Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I enjoyed watching like 1 g league game a year on YouTube and when they moved to Facebook, I stopped. Privacy violations aside it's a lovely website and I don't want to have to use it for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Baba Oh Really posted:

The broadcasts are super annoying. They will sway between baseball talk and ask for comments on dumb questions.

And the comments take up like a third of the screen. It's really bad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am shocked that Mike Russo is a sexist gently caress

(this is RE: Francesa returning)

quote:

“When you retire, just retire. You finish, you say goodbye on a Friday afternoon, give the callers a chance, and move on. You can’t do a long goodbye, because if you do a long goodbye, it gets a little tedious, number one, and number two, if you change your mind in five or six months, you look like a horse’s fanny. When it’s time to go, just sense in your own gut and go.”

“Make sure that when you do retire, you’ve got something to do every day. Now, Mike’s got young kids (13-year-old boy and girl twins and an 11-year-old son), so it’s much harder. You can’t go to Miami or West Palm Beach or the Kentucky Derby because you’ve got to deal with young kids in school!…You don’t want to be home with kids! That’s why the wife, that’s why the missus is there! Let Jeannie Rousseau take the kids to school, let her worry about Colin’s headache, let her worry about Kira’s SAT scores, let me go to work and do a talk show every day, and I’ll see you at 7:30!”

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/989900384872300546

i think only days ago he said he wanted to keep playing for a bit

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Edward Mass posted:

You know those baseball games exclusively on Facebook? Nobody’s watching them.

quote:

Facebook broadcasts have averaged between 65,000 and 85,000 concurrent viewers over the league’s first three games, according to data obtained by the Inquirer and Daily News. The league’s Facebook experiment is in its infancy, but those numbers are far lower than even the lowest-rated baseball game aired on television.

:laugh:

quote:

[Scott]Braun, who has been with the MLB Network since 2012, couldn’t be more excited about calling games on Facebook this season, even if the lack of commercial breaks means he’s not able to make it to the bathroom through the entirety of the broadcast, which can total nearly four hours.

“Zero breaks, and we’ve done three games,” Braun said. “And even when we finish, we immediately go on Instagram Live right after the game and take questions for about 20 minutes.”

:catstare: I, uh...really hope it's worth it.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I'm in my team's MLB.TV blackout area despite living two states and 500 miles away and I won't watch the games... Because I'm not going to log into Facebook at work. :wtc:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/989900384872300546

i think only days ago he said he wanted to keep playing for a bit

ESPN probably upped the offer.

Good for though. He's really beat up and had an awesome career. I don't think he'll be as good at it right away as Romo was but I think he can eventually be pretty good.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

:drat:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For those who care about racing, NBC just picked up IMSA for next year for six years. http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/149065-imsa-moving-to-nbc-sports-in-2019-149065

NBC also recently signed a 3 year deal with IndyCar.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
also NASCAR picked up ARCA which means only another year or two of ARCA being ARCA

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/991001726160433153

i guess everyone is now using romo as an example

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
But they need to layoff basically everyone behind the scenes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How many loving ex-Cowboys do we need in broadcasting?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hope he takes it. Him dumping the Cowboys at late notice was a huge big dog move and gently caress Jerry Jones

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

they need to do something to fill the void left after they didn't make it past the divisional round

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

THEY PLAYED FOOTBALL IN THE GREATEST DIVISION IN THE NATIONAL. FOOTBALL. LEAGUE. THEREFORE THEY ARE SMART.
--a TV exec, yesterday

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

There are still a couple broadcast teams without one and that's hosed up imo. Also Romo was almost immediately by far the best color guy so I'm all for them adding more recent players rather than old guys who are gonna harumph about Establishing The Run or whatever

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is cutler still going to be an announcer

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

MourningView posted:

There are still a couple broadcast teams without one and that's hosed up imo. Also Romo was almost immediately by far the best color guy so I'm all for them adding more recent players rather than old guys who are gonna harumph about Establishing The Run or whatever

i think its more that the best color guys are the former players but once they are out of the league for 2 or 3 years they begin to suck

rotate new retired dudes in

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

they need to do something to fill the void left after they didn't make it past the divisional round

You're late to that joke

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ramadu posted:

i think its more that the best color guys are the former players but once they are out of the league for 2 or 3 years they begin to suck

rotate new retired dudes in

Id be all for this. Announcing teams in every sport must be players no more than 5 years out of the game.

I think hockey would be the funniest, as they actually still have personalities usually. At least the ones who would do it.

I'd pay good loving money to hear PK Subban and Brent Burns in a booth, with an asshat like Marchand on the ice. Those 2 would be hilarious, and the mic'd up takes from players chirping Marchand would be goddamn amazing.

Or even better, Luongo.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

iwentdoodie posted:

Id be all for this. Announcing teams in every sport must be players no more than 5 years out of the game.

I think hockey would be the funniest, as they actually still have personalities usually. At least the ones who would do it.

I'd pay good loving money to hear PK Subban and Brent Burns in a booth, with an asshat like Marchand on the ice. Those 2 would be hilarious, and the mic'd up takes from players chirping Marchand would be goddamn amazing.

Or even better, Luongo.

The solution here is to bring a 3rd man into the booth during the playoffs, among teams already eliminated.

If Tampa beat Boston, for example, Marchand could do color commentary on the final two rounds.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

AsInHowe posted:

The solution here is to bring a 3rd man into the booth during the playoffs, among teams already eliminated.

If Tampa beat Boston, for example, Marchand could do color commentary on the final two rounds.

"Oh hit him! Dirty little prick."
"Brad, you tried to lick his face."
"Yeah, well, can you blame me? He looks delicious."
"Time for commercial."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

a couple lovely radio hosts in Houston are fired and suspended for a beef that may or may not exist. I don't know. Radio beefs are dumb as balls.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Of course it's Josh Innes.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/991718977259876359

in whatever form it's gonna have more viewers than garbage time

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I could never decide if I liked Garbage Time or not. I mean, Nolan was charming enough that she generally pulled it off. But it was a weird little amateurish not entirely funny thing.

I feel like if ESPN gives her better production it will be unwatchable.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
They stuffed Nolan on Snapchat for a while. It feels like ESPN is also not using her well.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Nolan and Beadle should be the hosts of Get Up. Greenberg and Rose are terrible.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Douchebag posted:

Nolan and Beadle should be the hosts of Get Up. Greenberg and Rose are terrible.

Katie stays up until 4 am playing Fortnite, she has no interest in hosting a morning show.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stugotz on HQ was so weird.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

algebra testes posted:

Stugotz on HQ was so weird.

How meta did it get?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/992147182697447426

he didn't even try

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

How meta did it get?

I may be wrong but it seemed like he was just doing his white guy gasbag pundit routine earnestly instead of ironically so you could interpret that as crazy meta or not at all.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ESPN2 has this thing called Spikeball on right now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Niwrad posted:

I don't know what that is but I just remembered Slamball once existed. All of the glorious gruesome injuries you would expect from full contact trampoline basketball.

e: just looked up Spikeball, Slamball was much more fun to watch as long as you didn't mind the rather large possibility of seeing dislocated ankles.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 6, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Spikeball, not to be confused with bulletball, which was also on Shark Tank.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

soggybagel posted:

They stuffed Nolan on Snapchat for a while. It feels like ESPN is also not using her well.

Yeah she needs more than just her podcast, give her an effin budget already.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/992955128373305344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Niwrad posted:

I know a couple whose son is really into it. The son is on of the top-ranked teams in the southeast, whatever that means.

The son has come back home a few times to give demonstrations. It's right up there with ultimate frisbee as sports that only work on a college lawn.