Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Group 2
I dig it. I'd like to riff off the last inspiration image as well - so maybe a tech level sort of like Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Group 1

My resource is pre-war knowledge. Do we not eat red songbirds because they roost in the old powerplant and are contaminated? Or do we avoid them because we believe they are cursed? Pre-war knowledge would not only affect our ability to interact with the artifacts we discover, it would affect our ability to even recognize them.

As for my feature, I present the Oo. It had a different name once. The metal Z still lies somewhere hidden amidst the overgrown foilage where it fell. It had a different purpose once, too. But there are no cages anymore and the beasts that still make it their home are maneaters. It's probably best to avoid it.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Group 1

My feature is the Smoking Isle. You can see it from the village, on clear days, and everyone knows its story. In the old times, Princess Axa's father used his magic to create a terrible demon that ate men and turned villages to ash. But when Axa saw what her father had done, she stole the demon, dragged it to the island, and bound it beneath the black soil. The whole island shudders and gives off strange, hot fumes when the demon rages in its prison.

My resource is Gods.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

megane posted:

My resource is Gods.

Like, the belief in them or...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Any village needs gods to watch over it, obviously. If you displease the gods and they abandon you, or a rival village takes them, you're doomed. That's what the elders say.

It just seemed like an interesting thing to view as a resource, the same way mercy is.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Sounds good, but by the looks of it it still needs an image on the map.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I do think it's interesting.

But... and UnC03 can correct me if I'm wrong... but you might want to reconsider it as a choice. I'm not totally sure it really works for this kind of game. So for the next step (after Dog Kisser gives us a resource and a feature, of course) we're going to take our four resources and we're going to choose one of them to be an abundance and the other three will become scarcities.

Let's look at UnC03's choice-- potable water-- as an example. It's pretty easy to see how that would affect our community as either an abundance or a scarcity. If it's the latter (saltwater intrusion, nuclear contamination, whatever) then a significant part of our game is going to be spent trying to fix this lack of drinking water or dealing with the ramifications of a community dying of thirst.

I played in a game(I think it was Aches the Earth?) where one our resources was this super abstract concept of longevity. Which meant that if we chose longevity for our abundance then the average community member was going to live a really, really long time. But if we chose something else, everyone would die young.

If longevity was a resource for this game, it clearly wouldn't affect our community in the same way drinking water would. But it would still echo across everything.

Having played TQY before and knowing how the cards work and how the game plays out, I think Gods will be a difficult resource to implement. I don't think it really works either conceptually or thematically with the other ideas/pictures/music we've been playing with. It feels a little more low fantasy than... what? Post-apocalyptic tropical beachcombing survivor scifi? I think that's what we were working towards, yeah? I hope it is anyway. Now that I've written it out I can't help but to think that it sounds super loving rad.

UnC03's the big boss, though, and knows better than I do.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I did read the rules, yes. And religion can be important to people without it being a fantasy world. I don't know about you but I would say that a religious community who feel as though their gods have left them is feeling a scarcity, whether the gods they worship are real or not.

But if it doesn't interest you then I'll change it; there's no point in including an element if it's going to be dead weight. Maybe something like shelter?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Shelter works perfectly, I think Gods might too if you call it faith, a more concrete term?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Tyrannosaurus posted:

I do think it's interesting.

But... and UnC03 can correct me if I'm wrong... but you might want to reconsider it as a choice. I'm not totally sure it really works for this kind of game. So for the next step (after Dog Kisser gives us a resource and a feature, of course) we're going to take our four resources and we're going to choose one of them to be an abundance and the other three will become scarcities.

Let's look at UnC03's choice-- potable water-- as an example. It's pretty easy to see how that would affect our community as either an abundance or a scarcity. If it's the latter (saltwater intrusion, nuclear contamination, whatever) then a significant part of our game is going to be spent trying to fix this lack of drinking water or dealing with the ramifications of a community dying of thirst.

I played in a game(I think it was Aches the Earth?) where one our resources was this super abstract concept of longevity. Which meant that if we chose longevity for our abundance then the average community member was going to live a really, really long time. But if we chose something else, everyone would die young.

