Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

My real problem with Hbomberguy and some of his ilk is they present these incredibly obvious things as revelations their audience just couldn't see until they explained them. Videogame companies ARE, by and large, terrible grinding jobs in the same way that many major corporations are, yes, and this is something that's pretty well known and accepted. But it's presented as if only through the genius of Internet Man can we, the common people, know it.

I'm not sure I agree that that was the point of his video, or something he presented as much of a revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The point of the video seemed to be justifying a deeper examination of media beyond simply mocking it, because it has cultural significance and reveals something about both society and the creator. I don't disagree with that because it's patently correct and worthwhile, but that same patent correctness makes the method by which it is established seem supercilious. Because this is what everyone who cares about media criticism already knows? Right?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Have you been living under a rock for the last 4 years?

e: Alright, less glib.

He's not making videos exclusively for the kind of people who post in this thread. He's got 2500 patrons and 225000 subscribers and there's kind of been a movement about "objective criticism" and not "shoving politics" into game reviews and poo poo.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
For some reason Hbomb's review reminds me of John Green's review of True Skate just due to taking something ubiquitous and innocuous and goes all out with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x640o9ofqDM

(Every time I watch that video I think of how crucified someone with a gamer audience would get if they posted that as a review).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

For some reason Hbomb's review reminds me of John Green's review of True Skate just due to taking something ubiquitous and innocuous and goes all out with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x640o9ofqDM

The big difference is that you don't get to see John's dick at the end.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Funnily enough I remember hbomberguy pithily criticising pop culture detective for his video on the star wars prequels, but that was because the video made a really obvious statement that you could get from watching the films and then went out of its way to pretend that george lucas is a big dumb idiot for not realising it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aside from CAD and Penny Arcade basically being the same thing and that- the latter gained the fame, power and money that Awkward Zombie and Nedroid deserve more- even people who make mediocre things have their characters show reflections of themselves in them, I'm afraid that Mr. Splimby's point might've gone over my head.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

I genuinely don't understand where people got the idea this was how movie studios work but it's such a weird one it had to come from somewhere right? Like, best case the 'money would go elsewhere' would be to a comparable summer blockbuster.

of course it would. but it'd be something different at least.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
A bit late to the SaGa lovefest, but....

I rented the SaGa Frontier waaay back in a "rent 3 and you can spend the whole weekened with the games" deal, and remember being both mesmerized and frustrated with it. It was the first RPG I saw that had cops and modern settings and prisos and a ton of separate storylines. That said, it was also impenetrable and very dry when it even cared to explain how it worked.

I still remember one storyline of a guy trapped in some kind of arcane palace to start with, with lots of treasures on display that he could not take more than one screen or something. It was frustrating because it felt like there was so much there, but you kept bumping into invisible roadblocks when you got involved.

To this day I still wish I'd given it a better shot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sephyr posted:

A bit late to the SaGa lovefest, but....

I rented the SaGa Frontier waaay back in a "rent 3 and you can spend the whole weekened with the games" deal, and remember being both mesmerized and frustrated with it. It was the first RPG I saw that had cops and modern settings and prisos and a ton of separate storylines. That said, it was also impenetrable and very dry when it even cared to explain how it worked.

I still remember one storyline of a guy trapped in some kind of arcane palace to start with, with lots of treasures on display that he could not take more than one screen or something. It was frustrating because it felt like there was so much there, but you kept bumping into invisible roadblocks when you got involved.

To this day I still wish I'd given it a better shot.

SaGa Frontier is a really weird and unique game. It's also extremely broken and has a lot of very obvious cut corners because it had a huge scope, but it's really worth playing if you can get past those things.

It has such a weird loving setting, too. To this day I'm not really sure how to visualize it. The whole world is separated up into "regions" that almost seem like pocket dimensions floating around in space? You traverse them in "region ships" that seem to move through this weird hyperspace dimension to get between realms. But it's never really elaborated on. I suppose it makes sense that it'd be totally normal to the people who live in that setting so nobody would ever explain it in exposition. What's extra funny is that most of the regions could easily just be different places on the same planet--if it weren't for them being "regions" and the only way you could move between them is in a specific kind of space ship thing, I'd just assume they were all on the same planet and had weirdly disconnected tech levels just like in FF7. But that's not at all what's going on and it's very strange and great.

