Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CaptainViolence posted:

i'd definitely give the pilot a listen if you posted it!

I currently have it sitting in a Google drive that I can add you too if you’d be comfortable providing an email address. Alternatively, if anyone can recommend a good temporary hosting/streaming service I could throw it on, I could do that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Anyone here knowledgeable about RSS feed issues with podcasting apps?

Multiple listeners of my podcasts have mentioned problems with getting the latest episodes from their apps https://www.facebook.com/groups/10556964513/permalink/10155705012199514/

iTunes has the right RSS feeds for Role Playing Public Radio and RPPR Actual Play. Google Play Music had slightly incorrect URLs, but I just corrected it. Stitcher has the right feed URLs as well.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot this problem. I put some more links and info here https://ask.metafilter.com/320341/The-RSS-feed-of-my-podcasts-are-not-working-Ithink

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I feel like this is a stupid question but if my podcast is just one on one interviews, is it better to record and mix it live into a ready-to-go file, or record the inputs as separate tracks and mix it later?

So I'm using a zoom H5, and my current system is to record the two XLR mic inputs as separate mono tracks, then mix them in Audacity, and I have to do a bunch of fuckery with duplicating the mono tracks so that it's a balanced stereo mix.

I'm curious about mono mix mode on the H5, where you can record the two mono XLR mic inputs as stereo files and mix the inputs 'live' during recording. All I would have to do is export the wav file as an mp3 and upload it to Soundcloud. So less room for error, but much easier in terms of time spent and storage space on my computer. I could also record directly to an mp3, but I feel like that's just asking for trouble.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
H5 + 2 x mono channel user here. I couldn’t record in anything else because having it mixed in a single file makes editing annoying sometimes when you’re trying to cut something out and someone else is making a noise and you can’t isolate the two noises.

Edit: actually does it pan then left and right? May be ok.

Plus if you’re adding any post production jingles or voiceovers you can’t just upload it straight away anyway.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I think it's mostly a personal preference thing, but I always record isos for pretty much everything (not just podcasts) because it's a lot of potential benefit for very little extra effort. If someone bumps a mic or coughs at an inopportune time, it's gonna be way harder to save whatever is going on at the time if you're trying to edit a mix instead of tracks. I think I also do more extensive editing than a lot of people do, so that may not be something you're worried about. If you think you don't need them then you might not.

That said, this:

red19fire posted:

I have to do a bunch of fuckery with duplicating the mono tracks so that it's a balanced stereo mix
leads me to believe that the trouble you're having is with your workflow. It's been a while since I used Audacity, but something weird is going on if you have to do this. You should just be able to have two mono tracks with pan controls on the left-hand track header. I have no idea what fuckery you're having to do to balance things out, but I'm like 90% sure that there is a much, much simpler way to do whatever it is you're doing.

Gin_Rummy posted:

I currently have it sitting in a Google drive that I can add you too if you’d be comfortable providing an email address. Alternatively, if anyone can recommend a good temporary hosting/streaming service I could throw it on, I could do that instead.
Sorry, I completely missed this somehow! You can just use my username at gmail if you want, or put it up on soundcloud or something!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

CaptainViolence posted:

leads me to believe that the trouble you're having is with your workflow. It's been a while since I used Audacity, but something weird is going on if you have to do this. You should just be able to have two mono tracks with pan controls on the left-hand track header. I have no idea what fuckery you're having to do to balance things out, but I'm like 90% sure that there is a much, much simpler way to do whatever it is you're doing.

I haven't done it for a while, but it's like i have to take each mono track and convert them to stereo tracks, then merge those stereo tracks together to make a normal L-R balanced track. Otherwise i get one mic on the left channel and the other mic on the right channel. There probably is an easier way though, yes. I guess I should pan the left mono track to the right, and the right mono track to the left, so they're in the middle?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

You can do that, I’ve done it. But does the software have an option to split stereo tracks to two mono tracks?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, that definitely sounds like something is getting messed up either in the way the zoom saves its files or the way audacity uses them. i've never used the H5, but since thehustler doesn't have this same problem, i'm thinking maybe audacity is assigning each mono track to be a stereo channel instead of a mono track when you import?

again, audacity may have changed since i used it, but i think that in the left side header's drop down menu on each track, there was a way to change that assignment. i mostly used it to combine two hard-panned mono tracks into a stereo channel, but maybe something in there will let you go the other way round.

the other option is to try a different daw! reaper is the good free option, and if you can get it to work in there without any fuss, then you'll know something is funky with audacity.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I can check my files tomorrow. Usually it only happens when someone else recording for me presses the wrong button by mistake and takes it out of 2-channel mode.

go speed racer go
Dec 11, 2006

~wat it do, dough~
Just checking in here, as myself and a few other goons have been podcasting monthly for a while now. Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated as always.

