Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Iron the interfacing to the broadcloth before you cut into either; cut and piece the exterior together. Do the same for just the muslin, and then you can either
1. Treat it like a pilliowcase, put you exterior and interiors right-sides together, and sew along the edge leaving a hole to flip it rightside out again. Sew that hole up by hand.
2. Put the interior into the exterior like it's supposed to finish and then bind off the raw edges either by sewing down a turned edge or with bias tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe
I finished a new quilt, and I'm working on quilted shams to match. Quilted it on my regular sewing machine, and practiced lots of FMQ motifs.

Also made this pillow for a friend's Christmas gift. The fabric is leftover from his quilt backing, the filthy cross stitch is a thing he says all the time.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

oh man I love that, so modern and gorgeous. I really dig the dividers too, really gives it that extra oomph, and I'm a huge fan of crossstitched cusses. Are those fabrics all from the same line or did you just do a great job matching? They all coordinate really well.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NancyPants posted:

oh man I love that, so modern and gorgeous. I really dig the dividers too, really gives it that extra oomph, and I'm a huge fan of crossstitched cusses. Are those fabrics all from the same line or did you just do a great job matching? They all coordinate really well.

The fabric is Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter. She does really cool, modernist Scandinavian prints.

HodjasBitch
Apr 24, 2003

Too bad you revealed what a huge asshole you are so early in the game.....I woulda put out.
Fun Shoe

there wolf posted:

The fabric is Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter. She does really cool, modernist Scandinavian prints.

Yep. I got that fabric for half price, including the sashing and backing.

I plan to make many more cross stitched cuss items in the future. Finally found my book of 1001 cross stitch motifs, and I look forward to combining the adorable with the horrible.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm interested in learning how to do upholstery.

As it stands, my plan is to take the $15 thrift store wingchair I have, meticulously break the stitching, reverse engineer the pattern, and see if I can return it to its original state with new fabric. And when I gently caress it up I can throw all that poo poo away and try again with different furniture, because like I said: fifteen dollars.

Did anybody have anything to add? I'm not certain where to get new chair-quality fabric, maybe somebody has an option on that.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Eikre posted:

I'm interested in learning how to do upholstery.

As it stands, my plan is to take the $15 thrift store wingchair I have, meticulously break the stitching, reverse engineer the pattern, and see if I can return it to its original state with new fabric. And when I gently caress it up I can throw all that poo poo away and try again with different furniture, because like I said: fifteen dollars.

Did anybody have anything to add? I'm not certain where to get new chair-quality fabric, maybe somebody has an option on that.

Your method sounds identical to the method my family uses when we reupholster furniture, which I now realize is a somewhat strange hobby. My sister has redone the same chair about four times for different apartments. The only recommendation I have is to get a good staple gun and to write down the order the covers came off, so you can reverse that as well.

Upholstery is different from sewing in that you don't usually sew pieces into a complete cover before applying, often each piece is secured to the furniture individually and only the final ones are sewn together to create a seamless final edge. For example, for your chair, you might have the chair back as a separate piece that was stapled on first, then the arms as separate pieces, then the seat and seat back and front edge will all be one piece. Finally the bottom of the chair would be sewn into place concealing the seams for the other pieces. The covers for the seat cushion will be more traditionally sewn, with a zipper.

Watching a couple of youtube videos will be clearer than any written explanation!

There are upholstery-specific fabric stores as well as upholstery sections in larger fabric stores. Sometimes they will refer to it as the decorator's section or the interior section.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Eikre posted:

You just need upholstery fabric, or something of a similar weight. Nothing thinner than heavy denim jeans, unless you want to reinforce it with another layer to make it stronger and even then it's probably going to tear up sooner rather than later. Make sure you get proper upholstery-grade thread for the sewing parts, and decide if you want to do anything else to the chair like painting/staining any bare parts or replacing worn-out stuffing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want to be able to repair my clothes, hem them, sew patches on, etc. But I'm not inclined to hand sew because my hands tremble too much. And I don't anticipate using one more than a few times a year for any purpose at all.

Does it make sense to buy anything more than one of those cheap handheld machines? Does it even make sense to buy a machine?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

RandomPauI posted:

I want to be able to repair my clothes, hem them, sew patches on, etc. But I'm not inclined to hand sew because my hands tremble too much. And I don't anticipate using one more than a few times a year for any purpose at all.

Does it make sense to buy anything more than one of those cheap handheld machines? Does it even make sense to buy a machine?

From what I’ve seen the handheld machines are worthless garbage. I’d imagine even more so if you have hands that tremble. I think a normal machine would be the best. Check your loca thrift stores and Craigslist if you’re looking for something less expensive.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

RandomPauI posted:

You're going to be better off just hand sewing. Like mentioned above, the handheld machine will not fix trembling hands, and is likely to actually be worse--pulling a needle back because you jabbed the wrong place is trivial compared to having to rip out inches of crooked machine seams because your hands shook and got the machine and fabric misaligned.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a machine if I was only planning on mending things a few times a year.

