Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

G-Spot Run posted:

Speaking of I'm pretty sure I need to root my pixel to block YouTube ads? Anybody have a recommend app or guide?

You could just use Firefox with an ad blocker. It's not as nice as using the Youtube app, but this should at least kill the ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Buy YouTube red

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vyst posted:

Buy YouTube red

I'm not even from outside the US and this is starting to grate on me. YouTube Red is not available in a lot of places.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

But if you are it's a good option. I mean, should it not be mentioned at all?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm not even from outside the US and this is starting to grate on me. YouTube Red is not available in a lot of places.

It's a solution. Don't live in the US? Then I guess the solution won't work for you. It happens. No need to get frustrated at words on the Internet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a good solution and it should be mentioned, it's just not a silver bullet solution for a good portion of the internet and shouldn't be a matter of fact "just buy this thing that you can't."

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

vyst posted:

Buy YouTube red

Google play music Youtube Remix

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It'd be cool if Youtube Red actually had good exclusive content. All they do is work with ~youtube stars~ who are objectively awful like PewDiePie. I've had Red since it came out and I've literally never clicked a single one of the exclusive videos before. Make something worth watching, dammit!

That said, it's still a great deal with no ads + GPM. If you can get it, you should.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'd love to know how they landed on the name YouTube Red when RedTube was already a thing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Thermopyle posted:

But if you are it's a good option. I mean, should it not be mentioned at all?

it was already mentioned just a few posts ago, in response to the same OP's question. i agree with Internet Explorer that people bleating about it repeatedly in the responses to the same person, is grating

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Maybe move? idk, YT owns.

That's my story.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That was the only good thing about my old Windows phone, third party YouTube apps that block ads automatically and even let you download and queue videos while supporting Chromecast.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Any suggestions for something to listen to mp3 audiobook files with? Looking for something that can remember position between listenings, and ideally can be set up to interpret bluetooth commands as back/forward a few seconds instead of next/previous file. If I could just add loose files to pocketcasts that'd pretty much do what I want.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How do you send images as attachments in Outlook? When I try (either adding it as an image or picking it as a file from the file explorer), Outlook puts them in the body of the email.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

ElegantFugue posted:

Any suggestions for something to listen to mp3 audiobook files with? Looking for something that can remember position between listenings, and ideally can be set up to interpret bluetooth commands as back/forward a few seconds instead of next/previous file. If I could just add loose files to pocketcasts that'd pretty much do what I want.

You can

http://support.pocketcasts.com/article/adding-custom-episodes/

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Taffer posted:

It'd be cool if Youtube Red actually had good exclusive content. All they do is work with ~youtube stars~ who are objectively awful like PewDiePie. I've had Red since it came out and I've literally never clicked a single one of the exclusive videos before. Make something worth watching, dammit!

That said, it's still a great deal with no ads + GPM. If you can get it, you should.
They dropped PDP after his last super awful thing, cancelled the season of stuff. The real bonus is the Google Play Music sub you get with it.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Yay, thank you!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

minusX posted:

They dropped PDP after his last super awful thing, cancelled the season of stuff. The real bonus is the Google Play Music sub you get with it.

Yeah, but the other content is made by other YouTube "stars" that are pretty drat similar. Unless they finally changed their strategy?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google play music seems like it may be going away for yet a new music subscription service thats not YouTube music and instead called YouTube Remix.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/04/24/youtube-remix-google-play-music/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

But I really like Google play music :saddowns:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
There will likely be next to zero functionality change and seems to me 100% rebranding. No one knows what GPM is. Everyone knows what Spotify is. Everyone knows what YouTube is so why not just make Music a function of YouTube?

:shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

There will likely be next to zero functionality change and seems to me 100% rebranding. No one knows what GPM is. Everyone knows what Spotify is. Everyone knows what YouTube is so why not just make Music a function of YouTube?