If longevity was a resource for this game, it clearly wouldn't affect our community in the same way drinking water would. But it would still echo across everything.

Having played TQY before and knowing how the cards work and how the game plays out, I think Gods will be a difficult resource to implement. I don't think it really works either conceptually or thematically with the other ideas/pictures/music we've been playing with. It feels a little more low fantasy than... what? Post-apocalyptic tropical beachcombing survivor scifi? I think that's what we were working towards, yeah? I hope it is anyway. Now that I've written it out I can't help but to think that it sounds super loving rad.

UnC03's the big boss, though, and knows better than I do.
I get your concerns, but I read it more as a social Resource - religious morale and a superstitious status symbol - rather than anything overtly supernatural, going off "that's what the Elders say" (though we may find out whether there's anything behind it through playing the game). When in abundance, the community has a strong belief in its own morality and that whatever it's doing is right; when scarce, they're weakened, desperate, or volatile. When it's in neither state then perhaps they're doing fine, or perhaps there's another reason. I also interpreted it as representing an animistic faith where the gods don't have specific identities, which makes them more of a generic Resource rather than a group of characters.

Something else to note is that it's different from our other two current Resources in that it's not something that everyone or even most people may want (and our community might be the only one to believe in and care about these gods in the specific way they do), but it still affects how our community sees the world, itself, and other people.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Group 2

While Realtimeboard is a neat program, the drawing tools aren't amazing, here's what I came up with, feel free to tweak it if you are unhappy with it, I'll send you the log in details for the shared account after this. Also, like UnCO3 said, we can add more terrain to the map whenever we feel the need to.

Our community lives on a fractured shore, with a wide expanse of very shallow water to the north/windward, and progressively bigger outcroppings separated by deep ravines to the south/leewards. Some of the ravines are constantly filled with shallow water, while other are mainly dry. I have drawn in a proposed location for our village, we might want to settle on a picture or two of what it actually looks like and replace the icon (also potentially move it).

My feature is the half-bridge. Built many generations before us and apparently abandoned mid-way, the half-bridge partially spans the howling ravine which runs directly windward to leeward and therefore presents some of the worst wind conditions. While this bridge remains incomplete to this day, completing it would allow us easier access to the outcroppings towards the Lost compared to our village.

(Maybe a bit more completed than this, I just love this image)

My resource is farmland While growing anything on the wind-battered surfaces of the outcroppings is no easy task, some of the dryer ravines are sheltered from the wind by windward outcroppings. In these regions we have started cultures that help feed our people. The farmland is threatened by storms and tide events that could drown a year's work at a moment's notice, meaning that we are always on the lookout for more arable locations. Our current main farm is represented by the three wheat icons.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Group 2

My feature is the tidal caves. Exploring them is considered dangerous, more than one young tyro has been lost to their depths, but who knows what they might contain should the community wish to take the chance?

My resource is the fleet, a variety of shallow-draft vessels ranging from punts and catamaran canoes all the way up to our treasured hovercraft, enabling us to traverse the shallows, harvesting their bounty such as it is. In the absence of the half-bridge, this is our primary way of accessing the Lost outcroppings.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 27, 2018

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

UnCO3 posted:

I also interpreted it as representing an animistic faith where the gods don't have specific identities, which makes them more of a generic Resource rather than a group of characters.

My concern (and interpretation) is that they are going to be a group of characters. An abundance of Gods being like an abundance of sheep -- there are literally many of them walking around, doing magic, etc etc.

And maybe that could work as a resource. You know, it probably would work. TQY is super flexible. But I want to be upfront in saying that a game with literal Gods strolling across beaches, raising up islands, and making miracles go down with the wave of a hand isn't a game that I'm personally interested in playing.

megane posted:

And religion can be important to people without it being a fantasy world. I don't know about you but I would say that a religious community who feel as though their gods have left them is feeling a scarcity, whether the gods they worship are real or not.

