Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

BlackMK4 posted:

FA5 is ugly and has major paint issues

I had a 2008 in Fiji Blue. Got the extension on the warranty for the paint, but mine didn't start going to poo poo until that had expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm new to hatches and cars and we'll...driving.

Also this thread is long.

But is the '15 Mitsubishi Mirage I drive considered a hot hatch?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AndyElusive posted:

But is the '15 Mitsubishi Mirage I drive considered a hot hatch?

:lol:

It is a hatch, yes. However, it's very, very cold.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My hatred for it is pretty hot. Seething, in fact.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Midjack posted:

Stick a K20A2 in it. :getin:

http://www.4pistonracing.com/engine/longblocks?partsfor=7

Some good choices here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

Still havent washed the car after a few sessions at Mid Ohio a couple weekends ago :)

You have balls leaving that dust there :lol:

PaintVagrant posted:

New pads, rotors and koni yellows w swift springs :black101::moonrio:

ayyyyy

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BlackMK4 posted:

You have balls leaving that dust there :lol:

ayyyyy

I waxed the poo poo out of it before the weekend, so hopefully a quick wash will take care of it this time...

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I've learned that best practice is to take a dry microfiber cloth to it first, and pray during the wash.

Brake dust is a bitch with these cars.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Larrymer posted:

:lol:

It is a hatch, yes. However, it's very, very cold.

I wasn't familiar with it and had to Google. Oh my god, 78hp. No. It is not a hot hatch.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

drat.

I be cold hatchin it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

A hatch is as hot as you drive it, in my opinion. Hot hatch is a state of mind :frogc00l:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PaintVagrant posted:

A hatch is as hot as you drive it, in my opinion. Hot hatch is a state of mind :frogc00l:

You clearly haven’t driven a modern (or at least as modern as they get) Mirage.

Most garbage low end stuff like the Fiat Punto is kinda rewarding to push even with no power and no grip. The Mirage isn’t though even with the manual transmission. Good warranty though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Alignment shop was able to get me -2.5 degrees of camber up front using camber bolts. With only a day of settling the Konis+Swift’s feels REALLY good.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

dissss posted:

You clearly haven’t driven a modern (or at least as modern as they get) Mirage.

Most garbage low end stuff like the Fiat Punto is kinda rewarding to push even with no power and no grip. The Mirage isn’t though even with the manual transmission. Good warranty though.

Even the wife's versa note is fun to push, specifically because it feels so dicey. Hot hatchin is definitely a state of mind up to a certain point.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I learned manual on my grandpas ‘85 indian market Maruthi 800 hatch, a blazing 37HP from a Suzuki 3 cyl. In India, calling them “roads” would be a bit generous; we would essentially be rallying this poor car around the villages. It really is a state of mind.

Since the Japan thread, I’ve been toying around with the idea of importing it back to America, it’s still sitting there in my grandpas garage. One day...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I just got grey wheels so the brake dust doesn't really show up as much

gently caress cleaning the drat wheels every week

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I just got grey wheels so the brake dust doesn't really show up as much

gently caress cleaning the drat wheels every week

I get lots of compliments on my "matte black" wheels on my RS.

They're not matte

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
If anyone remembers, ages ago I was looking to buy some new wheels. I ended up deciding to get some Rays Volk Racing TE37 Sagas.

Well, after 4 months they finally arrived from Japan!

Here are the details for those that are interested:

• TE37 Saga, Bronze (BR).

• 18x8, 5/112, +50, FACE-1 (no concave).

• Rays center caps, Bronze (almite) (Type "2").

• 225/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres.

I'm really happy with how they turned out. I was concerned that the bronze might be too gold and blingy, but in my opinion it's just the right amount of understated 'warm' to work perfectly with the Tornado Red paint. I would have liked to have gotten a concaved wheel, but the design means it wasn't possible without them sticking out too far.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That looks freaking fantastic. Amazing what a difference that makes compared to the stock GTI options.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

dissss posted:

That looks freaking fantastic. Amazing what a difference that makes compared to the stock GTI options.

