn't mean there aren't farmers and technicians and 'normal' people who would normally get by saying a few prayers to the Dark Gods and paying off the Warbands. You might also be from outside the Imperium in Realspace; maybe your home was recently rediscovered by murderous, colonizing Rogue Traders and you've gone looking for help. Maybe you come from a world that had a government the Imperium didn't like when it arrived. Maybe you used to trade and work with aliens. Maybe you used to be a Wizard King or something that *really* didn't want to get on the Black Ships. The Imperium's oppressive and monolithic policies make sure that plenty of the people who meet it for the first time will be willing to listen to its biggest enemy.

Other PCs will have been Imperials who ran afoul of the regime. You might have been the fall-guy for a big military defeat to spare a political climber like Tetarchus over in Jericho. Maybe you're an Inquisitor with a radical theory that things need to change or the Imperium is going to slowly die. Maybe you're a Rogue Trader that went too rogue to ever actually go back. The Imperium's love of punishing subordinates to protect the truly mighty creates a lot of very angry people who don't want to die. Similarly, plenty of legitimate failures and losers will flee rather than sit back and die; if you're a noble who failed to take over your house, it might be better to run for wilderness space or the Vortex rather than sit there and wait for your victorious sibling to have you shoved in a cryotank or tortured to death. With a brutal and ill-run regime like the Imperium of Man, the reasons for rebellion or flight are endless.

Within the Imperium, characters are often driven to Chaos by the oppression of the Imperium. Political parties agitating for reform find themselves attacked by the Inquisition as heretics, and may find their only protection from actual heretics. Labor organizers are crushed for trying to act 'above their station' and may end up asking for help from things they don't totally understand because the other option is being tortured to death. Mutants don't get any other choice; at best, the Imperium will put them into forced labor camps or drive them into underhives. Chaos often lies to these people about what it is until they no longer have a choice, because things have already gone too far. This is good stuff; this is bringing in some of the best bits from the Fantasy Tome of Corruption, where trying to oppress your way out of Chaos only makes the problem worse. The difference is where the Empire had lots of hope of reform and impetus to do so (with things like the slow professionalization of the Witch Hunters) here you've got the Imperial Inquisition, who never met a problem they didn't like making worse. But it's still one of the better dynamics for Chaos and a nice, subtle indictment of the crazy 'burn a thousand innocents to get one heretic' Imperial doctrine. It also opens you up to playing characters with understandable reasons to get involved with heresy beyond just desiring personal power, and if you want a more serious game PCs struggling to keep some of the ideals that drove them to rebellion as Chaos tries to wear them down is actually fun to do.

Meanwhile, as I mentioned before, some PCs just come from the Screaming Vortex. Billions of people live in the Warp. It would be a nightmarish and chaotic existence to people from outside, but when you grew up farming screaming eye-stalks from the soul-wheat and squeezing fresh water out of the blood river I imagine it can seem downright normal. Some of these folk will be called to take up the gun and try to win greater glory and maybe see Realspace some day. Some may even aspire to impress the Traitor Legions and be recruited into being a Chaos Space Marine, much like the Kurgan, Hung, and Norse in Fantasy are sometimes called to become Chaos Warriors. Being from a weird nightmare realm where you can literally jump to another planet when the stars are right isn't that bad.

Also, a wise organizational thing to talk about quickly: Right after all this background the game immediately goes into the basics of how the dice system works, what the stats are, etc well before you get to character creation. They moved it all to chapter 1 instead of chapter 7. It's also here that we get the goal of the game: Get 100 Infamy before you get 100 Corruption. You'll need to work hard at it: The way Corruption and Infamy gains are balanced out, you need to be completing big objectives and winning adventures consistently to get the extra Infamy you'll need to get yourself over the 100 line before you hit 100 Corruption. Also, you lose your PC at either threshold. Corruption and Infamy is an interesting idea that would be better if Corruption was more interactive, and if there were more ways to, say, take Corruption in the short term to set up Infamy gains in the long term. Also, many Infamy gains are directly tied to Corruption gains, which seems like a mistake.

Next Time: Making a Heretic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, without something big and nasty to fight the Waaaagh probably falls apart and fights itself, but the actual result is fairly similar.

That's a fair point. We might not even get the Beast without an Imperium to rage against.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Desiden posted:

Which I'd be okay with, if I thought the writers were seriously trying to get back to the old "the Imperium is a batshit crazy place" vibe. Hell, it would probably hit the current zeitgeist if they went with the notion that the emperor was a poorly socialized idiot handed too much power, destined to become the chaos god of the Dunning-Kruger effect. But I get the impression they're going for "flawed demigod" for which the flaws are usually supposed to be about flaws in human character, not just being terrible at project management.

The Imperium has been heavily pointed out as a Batshit crazy place recently. The Emperor has been portrayed recently not as a flawed Demigod. But as an "evil possibly a god." Guilliman in particular stating that he is a horrible being who cares nothing for humans and even if he was a god he is undeserving of worship.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Feinne posted:

Yeah I mean there's an argument for the whole 'well humanity then has 10,000 years to advance' thing but I'm not sure how that actually makes them better at fighting than a humanity that has spent 10k years focusing all of its efforts on grimdark onlywar stuff. And this is presupposing the Orks don't take them out beforehand in a situation where they only didn't snowball out of control because of the Spess Marines.

