Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wooper posted:

Besides lost expeditions I think there is series potential for some of the not so lost ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nansen%27s_Fram_expedition

Several of the Antarctic ones are rife with drama. With returning characters as well.

I'll not witness the death of Mrs. Chippy on cable Tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be fine if it were just an anthology series where each season is a different mashup of history and monsters. If they wanted to keep it as similar as possible, a failed Everest or K2 expedition with yetis would fit the bill, where they could explore then Nepalese mythology behind the yeti rather than our modern conception of it. Or just adapt At the Mountains of Madness.

And I'd be fine if they didn't go snowy with another season, just new mashups of history and monsters. Any number of ill-fated expeditions would work.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I could totally see a season dealing with the Roanoke colony. Or Dyatlov pass. Hell, there's a whole lot of mysteries in history that have never seen a competently done film/tv adaptation.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

give me the conquistadors searching the jungles for gold

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All of these, please.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

If they wanted to keep it as similar as possible, a failed Everest or K2 expedition with yetis would fit the bill

This is literally the plot of The Abominable, another novel by Dan Simmons.

It's...not very good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

I could totally see a season dealing with the Roanoke colony. Or Dyatlov pass. Hell, there's a whole lot of mysteries in history that have never seen a competently done film/tv adaptation.

American Horror Story did Roanoke recently and it was a completely wasted opportunity. I was extremely disappointed.

feedmyleg posted:

Or just adapt At the Mountains of Madness.

I'd rather not see At the Mountains of Madness unless it's a either a seriously budgeted blockbuster film, or at least a huge HBO project that they throw all their weight behind like GoT. I don't want to see a half-assed version of that story, for now I'm ok with just having Ridley Scott's Prometheus as the next best thing.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Basebf555 posted:

American Horror Story did Roanoke recently and it was a completely wasted opportunity. I was extremely disappointed.

So I take it that's not worth watching? I gave up on AHS when I hit the witch season.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bloom posted:

So I take it that's not worth watching? I gave up on AHS when I hit the witch season.

There are some good things about it but yea I'd say you can skip it if you're already feeling done with AHS. If you're just looking for an interesting take on the Roanoke story then definitely skip it.

AHS Hotel was pretty good though, I'd recommend that before Roanoke.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

bloom posted:

Roanoke was half a season of "what the gently caress is the point of this gimmick" and then another half laughing hysterically once you :airquote: get :airquote: the gimmick and just watch everyone die...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Care to spoil it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Care to spoil it?

The entire first half of the season is a faux documentary where you have actors playing roles in a "reenactment" of events while the "real" people are interviewed in that talking head documentary style. Then at the halfway point the reenactment ends and they do a followup story where the "actors" from the original reenactment go back to the real house and spend a night there with the actual people who experienced the original events. Needless to say, they all get horrifically slaughtered.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is, indeed, very dumb and squanders every decent possibility.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

That is, indeed, very dumb and squanders every decent possibility.

The actual connection to the original Roanoke colony is a complete afterthought, it really has very little to do with the main storyline of the season. Complete waste.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This mask resembles evil mountain-dwelling tuunraq spirits that pursued and devoured hunters. The creatures have twisted faces, asymmetrical eyes, and mouths that are red or splattered with blood. Shamans employed tuunrat as helping spirits and made masks to represent them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, if the bear's face had been all hosed up like that I would've loved the creature design.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Even googling Tuunbaq has a ton of amazing ideas for the bear design. In a show that is meticulous about so many things and has a powerhouse of acting and characters, it's just disappointing... the show is so good, it was just so close to being so much better.

Spoilers through end of show:

Best moment in the entire series: "Forks!"
Best episode: A Mercy, the one with the carnivale. Start to finish the episode was just perfect.

I really loved the writing behind the ending... I just wish tuunbaq looked like more like a hosed up polar bear. You can take as Mr. Blanky's forks have crippled a bear and the captain pulling a chain which is tugging on the forks and rope inside rips apart it's inards, and like a bear should, it eats the gently caress outta Mr. Hickey's bloodied tongue-arm. Or you can take it as tuunbaq the god is poisoned by Mr. Hickey's evil soul.

Adam Nagaitis (Mr. Hickey) was phenomenal and I'm hoping he gets a bigger role.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Also, here's one of those virgin/chad memes that I laughed about, which contains spoilers for those who haven't watched past the release schedule
https://i.imgur.com/ogGXRzW.png

This should be in the OP.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Is the AMC app total garbage for anyone else? Episode 1 is available for 4 more days but episode two is "locked" already (idk why its limited at all).

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

lmao

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Tuunbaq looked appropriately hosed up I thought. It looked like a really twisted and weird polar bear with a hosed up face

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, if the bear's face had been all hosed up like that I would've loved the creature design.

Here's a storyboard image from the scene with the first reveal

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Fartbox posted:

Tuunbaq looked appropriately hosed up I thought. It looked like a really twisted and weird polar bear with a hosed up face

Looks like the monkey. :tinfoil:

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
Tuunbaq’s nose really throws the whole look off for me. It’s more of a teddy bear nose and it looks out of place.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

bloom posted:

Roanoke would be interesting, Dylatov pass would probably just be one episode from the way it played out.

If you haven't already, Futility Closet is a great podcast that looks at interesting bits of history - ranges from unsettling unsolved mysteries to quirky things.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 28, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Chad Ice Master vs. the Virgin Tuunbaq was hilarious.

Also Tuunbaq gets rejected by Lady Silence despite bringing gifts.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

Also Tuunbaq gets rejected by Lady Silence despite bringing gifts.

Tuunbaq is on LS's eskimo ghost phone as "free dinner"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bloom posted:

Tuunbaq is on LS's eskimo ghost phone as "free dinner"

Funnily enough, that's what Tuunbaq has the Terror's crew down as too.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Funnily enough, that's what Tuunbaq has the Terror's crew down as too.

I see which side of the Incel Rebellion Tuunbaq naturally is on.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Like a true incel failson, Tuunbaq reacts to being turned down by binging on unhealthy fast food.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They weren't that fast or he wouldn't have caught them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think the show was a good example of how not showing the creature is often the better approach since it ended up looking goofy especially when getting clowned on by the Chad Ice master.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

give me the conquistadors searching the jungles for gold

That would be great. Really I just hope we get anything similar to this though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CODChimera posted:

That would be great. Really I just hope we get anything similar to this though.

It already got made through Aguirre the Wrath of God.

The spooky diving bit was my favorite scene so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYg8rEDT1RU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

etalian posted:

I think the show was a good example of how not showing the creature is often the better approach since it ended up looking goofy especially when getting clowned on by the Chad Ice master.

Anything is foppish and clownlike when faced by the badassery of Mr Blanky.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good thing the show is done after this season and that these dumb goon anthology ideas aren't coming to pass

Its adapting a book, not a pulp magazine, any future anthology would be poo poo, like game of thrones after they stopped adapting the books

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm now on a lookout for both Blanky's sweater and also the officers' double breasted sweaters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lemme know if you find them, those sweaters were 🔥

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Phi230 posted:

It's a good thing the show is done after this season and that these dumb goon anthology ideas aren't coming to pass

Its adapting a book, not a pulp magazine, any future anthology would be poo poo, like game of thrones after they stopped adapting the books

Yeah, not like any impossibly crazy poo poo happened in real world explorations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Phi230 posted:

Sorry to hear about your lame un-lost expedition.