Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Please be careful about spoilers, since this thread has people who don't know what happens in the later seasons of the OVA or the later volumes of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bongo Bill posted:

Please be careful about spoilers, since this thread has people who don't know what happens in the later seasons of the OVA or the later volumes of the books.

Hey, thanks. I'm watching the original OVA (finished ep 2 today) and while I've made it to ep 50 in previous watches, I've never actually finished the whole dang thing.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

One aspect of the latest episode got me thinking a bit. It's a bit of a speculation but ehh.

So how is the fact that Julian gets brought under the care of Yang portrayed in the books and the original anime? I remember feeling back in the day watching the series it was weird at least, but now as the conditions for the programme were laid out bare in the latest episode it feels extremely gross and questionable. I mean, at least the translation even says the word "child soldier" in the latest episode. I do remember feeling that Yang wasn't really a good "father" for a person who was still minor, and the situation was all kinds of questionable, even if I didn't think Yang was particularly awful a person in that matter either. ut the entire concept of bringing a war orphan (of parents who were soldier(s)) under the tutelage of another family of soldiers is extremely gross. Admittedly we do not know the details of the so-called "Special Provision for the Welfare of Children of Soldiers Law", but who knows if the parents would have wanted their child to grow up to be a soldier at all and whether they'd have to sign anything to indicate what they wish for their child should they perish. The FPA has admittedly been in a war for 150 years...

:siren: Original series/setting spoilers below :siren:

..so the fact that the society hasn't militarized even more overtly could be construed as a relatively positive sign that even though the FPA democracy was in the end deemed corrupted as hell, there was a still relevantly functional civil society that represents ours today. But that does not remove the fact that the entire concept of this law is questionable. Especially seeing that the loan is forgiven if the child decides to "apply to become a child soldier or attend a military school" when they turn 15. That would have obvious indications about the foster parents pressuring more or less overtly for the child to become a soldier, or even the child feeling a false sense of responsibility to repay his foster parents and/or avenge his parent(s) by becoming one.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 27, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dessel posted:

One aspect of the latest episode got me thinking a bit. It's a bit of a speculation but ehh.

So how is the fact that Julian gets brought under the care of Yang portrayed in the books and the original anime? I remember feeling back in the day watching the series it was weird at least, but now as the conditions for the programme were laid out bare in the latest episode it feels extremely gross and questionable. I mean, at least the translation even says the word "child soldier" in the latest episode. I do remember feeling that Yang wasn't really a good "father" for a person who was still minor, and the situation was all kinds of questionable, even if I didn't think Yang was particularly awful a person in that matter either.

But the entire concept of bringing a war orphan (of parents who were soldier(s)) under the tutelage of another family of soldiers is extremely gross. Admittedly we do not know the details of the so-called "Special Provision for the Welfare of Children of Soldiers Law", but who knows if the parents would have wanted their child to grow up to be a soldier at all and whether they'd have to sign anything to indicate what they wish for their child should they perish. The FPA has admittedly been in a war for 150 years, so the fact that the society hasn't militarized even more overtly could be construed as a relatively positive sign that even though the FPA democracy was in the end deemed corrupted as hell, there was a still relevantly functional civil society that represents ours today. But that does not remove the fact that the entire concept of this law is questionable. Especially seeing that the loan is forgiven if the child decides to "apply to become a child soldier or attend a military school" when they turn 15. That would have obvious indications about the foster parents pressuring more or less overtly for the child to become a soldier, or even the child feeling a false sense of responsibility to repay his foster parents and/or avenge his parent(s) by becoming one.

This is probably one of those situations that would likely evolve in even the most "free" societies after a century and a half of war against a superior military power. There is absolutely no way they'd be able to maintain a sufficient military on a volunteer basis to sustain that kind of conflict for so long without either resorting to a mandatory draft(likely to cause huge amounts of unrest and gently caress over the civilian economy on back line planets) or to resort to lots of shifty stuff like lowering the age for military recruitment and introducing a lot of "you can opt out of joining the military but we're going to gently caress you over if you decide not to" stuff like Yang having to go through military school or Julian's situation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
One of the FPA's major failures was management of human resources. Julian is incredibly wasted piloting a spartanian

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Gaius Marius posted:

When they gave Yang command and he gathered up all the old patrol ships to make a ramshackle fleet I was incredibly hyped that they were still in the game. Then after the alliance falls I just look back and realize that unless Reinhard died the FPA was always hosed. The empire simply had the ability to absorb losses that the FPA didn't. It's fantastic that they still managed to make a compelling story with a united galaxy.