The Digital Bench
Main site || Facebook || Twitter || Twitch
iTunes Feed || RSS Feed
Genre: Video Games
Released: Monthly
Description: A group of goons decide to get together in a basement every month and talk a lot of poo poo about video games. Sometimes the games are good; other times they are not so good. Consistently fueled poor dining decisions and an incessant need to throw dark in the worst possible way.
Latest episode: 15 - It's fine.

This month epic Kingdom Hearts LP, drawbot, Toaster Beef, and myself get together to do a complete 180 on our Far Cry 5 impressions from last month. It's fine, in the "it's a playable video game" sense. Toaster Beef kind of goes in on it and goes into the never ending struggle to balance player agency against main plot threads in open world games. There's lots of God of War discussion as well. Surprise, it's actually really drat good. Oh yeah, Yakuza 6 is pretty dope too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I tell you what though, BBC Radio shows are usually recorded to a stereo mix and edited off that which is nuuuuts.

take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
I've been producing a weekly comedy podcast for the past six months now, and we do it in a different way than most people. We broadcast our show over a shoutcast stream and those recorded episodes we list as the podcast. It's all the frustration of doing a podcast, all the while interacting with your community and playing music at the same time. It's all the fun of live radio, except learning everything on the fly.

our premise is simple: "each show is a live two hour production meeting for next week's show." We have recurring segments, guests and a discord channel where users can join us on the stream. There is no wrong way to go, every blooper and every triumph all contribute to the show's great power. nothing can go wrong, and everything is alright because for now it is Time For The Show

Time For The Show
iTunes , Google Play , TuneIn

Weekly, "comedy" live broadcast with recorded episode podcast.

If you're interested in the aspects of producing a live show via shoutcast, just ask. It definitely is a lot different than pre-recording shows and segments, and the mistakes (especially on my end) can be disastrous (and usually are). still, we push on in the attempts of trying to figure out what it is we are doing. Recently, there have been some issues with staying connected, but our friend and server admin is working with me (we will be conducting tests on the stream tonight after midnight edt).

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
Managed to get a microfiction podcast started, not quite ready to link it though.

Really appreciate this thread for ideas about how to improve and inspiration!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
My wife and her friend want to start a podcast together. They'd be willing to drop ~$150 each for a good mic but I'm wondering about the best software for remote co-hosting. My wife and I are in Wisconsin, and her friend is in Japan.

Definitely interested in a "just works" sort of thing because it's just them talking back and forth to each other. They'd also want to enable a third "guest" to participate as well, from a third remote location.

I see Cast and Zencast are both subscription based but appear to do the trick. Any feedback on those? I'm sure they'd be willing to do the free trial period of either. But I get the feeling that these have subscriptions because THE CLOUD, right?

But is there just something that isn't cloud based but easily enables recording audio input from two or three people in separate locations? Maybe it's something where the host actually records the audio from all the sources to the local machine and just edits later.

Also open to recs on a microphone. Seems that the Blue Yeti is entirely adequate. Even the Blue Yeti Nano.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

French Canadian posted:

My wife and her friend want to start a podcast together. They'd be willing to drop ~$150 each for a good mic but I'm wondering about the best software for remote co-hosting. My wife and I are in Wisconsin, and her friend is in Japan.

Definitely interested in a "just works" sort of thing because it's just them talking back and forth to each other. They'd also want to enable a third "guest" to participate as well, from a third remote location.

I see Cast and Zencast are both subscription based but appear to do the trick. Any feedback on those? I'm sure they'd be willing to do the free trial period of either. But I get the feeling that these have subscriptions because THE CLOUD, right?

But is there just something that isn't cloud based but easily enables recording audio input from two or three people in separate locations? Maybe it's something where the host actually records the audio from all the sources to the local machine and just edits later.

