Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I sometimes forget that the Four Job Fiesta isn't the default way V is played and wanted to congratulate him on a useful job...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

EmmyOk posted:

I really liked Bartz in Dissidia so I hope his game is good whenever I play it. I started it once for a few minutes and thought it was funny when he was asked to save the world and just said nah
V is literally the best of the first six FFs.

And that's not entirely true (4 is more popular in Japan for its traditional story, 6 did the wide-open endgame better with WoR and has a huge cast of characters versus just four morons) but the job system is :discourse: and the GBA translation makes the story funny/ridiculous without being too far over the top.

(I think it's the second best overall, after XII, because just like everyone else in this thread I have a ridiculously idiosyncratic preference ordering)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Any good job tips for V? Like any abilities I should go after right away etc.

Always be getting blue magic.

There's a point of no return that can lock you out of the last Bard song, I think?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What would an HD remaster of XIII add? What the game needs is a massive amount of editing to its plot and pacing in order to make some actual sense and have characters that aren't as punchable, and at that point it's not going to be FFXIII any more.

The PC port is fine. It runs at 1080p60, its load times aren't atrocious. Those are the two main improvements you want when going from console to PC. Everything else is bells and whistles.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

What would an HD remaster of XIII add? What the game needs is a massive amount of editing to its plot and pacing in order to make some actual sense and have characters that aren't as punchable, and at that point it's not going to be FFXIII any more.

The PC port is fine. It runs at 1080p60, its load times aren't atrocious. Those are the two main improvements you want when going from console to PC. Everything else is bells and whistles.

There are tons of pointless remasters of PS3 games

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Blue is busted as hell in a fiesta run, since it's basically a whole class made out of dirty tricks in a game where almost every boss is vulnerable to a dirty trick, but I don't know if I would focus on abusing it in a first run.

Definitely do pick a few interesting classes and don't try to level everything.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Sapozhnik posted:

This was my only question, whether or not it ran at 60 fos.

I will say, having the game on an ssd makes loads nice and quick, way better than on 360 :v:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Important undocumented ffv tricks:

- Later unlocking jobs are sidegrades. White mage in particular is almost unrivaled (gently caress you, chemist) from the beginning of the game to the very end.
- Equipped gear can sometimes be used from your inventory screen for an effect. Critically, snapping a rod from your inventory will cast an -aga level spell and can be done very early.
- Many abilities transfer a jobs' stat strengths. For example, setting !Black grants a character the magic stat of a black mage, and setting Equip Harps grants the speed and magic stat of a bard. Giving a Ninja a good magic stat and throwing elemental scrolls is colossally stupid.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My FF5 advice is to go with what sounds cool and good to you. You can beat the game with four Berserkers (though I wouldn’t recommend it), use whatever the hell you want and ask the thread if you get stuck, there’s a few of us that have the knowledge to get you out of any jam you get into.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
The fiesta is partly the reason FF 5 is super super well documented.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Remove the cutscene transition for the first paradigm shift in a battle

Unfuck the weapon leveling system

Remove the “if party leader dies you game over” feature

Run at 4k

Tweak phalanx enemy encounter

Tweak tutorial text boxes/ add a combat tutorial a la FFXV

Add an alternate crystarium.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

If they could just update the PC version to not remove text from the game when it's at a resolution above 720p I'd be real happy.

The fact that this was never patched is ridiculous.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Do any Japanese people participate in the Four Job Fiesta? I'd love it if Sakaguchi could see how people put his game to good use.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh also thanks to everyone for the ZA Job advice cos the online stuff had made it sound like a way bigger deal to match characters to specific classes! I like that they enforce different license boards in XII generally because it was kind of lame if you wanted to do the late game FFX stuff every character was identical bar overdrives. It's more fun imo having dedicated classes that you alternate between in your party

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

Remove the cutscene transition for the first paradigm shift in a battle

Unfuck the weapon leveling system

Remove the “if party leader dies you game over” feature

Run at 4k

Tweak phalanx enemy encounter

Tweak tutorial text boxes/ add a combat tutorial a la FFXV

Add an alternate crystarium.

Allow changing your party and leader right from the start.

I'd love to have a hardmode too, but that's probably asking too much.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
One of the dumb things the X/X2 remaster didn't add was a skip cutscenes button. XII TZA had it though at least.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The X-2 part of the remaster has cutscene skip, but only because the original X-2 also had cutscene skip. Both the original and remaster of 12 also have cutscene skip.

That makes it even dumber, really.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

nonsense, it totally takes 5 minutes to load that Yunalesca battle

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

V is literally the best of the first six FFs.

And that's not entirely true (4 is more popular in Japan for its traditional story, 6 did the wide-open endgame better with WoR and has a huge cast of characters versus just four morons) but the job system is :discourse: and the GBA translation makes the story funny/ridiculous without being too far over the top.

"Exdeath! You won't get away with this!"
"Do you even have any idea what I'm "getting away" with?"
"...No, what?"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
"Prepare the giant mirror!"

(actually I never thought to ask this before, what does he say in the original Japanese there? because like, the minion responds by busting out the giant magic mirror)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

EmmyOk posted:

Oh also thanks to everyone for the ZA Job advice cos the online stuff had made it sound like a way bigger deal to match characters to specific classes! I like that they enforce different license boards in XII generally because it was kind of lame if you wanted to do the late game FFX stuff every character was identical bar overdrives. It's more fun imo having dedicated classes that you alternate between in your party

All the character differences are minor and you'll be doing every combat at 4x speed anyway to cope with the tedium so they'll be essentially invisible.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

FanaticalMilk posted:

If they could just update the PC version to not remove text from the game when it's at a resolution above 720p I'd be real happy.

