Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

most companies are not the size or do not see the traffic necessary to have engineers spend time making sure there are no points of failure in the infra when a 5-10 minutes outages with a person restarting a server is going to be fine for most cases.

Those that are really nervous, like stores around black friday, can just overstaff or overprovision for a few weeks a year.

Chaos engineering when done netflix-style is usually done by purely online businesses that have engineering departments in a good enough shape to want to purposefully cause small outages to prevent larger ones. Most places are not at that stage to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Space Whale posted:

Apparently my mindset of always anticipating poo poo going pear shaped and picking things apart to test them, and then always testing the whole regression, is a very marketable skill. And my constant triage in life is good for looking at what can blow up in a big system.

:unsmith:

Curiously I think that I might have put bugs in the ear of the interview to use himself even if I'm not hired lol.

https://boyter.org/2016/07/chaos-testing-engineering/ Also "Chaos Engineering" immediately struck me as what I was born for. How do I become a code monkey who makes monkeys?

im the apostrophe's

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

MononcQc posted:

most companies are not the size or do not see the traffic necessary to have engineers spend time making sure there are no points of failure in the infra when a 5-10 minutes outages with a person restarting a server is going to be fine for most cases.

Those that are really nervous, like stores around black friday, can just overstaff or overprovision for a few weeks a year.

Chaos engineering when done netflix-style is usually done by purely online businesses that have engineering departments in a good enough shape to want to purposefully cause small outages to prevent larger ones. Most places are not at that stage to begin with.

pretty much this.

i'd suggest that a lot more places _think_ they need these sort of optimizations because they're unwilling or unable to invest in other systemic and architectural changes to shore up basic deficiencies in their code base because that's hard, meanwhile your CTO reading some articles and wanting topics to do tech talks about is much easier (from their perspective)

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Space Whale posted:

Apparently my mindset of always anticipating poo poo going pear shaped and picking things apart to test them, and then always testing the whole regression, is a very marketable skill. And my constant triage in life is good for looking at what can blow up in a big system.

:unsmith:

Curiously I think that I might have put bugs in the ear of the interview to use himself even if I'm not hired lol.

https://boyter.org/2016/07/chaos-testing-engineering/ Also "Chaos Engineering" immediately struck me as what I was born for. How do I become a code monkey who makes monkeys?
i know someone who took a job a while back at Indeed doing that. haven't talked to them in a while, but that's at least one company that does it.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

how do you all feel about providing references when applying for a job? like, i don't mind giving references once i've made contact with the company but i'm not really into shoving people's contact info into a random job portal

edit: also all my references have died or moved lol

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Shaman Linavi posted:

same. RIP Bill. dude crushed a 12 pack of old Milwaukee and 2 packs of Basic menthols a day. :(

i got a “final interview” tomorrow for a job that requires zero driving to commute. I’m pretty sure i got this, just so long as i don’t say something racist or crap my pants. i think the commute can be just as (and possibly moreso) taxing as any given actual job, so i’m kinda stoked.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Shaman Linavi posted:

how do you all feel about providing references when applying for a job? like, i don't mind giving references once i've made contact with the company but i'm not really into shoving people's contact info into a random job portal

available upon request

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Dongslayer. posted:

available upon request

this is what i ended up putting in all 3 of the required reference spaces on the portal

i also have my first "interview" scheduled through Hired so that should be fun

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Dongslayer. posted:

available upon request

Pretty much this. References are such a waste of time though, the candidate is only going to suggest someone who will give them a favourable review. It's also telling when a company asks for references, that is they're probably run by old people who are stuck in the 1970s mindset.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Symbolic Butt posted:

honestly it's mostly about if you've seen the problem or a variation of the problem before, because then you go straight to writing the right classes/methods.

if it's a completely new problem to you, you just gotta pray that the interviewer is able to appreciate you brainstorming some ideas that maybe converge to the right design. (in my experience OOP is not very good with this :ssh:)

but yeah my point is that experience is the key, practice these kind of questions and look up the answers.

Isn't that EXACTLY the wrong way to do interviews? If candidates can study for it, it's a pretty poo poo way to test if they can think, since you're really testing if they memorized poo poo.

:smith: :respek: :geno:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Just got an email from a recruiter talking to me about this amazing new opportunity at a "startup" that is backed by a $5Bn valued major player so it's the best of both worlds! and you get to play with the latest cutting edge tech: "They works with the latest stuff - They do Grails, AngularJS, TypeScript, ES6, npm, node, webpack, Gradle, Sass, Spring and willing to train on it. We are looking for good Java Developers."
aren't we all?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Space Whale posted:

Isn't that EXACTLY the wrong way to do interviews? If candidates can study for it, it's a pretty poo poo way to test if they can think, since you're really testing if they memorized poo poo.