My favorite SaGa Frontier protagonist is Asellus. She's a normal girl who gets turned into a half-vampire half-Mystic by Orlouge, the Charm Lord, to be part of his harem, but breaks free with another princess to go on adventures, only to eventually come back and murder the poo poo out of her kidnapper. She has three endings and one of them lets her become a lesbian vampire queen so I don't know why you'd ever pick a different one.

I never finished SaGa Frontier 2 but it was also really weird. It pared down to just two storylines instead of seven, though one of them spanned three generations of a dude's family. Had really great watercolor aesthetics, too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
SaGa Frontier also had Alkaiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-3uAzEKyVU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I still have a soft spot for 8 Bit Theater. Probably helps that Brian Clevinger actually improved as a writer over time and started, like, actually publishing real comics and stuff.

I mean, uh, Sonic! Tails! Shadow! Robotnik! Knuckles! KNUCKLES! K.N.U.C.K.L.E.S.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The point of the video seemed to be justifying a deeper examination of media beyond simply mocking it, because it has cultural significance and reveals something about both society and the creator. I don't disagree with that because it's patently correct and worthwhile, but that same patent correctness makes the method by which it is established seem supercilious. Because this is what everyone who cares about media criticism already knows? Right?

I mean, you've been on the internet right? There are absolutely people who think that things they don't like ("this is bad") are not "worthy" of discussion and criticism.

Hell, even things that they like! You've heard people say, "just shut your brain off!" right? That's them saying, "don't think about this, I want to ignore the cultural significance"

This new Hbomb vid seems like, "all art is worthwhile to discuss and all art is meaningful, even if you don't like it"

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I thought the overall presentation of HBomb's video was great, but wouldn't disagree with anyone who said that its form seems to consciously be compensating for a video that seems a little unfocused in its overall argument. Like he wanted make a video about misogyny within gamer culture and another video about misogyny in The Room but didn't feel like he had enough substance to do them individually so he just decided to make them into one video. Its structure makes it work better than it should, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not sure I could give you a concise answer on what the video's thesis is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Conal Cochran posted:

I thought the overall presentation of HBomb's video was great, but wouldn't disagree with anyone who said that its form seems to consciously be compensating for a video that seems a little unfocused in its overall argument. Like he wanted make a video about misogyny within gamer culture and another video about misogyny in The Room but didn't feel like he had enough substance to do them individually so he just decided to make them into one video. Its structure makes it work better than it should, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not sure I could give you a concise answer on what the video's thesis is.

I mean it had a pretty clear throughline of "crappy stories shouldn't just be dissected for their obvious problems of form and objective quality but how they send a clear message that, in its own way, can be thought-provoking in how realistically one-sided it is"

Hareton Splimby took shots at people for cashing in on The Room but I think The Disaster Artist actually did something valuable by highlighting how the movie came from that sort of uncomfortably personal place and wasn't just "a movie with bad acting and stuff". It also said a lot about the struggle that up-and-coming actors face and the emotional damage that was inflicted on other people in Wiseau's quest for personal validation. Though admittedly the book probably did a much better job at this. Greg's side of the story is likely biased in its own way but it's still insightful.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 27, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno I thought it was fairly clear. We love to hate CAD and talk about how The Room is so bad but when you actually compare it to similar stuff it's biggest sin is being more poorly crafted, not especially more morally devoid. Like, CAD IS just PA with worse art (and even then that hasn't been true for the past like, five years) and a weird attempt to make serious storylines. They're both still just morally repugnant white nerds screaming into their artpad, but one gets to have a major gaming con and be a cultural touchstone and the other is 'lol CAD sucks'.

CAD does kinda reflect the worst in its audience, aping bigger and more popular things, lacking talent enough to do it well, falling into cheap jokes instead of actual commentary but wanting to be taken seriously regardless.

The Room is the same, it reflects the worst in cinema, a story about a generic dude who's actually super cool and popular (who just happens to be the writer/director's stand in) who's female counterparts exist as story beats more than characters. It never was given any mainstream attention until the 'real' movies could cash in on it under the guise of noble causes in helping art and poo poo.