The fact that this was never patched is ridiculous.

Can you elaborate on this before I start this game?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Bongo Bill posted:

Always be getting blue magic.

There's a point of no return that can lock you out of the last Bard song, I think?

You can miss a Bard song in World I but you cannot be locked out of getting the song for playing all the pianos (because pianos are indestructible, because music is the most powerful force in the FFV universe).

I think the best general advice for FFV is that, even in a FJF game and so especially playing it regularly, you always have a tool for the task at hand. You may feel compelled to do so, but you will never be in a situation where you need to sit and grind out job points. A lot of bosses are vulnerable to random status effects, even instant death, so try a lot of things out. Status effects in general are very strong, maybe stronger than in any other FF. Human type enemies, for example, of which there are a lot and some of them are very dangerous, are vulnerable to a lot of things, including things like Frog. And almost everything can be slowed. Except when you fight Exdeath at the top of his castle. Don't cast slow on Exdeath. Or be super awesome and cast reflect on him, then bounce a slow off of your party.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Isn't there a patch for that by the uh, GeDoSaTo person?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Fister Roboto posted:

The X-2 part of the remaster has cutscene skip, but only because the original X-2 also had cutscene skip. Both the original and remaster of 12 also have cutscene skip.

That makes it even dumber, really.

If you skip a cutscene in x-2 pc, does it still count against 100%? because I heard thats a thing, and if I decide to play x-2, I'm skipping the cutscenes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FFX is built on toothpicks and glue that localizing it means a single English line that's the wrong file size crashed the whole game.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Dross posted:

Can you elaborate on this before I start this game?

If you set the internal resolution past 1280x720 or something around that mark, and run in fullscreen all of the bestiary flavor text that gives you stats as well as hints will just show as completely blank.

Most of it is just flavor text, and I don't think anything else in the game is affected. But it's still frustrating that a PC port put out by a large publisher like Square Enix has an obvious, glaring issue like this that was never adressed.

It's possible that SE put out a patch to fix this, as I haven't played in like a year. But google searching seems to indicate nothing's been changed, and that the prior solution to this (using GeDoSaTo to run the game in borderless fullscreen) has been rendered useless due to updates for the GeDoSaTo program that came out after FFXIII.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 27, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also if youre havin issues playing FFXIII on pc with a controller its because instead of using a standardized package they made their own and it doesnt work right with all sorts of devices and may require you to plug unplug or slam buttons in rapid sequence to get it to recognize you have a controller. They wisely used a standard setup for 13-2 and 13-3, but never back ported this.

No having the bestiary info is lovely but manageable except if it affects the eidolon battles where not having that info would make them real fuckin rude to beat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lobster22221 posted:

If you skip a cutscene in x-2 pc, does it still count against 100%? because I heard thats a thing, and if I decide to play x-2, I'm skipping the cutscenes.

Yes.

Don't worry about 100% at all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You can only get 100% if you more or less staple yourself to a player's guide, and then play through twice anyway because you inevitably missed a fifth of a percentage point back in Chapter 2.

Your reward for this thankless nonsense challenge is basically a credits stinger.

Let's be clear, I did all this 15 years ago. I love FFX2 to pieces. I absolutely do not think a sane human should 100% FFX2

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

lobster22221 posted:

if you ever played X and you remember my boy Maechen who talks forever, there's literally a cutscene where he tells you stuff and you not only can skip it with actual skip but it also has a dialogue box pop up while he's talking with an option to interrupt him

you have to not skip and not interrupt him to get 100%

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 27, 2018

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Finally beat Yiazmat and Omega on the same night. Yiazmat caused a Game Over several times because I was unprepared for his Growing Threat bullshit (luckily managed to auto save just before) Had to restock on Phoenix Downs and use Reverse.

Now I really feel like doing some gimmick run. Nothing too hard

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if you ever played X and you remember my boy Maechen who talks forever, there's literally a cutscene where he tells you stuff and you not only can skip it with actual skip but it also has a dialogue box pop up while he's talking with an option to interrupt him

you have to not skip and not interrupt him to get 100%

tbh you should be locked into a bad ending for the rest of the game if you skipped or interrupted Maechen

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I feel that if you obsess over getting 100% in a game there's something wrong with your brain

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Help Im Alive posted:

tbh you should be locked into a bad ending for the rest of the game if you skipped or interrupted Maechen

Yeah him talking about Spira lore like your level 400 World History Prof. owned.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

corn in the bible posted:

I feel that if you obsess over getting 100% in a game there's something wrong with your brain

edit: this was mean. Sorry.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 27, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Oh poo poo Fiesta is in about a month.
Hard to belive its that time of the year already.

Had to skip last years run due to reason (and because I didn't really like what I got).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YggiDee posted:

You can only get 100% if you more or less staple yourself to a player's guide, and then play through twice anyway because you inevitably missed a fifth of a percentage point back in Chapter 2.

Your reward for this thankless nonsense challenge is basically a credits stinger.

Let's be clear, I did all this 15 years ago. I love FFX2 to pieces. I absolutely do not think a sane human should 100% FFX2

100% ffx2 is incredibly easy if you do the sensible thing and wait for new game plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

100% ffx2 is incredibly easy if you do the sensible thing and wait for new game plus

Plus then you can see if you like the first run and play more to see everything if you do