Cause the Impeiurm never learned any lessons in it's grimdark only war stuff. Almost every war they engage in uses the same tactics and mistakes. Sending wave after wave of their troops who are not allowed to retreat under threat of death. Overly stretching their supply lines, repeated shooting themselves in the foot with bickering. The Imperium has made next to no progress in terms of tactics or tech in the 10,000 years it's been around.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Feinne posted:

Doing the grimdark fascist war stuff is in real life demonstrably the fastest way to get really embarrassingly bad at warfare. Hence the Spartans getting by basically entirely on reputation after a grinding away all of the people with practical skills to only be left with warriors and slaves.

Also even in universe the humans of the 40k universe were straight up better pre-Emperor, and even at the height of the Imperium they were mostly just copying and re-purposing things made by the much smarter, much better equipped humans from before the whole daemon apocalypse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bad Ideas Ahoy

There is no Career system in BC. The Career system is dead. BC will be the first of two attempts to replace it in a way that supposedly allows for more flexible, varied PCs. Neither of them works. The one in BC is also actually directly linked to which God you follow; all PCs start out as Undivided RAW and then, if you have 5 more advances in advances linked to a God when you hit various Corruption thresholds you switch over to being aligned to that god. There is a reason one of the most common houserules you'll see on SA BC games is 'gently caress that, just say what God you follow'. In Black Crusade, all advances are available at 8 'o clock, day one. You don't need to hit an experience level to buy Mighty Shot or Bolt Proficiency (Also, weapon proficiencies for Pistol/Basic/whatever are gone now. You just learn 'Weapons: Las' and that's good for all lasguns), those things are now gated by being Tier 1, 2, or 3, which affects cost. Your alignment also affects cost. For instance, Khornates can buy Swift Attack (Tier 2) and Lightning Attack (Tier 3) at a lower rate rather than a Slaaneshi, who is opposed to Khorne and thus pays the highest possible price for those. Meanwhile the Khornate can't buy ranks of the Dodge skill (Skills can be bought up to +30 now, at increasing costs at each step) without paying through the nose. To max out an 'opposed' skill is 2500 EXP. To max out a True (aligned to your God) skill is 1300, about half that. Stat advances have been brought back down to original Dark Heresy costs while skills and talents are generally more expensive. Some talents and skills are themselves Unaligned and will always have medium costs for any PC.

The Alignment dance goes: Slaanesh is okay with Tzeentch and hates Nurgle and Khorne. Khorne is okay with Nurgle but hates Tzeentch and Slaanesh. Tzeentch is a cardboard cutout with 'clever' written on it and also 'gently caress Nurgle and Khorne'. Nurgle is okay with Khorne but mildly disapproves of Slaanesh and Tzeentch. All of them think Chaos Undivided is boring (If you're Unaligned you get moderate costs for everything in the game, which really adds up and will screw you over quite a bit.)

Also, remember how they for some reason refuse to let PCs get very many Wounds? Yeah, well, buying individual wounds is 200 EXP if you're Nurglite (Reasonable), 300 if Khornate or Unaligned (Eh), and 400 (so you just don't buy them) for anyone else, plus every Wound moves you closer to Nurgle, AND there's a cap on Wounds of 'Your Toughness Bonus'. So you're paying a bunch of EXP for each individual hitpoint, it fucks with your alignment (unless you're Nurglite, in which case it helps you assure it more easily) and you can't actually buy enough to protect you from our Good Friend Lascannon. Note that Dodge is a Slaaneshi skill, too, and Slaanesh and Nurgle don't get along, so your Nurglite is going to have to pay a hefty tax to avoid death by Lascannon.

In theory this is all supposed to allow for diverse PCs. In practice, it acts like Cross Class skills in D&D: It's a waste of your goddamn time to try to break type. All mechanical incentives point towards buying as few 'tax' powers and talents from Gods you aren't with as you can get away with, because you could buy multiple talents or high tier talents for your actual God for the same resources. Also, everyone having access to all the best talents right away tends to lead to everyone buying those talents immediately, because why the hell wouldn't you? In practice, this system homogenizes the HELL out of PCs. You're never going to meet a Khornate who doesn't focus on melee, because being able to master melee is like, what Khorne's got going for him. Every Slaaneshi is going to be a graceful social wizard, because that's what Slaanesh gives you. Tzeentch guys are all going to be space wizards because he is the God of Space Wizard. Nurglites all get obliterated by a lascannon because nothing he gives you actually makes you meaningfully tough enough to survive direct heavy weapons hits but in theory they're all going to be tough tanks. And Unaligned will all be gimped next to their allies because they're paying a general 50% EXP tax while also getting hosed by the Reward/Mutation system, which we'll get to later. To put it succinctly, the Reward/Mutation system makes it really clear you are *not supposed to stay Unaligned* since the Unaligned only ever gain Mutations, never Rewards of Chaos.

Oh, yeah, and if you buy 20 advances for your God and have 5 more in that God than any other God besides Unaligned, you get the Mark of Chaos automatically. Nurgle's Mark makes you suffer nothing from Critical Hits unless they kill you or blow off a limb and gives +1 Unnatural Toughness. Khorne's Mark gives +2 Unnatural Strength, +3 to damage on Charges, and resistance to psychic powers. Slaanesh's gives +2 Unnatural Fellowship and Heightened Senses (All), so effectively +10 to Perception tests. Tzeentch's gives +1 Psy Rating and makes you a Psyker if you weren't, plus gives +1 Unnatural Willpower. You want a God Mark, and you get it by specializing your PC and playing to your strict type. This is going to be a theme with Chaos. Speaking of, Unnaturals are now '+X' instead of 'Multiple by X'. So Marines have Unnatural Str 4 and Tough 4, but it won't multiply their Str and Toughness advances anymore.

