Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Jan De Bont: director of Speed; cinematographer for Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, and Basic Instinct; also DP and editor on Roar in which he survived a lion attack that required his loving scalp to be stitched back on his head.

all this Jan De Bont talk and not even mentioning Twister, you're a disgrace

Also throwing my hat in for Vinegar Syndrome's Liquid Sky remaster. Even the 2K scan of Ice Cream Man makes a DTV film look halfway decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like people would like The Haunting just fine if it wasn't a remake of The Haunting. There's nothing wrong with it in a vacuum as a dumb-fun haunted house movie, but holy loving lord it's disrespectful to the original.

It’s one of the dullest horror movies I’ve seen

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I feel like people would like The Haunting just fine if it wasn't a remake of The Haunting. There's nothing wrong with it in a vacuum as a dumb-fun haunted house movie, but holy loving lord it's disrespectful to the original.

Here's the thing, I've never seen the original film and I still think the remake is just completely awful when it's not occupied with being incredibly boring.

I, Butthole posted:

all this Jan De Bont talk and not even mentioning Twister, you're a disgrace

Also throwing my hat in for Vinegar Syndrome's Liquid Sky remaster. Even the 2K scan of Ice Cream Man makes a DTV film look halfway decent.

Liquid Sky is loving bonkers and I regret that I'd never seen it until the blu-ray came out but I'm glad that the first time I was able to see it was the result of a great restoration. The last 20 minutes of that movie just by itself is pure gold.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not sure I want to see the Liquid Sky restoration. It's so tied to its lovely transfer in my memory.

The Last Jedi: FA5JXLZFE78

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

feedmyleg posted:

Grabbed it. Thank you!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The digital was the only way I could watch the movie. It just won’t play in my Blu Ray player. It’s hosed Up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat, that makes me worried, since my player has trouble with a number of discs...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I'm not sure I want to see the Liquid Sky restoration. It's so tied to its lovely transfer in my memory.

I wanted to see it entirely on how great the lighting looked in the trailer Vinegar Syndrome put out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

drat, that makes me worried, since my player has trouble with a number of discs...

It's a widespread issue apparently.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mallratcal posted:

I haven't seen Death Machines but Vinegar Syndrome does a really good job with their restorations.

The only thing that I don't like about Vinegar Syndrome is that it makes it very clear just how prevalent filters are in modern cinema.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley has all their Cinerama releases on sale for $24 each:
https://www.flickeralley.com

This is Cinerama
Windjammer
Cinerama Holiday
South Seas Adventure
Search for Paradise
Seven Wonders of the World
Cinerama Russian Adventure
The Best of Cinerama

Not exactly great cinema, but several were among the highest grossing films of the years (This is Cinerama was #1 in 1952 from playing in only one theater in the world) and quite impressive on a good HT setup. The new editions of TIC and Windjammer are new 4K remasters from the negatives. They’re all Smileboxed with great 5.2 tracks and lots of extras. Search for Paradise has a short film made in 2012 that was the first film shot in Cinerama in 50 years.

Great restorations considering the films had zero preservation for 50+ years

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Arrows line up for July. Slightly lower brow than the post above.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Iron Crowned posted:

The only thing that I don't like about Vinegar Syndrome is that it makes it very clear just how prevalent filters are in modern cinema.

How do you mean?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

New Shout Steelbooks in August for Army of Darkness, The Howling and Lifeforce. Lifeforce is getting a new 4K transfer as well. I’m not a steelbook fan, but the new Lifeforce transfer sounds tempting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

mallratcal posted:

Arrows line up for July. Slightly lower brow than the post above.

Ooh. Check out The Navigator. Nice to see an NZ movie get the treatment.
It's by the guy who almost directed Alien 3. He had that monks on a wooden planet idea.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Heads up: The Ring blu ray was a $5 bargain bin disc as recently as a year ago. Now it's OOP and selling for $20 or the Best Buy version is $40.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Five Cent Deposit posted:

How do you mean?

Vinegar Syndrome's stuff looks amazing, and none of it has the lazy filters and other digital mumbo jumbo that current movies have. My statement was a knock on modern film making rather than an actual complaint about Vinegar Syndrome.

Boinks posted:

Heads up: The Ring blu ray was a $5 bargain bin disc as recently as a year ago. Now it's OOP and selling for $20 or the Best Buy version is $40.