Being able to hem your own pants SOUNDS great, and when it makes sense to do so, hemming will be faster with a machine. But you won't be able to hem jeans at all, and dress pants are typically hemmed with an invisible stitch that I doubt would be available on one of the handheld things, or by hand. So with the handheld, you would only maybe be able to nicely hem light-weight casual pants. Even with a decent machine, getting a nice hem on a pair of jeans is probably not going to happen.

Sewing on patches is likely to be impossible with a machine at least half the time. Getting a machine to the knee of jeans or the elbow of a jacket is.... Impossible with many machines (including the handheld ones).

Other common mendings, such as fixing ripped linings and replacing or reinforcing buttons/other fasteners also can't really be done with a machine.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably look for local seamstresses or something to do the patches and hemming then, and maybe get a price quote for repairing a canvas duffle bag that has sentimental value.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Romphims piss people off so of loving course my dumb brain wants one. I do sort of like them. But I don't really know how to sew despite all my best efforts. So I.... compromise? I bought white coveralls for $15, chopped off the arms and legs, and I'm trying to fancy it up a bit with some cheap fabric from Joanns. If I fail, nothing of much value will be lost, just my time.

This might be.... a bit much in comparison to the all white.

I like the idea of the peekaboo hem (hem? cuff? I dunno) but maybe that's too much white?

Fuckin' lol alright this is what I'm goin' for. This will be it.

So maybe trying to add in pieces to something that's still somewhat assembled isn't the easiest way to go about things? But I ripped the arm seam back, and tried my best to do this:

I figure if I want to, I could roll this up a bit and show some more.

I tried to press the seams in between each step because I had read that was important.

Well, after a couple of hours, I had.... one sleeve done? ish?

A friday night well spent. Thanks for reading.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 13, 2018

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Looks good. Indulging in silly clothing is one of home-sewings great pleasures.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I just got a sewing machine and am ready to see if any of my childhood sewing skills are still extant! (Just kidding- I don't remember anything. :ohdear:)

The OP is pretty old, so forgive me if this is a redundant question- can anyone recommend a (freeeee?) site with basic, skill-building sewing projects? I am most interested in sewing/tailoring clothes, but am open to other projects that will help me practice.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
This is geared towards basic clothes construction and up cycling, but I've gotten good ideas from watching her videos. Helps that she's fairly charming and good at explaining things:

http://www.annikavictoria.com

This lady has really well documented explanations on how to make/alter clothes (I followed her instructions on how to take in the waist on a pair of jeans, which is something I consider a difficult project)

http://mesewcrazy.com

Those are the two I've used recently. Good luck!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

there wolf posted:

Looks good. Indulging in silly clothing is one of home-sewings great pleasures.

Yeah. Most of what I sew for myself ends up being silly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone know what this kind of fabric is called? It looks like tiny feathers.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
A complete pain in the rear end to sew?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
True :v:

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Has anyone tried a sewing class on Craftsy before? I am fed up with being unable to find well fitting jeans and want to try making my own, and I can't find any local classes any time soon on the topic, but there is one on the site which I'm considering buying.

E: also soliciting recommendations for jeans patterns to use as a starting point.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s really odd that I have this blog post about making your own jeans saved but here you go :) https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/did-you-make-that/2013/jul/02/how-to-make-your-own-jeans

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Hello I've been making Very Weird Underwear lately (I mean, also cosplay but I've been posting that in the cosplay thread)

I guess I'll link it since there is some butts and some nip and my weird ol' body so click at yer own risk.

:nws::nws::nws::nws::nws::nws:

Stained Glass Bodysuit

https://imgur.com/6H7C7Jh
https://imgur.com/2TCRw0X
https://imgur.com/8kkmJul

Drippy Drawers

https://imgur.com/RRDFyo0
https://imgur.com/6wArr89

Celestial Set

https://imgur.com/rruAD49
https://imgur.com/maOARp1

I've also finally managed to get a decent professional website set up, so you can see my work without digging through my disaster of a social media presence.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Daaang those are amazing!

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Your work really impresses me every time I see it.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I know! I am consistently impressed with how artistic and well-designed your work is, Goldaline. I know a lot is cosplay inspired which is really cool as well, especially because that forces the design to get pushed to these extreme places you don't normally see! I've even randomly seen you on twitter, maybe because we are just in the same kind of circles/demographics but I find that SO COOL! YOU ARE DOING SO GOOD THE WEBSITE LOOKS AWESOME!!

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I love the Celestial underwear so much.

And those wrestling unitards! ...I see these and think "maybe I COULD make my own bike jerseys," and then look at my sewing history and get realistic again.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I love this SO MUCH. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I appreciate the half moon on the half moon.

Puns aside, your clothing designs are amazing.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Thank you guys! I didn't know if it was just too weird to post those here so I'm glad you like 'em

Sage Grimm posted:

I appreciate the half moon on the half moon.

LOL I had to do it. I wanted to do a key hole on the butt and the moon shape was just...too perfect. The rest of the design came from there.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I love the Celestial underwear so much.

And those wrestling unitards! ...I see these and think "maybe I COULD make my own bike jerseys," and then look at my sewing history and get realistic again.