The first choice in PC creation is Human or Marine. Marines get a bunch of Marine training like Deathwatch Marines, and automatically start with their power armor and a bolter or bolt pistol. They also get base 30 for all stats, like a DW Marine. They get 500 starting EXP to spend and will gain fewer Rewards/Mutations than a human. Humans only get a paltry couple Common Lores and know a Trade (Useless) but get a very helpful base +2 to Initiative (Humans know they gotta be quick on the draw to survive in Marine Town), get more Mutations/Rewards, and generally have more skills and things attached to their archetypes (starting packages) than Marines. Unfortunately they get 25s in their stats to start. Humans are meant to be more of quick skillmonkeys and tricky folk who rely on skill and precision, while Marines just face-tank their way through life. You roll stats exactly like you have in all the other games: 25+2d10 down the line or 30+2d10 if you're a Marine. Then you pick your Archetype.

The Legion Champion is a Chaos Marine officer. They get some minor command and social skills on top of their Marine training, 15+d5 Wounds, some command talents, and a power sword to indicate they're an officer. They also get the ability to let other players spend Infamy points (Fate) as if they were the Champion's Alignment and Corruption, which is a mostly meh special ability (Fate is now limited some by how Corrupt you are and which God you follow). These are the squad leaders of the Chaos Legions, brutal warriors who know a little about motivating people as well as hitting people with a sword. Most Champions are trying to climb the ranks by executing daring raids and planning clever betrayals. They get involved with a party because a bunch of highly trained, talented individuals can make their leader look even better. Most tend to assume they're the group's leader.

Legion Chosen don't give a poo poo about rank. These are professional Space Marine killers, mercenaries and raiders who fight mostly to gain the means to keep fighting. They know Stealth and they can dodge and parry pretty well (Parrying is an actual Skill now). They're quick on the draw and can choose to be precise with a melee weapon or a gun, and get d5+16 Wounds. Whenever they inflict Zealous Hatred (It can't be Righteous Fury) they can roll it twice and pick the roll they want to choose; Zealous Hatred no longer causes cascading, exploding damage dice but rather immediately inflicts a d5 Crit Result. This is a way better special ability. Since Chosen don't tend to care about their own advancement or who their allies happen to be so long as they can keep practicing their trade of war, they fit in well in a mixed group; if the humans can hire a Marine to come along, the Marine will be fine with coming along as long as he or she has plenty of enemies to fight and shinier guns and swords to use.

Forsaken are Marines who have left their Legion, or who never had a Legion to begin with, being renegade Imperial Marines. These are the 'skill' Marine, coming with some ability to do business with others and some ability to survive and sneak on their own. They also get 15+d5 Wounds and +10 on checks against their Infamy to buy expensive gear, since they know how to make contacts and have had to do their own logistics work. The core of a Forsaken's character is obviously going to be 'why are you a hobo Marine', and the range of answers you can give means you can make a lot of different sorts of Forsaken. Their fluff specifically points out they're the most likely to be found in a mixed Warband, because without other Marines to back them up they tend to be used to working with regular humans.

Sorcerers are basically weaker Librarians; they are evil space wizards who are also Space Marines. They start with relatively few Psy powers and only Psy 2, and they start 'bound', meaning they can't take as big of risks with their magic but it's a bit safer. They're deceptive and tricky people with a bit of forbidden knowledge, and they also get to start with a Force Weapon just like a Librarian, so they have one of the best melee weapon types in the game from the getgo. Note that you cannot align to Khorne if you are a Sorcerer, or rather if you do you cannot use your magic until you unalign from him; Khorne despises all weavers of the black arts. So being exceptional with that melee weapon is going to be tough. Sorcerers usually think of themselves as expert plotters and especially favored wizards. They like to join a Warband as an 'advisor' while assuming they control it from the shadows. They also get 15+d5 Wounds.

Now, the humans. Humans can actually hang with the Marines pretty well! They get actual stat bonuses from their Archetype (But not enough to make up for the +5 to everything the Marine gets) but more importantly, humans can be subtle, clever, and skillful. Marines are a bull in the china shop.

Apostates are former Inquisitors, demagogues, Rogue Traders, religious leaders, etc who have fallen into Chaos. They might also be native preachers or social climbers from the Vortex. They are the absolute masters of social manipulation, coming with a bunch of social skills and some of them already at +10. They also get a native +5 Fellowship and d5+9 Wounds. They also get some good leader talents, and can start with a minion (a bit like Leadership in D&D, getting them a minor NPC that gets replaced if they die). Their special ability lets them sow the seeds of their reputation with an outside organization once per session, making a Charm or Deceive test to temporarily give themselves the Peer (+10 to Interaction tests with that faction) talent with that group (which also, I believe, erases any bad reputation with that group for the session). If they have a 55+ Base Fellowship, they get Peer (2) for +20 instead. The ability to work the field a little and get ready to diplomat can be *really* helpful. Most Apostates had or have a position of some authority and a lot of experience with people. They join a warband because while they aren't great warriors, everyone can use a talented diplomat who can pull multiple fractious factions together behind the scenes.

