Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Groovelord Neato posted:

is it one of those where you kill god at the end and he's a lil amish fella?
Yes, and you saw him in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Weldon Pemberton posted:

You'll have to grind when you're doing the first boss (the biker gang dude) and a few others. That's it really. You will probably get wiped out once or twice if you lose focus while fighting an enemy like those exploding trees near Saturn Valley.

I dunno. The game is easy on the whole, but when it tough, it gets tough. Especially Fourside. And Dream Fourside in particular.

Now Earthbound Beginnings/ Mother 1, that game is ridiculously hard.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Earthbound has a lot of parts where you just control one hero and when you're action economy revolves around a single hero that leads to some frustrating gameplay. Still love Earthbound though. Favourite game.

Earthbound Zero? I love that game too but it's even more frustrating.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Definitely play the Tomato retranslation hack that puts the Easy Ring at the start. Way more manageable to play.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FoldableHuman posted:

The SaGa GameBoy games they rebranded as Final Fantasy were legit.

I haven’t managed to play those yet: I started with SaGa Frontier and then really fell in love with the series with Minstrel Song.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I can understand hoping for the death knell of superhero blockbusters, if only because that level of ubiquity (not just in the theater but in every store ever) gets incredibly grating, especially when you hate the thing. (See also: Minions.)

I don't especially share the specific sentiment, but I know the feeling.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

uhh it's because the money would go elsewhere. not any of the things you said.

I genuinely don't understand where people got the idea this was how movie studios work but it's such a weird one it had to come from somewhere right? Like, best case the 'money would go elsewhere' would be to a comparable summer blockbuster. It's not like the studio sits down every year start and says 'ok, we have exactly enough money for three big movies...' and then some dude in a Captain America suit has to footrace Wes Anderson to decide who gets the slot.

It's trends, not money, and big action movies always do well, the best you can hope for is people get burned out of a franchise not an entire genre.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Puppy Time posted:

I can understand hoping for the death knell of superhero blockbusters, if only because that level of ubiquity (not just in the theater but in every store ever) gets incredibly grating, especially when you hate the thing. (See also: Minions.)

So does being a loving snob about popular media, or loudly and publicly shouting to everyone about how much you hate it, and proclaiming the "death of _________" on a regular basis.

Actually it's actually worse, because being like that takes active effort all the time, like you're choosing to be a pretentious oval office. Let people enjoy things, and if it's not your bag, just ignore it. It's not difficult.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

So does being a loving snob about popular media, or loudly and publicly shouting to everyone about how much you hate it, and proclaiming the "death of _________" on a regular basis.

Actually it's actually worse, because being like that takes active effort all the time, like you're choosing to be a pretentious oval office. Let people enjoy things, and if it's not your bag, just ignore it. It's not difficult.

Sounds like someone we know!

EDIT: I don't have much opinion on these movies, which is why you don't often see me here when y'all are talking about them. If there were licensed games made of them I would have...I will say that I LOVED Deadpool, mind you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vagabundo posted:

It's hard to ignore when the actors involved are all on the talk show circuit and some of them host SNL, and yet more show up in commercial and promos on TV (because every channel has 2-5 superhero shows, most of them MCU) and you end up running into an obscene amount of ancillary things when you just want to watch goddamned Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and get entertained by bizarro SNL humor that doesn't have to do with goddamned superheros. It's not like I waste a lot of effort complaining about it, but it's extremely tiresome.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

most JRPGs have very small skill ceilings meaning that there isn't much to understand in terms of tactics and strategy before you are as effective as you can be and all you can do is grind to get more powerful. I'm playing Chrono Trigger right now and realizing how stupidly simple it is. Earthbound isn't that much better. What makes these games excellent in my eyes is all the stuff around the battles and its mechanics. Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and many other JRPGs are best described as "adventure games with battles" which is good enough for most people, like myself, but makes experiencing the core of a JRPG's challenge-- the battles-- a chore.

I might do a video on it. I'm a huge defendant of JRPGs but I recognize their problems.

Honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of JRPGs that really expect you to fully engage with their mechanics to complete the story, and honestly even the high end optional content rarely expects that of the player. I wouldn't say it's a low skill ceiling in the games necessarily, because the games and mechanics can definitely be pushed way further beyond what's actually there to take on, but more like there's a generous margin to get a passing grade. And I mean, don't get me wrong, I love JRPGs, but they definitely don't require making full use of what's there a lot of the times.