I discovered a couple years ago that I don't like The Ring anymore. There's something about it that has just been lost to me now that VCRs and tube based TVs are antiquated.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome's stuff looks amazing, and none of it has the lazy filters and other digital mumbo jumbo that current movies have. My statement was a knock on modern film making rather than an actual complaint about Vinegar Syndrome.

That's what I thought you meant.

I work in post production, on some pretty big projects. Stuff every single poster here has heard of and many of you have seen. I think modern color timing trends are problematic for many reasons. I don't think I speak for the majority of my colleagues, though. I'm not saying every feature film coming out of Hollywood looks bad - but I do feel that the digital intermediate workflow, and digital camera acquisition workflow, bring a lot of pain. I'm tempted to say they create more problems than they solve. For that matter - even though it is my bread and butter - digital (non-linear) editing hasn't really advanced the form at all in my opinion and causes plenty of its own headaches. I can't say I long for "the good old days," especially since I would have no career to speak of, but what you call "lazy filters and other digital mumbo jumbo" are here to stay and the entire medium has shifted to accommodate and rely on the new technology. I do silently rejoice a little bit whenever a top tier product is shot and finished on film with no DI like Hateful Eight.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Five Cent Deposit posted:

That's what I thought you meant.

I work in post production, on some pretty big projects. Stuff every single poster here has heard of and many of you have seen. I think modern color timing trends are problematic for many reasons. I don't think I speak for the majority of my colleagues, though. I'm not saying every feature film coming out of Hollywood looks bad - but I do feel that the digital intermediate workflow, and digital camera acquisition workflow, bring a lot of pain. I'm tempted to say they create more problems than they solve. For that matter - even though it is my bread and butter - digital (non-linear) editing hasn't really advanced the form at all in my opinion and causes plenty of its own headaches. I can't say I long for "the good old days," especially since I would have no career to speak of, but what you call "lazy filters and other digital mumbo jumbo" are here to stay and the entire medium has shifted to accommodate and rely on the new technology. I do silently rejoice a little bit whenever a top tier product is shot and finished on film with no DI like Hateful Eight.

I'm actually not against digital production. It's just glaring when I watch a beautifully restored movie that hardly anyone cared about from the 70's, where even the low budget ones had to put a lot of care into how things looked because of the time and effort it took to develop and edit physical film. I guess my complaint really is that a lot of modern movies feel like certain elements were always intended to be fixed in post production, as opposed to carefully planned out to be captured during production.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm actually not against digital production. It's just glaring when I watch a beautifully restored movie that hardly anyone cared about from the 70's, where even the low budget ones had to put a lot of care into how things looked because of the time and effort it took to develop and edit physical film. I guess my complaint really is that a lot of modern movies feel like certain elements were always intended to be fixed in post production, as opposed to carefully planned out to be captured during production.

I just read an interview with Robert Richardson about this exact thing. I'll try to dig it up when I get back to my computer. He talks about how he's become spoiled by the modern workflow and tech and gives the example of shooting interiors and realizing on set that the exteriors visible through the open windows will be blown out (overexposed with no detail) but not worrying about it or fussing with lighting because he knows that it will be recoverable in the DI. Shooting on film and knowing that the finish will be entirely photochemical, he has to be much more careful. When I'm not on mobile I will come back with examples and a full explanation, but you are right on the money that there is an entirely different attitude and approach to **filming** now that the post production workflow is so different. And this new approach is absolutely a pain in the rear end, from my perspective. If people are interested enough I will do my best to elaborate later.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That would be interesting to read about, but maybe better for a different thread where it won't just get read by weirdos who still buy plastic discs.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I discovered a couple years ago that I don't like The Ring anymore. There's something about it that has just been lost to me now that VCRs and tube based TVs are antiquated.

I'm surprised they haven't made a new Ring but with smart phones or maybe they have and I just haven't been following. I want to see a hipster The Ring that spreads the curse with records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

I'm surprised they haven't made a new Ring but with smart phones or maybe they have and I just haven't been following. I want to see a hipster The Ring that spreads the curse with records.

