Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just finished Fires of Heaven. Last half of the book was actually really good. Hard to believe that the incredibly boring-as-hell first half was part of the same book. Just started Lord of Chaos, and the stuff about the "Great"/Dark Lord in the prologue is pretty cool.

Sanderson def has a different voice for the characters when he takes over for the last 3 books. not bad really, but Mat def feels different - other than the Last Battle chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I like that I'm finally getting some behind the scenes stuff from the forsaken. Seeing their point of view and their plots is pretty rad.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

CoolHandMat posted:

Sanderson def has a different voice for the characters when he takes over for the last 3 books. not bad really, but Mat def feels different - other than the Last Battle chapter.

If I recall, Sanderson tries to avoid talking about which sections he wrote versus what sections Jordan wrote. But he specifically called out a few places where people complained loudly that he had Mat's voice wrong as being written by Jordan, not him.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Wow, I just consumed the Mistborn trilogy over the course of 3 weeks and can't loving believe how good it was. Then I came into the Book Barn for the first time and found out there's another book in the same world. And also a 10-book series by the same guy?! I guess I know what my next 11 books are gonna be.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Papercut posted:

Wow, I just consumed the Mistborn trilogy over the course of 3 weeks and can't loving believe how good it was. Then I came into the Book Barn for the first time and found out there's another book in the same world. And also a 10-book series by the same guy?! I guess I know what my next 11 books are gonna be.

If you mean wheel of time that was mainly Robert Jordan's series, completed by Sanderson after Jordan passed away.

Sanderson plans the stormlight archive to be his great fantasy epic but there's only 3 books so far and there are concerns the story is kinda getting away from him (oathbringer was very long and a bit weaker than the first two).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Papercut posted:

the 10 book book franchise only has three out so far though - I think it's expected to be finished circa 2040

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mewse posted:

If you mean wheel of time that was mainly Robert Jordan's series, completed by Sanderson after Jordan passed away.

Sanderson plans the stormlight archive to be his great fantasy epic but there's only 3 books so far and there are concerns the story is kinda getting away from him (oathbringer was very long and a bit weaker than the first two).

Argh

I read the first 6-7 WoT books like 5 times when I was a kid, but quit before Sanderson took over. So I could check it out again while waiting for Stormlight.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Papercut posted:

A non-exhaustive list -

Cosmere (all in the same universe):

Mistborn Trilogy
Wax and Wayne trilogy (set on the same world, centuries in the future in a Wild West setting)
(Future Mistborn, waaay in the future like with spaceships, currently in planning stages)

Elantris
Emperor’s Soul (set on same world as Elantris but completely different continent, also his best work)
(Elantris sequel, planned soon)

Stormlight Archives:
The Way of Kings
Words of Radiance
Oathbringer

Warbreaker (some characters show up in Stormlight)

Non-Cosmere:
The Reckoners series (Steelheart, Firefight, Calamity)

The Rithmatist series

Legion

And a few short story collections thrown into the mix

So while there isn’t a ten book series quite yet, there are at least ten books in the same universe :spergin:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

That's actually a really helpful list, thanks!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Mistborn Trilogy
Wax and Wayne trilogy (set on the same world, centuries in the future in a Wild West setting)
(Future Mistborn, waaay in the future like with spaceships, currently in planning stages)

last i read, there's actually two 'future mistborn' series in the works - the next series (after the final wax/wayne book) is being described as like a '1980s spy thriller.'

then, apparently at the very end of the cosmere timeline post- book 10 of stormlight, there's the far future spaceships one. though maybe with unlimited magic available, spaceships don't take that long to get to from 1980s tech.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

A non-exhaustive list -

Mistborn Trilogy

He also is going to write a "present-era" Mistborn trilogy in an era with technological development similar to the 80s. It was originally going to be three trilogies but he enjoyed the setting and characters from Alloy of Law so much he turned it into a trilogy. Then he added another book to it just for good measure.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ekeog posted:

last i read, there's actually two 'future mistborn' series in the works - the next series (after the final wax/wayne book) is being described as like a '1980s spy thriller.'

then, apparently at the very end of the cosmere timeline post- book 10 of stormlight, there's the far future spaceships one. though maybe with unlimited magic available, spaceships don't take that long to get to from 1980s tech.

Also maybe a 1940s/50s mistborn series

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Also maybe a 1940s/50s mistborn series

lol - i saw sanderson joking that basically, he thinks he can write all the books he's planned before he dies but there's not room to add many more to the list.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
At the speed Sanderson writes he'd be done with all of those in the next 20 years if he only takes on a few more projects here and there along the way. He's a human printing press.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

At the speed Sanderson writes he'd be done with all of those in the next 20 years if he only takes on a few more projects here and there along the way. He's a human printing press.

Yeah, wasn’t the entire 1st draft of Legion written during the course of a non-stop international flight?

mewse
May 2, 2006

You guys had me spooked that I missed the last wax and wayne book but it's book 4 and isn't out yet.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, wasn’t the entire 1st draft of Legion written during the course of a non-stop international flight?

Same with the first Wax and Wayne too iirc

Steelheart came about when he was mad in traffic

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

DarkHorse posted:

Same with the first Wax and Wayne too iirc

Steelheart came about when he was mad in traffic

To be honest, given the choice I would turn all of Chicago to steel as well because that traffic sucks.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Frabba posted:

To be honest, given the choice I would turn all of Chicago to steel as well because that traffic sucks.

I think you mean Newcago. (books bad, name great)

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
New preview of Skyward at io9: here.