But then of course you get spinoff games of JRPGs that require more engagement or have way higher skill floors and then there's a community wide meltdown about how it's a betrayal or whatnot.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm not eager for the implosion of superhero flicks, just for many years I was expecting it. I've been very apathetic of superhero flicks for the last decade and I haven't seen one since Iron Man 2 but I'm not thirsting for their destruction.

Note: I saw Batman v Superman and a bit of Suicide Squad but I'd rather forget.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely don't understand where people got the idea this was how movie studios work but it's such a weird one it had to come from somewhere right? Like, best case the 'money would go elsewhere' would be to a comparable summer blockbuster. It's not like the studio sits down every year start and says 'ok, we have exactly enough money for three big movies...' and then some dude in a Captain America suit has to footrace Wes Anderson to decide who gets the slot.

It's trends, not money, and big action movies always do well, the best you can hope for is people get burned out of a franchise not an entire genre.

I'm always fond of movie history and I like to imagine some situation where what happened in the late 60s and well into the 70s could happen again where what was tried and true and safe for previous years started to fall apart and the entire industry underwent dramatic upheaval as much more challenging and transgressive movies were made. Censorship was hugely loosened, director driven projects became dominant for a period and popular movies were much more concerned with realistically portraying issues and life at the time than they were in the previous period. Obviously you still had plenty of crowd pleasers like Airport or the Poseidon Adventure, but films like Bonnie and Clyde or Taxi Driver simply could not exist in previous decades, and they went beyond and became cultural sensations. I (and others) think New Hollywood from that time was the peak of American cinema and it's kind of tempting to hope for something like it to happen again, for one the period that led up to New Hollywood has some similarities to what you see in the movie business today, a powerful corporate studio system where those producing the films have massive amounts of power and who are putting increasing amounts of resources into massively budgeted safe bets, back in the fifties that would have been Epic sword and sandal films and extremely elaborate musicals instead of superhero blockbusters. They also seem to be facing down similar problems where some of those productions are ballooning out of control without good enough returns (see almost the entire DC cinematic universe) while the film industry as a whole is having to deal with increasingly robust competition from things like TV or Videogames, and of course TV's emergence back in the 50s was also a huge threat to film back then too.

I'm not predicting anything really, honestly it's mostly wishful thinking, but it's tempting to see some parallels.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

FoldableHuman posted:

The SaGa GameBoy games they rebranded as Final Fantasy were legit.

These are some of my favorite games ever made and I really wish more RPGs and games in general were willing to be more experimental like the SaGa series.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Conal Cochran posted:

Why are people so excited about the idea of the superhero trend dying? I understand not really caring about the movies, but what about their mere existence bothers some so much.
Especially since its actually easy to avoid, its like the "I'm tired of all these Star Wars" folks, I haven't seen a Star Wars movie in theaters since AOTC (which is the only Star Wars movie I saw in theaters) With the new stuff I just glaze my eyes over in apathy and read the plots on wikipedia so I can pretend that I saw the movie so can have conversations with my coworkers who are all big SW nerds. Also I have not watched a DC movie which has probably helped with the "fatigue".

Oh and there are still good movies being mad, last movie I saw was Death of Stalin (which ironically enough is a comic book movie) and my favorite movies last year were Bladerunner and Logan Lucky. So its not like the MCU is choking the film industry as much people claim it is.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm not eager for the implosion of superhero flicks, just for many years I was expecting it. I've been very apathetic of superhero flicks for the last decade and I haven't seen one since Iron Man 2 but I'm not thirsting for their destruction.

Note: I saw Batman v Superman and a bit of Suicide Squad but I'd rather forget.

Contrary to what a lot of 30-45 year-old nerds seem to be opining online, I'm kinda okay with the fact the pop culture behemoth is no longer targeting me. Because when it does, it just feels kinda embarrassing *cough*ReadyPlayerOne*cough*. Like I'll go and see them if friends want to go, but I'm batting about 50/50 on seeing them in the theater unless they get some particularly rave reviews.