The Heretek is a Warhammer 40,000 Roleplay Techpriest, so you know they're going to be a total badass. They bring 12+d5 Wounds, +5 Int, and a ton of tech skills and cybernetics to the table, as they always have. They make robots much more loyal minions. They get 2 Good Cybernetics and the Mechanicus Implants trait. Also note they are now completely able to, say, align to Khorne while juicing themselves up with crazy cybertech and warptech, at which point they can elbow-drop space marines from orbit or whatever lunatic stuff Techpriests get up to or run around one-handing autocannons. This is the Techpriest after 3 whole games of FFG slowly turning them into angry action machine Gods, and this is the Techpriest with all the brakes specifically removed; you know it's gonna get crazy. They either grew up in the Vortex and were always mad scientists, or they were mad scientists who were driven out of the Imperium and are now on a quest to show all the fools back home the true power of technology. Fools-showing is an important part of Mad Science.

The Renegade is the human fighter, and surprisingly enough they're actually really good. They come with a lot of wide weapon training and neat dirty fighting tricks, and they tend to be good commanders and better at dealing with people and doing non-fight stuff than Marines. These are the cunning normal human that uses the Gifts of Chaos and years of experience and skill to beat a Marine's raw power, in theory. In practice it can take them a little while to get going, but their special ability of +1 DoS with any checks of a stat of their choice (usually BS or WS or Agi) is actually really, really great. They get +3 BS and WS and 10+d5 Wounds. These are fallen Imperial heroes, stormtroopers, guard officers, etc. Alternately, these are the most talented local warriors from human warbands; pirate heroes, princes of daemonic feudal worlds, or just really experienced, professional killers. Don't let their lack of implants fool you: Renegades still kick a lot of rear end.

The Psyker doesn't care that they aren't a Marine. The Psyker has it where it counts, starting at Psy 3 instead of 2 and being equipped with stronger raw power and warp senses than the Sorcerer at the start. They have a piddly d5+8 Wounds and gain +5 Willpower. They can choose to pour even more power into their abilities, at greater risk, than the Marine version can. Psykers have all kinds of reasons to join Chaos but the biggest one is 'The Imperium wanted to take you away and then torture you for years to break you into a pliable instrument of their will and/or feed you to the Emperor'. They tend to be somewhat unstable individuals but their mighty space wizardry means they can get away with being eccentric.

After Archetype, you roll for or pick your Pride, your Disgrace, and your Motive for being here. These all have significant mechanical effects. By the end of them, you'll have the skeleton of a backstory and concept and you might have stats minmaxed to the moon. These are things like priding yourself on being Logical (+5 Int, -5 Per) or feeling Disgraced by your HUBRIS (+2 starting Infamy, -4 Int). Once these are done, you spend your 500 EXP if a Marine, 1000 if a human, and you've got your Heretic.

Next: Making an actual Heretic

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Doing the grimdark fascist war stuff is in real life demonstrably the fastest way to get really embarrassingly bad at warfare. Hence the Spartans getting by basically entirely on reputation after a grinding away all of the people with practical skills to only be left with warriors and slaves.

Also even in universe the humans of the 40k universe were straight up better pre-Emperor, and even at the height of the Imperium they were mostly just copying and re-purposing things made by the much smarter, much better equipped humans from before the whole daemon apocalypse.

Yeah fair enough.

We're also assuming something else unexpected wouldn't have happened in between, since The Emprah's doesn't seem to do well when things don't go to plan. Like realistically Chaos probably still finds a way to gently caress everything up one way or the other, that's kind of what they do.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing that really stands out: Human heretics can come from a ton of different backgrounds, old job experiences, and hold a ton of different reasons for being here.

Most Marines are just 'Well I like killing and Chaos rewards me for it so I'm gonna go headbutt a guy so hard he explodes. Laters.'

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Tyranids might not have invaded per the latest fluff without the Heresy. It's set up that the loyalists supercharged an ancient alien psychic beacon to keep a cut off section of the Imperium going and that gets the attention of the Tyranids.

If the Emperor's big plan succeeded with the webway, humanity would have instant transportation without the warp and probably could have dealt with any problem with ease. Then again, they probably would have devolved into Eldar-style decadence and self destructed after a while.

It's really just a story about a bad dad and the hi-jinks his zany, totally different sons get up to.

It all doesn't matter anyways because fluff should be nothing more than a backdrop to you slamming hams.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 25, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I stopped thinking 40k lore was remotely cool the second I learned that the Iron Hands' primarch is named Ferrus Manus.

Ferrus. Manus.

Keep in mind: the Iron Hands are named after him, not the other way round. His (foster) parents named him that. Also, later, in an unrelated incident, he accidentally got his hands dipped in molten metal, which somehow bonded to them. So he had iron hands.

Ferrus Manus.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

megane posted:

I stopped thinking 40k lore was remotely cool the second I learned that the Iron Hands' primarch is named Ferrus Manus.

Ferrus. Manus.

Keep in mind: the Iron Hands are named after him, not the other way round. His (foster) parents named him that. Also, later, in an unrelated incident, he accidentally got his hands dipped in molten metal, which somehow bonded to them. So he had iron hands.

Ferrus Manus.

Isn't 40k the one with Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hel posted:

Yes, that was the original Inquisitor from the 80s. With his fedora and power-t-shirt.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hel posted:

The very same.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It is always really, really funny that Inquisitors are this big super terrifying thing in the setting these days considering this is where they started.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Rifts Index & Adventures Volume Two, Part 6: "Game Masters, I suggest you roleplay a little of the setting, just to help relate the boredom (a few minutes in real time should begin to produce yawns)."

