Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Seven minutes! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Holden has gone full beta

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cortyar nooo

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
OH poo poo!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:rip: south america

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill em all!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
you’re right, we’re not going to be friends

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hexel posted:

Holden has gone full beta

The virgin Holden vs the Chad Amos

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill em all!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Avasarala continues to own.

He was really sorry :(

Hexel posted:

:rip: south america

2 million out of how many billion? Just a fleshwound :v:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
When do new episodes appear on syfy.com? I missed the one stupid episode window airing (gently caress not repeating it, really).

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This episode had everything, was on the literal edge of my seat

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I feel like I'm missing out on some of the tension just because the end of the semester has me doing homework while watching. That or the commercials

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The scale of the human tragedy in this episode was so much greater than Eros... It's kind of mind boggling that two million civilians being killed can seem anything other than an incomprehensible tragedy.

I'm totally on board with Anna's plot here. It's actually really compelling. Errinwright has become such a shitbag villain... but we saw how he got here. The guy made choices, and now he's got to double down. It's hosed.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!

Eiba posted:

The scale of the human tragedy in this episode was so much greater than Eros... It's kind of mind boggling that two million civilians being killed can seem anything other than an incomprehensible tragedy.

I'm totally on board with Anna's plot here. It's actually really compelling. Errinwright has become such a shitbag villain... but we saw how he got here. The guy made choices, and now he's got to double down. It's hosed.

I was down on Anna last week, but it was because her parts were slow, but this was great. The Secretary General is such a poo poo though. He only listens to the last person he speaks to like Trump.

It was nice to see Errinwright be absolutely shocked at what happened, though. It's awesome that the two villains had kind of the same moment. Errinwright with 2 million people dying and Mao with realizing the weight of using kids for his science experiment. Errinwright doubles down on his fuckup while Mao is seemingly having a change of heart.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I gotta say this show is killing it with the casting. Both Mao's and Errinwright's actors nailed their "holy poo poo i've gone too far" moments. Ana is excellent even though she could very easily come across as overly preachy.

Also I would be so down for a spinoff that's nothing but Amos and Avasarala talking for 45 minutes a week. "I didn't always work in space" :allears:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

theCalamity posted:

It was nice to see Errinwright be absolutely shocked at what happened, though. It's awesome that the two villains had kind of the same moment. Errinwright with 2 million people dying and Mao with realizing the weight of using kids for his science experiment. Errinwright doubles down on his fuckup while Mao is seemingly having a change of heart.

Yeah, watching Mao get gutpunched throughout the episode as he watched/interacted with Mei, clearly remembering Julie, was great.

bloom posted:

"I didn't always work in space" :allears:

This was perfect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Plenty of leaders in the Cold War would have made that trade.

theCalamity posted:

They had the devil on the shoulder (Errinwright/Strickland) parallel, too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Planetary defence railguns, I was right :toot: I also liked how much less impressive the Agatha King looked compared to the Donnager, inside and out

theCalamity posted:

I was down on Anna last week, but it was because her parts were slow, but this was great. The Secretary General is such a poo poo though. He only listens to the last person he speaks to like Trump.

Except Errinwright immediately absolved himself of the blame and felt totally guilt free when the power cycling report came in that let him mentally shift the blame to the SG

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 26, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The timing on that war room scene was nonsensical. It takes a while for even light itself to travel that distance.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I liked that Holden still has an old Pure&Kleen t-shirt laying around.

Platystemon posted:

The timing on that war room scene was nonsensical. It takes a while for even light itself to travel that distance.

I think this is one of those situations where you just have to toss out science for the sake of storytelling.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

bloom posted:

I liked that Holden still has an old Pure&Kleen t-shirt laying around.

I think this is one of those situations where you just have to toss out science for the sake of storytelling.

Would a railgun round be visible at those distances? I'm wondering whether the simultaneous attack would have worked at all in real life, or if the Martians would have had hours (more?) to fire off first strike nukes.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Pretend that the first strike platforms were slaved in a way that would begin launch if any of the others were destroyed. That way, no command would need to come from Mars.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Phenotype posted:

Would a railgun round be visible at those distances? I'm wondering whether the simultaneous attack would have worked at all in real life, or if the Martians would have had hours (more?) to fire off first strike nukes.

In the books it is explained that rail gun rounds travel at a a speed that approaches C. So no, you're not going to see something coming at you at a speed that is indeterminate from that of light.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Semi-hard sci fi

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Milo and POTUS posted:

Semi-hard sci fi

He didn't always work in space :wiggle:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i ship sgt. draper and amos so hard

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Took me until this episode to notice that the fleet admiral was Yao Fei in Arrow. Heh.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

There's a lot in the show especially that doesn't make sense if you look too closely at it from a hard sci-fi perspective. The notion that the missile platforms could be hidden, and once found, be "lost" if they move makes no sense, same for the Roci somehow being able to "lose" the tracking of the UN or Mars, and then be compromised (except to the person they're communicating with) if they took or sent a tightbeam transmission.

Stealth in space aside from some very niche cases doesn't exist, and the idea of railgun platforms on Earth being able to snipe the Martian platforms without any warning is also complete nonsense if you're being 100% grounded in reality.

That said, it'd be really boring TV to be completely realistic, so I'm fine with their bizzaro space world where things aren't perfectly accurate if it's generally consistent within its own rules.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I generally assume that there's some technobabble you could justify it with but no one wants to see it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If one of those Martian stealth first strike missile platforms wasn't called Red October in the script, then they are devoid of joy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

my thought is that mars has to have some sort of other ability to wipe out most of earth (even just slam rocks into it, poo poo a railgun aimed at NYC wouldn't be fun times for the city) and why wouldn't they interpret this as prelude to a first strike

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

in a cold/lukewarm-war the USSR mars certainly would interpret this a first strike and retaliate accordingly, Errinwright's one of those people who don't consider this possible, since he is on the side of Righteousnesstm

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

If those platforms were Mar's main deterrent threat, they're really bad at deterrence. A bunch of large missile platforms a long ways from Earth when you're the only power who has access to large amounts of stealth composites shows a real failure of imagination.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm assuming that mars has IPBMs in surface silos like earth has, and ironically they might stay their hand because Buenos Aires was pulverized.

Or mars might not, we'll see next episode.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

my thought is that mars has to have some sort of other ability to wipe out most of earth (even just slam rocks into it, poo poo a railgun aimed at NYC wouldn't be fun times for the city) and why wouldn't they interpret this as prelude to a first strike

One of the conversations in the first season (or the first book? either or) illustrates the ludicrousness of the situation. Anybody with enough thrust can just spin up an asteroid to intersect with either Earth or Mars and kill the planet.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's time to get ceres' (population) back to earth!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

One of the conversations in the first season (or the first book? either or) illustrates the ludicrousness of the situation. Anybody with enough thrust can just spin up an asteroid to intersect with either Earth or Mars and kill the planet.

this does require getting a ship out there and launching it on a ballistic trajectory towards earth so it's less reliable than stealth super nukes, so theoretically taking out the stealth platforms is technically a win for earth. it's just all very dr. strangelove.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

but why have a doomsday weapon and not tell everyone about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

literally errinwright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuP6KbIsNK4