But if it doesn't interest you then I'll change it; there's no point in including an element if it's going to be dead weight. Maybe something like shelter?

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your resource. I was under the impression that they were as real as horses or boats or gasoline. The way you described your feature and the bit about "a rival village takes them" gave me the impression of a more concrete thing rather than a conceptual one. I hope I haven't come across as an rear end in a top hat. I just wanted to be upfront with what some of my expectations/hopes for the game were.

Shelter is a solid choice and we've established that our weather is wild and dangerous. But UnC03 gave Gods the go ahead and I think we're all on the same page now. So it's up to you.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Shelter works perfectly, I think Gods might too if you call it faith, a more concrete term?

Also this

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Pardon the delay - just moved so I'm still in furniture-building hell!

Group 1

Feature: The kelp farms provide a constant source of nutrition, both from the plants themselves and from the fish that live among them. Carefully husbanded, they should last us generations.

Feature: The captured stars come out at night, when it's warm enough. Millions of tiny lights, fallen from the heavens and trapped in the water. They wash out on shore and glow until at last their light is spent... but if captured in a jar, their glow will last longer. Long enough to provide some magical blue light for our homes, though only until they die out as all things must.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 27, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I was definitely not intending for the gods to be walking around and talking. We have priestesses or elders or whatever who claim to know what they want and tell us that this lucky haul of fish is their doing etc., and enough of us believe them that it matters. I was envisioning maybe wooden statues that could be stolen or lost, that being seen as a clear sign or cause of that god's disfavor.

But shelter is fine too. There are plenty of interesting things that could come from a lack of housing against the storm. I'll leave it up you guys.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Group 2

Feature: The Green Valleys are small micro-climate areas that seem to always be warm and are protected from storms and fog by the steep cliffs that shelter them. While things grow well in them during the winter, predators often also shelter in them...

Resource: The ore-pits are the main source of metal for the area - the fractured terrain means that digging a mine is dangerous, so people rely on finding ore along the walls and bottom of ravines. On one hand, it's easy to collect, but on the other, it's not always easy to find.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
You'll need to add those to the map and the export it and link the picture in the thread. This is something you'll have to do every turn, so might as well get used to it now :v:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Group 1

I'm going to say Gods is fine as a Resource - it's a representation of religious morale and the community's faith in itself via their belief in a nebulous animistic pantheon (I mean, it could also be fine as literally gods - TQY is very flexible and part of setup is laying out the basics of the world - but that's not what we're talking about here). In any case, there may or may not be real gods or something else of substance behind this, and we may or may not find this out through playing the game.

When Gods is in Abundance, the community believes in its current path; when a Scarcity, they've lost faith in themselves and their actions. This is distinct from 'faith' in that they still hold the beliefs when the Resource is scarce. At the start of the game we, as players, don't really know what the Gods want. As we play, especially through Spring, which features more world-building, we'll flesh out this belief system a bit. I'm expecting a fair amount of "well clearly, we should appease the gods by doing XYZ", as well as evolving beliefs as the community's circumstances change.

As it stands, our Resources are:
Potable water
Pre-war knowledge
Gods
Kelp farms

The final part of setup is to vote for one of these to start in Abundance - the rest will be Scarcities to begin with. I'm going to vote for potable water.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I'm fine with potable water as our abundance.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Kelp farms

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Group 2

Feature: The Three Sentinels
Far to windward, at the very edge of the Shallows, stand three faded white towers, like the fangs of some great beast. The stump of a fourth stands nearby. They were built on the Before Times. None have been able to find a way inside, and none who have past between them, seeking to explore the windward beyond, has ever returned.

Resource: Courage
Our people have been explorers and warriors and traders, since they came together in the Chaos after the Before Times ended. But the war against the Jackals was hard and long, and the cutting winds erode more of the past every day. The council of caution, of protecting ourselves first and foremost, of not risking what we already have, speaks louder and louder.

(The abundance/scarcity of courage would be more about who is in the majority - those who are still adventurous, or those who prefer a defensive and isolationist policy. In either case both views/factions would exist.)