It's not the Lost Metal, but it will do in a pinch.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I read all 6 Mistborn books in like a month in 2016, but I never got around to Secret History. Today I picked up Arcanum Unbounded from the library. I loved Mistborn, but I have a terrible memory. Is there anything major I need to remember before I jump into Secret History?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lester Shy posted:

I read all 7 Mistborn books in like a month in 2016, but I never got around to Secret History. Today I picked up Arcanum Unbounded from the library. I loved Mistborn, but I have a terrible memory. Is there anything major I need to remember before I jump into Secret History?

Not really. It gives a new perspective on a handful of events, mostly in The Hero of Ages. I hadn't read the original trilogy in years when I read Secret History and was fine.

It's more a Cosmere book than a Mistborn book in many ways.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I finished Arcanum Unbounded just a couple months ago but I only liked about half of the stories.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I inhale all things Sanderson, but for the life of me I can’t remember if I made it all the way through Arcanum Unbound :shrug:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Here's a mini review for each:

The Hope of Elantris: This one bored me and I skipped it. I haven't read Elantris so maybe that's why.

The Eleventh Metal: This story is a very small prequel to Mistobrn, it doesn't have anything particularly exciting but you get to learn a bit about Kelsier's past.

The Emperor's Soul: This was probably my favorite story, both the magic and plot were interesting.

Allomancer Jak: This has a gimmick where Jak is telling his tales and adventures while his assistant adds sarcastic comments in between. The story was okay but the gimmick annoyed me. I guess this was meant to be a bit funny but Sanderson's humor usually doesn't click for me.

White Sand: This one is fun albeit not too deep. Gives you a glimpse into another planet in the Cosmere.

Shadows for Silence: At first I wasn't really getting into this world but by the end I enjoyed it.

Sixth of Dusk: This one also bored me, I didn't really care about Sixth or his birds.

Secret History: This one is a bit disjointed (and Sanderson acknowledges it) but I still enjoyed it since it has a lot of info about the Cosmere. It talks about Kelsier's after he dies and how he helps resolve the events of Mistborn.

Edgedancer: This one also bored me despite Stormlight Archives being my favorite story/world so far. I find Lift to be to annoying in a "lol I'm so random" sort of way.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 11, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Emperor's Soul is a treatise on how magic works.

If magic was real, Emperor's Soul is a really viable way for how and why it works.

Read it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's the built in backing behind how D&D magic works in my brain now, and I've received comments on how tangible stock magic use in my campaigns feels with that added color.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Potato Salad posted:

The Emperor's Soul is a treatise on how magic works.

This is far and away my favorite thing that Sanderson has ever done. Sweet brevity.

Sanderson has all the components of a really good writer except efficiency. I don't think anything he's ever written couldn't be improved by cutting 25% of it. I am saying this as a pretty big fan of Jordan's WoT entries.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

This is far and away my favorite thing that Sanderson has ever done. Sweet brevity.

Sanderson has all the components of a really good writer except efficiency. I don't think anything he's ever written couldn't be improved by cutting 25% of it. I am saying this as a pretty big fan of Jordan's WoT entries.

Let's be honest you could cut out about half of the original mistborn trilogy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tunicate posted:

Let's be honest you could cut out about half of the original mistborn trilogy

Eh only like a fourth.

Mostly the repetitive description of how his magic works.

Give it to us once and then put it in those end of the book supplement materials you love so much Jesus.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh only like a fourth.

Mostly the repetitive description of how his magic works.

Give it to us once and then put it in those end of the book supplement materials you love so much Jesus.

You could cut 90% of Well of Ascension alone :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well of ascension owns

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I really can't get into Mistborn Era 2...

I read fantasy for fantasy. Not western steampunk crap. It also doesn't help I hate the magic system in Mistborn because of how easy/cheap it is to use (chug down vials and vials of metals!). I know I will have to slog through it though because of how much major Cosmere stuff is in it. And Era 3 being some 80s spy themed series sounds awful to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

insider posted:

I really can't get into Mistborn Era 2...

I read fantasy for fantasy. Not western steampunk crap. It also doesn't help I hate the magic system in Mistborn because of how easy/cheap it is to use (chug down vials and vials of metals!). I know I will have to slog through it though because of how much major Cosmere stuff is in it. And Era 3 being some 80s spy themed series sounds awful to me.

Why do you read them if you don’t like them? If the context is necessary for other books, just hit the Cosmere wiki.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mistborn Era 2 contains some of Sanderson's flat out best work and best written characters, these books are so much better than the original Mistborn trilogy, they really put them to shame. In themes, characters, dialogue, all of it really. They are easily some of Sanderson's best stuff, only really being overshadowed by The Emperor's Soul.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I vastly prefer the original trilogy.

Wax is okay.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Put me down on the 2nd Era side. Shootouts and magic, gently caress yeah.

With none of that silly "magic somehow interferes with basic mechanical or chemical interactions so your guns misfire half the time" junk in, say, Dresden.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I like that it's the other way around. Cool steel pushing powers I heard you like aluminum bullets.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I started Elantris last night. I've heard it's his worst book, so I was surprised how the first few chapters grabbed me, but I hope it doesn't get bogged down in Mistborn 1/2 house war-style intrigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lester Shy posted:

I started Elantris last night. I've heard it's his worst book, so I was surprised how the first few chapters grabbed me, but I hope it doesn't get bogged down in Mistborn 1/2 house war-style intrigue.

It doesn't get that bogged down. Honestly I like Elantris a lot more than Mistborn 2 (Well of Ascension).

Hrathren is a really good character.