Well iserlohn fortress was also an incredible defense that could have protected the alliance for hundreds of years even after the failed invasion crippled them.

Like the phezzanis kept noticing, the empire civil war actually made them stronger, and the fpa civil war made them much weaker. I think the OVA screen showed fpa power dropping to just 28% of the universal power after the civil wars happened.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 27, 2018

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

^
Hey, mind the spoilers for new watchers, please.

Kanos posted:

This is probably one of those situations that would likely evolve in even the most "free" societies after a century and a half of war against a superior military power. There is absolutely no way they'd be able to maintain a sufficient military on a volunteer basis to sustain that kind of conflict for so long without either resorting to a mandatory draft(likely to cause huge amounts of unrest and gently caress over the civilian economy on back line planets) or to resort to lots of shifty stuff like lowering the age for military recruitment and introducing a lot of "you can opt out of joining the military but we're going to gently caress you over if you decide not to" stuff like Yang having to go through military school or Julian's situation.

So how Yang ended up in the military could be construed as a surprisingly healthy method of recruitment considering how the environment for the FPA is, similarly to Julian's situation. Soft power over forced conscription. It's still gross and insidious but creates at least veneer of legitimacy vs. forced conscription considering the circumstances. I'm not saying they could have done better. Hell, I live in a country myself with forced conscription which is one the best nations to live in according to countless metrics.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 27, 2018

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Having watched the OVAs, I can't remember if anything ever mention Yang's parents or family? Spoil it if it is a thing in the novels or new show/something else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Weird BIAS posted:

Having watched the OVAs, I can't remember if anything ever mention Yang's parents or family? Spoil it if it is a thing in the novels or new show/something else.

in the book you get almost a whole chapter about his dad the merchant who obsessively collected historical artifacts and ran himself deep into debt doing it, and then died and it turned out they were almost all fakes and Yang got left on the hook for it. This is why he went to military academy because he couldn’t afford college otherwise. I want to say this was in the OVA as well but no idea when.

skasion fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Weird BIAS posted:

Yang's backstory talks briefly about his father. His mother died when he was five. His father was a trader who was mildly obsessed with money. He died heroically saving his ship (with Yang on it) from a space accident, and Yang intended to use his inheritance to pay for his education, but it turned out he was deeply in debt, which is how he ended up in the military academy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Weird BIAS posted:

Yang's young life and more details about his family are expounded in the sidestory OVAs. In the main show I think it's only offhandedly mentioned that he was the son of a merchant and couldn't afford education without a military career, which is the only reason he joined. In the books it's just part of the text AFAIK, though I don't know much more than was laid out in main OVA and this last episode.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yang's childhood is somewhat covered in gaiden

which are really worth watching, I love how slow they are. An entire episode about arranging a funeral for a character, while they have a stopover on some random planet.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Baloogan posted:

Yang's childhood is somewhat covered in gaiden

which are really worth watching, I love how slow they are. An entire episode about arranging a funeral for a character, while they have a stopover on some random planet.

Unfortunately, gaiden is a pretty bad mix of cheap lookin animation and cheaper rear end early cg which is what has kept me from watching more than like, the duelist.

Ova og supreme, but between gaiden character designs and die neue I think I gotta go with die neue

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Agreed. And its not like its breaking the actual pacing of the story either, if anything it's more faithful to the books

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I quite like the new episode barring the whole car chase scene. That part felt pretty weak overall. but I think the episode conveyed pretty much everything about the Alliance that needed to shown to the audience.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The way they depicted Trunicht in the remake strikes me as...

...He seems too... convincing? Like, maybe this is confirmation bias talking, but most politicos who are full of MAXIMUM poo poo are bad at hiding it. They're self-serving liars, anyone with two brain cells to rub together can tell, but they're popular anyway; that's part of why they're so frustrating.

In the new anime he comes across as more like someone who's revealed to be a bastard in a dramatic twist which kind of happens when he sends the PKC after Jessica instead of a bastard who's so secure in his position he barely exhorts the effort to erect a facade

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, regardless of adaptation, I love the difference between the FPA and the Empire. Even though they're basically just past human societies copy-pasted into this future setting, the fact that Yang and Reinhard don't even feel like they're from the same world in their different segments is a pretty fantastic feeling.

It's a really great background to the theme of human triumph and folly being universal.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

The way they depicted Trunicht in the remake strikes me as...