Spandex is really not that hard to work with and I find the stretch really forgiving because I'm not a super precise sewer. As long as you have a serger I don't see why you couldn't.

cloudy posted:

I know! I am consistently impressed with how artistic and well-designed your work is, Goldaline. I know a lot is cosplay inspired which is really cool as well, especially because that forces the design to get pushed to these extreme places you don't normally see! I've even randomly seen you on twitter, maybe because we are just in the same kind of circles/demographics but I find that SO COOL! YOU ARE DOING SO GOOD THE WEBSITE LOOKS AWESOME!!

Yeah it's been a bit of a loop, I was doing kind of 'art garments' and regular clothes, then got into cosplay (where I was informed by the traditional techniques I'd previously learned) and then went back to doing original pieces like this (informed by the experimental techniques that I'd figured out trying to do some really stupid designs in cosplay) I'm kinda just starting out on Twitter but a couple things have blown up a bit? I'm trying to understand social media a bit better but I don't think I'll ever be very good at it.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
All the stuff you posted is boss as hell, I really liked the stained glass body suit. I’ve been altering pre-existing clothes to fit me, and making repairs for years, and am just now dipping my toes in making my own underwear. It’s hard!

I also suck at social media, but at least with instagram/Twitter I’ve had success with planning my posts out ahead of time, as in saying “I’ll post twice a day” then planning those out a month in advance. Like meal planning, but with posts.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Theokotos posted:

All the stuff you posted is boss as hell, I really liked the stained glass body suit. I’ve been altering pre-existing clothes to fit me, and making repairs for years, and am just now dipping my toes in making my own underwear. It’s hard!

I also suck at social media, but at least with instagram/Twitter I’ve had success with planning my posts out ahead of time, as in saying “I’ll post twice a day” then planning those out a month in advance. Like meal planning, but with posts.

Underwear is tricky, but at least the time/material investment is small! This all started because I end up with lots of small off cuts of spandex from my cosplays and wanted to use them up.

I post a lot of WIPs which people seem to enjoy, but I work on things at...non peak hours (no one is online at 8AM but me I think) and get too excited to wait to post.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yeah I'm totally loving the custom undergarments. I have had some ideas but my Spandex sewing skills are still very lacking.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Funhilde posted:

Yeah I'm totally loving the custom undergarments. I have had some ideas but my Spandex sewing skills are still very lacking.

It's really not difficult to work with I think just very different! I use a combo of Pellon 542, EZ Steam and spray adhesive to keep everything together and stable...I'm hoping soon to do some video tutorials on it, I finally got a camera capable of video.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Goldaline posted:

It's really not difficult to work with I think just very different! I use a combo of Pellon 542, EZ Steam and spray adhesive to keep everything together and stable...I'm hoping soon to do some video tutorials on it, I finally got a camera capable of video.

Nice I look forward to that. I think it is a manner of patience. I have that Kane costume underway and I really need to finish it.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Goldaline posted:

Underwear is tricky, but at least the time/material investment is small! This all started because I end up with lots of small off cuts of spandex from my cosplays and wanted to use them up.

I post a lot of WIPs which people seem to enjoy, but I work on things at...non peak hours (no one is online at 8AM but me I think) and get too excited to wait to post.

I feel yah, I set alarms twice a day (11am and 4pm based on googling around for “ideal times to post”), but I’m terrible at interacting with people beyond saying “thanks!” to comments. I’m in graphic design/illustration, so my observations might just be limited to what I’ve seen in that realm. Haha, at least your enthusiastic and excited about sharing, that feels like half the battle.

If you do put together some tutorials please post it here! Definitely want to see them.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Goldaline posted:

Ooh, please do some video tutorials. I need to make a few headbands/elbow cuffs (I can't find anything small enough) in spandex and wicking fabric and that would be great to see!

Also you are an absolutely amazing artist!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
There is a fabric pattern that I really like that is up for preorder until 5/20 (for the curious: https://knitoriousfabric.com/collections/products ). I really want to just make a men's t-shirt with this stuff, but am surprisingly having difficulty finding a pattern for one that doesn't do something weird like add pockets to it. Anyone have a good, pretty basic, t-shirt pattern they can recommend? These patterns are fairly expensive so I need to make sure I lock down how much fabric I need before I put the order in since its too much just buy an extra yard and hope its ok.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

nesbit37 posted:

There is a fabric pattern that I really like that is up for preorder until 5/20 (for the curious: https://knitoriousfabric.com/collections/products ). I really want to just make a men's t-shirt with this stuff, but am surprisingly having difficulty finding a pattern for one that doesn't do something weird like add pockets to it. Anyone have a good, pretty basic, t-shirt pattern they can recommend? These patterns are fairly expensive so I need to make sure I lock down how much fabric I need before I put the order in since its too much just buy an extra yard and hope its ok.

If you just want to make a unisex tee, just trace a shirt you already have - I wouldn't bother to buy a pattern for something that straightforward. If you haven't done that before, watch a YouTube tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

legendof posted:

If you just want to make a unisex tee, just trace a shirt you already have - I wouldn't bother to buy a pattern for something that straightforward. If you haven't done that before, watch a YouTube tutorial.

Great, thanks.