People still watching movies on tape wouldn't be considered hipstery?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

We want the audience to fear for the protagonists, not cheer their deaths

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Boinks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DHZ4btOkDI

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

It's mainly the horror community, and they're just plain weird rather than hipsters.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I want to be That Guy who buys up all the horror VHS tapes at every single flea market and every junk store but I'm too lazy and hate getting out of the house that early in the morning :(

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

King Vidiot posted:

I want to be That Guy who buys up all the horror VHS tapes at every single flea market and every junk store but I'm too lazy and hate getting out of the house that early in the morning :(

Flea markets are half the reason I collect so much old junk. It’s dried up for games, but movies are always plentiful. I’ve yet to find any fantastic finds for movies. It’s mostly a lot of late 90s/early 00s action and comedy films you can find new for the same price people are selling them for. Best find yet was a copy of House from Criterion on DVD for like $2.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

So many good horror movies never even made it to DVD.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's mainly the horror community, and they're just plain weird rather than hipsters.

I get the feeling that's more of a tradition type thing.

Prior to the 70's horror really was a comedic genre, you'd go unsupervised to the theater to watch a bunch of silly poo poo go down involving a goofy rear end monster and possibly a beach party. Then Night of the Living Dead happened, and revolutionized horror into a genre that could truly be horrifying. The 70's gave us some really great movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Town that Dreaded Sundown that defined what the genre would be for the next few decades.

By the 80's, Horror was that genre that was fairly easy to do for budding film makers, and shunned by normies for the most part, so there's a ton of it that was obscure. A lot of it got passed around during the 90's as 2nd or 3rd generation copies, and it was a big deal when one of us got our hands on a copy of Dead Alive. Other movies were spoken of in whispers and never really known if it existed or not.

Sure you could go to the local video store and find most of the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street moves. You had to know someone with a car, and someone who knew where the cool video store was if you wanted to rent Killer Klowns from Outer Space, or Trick Or Treat. Part of horror movies in the 90's really was the thrill of the hunt.

When the 2000's rolled around, the internet made the world of horror smaller, and horror became much more mainstream, which muddied the waters. With DVD, and how obscure a lot of titles were, there were fears that there were some movies that would never be transferred to DVD (and a lot weren't). Some titles may truly functionally be lost outside of the VHS format today.

Typing this post, I get the feeling that this is why a lot of these obscure horror titles are getting releases on Blu. The horror kids that were in high school in the late 80's and 90's are now old enough to start a small company that restores and releases these old titles.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The video store near my home town (which is still there to this day but they liquidated their VHS collection) had tons of great poo poo. Sadly I didn't get to their VHS sale in time to get some of the really really good poo poo but off the top of my head they had:

Creepers, Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, They Live, Dawn of the Dead Extended Cut, Day of the Dead, Videodrome, TerrorVision, Dolls, Psycho I-IV, Nightmare on Elm Street 1-6, Puppet Master (a few of them), Demonic Toys, An American Werewolf in Paris, Scanners, Gothic, Frankenhooker, Child's Play 1-3... and so, so many others. I didn't watch all of the movies I listed, particularly since I was like 12 when I rented from there and I don't think I could've gotten away with watching "Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers".

I managed to snag a small handful of their tapes when they sold them off. They sold them as they were, with the sun-faded boxes stuffed with styrofoam and the blue clamshell cases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I get the feeling that's more of a tradition type thing.

Prior to the 70's horror really was a comedic genre, you'd go unsupervised to the theater to watch a bunch of silly poo poo go down involving a goofy rear end monster and possibly a beach party. Then Night of the Living Dead happened, and revolutionized horror into a genre that could truly be horrifying. The 70's gave us some really great movies like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Town that Dreaded Sundown that defined what the genre would be for the next few decades.

By the 80's, Horror was that genre that was fairly easy to do for budding film makers, and shunned by normies for the most part, so there's a ton of it that was obscure. A lot of it got passed around during the 90's as 2nd or 3rd generation copies, and it was a big deal when one of us got our hands on a copy of Dead Alive. Other movies were spoken of in whispers and never really known if it existed or not.

Sure you could go to the local video store and find most of the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street moves. You had to know someone with a car, and someone who knew where the cool video store was if you wanted to rent Killer Klowns from Outer Space, or Trick Or Treat. Part of horror movies in the 90's really was the thrill of the hunt.

When the 2000's rolled around, the internet made the world of horror smaller, and horror became much more mainstream, which muddied the waters. With DVD, and how obscure a lot of titles were, there were fears that there were some movies that would never be transferred to DVD (and a lot weren't). Some titles may truly functionally be lost outside of the VHS format today.

Typing this post, I get the feeling that this is why a lot of these obscure horror titles are getting releases on Blu. The horror kids that were in high school in the late 80's and 90's are now old enough to start a small company that restores and releases these old titles.