Also open to recs on a microphone. Seems that the Blue Yeti is entirely adequate. Even the Blue Yeti Nano.

TBH a Samson Meteor will probably more than suffice. Look up sound quality comparisons on Youtube.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

French Canadian posted:

Maybe it's something where the host actually records the audio from all the sources to the local machine and just edits later.

The goto and probably easiest is Audacity but I myself prefer OBS which is most often used for video streaming, but can be configured to just record audio to the local machine.

Going this route will naturally add a layer of "oh now I have to go cleanup the recording and upload it somewhere" that the cloud solutions shortcut a little.

As for how to get them connected? Skype/Mumble/Discord or whatever they can achieve the lowest latency and highest quality with would be a good start considering the distances you're dealing with.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Just wanted to post about my comedy podcast I've been doing called Scarytown.

This is a scripted sketch comedy podcast about the goings on of a very weird and very dumb town. Writing, starring, and producing this show are some of the best comedic talent around, including people who have been on or written for The Opposition with Jordan Klepper, The Onion, McSweeney's, Funny or Die, SNL, IFC, Comedy Central, Improv 4 Humans, Hollywood Handbook, the Upright Citizens' Brigade Theater, and everywhere fine comedy exists. The style is absurd, silly, occasionally dark, and occasionally satirical. The second season will have 7 episodes and comes out every Tuesday. We have a first season with a more narrative-driven story if you are into that.

I'd love to hear what people think!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/scarytown/id1295260047

Unmature
May 9, 2008
EDIT: Nothing to see here

Unmature fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 31, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I've been working on a podcast with another goon, and we need to start thinking about distribution, but I'm having trouble figuring out who would be a good webhost. Googling turns up a lot of things that smell like lightly disguised advertising. Going to sites for some popular podcasting webhosts typically gives me one page of the broadest set of power point features and leaves me with dozens of questions.

Right now our practice episodes are roughly an hour and fifteen and come in at about 100MB. Initially the plan is biweekly, but I want more leeway in our plan than that if we choose to go weekly. It would also be really helpful if they can provide a basic website along with just hosting the mp3's with some brainless management so we don't have to put a lot of effort into that. Obviously, we're just starting out so we'll be lucky to get a hundred downloads an episode for a while. So basically we need more space than a lot of people seem to offer (biweekly means that there could be three episodes a month depending on how the weeks land, after all), less concerned about download limits, and would really like an idiot-proof website.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Podbean sounds like its right up your alley. You can customize your landing page, it throws everything up on RSS. Its as cheap as you are going to get if you're a budding podcast with a small start :)
My only advice would be record a couple backup episodes so can stick the schedule.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Adventure Incorporated

website | podbean | itunes | Patreon
Genre: Adventure / Fantasy / Comedy
Released: Every Monday

Description: A D&D live play podcast! We have a deep cosmology, fun characters, and a really long and exciting story. We all met in our college improv troupe, so theres a heavy comedy stint to the show. Its been a WHILE since I posted about it in here, but our D&D live play podcast is going very strong! We're just performed at DragonCon live, and have been growing steadily! Check us out!

Recommended starting point: Episode 4. We were getting our bearings in the first arc, but hit the ground running next arc. https://adventureinc.podbean.com/page/19/ (We also have yearly recaps. If you want to listen to a random episode and start from there, you can search back a quick overview of the plot so far.)

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 3, 2019

jimmsta
Oct 24, 2004

Shedding bell-end tears in the pocket of her resistance.
Grimey Drawer
Travels with Miriam

Website | iTunes | Google Play | Stitcher | Patreon

Genre
Comedy/Dark Humor

Release Schedule
Patreon subscribers get new episodes every Saturday. The episodes go public every following Wednesday

Overview
The show is about an 84 year old British woman named Miriam. Each episode takes us on an adventure to places she's either visited in her life, or had to deal with. The show manifested itself from the creation of the character and a long sordid backstory. Many episodes leave little breadcrumbs about Miriam's upbringing and life story. Combined with calls to various locales across the planet, Miriam leaves a trail of destruction in the wake of her travels. The show consists of small skits, calls to various businesses with very odd situations, and a dis-jointed look at the way society treats the elderly.