They're both considered 'low art' just due to quality of style, which SHOULD be a factor sure but it's a bit absurd that they get treated as if they're some unique shameful thing when actually they're just a lower quality mirror of things that get treated as golden.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there's also an element to hbomberguy's point that poorly-crafted art might actually be a better mirror than better art because its repugnance comes in part from how clear of a reflection it is. Wiseau's narcisissm is the same as any stock hollywood man lose woman or redeems self for woman story - but we are not tricked into visualizing ourselves as Wiseau, and so can see it for its fakeness.

CAD's ineloquent rambling and weird tone shifts just expose more how weird and awkward and fundamentally blind gamer 'culture' is. How it barely comprehends the world around it, and how it can't reconcile itself to the forces that create the games it obsesses over. IT can do that better than PA because PA at least for a time had enough effort put into it that it couldslick over those problems with style or comedy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Haven't seen Hbomb's video yet but I swear, if the thesis is 'Actually the Star Wars Prequels are good' I'll scream.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Haven't seen Hbomb's video yet but I swear, if the thesis is 'Actually the Star Wars Prequels are good' I'll scream.

P. sure that's his thesis on every criticism video.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Self-evident facts don't need theses created around them tbh

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

He didn't need to since that's just generally understood these days.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Hbomb would actually rather put his little buddy on camera than commit the internet kamikazi that would be mounting an honest defense of the prequels.

Seriously though, how many years ago did he promise to make that video? :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol broke brained mutherfuckers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol broke brained mutherfuckers.

?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can't wait for people to earnestly claim ready player one is a good book.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Feels like this hbomb vid pairs nicely with Lindsay's "Dear Stephenie Meyer" vid

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

can't wait for people to earnestly claim ready player one is a good book.

Already happened when it came out, my dude.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

5 out of 5 stars Get your geek crush on. Pure Adventure.
By The Mad Hatter [VINE VOICE] on August 16, 2011
Format: Hardcover

Do you know who Gary Gygax is?
Can you quote lines from nearly every John Hughes movie?
Ever wish you could drive a Delorean?

If you answered yes to any of these than run now and buy a copy of Ready Player One because your favorite book of the year has arrived. In fact, buy two so you have one to lend out knowing your collection is still complete. The movie Fanboys [Blu-ray] was Cline's love letter to Star Wars while Ready Player One is his scrawled over notebook to everything he loved about the 70's and 80's and tied into a story just as memorable as all the movies and games he mentions. Even if you don't get all the references the story can most definitely still be enjoyed.

Ready Player One is pure adventure mixing media, a dystopian future, and a virtual world known as OASIS. A virtual treasure hunt for the fortune of the world's richest man and most famous game designer has been announced, but 5 years later no one seems close to solving the puzzle. Everyone wants in, but few have the skills and knowledge until all hell breaks loose as gunter (egg hunter) Wade Watts cracks the first clue.

With lots of humor and pop-culture references that never seem forced Cline has created one of my favorite Sci-Fi novels of the last decade. It isn't hard Sci-Fi by any stretch, but an adventure style quest with pop-culture trappings in a virtual world where everything can be made real. Ready Player One also has heart and lovable characters as believable friendships and relationships develop. There is an evil corporation that you'll love to hate and there is even a bad guy you just pray will get his in the end. All in all Cline has stacked the deck to make this a memorable read that I finished in two days.

Children of the 80's rejoice and get your geek crush on. This is one to savor and fall over in love with again upon each eventual re-read.

Now if we could only transport the Richard Donner of the 80's through time to direct the eventual awesome movie that will be Ready Player One...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ernest Cline wrote Fanboys with Adam Goldberg and suddenly a lot more things in the world make sense

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think you knew what i meant but ok.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno I thought it was fairly clear. We love to hate CAD and talk about how The Room is so bad but when you actually compare it to similar stuff it's biggest sin is being more poorly crafted, not especially more morally devoid. Like, CAD IS just PA with worse art (and even then that hasn't been true for the past like, five years) and a weird attempt to make serious storylines. They're both still just morally repugnant white nerds screaming into their artpad, but one gets to have a major gaming con and be a cultural touchstone and the other is 'lol CAD sucks'.