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 28, 2018

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Group 2

:siren: The Three Sentinels, Green Valleys and maybethe Ore Pits (if you consider them to be a defined location) still need to be added to the map. PM or send me a mail if you did not get the log in details, I sent them to the mails you gave us. :siren:

Our resources are:
Farmland
Ore-pits
Fleet
Courage

As UnCO3 said, we now each need to pick one of them to be our abundance, while the others will be scarce at the beginning of the game. Keep in mind that resources can switch (pretty freely) between abundance and scarcity during the game itself.

I vote for Courage, the war with the Jackals has taken its toll on our physical resources, many ships were lost, most farms were burned and we have not been able to gather ore in a long time. There is much to do, but our continued survival and the promises of peace have lifted our spirits to tackle the impending challenges.

(Plus an abundance of courage sounds like a great way to get into trouble!)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Group 1

I think I'll vote for potable water.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Group 2
Courage works as an abundance for me.

I added the Sentinels to the map (I couldn't really add labels right now cause I'm on the road) and also extended the Shallows region quite a bit. We could/should add more scattered outcroppings and islands going windward.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Group 2

I love the idea of an abundance/scarcity of courage dictating our actions. Let's start with it abundant, and have Lost, the Sentinels and the Caves sap it away.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Group 2
Perfect, that means Courage has a majority of votes and will be our starting abundance.

Now we only need the green valleys to be on the map and we're all set to go.

I very probably won't have time to set up the actual game thread tonight so it'll be tomorrow at the earliest in any case I think. So if you want to add some outcroppings, feel free.

Also don't worry about labeling things, we should be able to tell things apart just by using the map and distinctive icons/images (Realtimeboard lets you use predefined icons or upload your images) since it'll be populated gradually.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Looks like our starting Abundance is potable water. Also, I'm going to change 'kelp farms' to 'kelp', with the understanding that the community currently gets kelp from managed kelp farms.

I'll get the thread up tonight or tomorrow morning.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Group 2

Green valley painted in - additional ones may be discovered as we explore

Since ore-pits are going to start as a scarcity, we don't need any on the map. Any existing ones have obviously been scavenged of as much ore as could be safely gotten, new ones will need to be found.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Took me a bit longer than I thought but here we gooooooooooooo

Group 2 thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855589

Chin up, you're... well, up.

Reminder: OOC chat should still go in here and not the game thread.

E: starting this game with the 69th reply, hell yeah

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 29, 2018

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Game thread 1 is now up here.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
To link imgur images, grab the url that contains i.imgur.com and ends in the file extension by right clicking on the image and selecting "copy image location" and then put it between [timg ] [/timg ] tags, without the space before the second bracket.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Summer – Week 1
Our ancestors have once more returned! Everyone knows that when you die your body should be given to the sea. That way, if your love is strong enough, you can come back! You can give your loved ones a feast!

We paddle out to them, laughing and singing. They, our beloved dead, float near the surface and we joyfully take their bounty -- scrapping off their skin barnacles, crustaceans, sucker fish. We will eat well. We will give thanks.
Cute!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Chin up, you're up and it's been over 24 hours. If you need a bit more time, just tell us so we know.

AJ, you are the next in the turn order, I'll let you set a deadline in accordance with your posting schedule, after which we'll skip chin up to keep things moving.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Whoops, the discussion threw me off.

Give me another 6 hours, I'm at work so I don't have time to pull up Roll20 to pull a card.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Perfect, no worries.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Work slowed down enough for me to post, but I re-used the last map link. I'll update that with a new discussion dot as soon as I'm home.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Dog Kisser, your turn is up next and it's getting close to 24 hours - I'll take the next turn instead if it's not posted by the time I wake up (in ~7 hours).

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

UnCO3 posted:

Dog Kisser, your turn is up next and it's getting close to 24 hours - I'll take the next turn instead if it's not posted by the time I wake up (in ~7 hours).

Yikes, I thought I was waiting on megane, missed their post while phone reading. Posting turn now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Apologies for the miss. Will go when the discussion concludes.

• Locked thread