Well, time for the part many folks are waiting for with Rifts reviews like this, and that's the fiasco. This is the part where the fiasco begins. with a railroaded, incoherent, and yet bizarrely arrogant adventure! And I'm the kind of person who thinks railroading gets a bit of a bad rap. A highly structured game can be fine, particularly for one-shots and conventions, or for games with strict genre conventions. I don't think anybody really has an issue with a game of Last Stand that runs like downtime > bug fight > downtime > bug fight > downtime > climactic bug fight. But an adventure like this can't stop there. It's the kind of adventure that directs the GM to emotionally manipulate the players or fool them to make its plot beats happen. It has a story to tell, and player choice is a pest to be swept aside so we can tell the story of The OBERMAX Imperative.

Click here for Part 1 of the review!
Click here for Part 2 of the review!
Click here for Part 3 of the review!
Click here for Part 4 of the review!
Click here for Part 5 of the review!
Click here for Part 6 of the review!

Review Notes:
  • This part covers Part 1 (of 3) for the adventure "The OBERMAX Imperative" written by Kevin E. Krueger, who will also work on Rifts World Book 17: Warlords of Russia.
  • "The OBERMAX Imperative is a study in what can go both right and wrong with genetic research." It is not.
  • The mysterious "Dragonmen" that attack? They never show up again.
  • The fact that the macguffin turns some guys into spider-monsters? Even for those exposed to it, it never happens again.
  • If this part is run as a single adventure, it's presumed the character's employer planned to sell the vials to a smuggler (despite needing them to cure his mutation?), and the PCs can just go an sell the dangerous bioweapon they're carrying to him, then blow town! (PCs: no sense of right or wrong.)
  • The music used is "Hook, Line, and Sinker" by Apache Tomcat and is used under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

What if this happened in the adventure? That'd be pretty neat! Well, it doesn't.

Next: Just pure, undiluted nonsense.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To examine the general power levels of the two, we'll be making a Marine Chosen and Human Renegade. You'll note there's no selecting for homeworld; there's a sidebar that talks about how such things have long since stopped mattering to followers of Chaos.

The Marine starts with 30 in everything, and after rolling (and one reroll for a bad stat) is WS 37, BS 43, S 36, T 48, Agi 34, Int 42, Per 37, WP 45, Fel 34. He rerolls Strength and gets Str 48. So, fit, but clumsy Space Marine with poor eyesight and little personality. He then adds in his Legion training: As a Marine, he already has Athletics, Awareness, Common Lore (WAR), Dodge, Forbidden Lore (Astartes, Horus Heresy, The Long War), Linguistics (Low Gothic), Navigate (Surface), Operate (Surface), and Parry. He also starts with the Talents: Ambidextrous, Bulging Biceps (Can use heavy weapons like rifles), Legion Weapons Training, Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight), Nerves of Steel, Quick Draw, Resistance (Cold, Heat, Poison), and Unarmed Warrior. You will note they have less abilities than a loyalist Marine in Deathwatch; this is in keeping with normal 40k, where they make a big deal about Chaos Marines but they're generally kind of shittier than Loyalists with worse gear until they get some Gifts in 'em. He also gets Unnatural Strength (4) and Toughness (4), plus his power armor and a bolter and combat knife. As a Chosen, he adds in Stealth, Dodge+10, and Intimidate. He also gets a choice of Quick Draw or Rapid Reload, but, uh, already has Quick Draw so he gets Rapid Reload. He'll take Double Team to be able to team up on people over Disarm, to make up for his poor melee skill. He gets Lightning Reflexes, so he'll reroll Init and take best. He'll take Deadeye Shot to be able to make called Bolt shots. Finally, he grabs his free spare pistol and chainsword for being Chosen and rolls for Wounds: He's got 20.

For his Pride, he rolls an unusual one: Craftsmanship. He gets +3 Intelligence and Agility, -3 to both combat skills, and gets 1 point of starting Infamy. His disgrace is his terrible HUBRIS at -4 Intelligence and +2 Infamy. Finally, his goal is Immortality, wanting to live forever. It has a hefty -5 to Weapon Skill and +2 Wounds; he has a 29 base WS after all this *as a Space Marine*. Good thing he's a decent shot. So there you have it, a prideful, boastful Space Marine mercenary who takes pleasure in his professionalism and trade but who is worse with a sword than the average starting DH character. He spends his EXP on a BS and Toughness advance for 250 each. This also moves him 1 point towards Nurgle, the poor, stupid bastard (Nurgle gets even more shafted later in the book). He rolls for starting Infamy which isn't written until late in the book (d5+19+Modifiers) and gets a 1 on the d5: He's got 23 Infamy. Infamy's 10s stat is also your fate point equivalent here, so for now he has 2 Infamy Points.

The human Renegade, on the other hand, starts as WS 36, BS 36, S 36, T 39, Agi 38, Int 37, Per 32, WP 42, Fel 45. She is exceptionally slightly above average except that WP and Fel. She rerolls Per since it's the only poor stat she has and it raises to 42. She is strong-willed, perceptive, and exceptionally persuasive while being merely competent physically and mentally. As a human, she picks up Common Lore (Imperium and Ecclesiarchy), Trade (Armorer), and Linguistics (Low Gothic). Note that all these heretics are assumed to be able to read now. She also gets an inherent +2 Initiative for being human. As a Renegade, her WS and BS raise up to 39. She then gains Athletics, Awareness, Dodge, Parry, Common Lore (War), Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis), Operate (Aircraft) (She gets to choose one), Intimidate OR Command (She picks Command), Dodge+10 OR Parry+10 (She picks Dodge), Survival OR Stealth (She picks Stealth), Tech Use OR Medicae (She picks Medicae). Having someone with Medicae around is *really goddamn helpful* I should add. For Talents, she gets Jaded (No Fear for mundane violence), Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Heavy Weapon Training, Weapon Training (Primary, Chain, Las, SP, Flame and Bolt), Catfall OR Combat Sense (Takes Combat Sense to use her good Perception for Init), Surestrike OR Deadeye Shot OR Marksman (Takes Marksman because no range penalties ever), Double Team OR Disarm OR Takedown (Takes Double Team), Ambidextrous OR Hip Shooting (Takes Ambidextrous). She also starts with a Best Chainsword OR a Power Mace, and takes the Chainsword. She gets carapace armor, a bolt pistol, and a Good Bolter. She also takes Ballistic Skill as her Adroit stat (+1 DoS with Ballistic Skill tests). She also gets 15 Wounds.