What we need
Patreon subscribers, Reviews on Google Play, iTunes, Stitcher

Recommended starting point: Episode 4. There's a bit of pre-episodic content that lays out a basic outline for the show, but was recorded years before the show itself began. This prologue episode can be found here. The show didn't hit its stride until Episode 4.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
This Golarion Life

https://thisgolarionlife.com/
RSS: https://pinecast.com/feed/this-golarion-life

Genre: Fantasy / Tabletop Gaming
Weekly releases

I'm part of a Pathfinder actual-play podcast (if you don't know what this is, imagine Dungeon and Dragons but with even more verbose rules) that's been running for a couple of years. The adventure path being played is Ironfang Invasion, which covers the plot of a strong empire's irregular army (monsters) invading a backwater, hillbilly nation. While there are of course serious moments and plot development, we often tell jokes and have a relaxed time. A few listeners have said it is a funny show, but I leave that up to you. The most recent episode, 47, is a good sample to give you an idea of how we do things, since it is a side plot and won't spoil anything from the main story.

Please give it a listen if D&D pods are your thing. We don't currently have a Patreon, but may go that direction if there is enough interest. If audio quality is a concern, all members have at least a Yeti Snowball mic, so you ears won't be devastated.

Content warning: we use curse words and murder things.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

The Bad Days

RSS: https://feeds.podiant.co/baddays/rss.xml

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the-bad-days

Genre: General discussion, politics, culture.

Release schedule: weekly

About
Three comrades discuss culture, politics, and video games.

We just relaunched and we're finding out footing.

I bought everyone decent mics recently and I am still learning how to get everyone's levels the same, and proper editing.

Any and all criticism is helpful.

Swumpster
Nov 28, 2013
sure, I'll check it out right when I get off work tonight.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Wanted to ask y'all for some advice:

I was considering turning my current rp-focused streaming show into an actual play podcast, but our early episodes have a few technical problems (background music and vocals on the same track, dealing with Twitch issues, losing one episode's audio, etc.). We solved a lot of those technical issues in later episodes and are managing to tell a pretty great story. Is it worth it to try to turn those early rough patches into a first season? Or should we start fresh with our "Season 2" arc?

Would love y'all's feedback.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this so apologies if it isn't.

Do you think its smart for someone trying to get in the podcast hobby to skip ahead to a good mic instead of a cheap entry-level one? I have my eye on a Audio Technica AT2035 and a decent interface mostly because I hate buying something that I would likely upgrade in the future since that will just leave junk hanging around.

For what it's worth, the room isn't treated with acoustic panels or anything and I have a fan running because of the warm climate. It's also technically not a podcast but more like a vlog in which I have a camera shooting from above (ala an Unboxing video) as I explain what that object is.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
If you have the money and can part with it, a good microphone is worth buying. No sense wasting $60 on a Snowball if you know for sure you want or need something better.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

It's also possible to clean up some of the ambient noise after the fact (like the sound of a fan, say), but a poor quality mic will limit what you can do with it.

And good mics are cheaper than they used to be. Everybody's getting one. When I get blasted by racial and transphobic slurs by children on PUBG, it is coming through way clearer than it used to.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone ever used Sharepoint online for podcast hosting? I was about to get a hosting account somewhere, but remembered that I've got a coped Microsoft E5 license through work that's got at least a TB of storage,

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I have a movie podcast called Filmography Club where I focus on the work of one filmmaker. I also do episodes called Filmography Club: Our Favorite Movies where my guests aren't "movie people" but just any ol' person with a favorite movie who wants to talk about it.

I host and edit the show.

I'm a part of the We Own This Town podcast family out of Nashville, who produces the show.

https://weownthistown.net/shows/filmography-club/

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 21, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I feel like my "Sss" sounds are very prominent and unpleasant, but I can't find any specific advice on talking better when recording beyond "Enunciate more" and "Open your mouth wider". Does anybody have any advice they could link me? Or is this a better question for the voice work thread?

I just started a sports podcast about the fictional game of Blaseball called Why I Love Blaseball. I don't have any podcasting or voice recording experience, so any feedback would be appreciated.

