Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

bronin posted:

battery drains faster than normal, phone gets warm. Or really obvious an app hangs completely.

I meant how do you even notice how your coworker is using their phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Wheany posted:

I stood next to her and she did the thing?

Edit: and before there’s someone saying I shouldn’t spy on other people’s phones: She asks me stuff about her phone. I show her stuff. That’s how I noticed.

bronin fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 26, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

some of them never get off it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

“as an engineer I understand why my computer sometimes wakes up quickly and sometimes wakes up slowly so it’s fine” is not an argument that works on Apple product managers.

iPads don’t have this issue, why should laptops? I’ll leave it as an exercise to the reader to identify the problem and how Apple will fix it

sometimes mbp woke quick so

DELETE CASCADE posted:

if you leave your laptop unplugged and in ram-using sleep mode (ie not hibernate to disk) for long periods then you are an idiot

are you gonna complain if you leave your car battery on overnight and it drains even though you weren't "doing anything" with the car

especially when the solution is so simple: don't be a moron and do the thing you are supposed to do with the thing

use lappy: lid open

not use lappy: lid closed

anymore than this is eXXXTREME janitoring

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i presume a mbp still does disk hibernation if the battery would actually just cut out (losing state) otherwise, and i suspect people who run down their battery to that extent would be pretty easily convinced of the wisdom of the restore if it is just made clearly different from waking up from normal sleep

realistically apple does not want to make additional variants though, which is legitimately annoying, but it sure wouldn't make sense to make *all* mbps less battery-efficient just to sell a fraction of them actually with more than 16 gigs of ram

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
have mbp be PRO and then mbc ie Mac book common which is nit 85 gigs

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

realistically apple does not want to make additional variants though

ipad group must've lost that memo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

some of them never get off it?

yes, that answers the question "how often they are using their phones"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

yes, that answers the question "how often they are using their phones"

yes?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyways, is there really no loving way to transfer mail.app accounts from iphone to ipad

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
what does your heart tell you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

what does your heart tell you

that I’m bound to spend half an hour configuring poo poo on ipad too

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
it just works

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
the only time my iPhone gets rebooted is when I install an iOS update, y’all are some brokebrained motherfuckers

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

apple thread:

coke posted:

that's why every morning you should

- go into app store, make sure all the apps are updated for the day
- kill all background/frozen apps with the long hold on the X and swipe up motion
- go into settings/icloud/backup and run a backup
- wait till the backup is complete, turn off wifi manually in settings because control center is garbage
- swipe away settings
- shutdown the iphone x by holding the lock button and volume up and swipe to turn off

- fresh boot

never had any battery problems with any iphones with the fresh boot method every morning especially with the background app disabled completely

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

coke posted:

that's why every morning you should

- go into app store, make sure all the apps are updated for the day
- kill all background/frozen apps with the long hold on the X and swipe up motion
- go into settings/icloud/backup and run a backup
- wait till the backup is complete, turn off wifi manually in settings because control center is garbage
- swipe away settings
- shutdown the iphone x by holding the lock button and volume up and swipe to turn off

- fresh boot

never had any battery problems with any iphones with the fresh boot method every morning especially with the background app disabled completely

lol y'all fell for this :sadcoke:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I did not.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

my hp elitesomething work laptop takes longer to wake up from "hibernate" than it does to cold boot from power off

I don't think I've ever even tried to make mine hibernate. it's either on or off.

infernal machines posted:

hp makes bad computers, news at 11
agreed. I think our next hardware refresh gets us lenovos. they may have been smart enough this time to give us ssd instead of fuckin hard drives like our hp shitebooks

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the only time my iPhone gets rebooted is when I install an iOS update, y’all are some brokebrained motherfuckers

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my work :pcgaming:hp probook:pcgaming: has a slow HDD and it make me want to kill myself

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my work :pcgaming:hp probook:pcgaming: has a slow HDD and it make me want to kill myself

you should kill whomever values your time so little they don’t give you an ssd

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyways, is there really no loving way to transfer mail.app accounts from iphone to ipad

by hand lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i thought if you restored one from the other, all the mail accounts transfer

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I’ve found that some apps, such as Facebook, has a noticeable impact on battery life even when in background though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

delete facebook app, use mobile website instead

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
just don't use facebook

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

delete Facebook account, use human contact instead

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

I don't think I've ever even tried to make mine hibernate. it's either on or off.

if I leave it on the other one it drains the battery in 6-7 hours

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fiedler posted:

just don't use facebook

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Endless Mike posted:

i thought if you restored one from the other, all the mail accounts transfer

I don’t know I just used the “set up your iPad from your iPhone” option that popped up automatically and did not do anything with my mail accounts

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Last Chance posted:

i used to do this because i refused to install a separate app to view facebook messages and then they got wise and disabled that functionality through the mobile site so i just dont use my account at all anymore

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

NEED MORE MILK posted:

i used to do this because i refused to install a separate app to view facebook messages and then they got wise and disabled that functionality through the mobile site so i just dont use my account at all anymore

if you press the share button, and then press request desktop site, you should be able to see them. i think i had to reload a time or two, but it works enough.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

coke posted:

oh yeah those are a given

have your iphone x plugged in already and fully charged when you go through every step

unplug only after the last step of fresh reboot with passcode entered and everything, if you unplug before the phone is booted, the battery meter doesn't seem to calibrate properly and wont know how long you have been on battery power

also get a good 5 volt / 500 mA USB charger to make sure you dont end up fast charging your battery with high current for nothing

since you are most likely leaving it plugged in overnight anyway and ends with float charging, which might degrade the battery faster

you forgot to mention having power saver enabled 24/7, solid B troll though

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
tim ship the murdered out iphone5-style iphonese2

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

IUG posted:

if you press the share button, and then press request desktop site, you should be able to see them. i think i had to reload a time or two, but it works enough.

fun ui question: why the gently caress is "request desktop site" under "share"?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

its also an option when you longpress refresh

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

I’ve found that some apps, such as Facebook, has a noticeable impact on battery life even when in background though

facebook and some other apps do some real scammy poo poo to try to keep iOS running them in the background instead of suspending them. IIRC one thing FB app was caught doing was setting up geofences so that every time you moved far enough the app would get woken up in the background (meant for mapping apps and poo poo).

also apps like Facebook use iOS’ background app refresh, which wakes the app up every X minutes so that it can pull down the latest posts or whatever in the background, so the app has the latest ContentTM ready to go when you open it. you can disable this entirely or on per-app basis in settings.

honestly, if you have to use a given social media platform, try to use the mobile website instead of the app if you can, since they’re heavily incentivized to have their apps do all kinds of bullshit that should get them kicked off the App Store (but doesn’t).

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

it’s the “action” button, not the “share” button. some sharing options are in there once you hit it, but the button style is UIActionButton.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

i don't know, but i also might be giving that icon the wrong name. the one with the arrow pointing up straight out of a box.

edit:

Doc Block posted:

it’s the “action” button, not the “share” button. some sharing options are in there once you hit it, but the button style is UIActionButton.

there we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
ios 11 offloading apps is real good for garbage like skype which i do not usually want on my phone, but want to remember credentials for the twice a year i actually need to reinstall + use it

gj apple