Now she rolls motives. Her pride is in her Charm, giving her +5 Fellowship and -5 to Toughness, making her insanely good with people. Her disgrace is her Greed, giving her +4 Corruption at start and a -10 to use the Commerce skill since she wants everything. Her motive is Perfection, and this character could not be more Slaaneshi if she tried. This lets her pick a stat and give it +5 at the cost of picking two stats to have -3, so she takes -3 to WS and WP for +5 to Fellowship, again. If she was an Apostate she could easily be starting with a 70+ Fellowship. Instead she'll spend her EXP: Charm and Deceive for 200 each, then +5 to Fellowship and Ballistic Skill for 250 each, with 100 in the bank. She rolls Infamy and gets a 5, but has no modifiers: She starts with 4 Corruption and 24 Infamy. She also starts with 3 Slaanesh advances, so only needs to buy 2 more before 10 Corruption to Align as fast as possible. And you want to align, if only so you might actually get bonuses from the Gods instead of just mutations.

So there you have it: A giant brick in armor with a very big gun and an incurious, clumsy demeanor and a graceful, charming, perceptive gunslinger. Humans and Marines feel very different mechanically, but they feel on roughly the same level and they'll hang together well as long as you don't send the Marines to blend in or do anything subtle. If I had to pick, I'd much rather GM for an all-Human party than an all-Marine one, though. You'll also note the Passions radically alter a character and that rolling for them randomly can screw you. Some of them are also extremely purely negative, which is odd. For instance, the motive Violence gives +5 Corruption and -3 Intelligence with no benefit. The motive Nihilism is the same, but with -3 Willpower. I'm not sure why some of these purely negative ones exist; they screw a character some mechanically if you're rolling and if you're not, who would pick them?

Next Time: Whatever needs to be said about Skills and Talents.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes in fact, and quite a bit, too! The bulk of them are in Pathfinder, but there's an increasing amount of 5th Edition adventures as of late. A lot of them can be found here.

Individual Adventures:

Alleys of Zobeck (PF)
Cat & Mouse (PF/5e)
Shadows of the Dusk Queen (PF/5e)
Tomb of Tiberesh (5e)
Wreck of Volund's Glory (13A)
Grimalkin (5e)
Wrath of the River King (PF/5e)
Blood Vaults of Sister Alkava (5e)
Sanctuary of Belches (5e, setting-neutral but contains advice on how to run in the setting)

Midgard Adventures Serial:

To the Edge of the World (PF)
The Raven's Call (PF/5e)
Mayhem Beneath Demon Mountain (PF)
Beyond the Ghostlight Reef (PF)
The Buried Palace (PF)
The Forgotten King's Tomb (PF)

Adventure Anthologies/Megaventures:

Tales of the Old Margreve (PF)
Courts of the Shadow Fey (PF/4e, upcoming one for 5e)
Streets of Zobeck (PF/5e)
Midgard Tales (PF)
Halls of the Mountain King (PF)
Tales of Zobeck (PF)

There was also an Eleven Arabian Nights adventure anthology, but that was backer-exclusive for the Southlands KickStarter. It is Pathfinder to my knowledge.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 25, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Some of them are also extremely purely negative, which is odd. For instance, the motive Violence gives +5 Corruption and -3 Intelligence with no benefit. The motive Nihilism is the same, but with -3 Willpower. I'm not sure why some of these purely negative ones exist; they screw a character some mechanically if you're rolling and if you're not, who would pick them?

Because Violence and Nihilism are Bad and Wrong. You can't fight the Imperium and change things for the better if that's all you care about.

Also you said the +2 initiative humans get is because they know they need to get the drop on Space Marines if they want to survive, is that from the book or your observation? Because if its something the book said I hope they were smart enough to do more with that idea. Having skills and talents exclusively for humans to deal with Space Marines would be hilarious. Not just combat, but being better at manipulating the arrogance the post-human supermen feel over the puny humans.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One brutal thing Sorcerors can do is use Warp Time (gives you a bunch of Unnatural WS, BS, and AGI) with Lightning Strike (one extra hit per degree-of-success on a melee attack). Hit them half a dozen times with a Force Weapon, which as previously discussed is already one of the deadliest melee weapons in the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Considering that Black Crusade is about both Chaos Marines and non-potato Heretics, does it have any support for playing a member of a particular Chaos Marine chapter? Or do you just grab the advances that seem most appropriate to being, say, an Alpha Marine, and then declare that's what you are?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Considering that Black Crusade is about both Chaos Marines and non-potato Heretics, does it have any support for playing a member of a particular Chaos Marine chapter? Or do you just grab the advances that seem most appropriate to being, say, an Alpha Marine, and then declare that's what you are?