The first episode is Here, I guess, until I figure out if I want to host it somewhere else.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

a de-esser is your friend in this situation (just make sure not to go overboard, because it'll turn it into an unnatural-sounding lisp). lots of DAWs have them built in, but if you have a budget then iZotope RX has a good one i use for basically everything. alternately, you can set one up yourself with a multiband compressor, where you only compress between ≈5kHz-12kHz. if you don't already have one of the two built into your DAW, i'd suggest tracking down a de-esser over a multiband compressor since it'll probably be easier to use.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

CaptainViolence posted:

a de-esser is your friend in this situation (just make sure not to go overboard, because it'll turn it into an unnatural-sounding lisp). lots of DAWs have them built in, but if you have a budget then iZotope RX has a good one i use for basically everything. alternately, you can set one up yourself with a multiband compressor, where you only compress between ≈5kHz-12kHz. if you don't already have one of the two built into your DAW, i'd suggest tracking down a de-esser over a multiband compressor since it'll probably be easier to use.
Didn't quite feel like going in on the iZotope RX just yet, this is still a new hobby for me, but I found a plug-in for Audacity that seemed to do what you were describing. I tried it out and the Ess sounds still seem there, if a bit reduced, but I was afraid to push it too much. I also added repeating bed music throughout the entire podcast, not just for the into and outro. The level seems good to me, but maybe it's too quiet?

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1323568/5358481

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I literally can't hear any music during the main segment, if you have it in the episode you linked. Also, yeah, you're pretty ess-y, try cranking that poo poo up.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, the bed music is pretty quiet. it's been years since i've used audacity so i don't fully remember how it works, but i think there's a way to view the spectrogram and you'll be able to see your esses on there pretty distinctly. if you use that to help guide what frequencies to carve out with the de-esser, you can dial it in pretty well by ear. it's helpful to have a decent set of headphones, too. they can be especially helpful if you've been trying to mix on earbuds or built-in computer speakers, since those cut out a lot of low/mid frequencies.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm mostly a writer type but have recently expanded to podcasting as well, along with my good friend Armack. Have some copy and etc.

FeatureBang hosts Tara and Jim have a message for the world: adult films have plots, and sometimes they’re pretty interesting! Two amateur writers summarize feature length erotic films in their own words, providing narrative analysis, topical insights, and lots of jokes along the way. For anyone who agrees that the naughtiest parts of any erotic film are the plot holes.

FeatureBang.com
https://twitter.com/FeatureBang
Youtube
Spotify

Dark Wombat
Oct 11, 2002
A little over a year ago, I was trying to show some friends just how bad dating apps can be, and one of them decided to dramatically read out some of the screenshots I'd taken. I took more screenshots, and we started recording. We are Swiping Left, and we dive down to the bottom of The Internet and bring up the worst, weirdest, and wildest attempts at finding a partner that we can find, with all information anonymized, of course. I just finished editing our 69th episode, and we all decided to get off our butts and start promoting it. Let us know what you think! We are currently limited to our current recording location and equipment, so the quality isn't amazing, but we are working on that and would love feedback there as well.

https://twitter.com/swipeleftpod
https://audioboom.com/channels/5001179.rss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ-39iKSQatfgr9qwAYrQ7g
swipingleftpodcast@gmail.com

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

The show's name: Fortified Niche
The show's website URL: https://twitter.com/fortifiedniche
iTunes URL or RSS URL: https://anchor.fm/s/707a3d00/podcast/rss
The show's genre: ...gaming?
Release schedule: Mondays, twice a month.
A brief description of what your show's all about :

Dreamt-up by me, JcDent, and co-hosted by Cassa, Fortified Niche s a podcast about smaller (read: not published by GW, Mantic or PP) miniature wargames!

Maybe we should have said "indie wargames" to make it clearer, but eeeh. Half the reason I made the podcast is because I got jealous of the friendships and camaraderie I sensed while listening to IDEOTV and System Mastery.

Thus far, we have covered games like Grimdark Future (twice!), Turnip28, Xenos Rampant, BPRE28mm, and TECHNOBOWL.

Our latest episode is special: it's our first interview! David Phipps has created (together with his daughter) the podcast-favorite Pulp Alley ruleset and he shared some very cool thoughts about the game, rules development, and just gaming experience in general.

Part of the reason why I'm sharing this episode specifically is because I think it was a very interesting talk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is Zoom and OBS everything I need for recording, or can I expect to mess around with audio data in Audacity? Trying this for the first time, and not sure what I should think of beforehand.

Ideally I'd like to publish it on Youtube.