I can understand the nostalgia angle but to be perfectly honest a lot of those titles that never made it over from VHS are unwatchable garbage. I'm friends with a guy who is a hardcore collector of VHS tapes and I watch a lot of that poo poo with him and most of it is just worthless. That's why the boxes were so fun to look at. It was all marketing. Usually they were the best thing about the movie. I wasn't 12 years old in the 80s, so I guess that whole wave passed me by. That's not to say I'm against the preservation of weird trashy horror movies, but at the same time I'm not usually concerned about what things are being lost.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
for what it's worth, my experience of video stores was in the 90s, and if your video store wasn't a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video it was basically guaranteed to be the "cool" video store (and even Blockbuster had a surprising chance of being good). Major Video in Baton Rouge had loving everything, including a "Japanimation" section that I remember being badass as all hell because they had basically everything Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media ever put out on VHS.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It still blows my loving mind that Blu-Ray has been a format for literally 12 years now and there are people who don't know what it is/still haven't upgraded to a Blu-Ray player/still buy DVDs.

Like, I understand old people not being able to tell the difference between SD and HD (their eyes are loving broken), but still. Blu-Ray players are cheap as gently caress. Blu-Rays themselves are cheap as gently caress. You can probably get a standalone Blu-Ray player and a couple of your favorite movies on Blu-Ray for $50 or maybe a little more than that. You don't need an expensive game console to play them or anything like that.

If you're still buying physical media in 2018, it makes no sense to buy a movie on DVD over Blu-Ray at this point, but people are still doing it :psyduck:

I was asking about jumping on the UHD bandwagon recently in the last thread, and with the adoption rate of Blu-Ray, it makes sense why UHD would take forever to catch on.

Are there TVs being sold with built-in Blu-Ray players like those older TVs with built-in DVD players?

Honestly, what irritates me is when movies that were just made in the past four or five years come out on DVD but not blu-ray or even any other HD format. Or it'll be available in SD on iTunes but not HD. I'll stoop to buying stuff on iTunes if a blu-ray isn't available but SD makes my eyes bleed. I've become a picture quality snob.

I don't understand it. Does it have something to do with the economics of it? Are blu-rays still much more expensive to make than DVDs today? Does Apple charge by the byte for storing movie files or something? There have been movies I really wanted to see but ended up skipping because of the low res. I don't know why so many movies from 2010 or later have this issue.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

for what it's worth, my experience of video stores was in the 90s, and if your video store wasn't a Blockbuster or Hollywood Video it was basically guaranteed to be the "cool" video store (and even Blockbuster had a surprising chance of being good). Major Video in Baton Rouge had loving everything, including a "Japanimation" section that I remember being badass as all hell because they had basically everything Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media ever put out on VHS.

Or one of those weird video stores run by religious conservatives that edited out any nudity or swearing. But they left the violence in, because murder is okay with Jesus, but a boobie is not.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

Or one of those weird video stores run by religious conservatives that edited out any nudity or swearing. But they left the violence in, because murder is okay with Jesus, but a boobie is not.

I got an explanation for this, recently:

It's because war/violence is in the bible, and is often endorsed, if not flat-out encouraged, by God.

But adultery is always a sin, full stop, and the ONLY boobies a man should ever see are those of his wife, after the marriage ceremony.

Source: my crazy missionary sister

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
America is just weird.

For example, I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds (it's enjoyable in its way) where they showed the murdered naked corpse of a woman.

They had no qualms about showing her mutilated body with a lot of blood, but she was positioned just so to prevent any one from seeing the nipple.

Another good example is The King's Speech. Rated R, why? Because he says gently caress more than once. Sure, it's otherwise lacking in objectionable material, but according to the MPAA, you need an adult to see that movie if you're 13 but Vin Diesel's XxX is perfectly fine, with the line "bitches, come."

America is just loving weird.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Another good example is The King's Speech. Rated R, why? Because he says gently caress more than once. Sure, it's otherwise lacking in objectionable material,

On the contrary, I strongly object

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Blockbuster in the next town over from me was surprisingly hip. They had a stock of VHS tapes well into the DVD era that was all manner of foreign films, horror films that were tough to come by, and just generally things that were hard to find or didn't make it to DVD yet. Among other things I remember renting Brazil, Delicatessen, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Akira, and the Blade Runner theatrical cut. Most of these things weren't on DVD or wouldn't be for years so the place was a god send. At that time this was pretty much the only way to see these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
My main goal in life is to own a little video store. Gonna be the weird old guy who tells teenagers to watch Eating Raoul