In the supplementary material you have options for more advanced starts that allow you to play as a specialist from each of 9 legions. Regular humans aren't screwed over as they have their own options which range from being a sorcerer/tech guy to an extremely hedonistic space captain.

edit: Honestly the Space Marines come out slightly worse as the human classes get some amazingly broken class abilities.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 26, 2018

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Not in the base game, but the various expansion books have Legion-specific archetypes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A key thing with 40k is humanity used to outright have a Star Trek esque advanced, enlightened spacefaring society that the Emperor should remember and started the Imperium from the ashes of. (The Fall hosed humanity not a hell of a lot less than it did the Eldar)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Doesn't Black Crusade let you play as an Ork?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Playable Orks are in Rogue Trader, along with playable Kroot, since both have mercenary factions that will sometimes work for the Empire.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Alright, let's finish the bulk of the...

CONTENT WARNING: misogyny, dead children, torture, rape, bleeding from the cock

PEARL RIVERBEND
A beautiful young woman with gorilla arms and snakes growing from her shoulders. Naturally, her tits are (still) perfect -- although she is fully clothed in the art, which is fine. She has a whole backstory about a sorcerer who cursed her and now she hates sorcerers and is loyal to the kobolds who took her in after she was gorillified; since the man himself is dead PCs might take it upon themselves to find a cure for her condition, which is a pretty decent plot hook. She's only got 3 HD so she's just the right level for characters to quest for a cure rather than just slapping a remove curse on her and calling it a day.

PONTIFF
Pontiffs are a range of weird-looking quasi-humanoid creatures who hate female gods and female priests. Male worshippers of male gods are fine, though. Naturally, they have a perfect ability to discern people's religion -- and, apparently, character class and gender, although that's not mentioned in the text.

They don't talk or communicate, which makes them at least 50% less interesting than they could be.

Acolyte
Low-level pontiffs (1 HD). They go peacefully about their business until they see a FEMALE PRIEST or an any-gendered priest of a FEMALE GODDESS. Then they go berserk and try to kill the offender.

Their alignment is Lawful Neutral!

Confessor
Slightly more potent pontiffs (3 HD). They're basically the same as acolytes except they're much smarter, Lawful Evil in alignment, and have a unique spell-like ability that does a little damage and forces the victim to confess their worst sin aloud, at the top of their lungs. Which is an idea with merit, although characters fighting a 3-HD monster probably won't have clocked too many interesting sins yet.

Hierophant
Like a bigger, badder confessor with a few minor spell-like abilities and the ability to deflect spells to other, nearby targets.

It reproduces by injecting an egg into a FEMALE or someone who worships a FEMALE GODDESS. Then it kills itself and a few days later the new hierophant is born from the victim. So the population of hierophants can only ever go down, which seems like a flaw.

QOLISHUUL
It's a tree which grows out of people's stomachs, then animates the bodies and goes looking for people to kill. I've seen better incarnations of plant-zombies this week.

QUERIST
Querist is a unique pit fiend who has contracted a putrefying disease and is now an immortal melty-flesh thing. He's quite genial and likes to talk ethics, ambitions, achievements, and so on -- although if you lie to him he'll pull your head out of your rear end in a top hat. He has a giant heap of random schemes on the go at any given time, executed by his networks of low-level minions, so he would make a pretty good patron for a bunch of chaotic low-level PCs.

REMNANT
Powerful evil beings take adventuring parties and smoosh them together into a torso with five handless arms stuck to it. It's egregiously powerful! (Because it has effectively 4-5 turns every round, including two spell attacks, thus giving the PCs a taste of what it's like to be on the receiving end of the action economy.)

RUQOLOI
Remember this aside, ARB?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's good to know there are proper monsters out there to enforce solid Christian values. Whoops, did you take the lord's name in vain? Well, here comes the magic skullblob that burrows its way into your spleen through your ear canal.

Well the ruqoloi is an insect-lobster thing which is summoned to punish blasphemers. Also, anyone who was exposed to the blasphemy. Then it comes back to punish the blasphemer again. A significant chunk of its 3/4-page writeup is dedicated to describing how it mutilates the blasphemer and, you know, anyone who happened to hear them say 'gently caress' in church.

Their alignment is neutral!

SCAVENGERS
Low-HD vulture-people. They're pretty cool! They typically lure people towards more powerful predators (or deadly dungeons), wait for them to get hosed up, then grab whatever meat is left over.

SCORPION, ALABASTER
It's a giant scorpion with four big eyes and a paralysis gaze attack. The illustration has been done by somebody who has only the vaguest idea what a scorpion looks like. (No claws, four GIANT eyes on stalks, and a single huge pincer on the tail. The description implies it has the usual array of appendages for a scorpion.)

SCREAK
A hunting falcon for goblins. It screams when it finds people.

SEAMSTRESS
The Seamstress is a unique sorceress/witch who steals the skins and body parts from children to make a skin-suit she can wear. Her tits are not perfect, which is a refreshing change.

SHURULL
Insect-rhino centaur people. They have giant claws instead of hands, but have at-will telekinesis instead. They're peaceful, artistic, generous, and spiritual. They feel that technology and imperialism will plunge the world into barbarism.

Every 60-80 years they gather together into a swarm thousands strong led by level 10-20 rangers and druids, and lay waste to a city. Buildings thrown down, all inhabitants butchered. Why? Who knows!

SKELETAL WARDEN
Death knights. As with the dragons, there are only 12 and all of them are detailed here. Unlike the dragons, they only get one monster entry.

SLIME
Some slimes. Like the golden ooze from earlier, they have a wide variety of things they're immune to, things they're resistant to, things they can't dissolve, things they can dissolve, and other quirks. Quite apart from that:

Azure Slime inflates into a giant ball when prey approaches, sucking the air out of the room. If popped it sprays acid everywhere. Crimson Slime is like green slime but it's made of muscle tissue.

