Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, remember that one whiny video I linked? Well, he's made a follow-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Vinylshadow posted:

Would've been so much better had they used Kalani and had a nice big Clone Wars-style space battle between TIE Fighters and Droid Starfighters to close out the series

I would have gotten a kick out of that because on the Legends book Outbound Flight Thrawn uses droid fighters in typical fashion to do some crazy battle move and beat what is basically four or five star destroyers tied together with their own droid fighters. Space Whales was the better choice by Ezra since Thrawn's got a deep history in both current canon and Legends of using droids and tech to his advantage, though if you go back to his debut he was using biohacks to beat force users so there is that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

VolticSurge posted:

So, remember that one whiny video I linked? Well, he's made a follow-up.

Yeah nobody really needs 50 minutes of some tedious nerdlinger droning on to figure out what's wrong with Rebels. The characters are boring, the things they do are boring, the models are ugly, and the settings are drab and empty. It's all pretty straightforward.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I wish I could take back the 1 view I gave that dude for even clicking play for 10 seconds of that video.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just recently finished Rebels. I was kinda nervous when they introduced Thrawn just because I felt like he is kind of a Vader sort of presence. Either he is written as overpowered as the character demands or he makes bad decisions to let them escape which would be somewhat uncharacteristic. Most of the major blows the Rebels scored were more because he was off taking care of something important and Pryce / some lieutenant hosed it up or he encountered something as strong as Bendu, which is hard to account for.

Anyway, amazing show and I'm sad its over. Also, that fight with Vader and Ahsoka, and Vader is just flying in on top of his tie. I love how arrogant it is and how perfect for Vader it is.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

:siren: NEW SHOW ALERT :siren:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-resistance-is-the-next-lucasfilm-animated-ser-1825546331

quote:

Announced by Lucasfilm today, Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Rebels producer Dave Filoni’s next project will be Star Wars Resistance.

Set in what is described by the company as an “uncharted time frame prior to The Force Awakens,” the “anime-inspired” Resistance will follow a young pilot named Kazuda Xiono, recruited by General Leia Organa’s burgeoning Resistance for a top-secret surveillance mission to survey the growing power of the First Order. The series will focus on Kazuda and a cast of ace pilots, but will also feature familiar faces from the sequel trilogy in the form of BB-8, Poe Dameron, and Captain Phasma, with both Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie reprising their respective roles for the series.

quote:

According to Filoni—who will executive produce the series alongside Rebels veterans Athena Portillo and Justin Ridge, as well as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Brandon Auman—the series will focus on the high-flying, high-speed adventures of the galaxy far, far away’s daring pilots:

"The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots. My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spoiler: Kazuda Xiono ends up dying during the escape of D'Qar *sad horn*

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I am 1000% down for Porco Rosso: A Star Wars Story.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Donald Faison is on the cast! Where do you know that name from, you may ask?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I see filoni already has his mutant animals expert lined up for the ending of his new series

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Filoni: "Can I do a Wraith Squadron series?"
Kennedy: "No."
Filoni: "Rogue Squadron?"
Filoni: "Luke Skywalker and The Blue Squadron?"
Filoni: "Something like Rebels, but with lots of fighters that you can sell as toys?"
Kennedy:"Ugh, fine."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Guaranteeing another +6 waves worth of relevant releases not dredged out of the bottom of Legends-EU for FFG's Star Wars: X-Wing

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

NTRabbit posted:

Guaranteeing another +6 waves worth of relevant releases not dredged out of the bottom of Legends-EU for FFG's Star Wars: X-Wing
Eh, I actually hope so because the show would be drat boring if all we saw were the ships from the new trilogy. Oooh, "new" X-Wings vs. "new" Tie Fighters and... a couple A-Wings and some clunky WWII-looking bombers and land-based sand skimmers? I guess that's about it?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gently caress anime

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

banned from Starbucks posted:

gently caress anime

:emptyquote:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

No, that's just a subset of animation from Japan. Most aren't about loving at all.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wonder it'll be even more for kids than Rebels.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

To me this sounds like Filoni finally taking the opportunity to mash up Star Wars with his Robotech influences. I’m in!