Thanks man :3:

I actually like the stock "Austin" wheels quite a bit (otherwise known as "Milton Keynes" here in Australia). But they're heavy, which is the main problem, and everyone has them which makes the car look a little cookie-cutter.

Opiumden34
Oct 6, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

I miss my Fa5. If it wasn’t so brutally difficult to work on... it’s basically the perfect daily driver. That being said I’m a total Ford guy now. I love my FiST and daydream of an s550 track car.

I have a gray FG2 and I kind of hate it, especially for a daily driver. Mostly because of the gearing and the poor gas mileage I get with it. I don't even drive the thing like I'd like to. I sure do miss having a hatch :(

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GTI goons, recommend me a windshield sun shade thingy. The VW made one seems to fit extremely well, but is a pain to roll up. Anyone have a folding version that fits very well?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

Don’t be too envious, I ran 2 sessions and scratched the other 8 because of the rain. It is an awesome track though, real racecar poo poo.

Why would you do this? Just go slower and learn car control. Is the track a death trap with no run off?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Goons,

why shouldn't I buy a Focus RS?

I currently drive a BRZ, and while wonderful to drive, I can't get the goofy grin out of my mind that I got following one around and hearing it burble and pop. They look like a lot of fun. I sat in one and it's a bit more comfortable for me at 6'4"...

Am I doomed?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking as someone who owns a Focus RS, you should totally buy a Focus RS.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My only reason for not looking at them is the roads here are way too flat and straight, and that money would buy a lot of Corvette or CTS V.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 1, 2018

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Also a Focus RS owner. Never not buy a Focus RS if you get the chance. I’ve never had so much fun in my life in a car before. Pretty much a poo poo eating grin every time I drive it. Also the pops and burbles.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

buy the gently caress out of that RS.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Buy the rs.

Don't bother mulling it over, just do it. You'll have a lot of fun, and you can call it your practical car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Now that Ford is cutting it's lineup to just the mustang plus SUV/CUVs, the RS will be a future classic.

Buy the RS.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Focus ST goons, is there a way to have sport mode enabled by default? Will I have to spend every day wondering why my car is driving funny for the first 10 minutes until I remember again?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

A GTI R passed me by during my commute home today. What's protocol exactly? Fight him? Wave? Kiss?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Warbird posted:

A GTI R passed me by during my commute home today. What's protocol exactly? Fight him? Wave? Kiss?

Jump out of your car and smoosh your balls on his windshield.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Jump out of your car and smoosh your balls on his windshield.

Like in The Counselor?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Just starting to shop Focus ST’s, nobody in my area has more than the base configuration. For the ‘18’s, is there anything I’m missing out on instead of getting the 2 or 3 level that’s worth anything? I’m assuming the head unit can be replaced pretty easy?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

savesthedayrocks posted:

Just starting to shop Focus ST’s, nobody in my area has more than the base configuration. For the ‘18’s, is there anything I’m missing out on instead of getting the 2 or 3 level that’s worth anything? I’m assuming the head unit can be replaced pretty easy?

You'd miss out on the recaros, and heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel if those are important. I'm not positive the head unit is easy to change, it's fairly integrated with the whole sync system. It should run android auto/carplay though, which is pretty good.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Perfect, thanks. Car play is literally all I need. I’ve thought about the recaro’s and heated stuff. I guess they would be nice, but hoping that sitting in one will help me decide.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

You don’t get CarPlay or android auto on the base focus trim.

Torraque
May 18, 2014

xsf421 posted:

You'd miss out on the recaros, and heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel if those are important. I'm not positive the head unit is easy to change, it's fairly integrated with the whole sync system. It should run android auto/carplay though, which is pretty good.

You also don't get the HIDs or cornering lights on the base trim, or the sunroof.

I ended up with a base trim because I like the cloth seats a lot better (they're still recaros) than the leather, and didn't want the other tech. The head unit is probably not replaceable, it's totally different to the ST2/ST3 head unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I need at least a ST2 since I can’t go back to halogens or not having CarPlay.