...He seems too... convincing? Like, maybe this is confirmation bias talking, but most politicos who are full of MAXIMUM poo poo are bad at hiding it. They're self-serving liars, anyone with two brain cells to rub together can tell, but they're popular anyway; that's part of why they're so frustrating.

In the new anime he comes across as more like someone who's revealed to be a bastard in a dramatic twist which kind of happens when he sends the PKC after Jessica instead of a bastard who's so secure in his position he barely exhorts the effort to erect a facade

Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me but Trunicht seemed like a douche but not a complete power hungry dick quite so fast in the the old series. I also find how hilariously topical the entire not standing up is in American politics in the recent past.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Good lord, did they add bagpipes to the FPA anthem?

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I really miss the initial confrontation with the PKC from the OVA. It was just so palpably menacing.

It also feels less convincing that the PKC would just up and leave without the added incentive of the fire department showing up and making things... awkward. Like, megaphones and explosives in a suburban neighborhood is all kinds of brazen, but it's harder to seem like a big, scary fascist when firefighters are hauling hoses all over the place.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

watching the new ep. national anthem was trash. usin midi voice up in this poo poo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In other news of negative opinions, I thought the translation took a noticeable turn for the worse in book 4. Multiple sentences and even paragraphs that I had to stop and re-read to even guess what was intended.

My favorite that really stuck with me: on the subject of a group of ships precisely focusing their fire to pierce the armor of another, "They split it open, scalpel to wound."

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah that was pretty trash. Hoping it was done purposely for symbolic reasons but i doubt it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah that was pretty trash. Hoping it was done purposely for symbolic reasons but i doubt it

You could write (or translate) a whole space opera in that kind of style, like you're Isaac Allensimov Ginsberg, but they didn't.

E: vv :sweatdrop:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 2, 2018

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Uh I was talking about the anthem oops

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I liked this Yang episode. Seems pretty stupid to waste one of their most promising admirals on a possible suicide mission to capture a base for political gain though. But I guess the higher ups not liking Yang means they won't really mind if he gets killed in the process. Lose talent, but lose an annoyance as well. And higher ups miss talent a whole lot less than annoyances.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ccs posted:

I liked this Yang episode. Seems pretty stupid to waste one of their most promising admirals on a possible suicide mission to capture a base for political gain though. But I guess the higher ups not liking Yang means they won't really mind if he gets killed in the process. Lose talent, but lose an annoyance as well. And higher ups miss talent a whole lot less than annoyances.

It's pretty consistent in LoGH that when you misread someone's motives, whether they're on your side or not, you've hosed up. So many of Yang's victories--and anyone's blunders--come down to people just not getting what their opponent wants.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

drat but I think the modern orchestra music gets better with every new episode.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
What the hell, schenkopps design in the new LOGH . He's just an anime prettyboy now

For comparison:

Old Schenkopp:

New Schenkopp:

He's a soldier who fled the empire to the FPA and then worked his way up to the rosenritter. He should not look that young.

I didn't care much about the other redesigns but this is ridiculous.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah he doesn't really look 32 there but i could still place him as late 20's so it's not a huge gap

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Fahrenheit picked up some of Schenkopp's look (especially the nose) in the redesign.

Rugged Schenkopp, though.

:allears:

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 9, 2018

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They hosed up my favourite character noooo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

What the hell, schenkopps design in the new LOGH . He's just an anime prettyboy now

For comparison:

Old Schenkopp:

New Schenkopp:

He's a soldier who fled the empire to the FPA and then worked his way up to the rosenritter. He should not look that young.

He was a very small child when his family fled.

Also he's totally an old man, look, there's one, two...at least two wrinkles around his eyes! :v:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I'm sure it's just a bad frame of animation but he looks like Voldemort.

EDIT: before anyone disputes this I just mean he has a snake nose.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I liked the redesign and his VA

And being early 30 isn't old

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 9, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I just think it's so funny that they made Fahrenheit, very much a bit character compared to most others, look far more distinctive and likable than one of the most well liked characters of the series. After murdering Cazellnu.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Captain_duck posted:

For comparison:

Old Schenkopp:

New Schenkopp:

lol Anime Then really was better

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DisDisDis posted:

lol Anime Then really was better

Yeah its not just pure nostalgia that is fueling our 30 year obsession, the original was insanely good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

And being early 30 isn't old

It's not young, either. Assuming a high stress lifestyle like, say, being in command of an infantry regiment that's known for high risk assignments, it's an age where some weathering is to be expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did they change his age in the new one? He was 37 in the original, just barely old enough to have an adult pilot daughter