Think this will be classic 2D animation, or cel-shaded 3D? I’d put money on the latter.

Funny thing about Donald Faison: he was at the Rebels finale screening as a fan and bugged Filoni at the Q&A about what the next series would be. We should’ve guessed he was already onboard.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DancinBrud posted:

To me this sounds like Filoni finally taking the opportunity to mash up Star Wars with his Robotech influences. I’m in!

Think this will be classic 2D animation, or cel-shaded 3D? I’d put money on the latter.

Funny thing about Donald Faison: he was at the Rebels finale screening as a fan and bugged Filoni at the Q&A about what the next series would be. We should’ve guessed he was already onboard.

Robotech? Mutant turtles?

Star Wars: Resistance, more like Star Wars: RIFTS

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I want my ahsoka x sabine romance among the stars show goddamnit

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just hope they actually put some money into it so it doesn’t end up looking like some z-tier funimation show. Give me those clean Ghibli lines and colors.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine not liking anime

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Any adult posting in a thread for a literal children's cartoon has no leg to stand on when it comes to having opinions on whether anime as a whole is bad

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My problem is not whether anime is good or bad. My problem is when it looks extremely cheap and ugly, like a Jim Lee sketch. Put some money into it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My problem is not whether anime is good or bad. My problem is when it looks extremely cheap and ugly, like a Jim Lee sketch. Put some money into it.

That's the real question, isn't it? Now, if only they had the bankrolling of a huge entertainment conglomerate...

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I’m sure the budget will be exactly in line with the budget of Rebels. The first season will feel sparse but as time goes along they’ll build up their library of assets. This is exactly how every animated series bankrolled by a corporation (instead of an eccentric billionaire) will look from here on out, and there’s zero reason to expect otherwise.

I’m also betting one of the cast members is going to be Jacen Syndulla. Fits with the Robotech vibe.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

site posted:

Yeah, where's my Ahsoka/Sabine buddy cop show Filoni? :mad:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Since Filoni is only listed as an EP, I imagine this isn’t his Rebels follow-up. Wouldn’t be surprised to see that announced either after this premieres or at Celebration 2019.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I think this is just his role now. He was the person quoted in the press release. Everything still started and ended with him even after he moved up from being supervising director on Rebels.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

site posted:

Any adult posting in a thread for a literal children's cartoon has no leg to stand on when it comes to having opinions on whether anime as a whole is bad

Mmhmm...mmhm...*notices anime avatar* *disregards opinion as trash*

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Mild disdain I have for the sequel trilogy aside, I'm tentatively excited. Filoni's pulled off two good Star Wars shows so he's earned enough goodwill for what seems like an obvious passion project.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I assume this show will fix some of my gripes about the sequel trilogy sort of like clone wars did for the prequels

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jim Rash is listed in the cast, so i'm double sold.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Jim Rash was born to play a neurotic droid

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Fingers crossed that Jim Rash’s neurotic droid is a TA at the flight academy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
yea that's pretty perfect casting if he's a C3PO style droid.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

site posted:

I don't see why we can't have this in Resistance. :getin:

(I don't read the Star Wars comics, but I'm still not over the Dr. Aphra/Hera stuff posted in here a while back either.)

Finally, holy poo poo Jim Rash! Donald Faison bringing his enthusiasm is delightful too. :3: I'm so ready for cool space dogfights and emotions!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

There is a whole slew of Marvel anime that is exhibit A.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
As a big fan of both anime and all the rogue squadron books, and how starfighters were typically portrayed in the movies and other books as well, I'm very much on board for this. I might actually catch every episode of this one instead of tuning in and out for random episodes, which was how I approached Rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If Resistance captures the spirit of the Rogue Squadron books, I suspect that'll calm a few Legends fans

Wedge briefly showed up in the Aftermath books, so I wonder if he'll reappear here as well...

• Locked thread