I'm not wishing for the death of superhero movies at this point; I'm just kinda tired of them but also I'm getting old and probably wouldn't care for whatever blockbuster they'd replace it with anyway.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of JRPGs that really expect you to fully engage with their mechanics to complete the story, and honestly even the high end optional content rarely expects that of the player. I wouldn't say it's a low skill ceiling in the games necessarily, because the games and mechanics can definitely be pushed way further beyond what's actually there to take on, but more like there's a generous margin to get a passing grade. And I mean, don't get me wrong, I love JRPGs, but they definitely don't require making full use of what's there a lot of the times.

But then of course you get spinoff games of JRPGs that require more engagement or have way higher skill floors and then there's a community wide meltdown about how it's a betrayal or whatnot.

One of the reasons I like the mainline SMT style of design is that even combat systems aside, the map itself is a dangerous antagonist full of traps that can hurt you, put you in combats way over your head, or waste precious resources. Even when the mainline series went third-person it maintained the dungeon-crawling paradigm it inherited from being initially inspired by games like Wizardry. It feels less like the map is a way to get from point A to point B and more like it's an experience of navigating a hostile environment.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

achillesforever6 posted:

Especially since its actually easy to avoid, its like the "I'm tired of all these Star Wars" folks, I haven't seen a Star Wars movie in theaters since AOTC (which is the only Star Wars movie I saw in theaters) With the new stuff I just glaze my eyes over in apathy and read the plots on wikipedia so I can pretend that I saw the movie so can have conversations with my coworkers who are all big SW nerds. Also I have not watched a DC movie which has probably helped with the "fatigue".

Oh and there are still good movies being mad, last movie I saw was Death of Stalin (which ironically enough is a comic book movie) and my favorite movies last year were Bladerunner and Logan Lucky. So its not like the MCU is choking the film industry as much people claim it is.

Death of Stalin is a UK production who's release in America came months after it's release in Europe, it isn't really applicable to the American industry. Blade Runner seems to be regarded as a financial flop, and was probably only possible because it was a sequel in the first place, it's a real shame because it under performing will probably just scare off the bigwigs from making more stuff like it. It's not that there's literally no good movies being made, it's more that the powers that be are ploughing more and more money into bigger and bigger blockbuster type stuff and as a result the middle budget drama or big budget risky venture is getting more and more starved out, they're mostly the purview of a few very well established directors like Chris Nolan or Martin Scorsese nowadays.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

There seems to be more and more video essays about why video essays are bad, but while that's all well and good, what I really want is more video essays parodies. There's that Richie Rich one that I think is pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDRhgeS6v9o He has some other good ones too on his channel.

Does anyone else know of any good video essay parodies?

Conal Cochran fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 27, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

a medical mystery posted:

One of the reasons I like the mainline SMT style of design is that even combat systems aside, the map itself is a dangerous antagonist full of traps that can hurt you, put you in combats way over your head, or waste precious resources. Even when the mainline series went third-person it maintained the dungeon-crawling paradigm it inherited from being initially inspired by games like Wizardry. It feels less like the map is a way to get from point A to point B and more like it's an experience of navigating a hostile environment.

Yeah, the most difficult JRPGs that aren't grind-fests tend to be closer to what I'd term resource management games. They're about dispatching things quickly and efficiently, because a dungeon will bleed you dry pretty handily if you get careless, even if individual battles aren't too hard. These games also tend to be of the "it seems easy but when things go wrong they go REALLY wrong" variety, where suddenly because you can't hit enemy weakness X they have the opportunity to to do Y and Z which locks down your party which causes...

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The best JRPG is the original Digimon World.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's hard to ignore when the actors involved are all on the talk show circuit and some of them host SNL, and yet more show up in commercial and promos on TV (because every channel has 2-5 superhero shows, most of them MCU) and you end up running into an obscene amount of ancillary things when you just want to watch goddamned Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and get entertained by bizarro SNL humor that doesn't have to do with goddamned superheros. It's not like I waste a lot of effort complaining about it, but it's extremely tiresome.

Stop giving a poo poo. Seriously. I had this epiphany at the height of anti-Twilight sentiment, and I realised I didn't have an answer to "why do I care?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vagabundo posted:

Stop giving a poo poo. Seriously. I had this epiphany at the height of anti-Twilight sentiment, and I realised I didn't have an answer to "why do I care?"

