Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Risky Bisquick posted:

They are on track to sample from TSMC, for both a 7nm Vega AND Epyc. 7nm is rumoured to be 6 core ccx so intel is super boned.

We’ll hear from intel where 10nm is today during the earnings call.

https://mobile.twitter.com/2901bitslice/status/989275561364082688
https://mobile.twitter.com/AMDNews/status/989258151345229825

So yeah, if they're both TSMC that means Q1 2019, you know right after Intel releases 8C CFL. Icelake is still MIA, consumer chips scheduled for a nebulous 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Jim Keller, having left AMD to go to Tesla after completing work on Ryzen, has now left Tesla to go to Intel.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/25/tesla-autopilot-jim-keller-lea

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

mdxi posted:

Jim Keller, having left AMD to go to Tesla after completing work on Ryzen, has now left Tesla to go to Intel.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/25/tesla-autopilot-jim-keller-lea
Intel's 10nm must have been a really big trash fire for him to get involved.

eames
May 9, 2009

I do wonder why all 2000 series CPUs seem to hit a wall at 4.2 Ghz, either the process is super consistent or they're binning very aggressively for 2800X/TR2.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

eames posted:

I do wonder why all 2000 series CPUs seem to hit a wall at 4.2 Ghz, either the process is super consistent or they're binning very aggressively for 2800X/TR2.

Hitting the wall at around the same mark even after switching to a HP process points towards a bottleneck somewhere in the architecture, I think.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Risky Bisquick posted:

7nm is rumoured to be 6 core ccx so intel is super boned.

That'd mean 24 (logical) cores max on AM4, right?

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Guessing Intel is the smaller trash fire

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

eames posted:

If folks are consistently getting 4.4-4.5GHz by slightly adjusting BCLK, I think that architectural limitation is infinity fabric and its impact on timing.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Keller is a cpu architect, he can't fix TMG and the process

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

NewFatMike posted:

If folks are consistently getting 4.4-4.5GHz by slightly adjusting BCLK, I think that architectural limitation is infinity fabric and its impact on timing.

Yeah zen+ is basically a process change and minor one at that

It got a few extra mhz and probably fixed a bunch of bugs but people expecting 5ghz are delusional since it's a generation behind intel 14nm

7nm on the other hand....

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

Guessing Intel is the smaller trash fire
Presumably 12 Am4 / 24 TR4 / 48 per socket SP3 :getin:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1950X is $719 on Amazon, like $80 below its previous low water mark. Looks like its time to start clearing the old stock out.

eames
May 9, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

That'd explain the hilariously overspecced VRMs with high quality components on many recent X470 boards, probably the best thing to come out of that platform refresh. Back when X370 was released the MB vendors didn't know whether Ryzen would be competitive so they just put "acceptable" components on there and rushed them out the door. X470 boards seem to be much more solid in that regard, even better than Z270/Z370.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah zen+ is basically a process change and minor one at that

It got a few extra mhz and probably fixed a bunch of bugs but people expecting 5ghz are delusional since it's a generation behind intel 14nm

7nm on the other hand....
Ivy is 22nm and sandy is 32nm. Both can hit 5GHz on air.

The only point I'm making is 14nm or generation behind 14nm is irrelevant.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 26, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Risky Bisquick posted:

Presumably 12 Am4 / 24 TR4 / 48 per socket SP3 :getin:

Hey, remember the LAST time that AMD dumped more cores on the industry than they knew what to do with?

Yeah, those were good times.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you want we can always dial it back to 2007 when we got the q6600.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Khorne posted:

Ivy is 22nm and sandy is 32nm. Both can hit 5GHz on air.

The only point I'm making is 14nm or generation behind 14nm is irrelevant.

That's not really proof of anything though? The point is Zen+ can in fact hit higher clockrates, which indicates less of a process issue and more a design issue.

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you want we can always dial it back to 2007 when we got the q6600.

"Well back in 2007, Intel quadrupled your cores! It's 2018, after all this time AMD can only manage to triple your cores!"

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 26, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

eames posted:

That'd explain the hilariously overspecced VRMs with high quality components on many recent X470 boards, probably the best thing to come out of that platform refresh. Back when X370 was released the MB vendors didn't know whether Ryzen would be competitive so they just put "acceptable" components on there and rushed them out the door. X470 boards seem to be much more solid in that regard, even better than Z270/Z370.

:( don't say that - I don't wanna have to upgrade the whole fuckin' mobo next year to get a stable upgrade

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
If you don't want 12 cores, Intel will gladly sell you 6 for the same price :laugh:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hey, remember the LAST time that AMD dumped more cores on the industry than they knew what to do with?

"Cores"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Risky Bisquick posted:

If you don't want 12 cores, Intel will gladly sell you 6 for the same price :laugh:

I want 16 cores that all run at 5.0ghz though.

No. A hundred cores.

Man I want more TR. My next build is almost definitely going to be a threadripper line.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Deuce posted:

My next build is almost definitely going to be a threadripper line.

Same. I've started video editing and it's looking sick nasty. I want to see new tr boards.