SPECTRE, BATTLE
PTSD: The Monster!

It haunts veterans and gives them flashbacks and hallucinations until they finally snap and try to murder someone. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a monster which preys on people with PTSD, or an embodiment of PTSD. I don't think I like either option?

SPINE WORM
It's a spine-looking worm which attaches itself to humanoid victims and steals control of their bodies by attaching itself to the spinal column. If it gets a hold on you, you have three rounds to get rid of it or its insta-death time. Oh, and anyone attacking it while it's on you will do damage to you in the process. Low-level wizards may well die of hp damage before the thing gets a chance to puppet them around.

I'd stick these in the same category as stirges: kind of glass cannons which are fragile but can do a surprising amount of damage if the dice roll hot for the GM.

THRALLBORN
A sorceress -- a different one to the one who created the ambulators -- made a bunch of these things by hoiking madness out of people, binding it into physical form, then letting them capture living humanoids which they can dismember and possess.

O...kay? Glossing over the reductive concept of mental illness at the root of this monster, I can't help but think 'madness given form and jammed into assorted corpses' should have stats a bit more evocative than '4-HD tentacle monsters with some interesting movement options'.

TUATARAN
Three-eyed humanoids who can use their eyes to shoot spell-like abilities. One does hp damage. One swaps the souls of two people (temporarily), dropping them into each others' bodies with no warning. The third blasts everyone within 20 feet -- including the user -- to a random outer plane, no save. The tuataran can reverse the power a few hours later, but that affects everyone hit by the initial blast and returns them all to the location they came from. You can get some interesting plot hooks out of that last power, so these monsters get a pass.

TUTOR
The tutor is a unique monster that kidnaps lovers and forces them to fight to the death. When the fight is concluded it either kills the victor (if it's the woman) or castrates them (if it's the man).

If this sounds familiar it's because the acronical, the very first monster in the book, does exactly the same thing. The key difference is that the acronicals are natural ('natural') monsters and the Tutor was created by a woman whose man cheated on her and broke her heart.

VARGR
The ghosts of slain war dogs. They hunt people who hurt animals or animal-like monsters, or who eat meat while nearby. On a critical hit they deal permanent Dex damage. Eh.

VOMITORIAN
A giant blue dude with only a few HD and a colossal pile of at-will spell-like powers including the murderous blindness and suggestion. It vomits up yellow gribblies which flail about and throw themselves at enemies.

Have you missed ridiculous, convoluted plans which can't possibly work and wouldn't achieve the monster's goals even if they could work? Yes? Have a gift.

A vomitorian destroys human communities by disguising itself as a human, infiltrating the community, killing and impersonating one of the leaders of the community, waiting for night, killing all the guards, blocking all the exits, then using its various powers to make people relive their most terrible experiences. These visions are harmless but traumatising, so the vomitorian then convinces the townspeople to riot or hang a person or two. Then... I don't know. No more plan is detailed. It's just 'Step 2: ???, Step 3: Ruination!'

While the vomitorian does have all the necessary spell-like abilities to carry out this plan, it's such a convoluted mess that it can't possibly work. I mean it's 3+3 HD and has decently powerful fists, plus the ability to yak up a limitless supply of yellow blobs -- it could massacre a village way more efficiently with straightforward physical violence than it ever could with manipulation and hallucinations.

XARUALAC

The Teratic Tome posted:

A gruesome undead entity, the xarualac appears as a humanoid with long stringy hair and a mouth that takes up its entire face. In place of legs, it has a second pair of arms; all four hands feature long fingers tipped with talons. There's a large orifice in the xarualac's belly, and four bladders full of air float beside it.

This is the spirit of a musician who loved music too much to move on. It kills rich people and makes a self-playing instrument out of their body parts. Because nothing says 'music lover' like becoming a distorted form of undead which dismembers the wealthy?

ZOMBIE, VERMINATED
A tiny domestic animal, now a zombie. A zombie with undead fleas which spread a rotting plague which turns you into a zombie unless you get a relatively high-level curative spell. This is right up with rot grubs as a gently caress you monster.

And that's all the monsters!

Next Time: Some commentary from yours truly.

STATS
Monsters: 116
Female Monsters: 14 (I'm deliberately skipping unique female NPCs for this count)
Female Monsters With Their Tits Out: 16 (I'm including unique female NPCs in this one though.)
Anti-Theist Monsters: 9
Worm Monsters: 4

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Should have made a counter of monsters with snakes/tentacles instead of arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

White Coke posted:

Because Violence and Nihilism are Bad and Wrong. You can't fight the Imperium and change things for the better if that's all you care about.

Also you said the +2 initiative humans get is because they know they need to get the drop on Space Marines if they want to survive, is that from the book or your observation? Because if its something the book said I hope they were smart enough to do more with that idea. Having skills and talents exclusively for humans to deal with Space Marines would be hilarious. Not just combat, but being better at manipulating the arrogance the post-human supermen feel over the puny humans.

It's pretty much how the book puts it. Humans, unlike Marines, know they need to be quick on the draw and ready for trouble at all times; they don't have the luxury of thinking they're invincible. While you don't get special abilities to deal with Marines specifically it's a running theme in the book that Marines are kind of Chaos's default golden boys who think they're the best ever and then arrogantly proclaim their invincibility moments before getting it clarified that a missile launcher or plasma gun can and will deal with their vaunted armor and durability.