CAD does kinda reflect the worst in its audience, aping bigger and more popular things, lacking talent enough to do it well, falling into cheap jokes instead of actual commentary but wanting to be taken seriously regardless.

The Room is the same, it reflects the worst in cinema, a story about a generic dude who's actually super cool and popular (who just happens to be the writer/director's stand in) who's female counterparts exist as story beats more than characters. It never was given any mainstream attention until the 'real' movies could cash in on it under the guise of noble causes in helping art and poo poo.

They're both considered 'low art' just due to quality of style, which SHOULD be a factor sure but it's a bit absurd that they get treated as if they're some unique shameful thing when actually they're just a lower quality mirror of things that get treated as golden.

Yeah, it's not obscurantist but it's a facile and obvious argument. I guess if people really are that shallow and incurious then it's fine but I don't see what he offers that I can't get from just thinking about things with my brain

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean Hbomberguy basically has a correct reading of the prequels which is backed up by other Star Wars material, particularly the Clone Wars cartoons which owned, and even the latest Star Wars movie. Personally where I disagree is largely in subjective elements regarding how well it was executed. Which is pretty subjective.

Yeah, it's not obscurantist but it's a facile and obvious argument. I guess if people really are that shallow and incurious then it's fine but I don't see what he offers that I can't get from just thinking about things with my brain

Why do people watch movies video essays? :thunk:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pretty sure people thinking about things with their own brains so they no longer have to watch his videos is the future HBomb wants to create.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I dunno man I think, especially online, 'actually maybe pretending PA is somehow a higher class of nerd than Tom Borkly is really stupid because they're just as dumb and lovely' isn't super common?

Also on another note, what are some good paranormal/conspiracy youtubers? Not creepypasta but like, Coast to Coast/Paracast style discussions of things from a maybe too open mind...without the whole "AND THE JEWS ARE RUNNING THE PIZZA PARLORS TO RAPE OUR KIDS" elements?

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I mean, the same argument Splimby is applying to CAD could just as well be applied to RPO: that Ernest Cline's unskilled sincerity accidentally created an absurdly accurate portrait of the material obsessed nerd's obliviousness to the wider world and resistance to learning anything of substance preferring instead to catalogue superficial trivia and rote memorization. Cline even managed a heaping dose of that specific flavour of nerd misogyny where they think that objectifying pretty girls who aren't Hollywood pretty basically makes them bell hooks.

So, yeah, I think the thesis "often poorly made things are accidentally more honest and revealing because the authors lack the skill to hide themselves" would apply to Ready Player One.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I liked the Too Many Cooks-esque parts of the new Hbomberguy vid. I love the dialogue and text.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FoldableHuman posted:

I mean, the same argument Splimby is applying to CAD could just as well be applied to RPO: that Ernest Cline's unskilled sincerity accidentally created an absurdly accurate portrait of the material obsessed nerd's obliviousness to the wider world and resistance to learning anything of substance preferring instead to catalogue superficial trivia and rote memorization. Cline even managed a heaping dose of that specific flavour of nerd misogyny where they think that objectifying pretty girls who aren't Hollywood pretty basically makes them bell hooks.

So, yeah, I think the thesis "often poorly made things are accidentally more honest and revealing because the authors lack the skill to hide themselves" would apply to Ready Player One.

i wish they had pulled a starship troopers with the movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoubleCakes posted:

I liked the Too Many Cooks-esque parts of the new Hbomberguy vid. I love the dialogue and text.

yea as someone who isn't a huge fan of extended skits in this stuff I enjoyed these. They were a good balance for me at least, just short enough to be funny without killing momentum, and I'm 100% in for weird psycho cinema style interjections.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Also, that music for the vid is loving ace.

Hareton's Dream is my kind of fuckin jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish they had pulled a starship troopers with the movie.

That was never going to happen, especially with Cline co-writing or at least contributing to the script. The only way Starship Troopers got to be Starship Troopers was that Heinlein had been dead for nine years when it was being made.