It's fricking bizarre I couldn't find any yet that aren't pimped out with Leds though. But the Asus x399A looks good.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Deuce posted:

No. A hundred cores.

Man I want more TR. My next build is almost definitely going to be a threadripper line.

This is me with my TR 1950x build

:circlefap: :flashfap: :circlefap:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Risky Bisquick posted:

They are on track to sample from TSMC, for both a 7nm Vega AND Epyc. 7nm is rumoured to be 6 core ccx so intel is super boned.

was tmsc part of the group that developed 7nm with gloflo/ibm?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Deuce posted:

No. A hundred cores.

I could make use of ten thousand cores at 5Ghz. Scientific computing could really do with some high core count server chips that also blow through 3Ghz on all cores....

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
2700X for $280 through the ebay app:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11525407-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-8-core-3-6ghz-desktop-processor-254-99-more-w-ebay-app-free-shipping

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Risky Bisquick posted:

96 thread Epyc :shepface:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 26, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If AMD actually manages to kick Intel's rear end up and down the entire stack, I wonder how Intel will try to slip out of the x86/amd64 cross-licensing agreement.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

dont be mean to me posted:

If AMD actually manages to kick Intel's rear end up and down the entire stack, I wonder how Intel will try to slip out of the x86/amd64 cross-licensing agreement.

Can they afford to? Windows on ARM is off to a rocky start, but I'd be willing to bet they'll hit "good enough" for majority users within a generation or two, where it'll be competing with premium Chromebooks and iPad pro.

Then you've got Apple, who are their own kind of beast.

Maybe we'll just get Itanium back! :science:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
At any rate, AMD had better make hay while the sun shines, now that Keller is at Intel. I don't think it has been said whether he is specifically working on the CPU or GPU side, but AMD is on a timer before the status quo on one side or the other is upset, again.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SwissArmyDruid posted:

At any rate, AMD had better make hay while the sun shines, now that Keller is at Intel. I don't think it has been said whether he is specifically working on the CPU or GPU side, but AMD is on a timer before the status quo on one side or the other is upset, again.

It sounded like he might be working on their new autonomous driving initiative?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Keller is infatuated with ARM, mobile, and machine intelligence and it's applications (like autonomous driving). It's unlikely Inel isn't tapping Keller for what they can do with x86, but I bet they want to bring him on so Intel can fight Qualcomm in the Windows-ARM space, and catch up to Nvidia in autonomous driving.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dont be mean to me posted:

imma let you finish, but intel made $4.5 billion dollars profit this quarter

it's cool that AMD is back and all, and Intel getting hosed by 7nm is some deserved comeuppance. but AMD and Intel are, in the end, partners on the whole x86 thing. I want AMD to compete well and Intel to play fair. I'm not sure I want some huge upheaval where Intel is doing so badly that they try to burn down the whole building with the X86 license agreement. Because the most plausible reason I can see for that is the future where both of them are losing to ARM and tablets rule the world.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Intel can't do anything about the x86 license agreement.

And they're very much not partners at all given how many times and the lengths to which Intel has gone to screw AMD over.

Realistically if you're expecting Intel to fold up shop then LOL but its looking like they might get their face pushed in for a couple of years at least on performance if AMD executes half as well as expected on Zen2 so maybe they'll be competing on price for a while for the first time in like a decade or so.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

NewFatMike posted:

Can they afford to? Windows on ARM is off to a rocky start, but I'd be willing to bet they'll hit "good enough" for majority users within a generation or two, where it'll be competing with premium Chromebooks and iPad pro.

And here I thought they killed RT. Welp!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The whole point of using Windows is the software ecosystem. There’s no way they catch up to the iPad on that front if they start over, so abandoning every piece of existing Windows software that isn’t pure CLR would be, IMO, very unwise.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Munkeymon posted:

And here I thought they killed RT. Welp!

Windows on ARM isn't quite as gimped as RT was. The idea is that they can run x86 programs (just 32 bit for now iirc) rather than relying on developers porting their apps to UWP or whatever Microsoft's new flavor of the month is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How fast are Noctua to deliver AM4 mounting parts when you send them your motherboard receipt for their heatsink program?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I can't be the only one who wants to see a workstation-class ARM chip, right? Will ARM always be relegated to low power implementations?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

SamDabbers posted:

I can't be the only one who wants to see a workstation-class ARM chip, right? Will ARM always be relegated to low power implementations?

It's just now moving into higher power situations (Examples: Qualcomm Centriq, Cavium ThunderX2), which may be part of why Intel feels threatened enough to bring in Jim Keller.

Example # xxx why one of the dumbest decisions Intel ever made was selling off their ARM division instead of putting R&D money into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subjunctive posted:

The whole point of using Windows is the software ecosystem. There’s no way they catch up to the iPad on that front if they start over, so abandoning every piece of existing Windows software that isn’t pure CLR would be, IMO, very unwise.

We just passed the 14th quarter of continuous decline in all tablet sales. Apple's highest quarter for iPad sales, their first quarter of fiscal 2014, saw just over 26 million iPads sold. Their first quarter of fiscal 2018 saw 13.17 million sold.

The idea of catching up to a market in ongoing collapse is a bit funny.