I explained why I care. If you have any specific problems with my description, list them. Otherwise, how about you stop giving a poo poo about this argument about how everybody else should stop giving a poo poo?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If you're in like a comedy or tv/movie writing scene like I was for a while you had to interface with all of this bullshit so it gets extremely tiring extremely fast that a bunch of adults are sitting around and talking about the deep motivations of slashy arm guy or blow up eyes lad or naked girl. It's inescapable because of the way people write specs, or at least was as of a few years ago. I got a real job eventually but the scars stayed.

edit: that they're increasingly blatant u.s. military propaganda vehicles doesn't help. Although it's not like that's a new development for hollywood.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i have no idea what you guys are even arguing about.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

a medical mystery posted:

Funnily enough, SMT at least is still more fair than a bunch of other rpgs because buffs and debuffs are actually incredibly important and actually work. Compare that to so many other games where buffs are either negligble at best or debuffs just plain either don't work or everything is immune to them.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There's probably more interesting films being made now than there has been at any point in history before simply by virtue of their being more films made now in general. Although it must be annoying if you don't like super-hero films, you still have an unparalleled amount of choice on what films you do choose to watch, with multiple ways to access them so you could have a very robust film viewing existence without ever having to watch a single super-hero film.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
New video from Hareton Splimby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebCHHCw9rY

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5_rn3vG3A

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I'm at a loss for words.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Serious Lore Analysis: The Return

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I enjoyed that video.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's Good

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

| |˧
|| |_

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The wait was Worth It

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Harris that was good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I unironically love the SaGa series.

I even love Unlimited Saga!

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Mischalaniouse posted:

These are some of my favorite games ever made and I really wish more RPGs and games in general were willing to be more experimental like the SaGa series.

The first jrpg I ever played, and one of the first games I ever played period was one of these. They’d called it Final Fantasy Legend 3, although its real name was SaGa 3: Jikû no Hasha. I still credit it with getting me into the genre, and the remake they did on the DS was amazing, even though that was only available through a fan translation.

Speaking of which, video game remakes certainly seem to have a better track record than their movie counterparts. Although they still don’t always work out. Another classic game from my childhood, Secret of Mana, got remade recently and it was alright, but also kind of disappointing with how little they changed besides the graphics. The original version of SoM was notorious for being rushed and having a lot of stuff cut out, so it was a shame they got so lazy with the remake rather than doing what the SaGa 3 people did and adding in a lot of the extra stuff they originally couldn’t because of the cartridge limitations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My real problem with Hbomberguy and some of his ilk is they present these incredibly obvious things as revelations their audience just couldn't see until they explained them. Videogame companies ARE, by and large, terrible grinding jobs in the same way that many major corporations are, yes, and this is something that's pretty well known and accepted. But it's presented as if only through the genius of Internet Man can we, the common people, know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

The problem with things you don't like being popular is that more of those things are going to be made instead of the things you do like. Most of us are powerless to change that fact so we lash out in the only way we can: complaining about it online, hoping eventually that enough hate for the things we don't like is sewn into as many minds as possible and that thing becomes unpopular. A good way to do this is focus on the negative aspects of those things, say "Hey, this story makes no sense," and provide all the ways it doesn't work, or say "This show runner is notorious for his mystery box narratives, planting intriguing questions in our minds that will never be answered," poisoning the well for people who'd otherwise get on the hype train for that guy's stuff.

And hey, if it's possible to host a show on YouTube and get paid to do that, so much the better.

Bakeneko posted:

The first jrpg I ever played, and one of the first games I ever played period was one of these. They’d called it Final Fantasy Legend 3, although its real name was SaGa 3: Jikû no Hasha. I still credit it with getting me into the genre, and the remake they did on the DS was amazing, even though that was only available through a fan translation.

Speaking of which, video game remakes certainly seem to have a better track record than their movie counterparts. Although they still don’t always work out. Another classic game from my childhood, Secret of Mana, got remade recently and it was alright, but also kind of disappointing with how little they changed besides the graphics. The original version of SoM was notorious for being rushed and having a lot of stuff cut out, so it was a shame they got so lazy with the remake rather than doing what the SaGa 3 people did and adding in a lot of the extra stuff they originally couldn’t because of the cartridge limitations.

The graphics update is why I refuse to buy the SoM remaster. I like the style of the original sprites, not these polygons. I won't buy the PC version of Chrono Trigger because of how they rushed out a mobile port with bad menus and a sepia filter over everything.

I just want to have the original games on my current platforms with maybe a minimal amount of bugfixes.