:shrug:

Yeah Google is well-known for just updating things with new names and not releasing all-new apps with less functionality and running them side by side for awhile before sunsetting one or even both.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

All I know is if they remove the ability to upload songs I'm peaceing right the gently caress out to Spotify.

They do need to improve their curation so I'm on board with them investing energy into it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

vyst posted:

All I know is if they remove the ability to upload songs I'm peaceing right the gently caress out to Spotify.

They do need to improve their curation so I'm on board with them investing energy into it.

Definitely bailing of they remove that.

I'd love my likes and plays on my phone to sync with my webview. It never has and I don't know why. It'd be nice to see it get some attention.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i'd only be sad if i lost my grandfathered pricing. i'd still pay whatever though, watching youtube on anyone else's account is basically non stop ad cancer and I can't be bothered with the typical hacky dumb poo poo to get around ads.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
youtube red works in like 4 or 5 countries while google play music works in :

quote:

google play music:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, FYROM, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.[54]

really good business strategy as usual from google

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Celexi posted:

youtube red works in like 4 or 5 countries while google play music works in :

really good business strategy as usual from google

If you can get over our multiple century spanning institutionalized racism, poor shaming and clown car government it seems like maybe yall should just move here for full google integration. Why is this such a big deal?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i'd only be sad if i lost my grandfathered pricing. i'd still pay whatever though, watching youtube on anyone else's account is basically non stop ad cancer and I can't be bothered with the typical hacky dumb poo poo to get around ads.

hey you're me

youtube is basically poo poo anytime i'm not logged into it .

the ads are terrible

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spotify is good and cool

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

If it wasn't bundled with youtube red I'd get Spotify for sure. GPM sucks, it hasn't got a single improvement since it was released years ago. Apps and website don't sync activity, the overall design and navigation of both apps and site is just plain awful, the radio stuff is meh at best... As usual Google slams out a promising product to be competitive then leaves it to languish and die.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Taffer posted:

If it wasn't bundled with youtube red I'd get Spotify for sure. GPM sucks, it hasn't got a single improvement since it was released years ago. Apps and website don't sync activity, the overall design and navigation of both apps and site is just plain awful, the radio stuff is meh at best... As usual Google slams out a promising product to be competitive then leaves it to languish and die.

It just needs a messaging service in it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah the only reason I still use GPM is because of Youtube Red; and the fact that I don't want to bother with moving playlists from one service to another. I'm not even sure if the music I've uploaded to GPM exists in Spotify.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same here, although if Spotify is smart they'll offer a discount to new subscribers (at least for like a year or something) right around the time that happens. (If it happens.) I'd probably go for it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Thermopyle posted:

hey you're me

youtube is basically poo poo anytime i'm not logged into it .

the ads are terrible

I got the family plan to force my brother and girlfriend on it so I didn't have to worry about seeing their account on the TV.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
So I still use something as ancient as this as a daily and until someone again makes an undropable phone or this one finally dies on me I intend to stick with it.
I do however want to find the lightest fully featured web browser out there because mobile Firefox is just heavy as all hell. Any recommendations?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
More app-adjacent or enabling than anything, but the Daydream View 2017 hardware is discounted down to $50 for a couple of days at Google's online store and some others for retail or online (Best Buy, Verizon, ?).

App category entrance fee half off, I guess?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same here. I occasionally use Spotify to send song/album links to friends and I actively hate both their Android app and browser interface. You can't reorganize playlist. WTF is that poo poo?!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What if anything is good for a voice control music player?

Also, is there a voice to text that doesn't do notes or add to calendar but just word processing?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

TheCoach posted:

So I still use something as ancient as this as a daily and until someone again makes an undropable phone or this one finally dies on me I intend to stick with it.
I do however want to find the lightest fully featured web browser out there because mobile Firefox is just heavy as all hell. Any recommendations?

Just in case you haven't thought of this: that phone is full of security vulnerabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TheCoach posted:

I don't know if it's actually fully featured, but Opera Mini is at least lightweight. Then you have un-uninstallable Chrome which you can open if the site doesn't work in Opera Mini.