Disagreed, freshening yourself up on core techs which you might not have used in a while but will be tested on none the less is important. Unless you just apply for jobs that are a 95% fit for what you're doing currently.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
had a really fun talk with some people over in ops for an internal temporary gig, and they repeatedly said ‘yeah we are a new team and we need all the help we can get’ so I guess that bodes well for me

‘why do you like ops?’
‘you work with everyone and learn a bit about everything and despite it being a crushing workload it’s fulfilling at the end of the day’

‘is international travel okay?’
‘I have a fully valid China visa’
‘oh dang, that’s extremely good’

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Jimmy Carter posted:

‘why do you like ops?’
‘you work with everyone and learn a bit about everything and despite it being a crushing workload it’s fulfilling at the end of the day’

im stealing this for my next interview thx

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Sounds like Jimmy Carter is getting his first job since the 80's

Symbolic Butt posted:

im stealing this for my next interview thx

:same:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

TimWinter posted:

Sounds like Jimmy Carter is getting his first job since the 80's
first ABBA now this :wow:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the page number has good ideas for how to really ace an interview

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

I don't mind saying a number first, I've got a pretty good handle on what I can get and what I should walk away from. The worst thing is going through an entire interview process and be given an offer that isn't even close to what it would take for you to switch jobs, so I'm happy to screen those clowns out early if possible.

unfortunately it's not possible

every prospective employer has a number in mind for what they want to pay, but the earlier you get that number from them, the less correct it will be

as they spend more time with you, and you get closer to closing the deal, their willingness to pay will often increase, often very considerably.

this is also why recruiters will send you out to a job whose advertised pay band is $30-50k less than you are looking for -- they assume the pay will go up after they get their teeth into a candidate

the worst problem of course is that you don't know how elastic the pay band really is. until you go through the whole process, you won't find out how much they can "stretch." there's no easy solution :(

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaman Linavi posted:

i won't give up a reference until we are post-interview and it's coming down to a narrow hiring decision

companies that ask for references early are run by assholes, gently caress'em

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Space Whale posted:

doesn't matter if it's poo poo

that's how people actually do it, so it behooves you to study up

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
never provide references to a third party recruiter, they're fishing for contacts

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
so my group finished interviewing and selected a candidate. I asked my boss if I could write back the interviewees we didn't pick and give feedback.

"That takes time. Prioritize."

sorry people we interviewed. I tried. :(

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pendragon posted:

so my group finished interviewing and selected a candidate. I asked my boss if I could write back the interviewees we didn't pick and give feedback.

"That takes time. Prioritize."

sorry people we interviewed. I tried. :(

lol your boss is a dick

also just do it anyways it's not like he'll know

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

qhat posted:

Disagreed, freshening yourself up on core techs which you might not have used in a while but will be tested on none the less is important. Unless you just apply for jobs that are a 95% fit for what you're doing currently.

Staying fresh on concepts and technologies by being able to really understand use use and apply them? Oh absolutely that's a good.

Stuff like "memorize the canonical way to OOP a Sudoku or tic-tac-toe for an interview" isn't the same as "do OOP for something new to both of us" and talk through the process. That's what I mean.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

doesn't matter if it's poo poo

that's how people actually do it, so it behooves you to study up

Oh I am.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So if people think SQL can't scale horizontally (sharding?) and you gotta do stuff in the :cloud: and you need to go NoSQL is this a redflag?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Gazpacho posted:

never provide references to a third party recruiter, they're fishing for contacts

This makes sense of how my recruiter cold calls went through the roof recently.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Space Whale posted:

So if people think SQL can't scale horizontally (sharding?) and you gotta do stuff in the :cloud: and you need to go NoSQL is this a redflag?

yes. this is resume-driven development.

a competently designed and administrated traditional database cluster can get you surprisingly far, and judicious use of application-level partitioning can get you further still.

your poo poo startup is not amazon or google, you do not need amazon or google-scale solutions for your 100 daily active users.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

Not necessarily, it depends on how much experience the team has on building and maintaining a distributed database. Lots of cloud providers have NoSQL databases as a service that deals with a lot of that for you. It could be that storing documents in a NoSQL db is the right move, and they were just shoehorning it into a sql database because of momentum at the time they made the product and now they see an opportunity to do it right.

But probably not, and go with what Sapozhnik said

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

yes. this is resume-driven development.

a competently designed and administrated traditional database cluster can get you surprisingly far, and judicious use of application-level partitioning can get you further still.

your poo poo startup is not amazon or google, you do not need amazon or google-scale solutions for your 100 daily active users.

5000 tho and a tb of data?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
good heavens, an entire terabyte you say?

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 27, 2018

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Sapozhnik posted:

That's kind of how I felt about it but wanted some feedback from people who aren't just OMG DYNAMODB!!1one

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sapozhnik posted:

thats a lot of anime

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Space Whale posted:

5000 tho and a tb of data?

this stuff is always really funny

like, i work with embedded hardware that has a 400mhz processor and 256mb of ram. with how people treat the things sometimes you'd think that databases didn't exist before 1998

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that's almost an entire sixteenth of a commodity server's ram

when you've got a working set that can't fit into a single instance's ram then you start thinking about application level sharding

when you're google or facebook or amazon and your business data is a gigantic planet-spanning graph, that's the point at which you bust out the super-heavy weaponry.

i mean don't get me wrong it's pretty cool that you can get (something that resembles) the software that runs these sorts of operations for free to play around with and study, but these systems require a highly knowledgeable and focused operations and engineering organization to effectively manage, and that tribal knowledge will remain tribal knowledge and not become easily taught and disseminated simply because very few companies actually work at that level. given the political effects they are causing, there is an argument that very few companies should work at that level, but that is an entirely different conversation.

long story short anybody who uses warehouse-scale distributed db systems willingly is an idiot, it's what you use when you're so huge that you have no other choice.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also a disclaimer, i don't actually have much practical experience with this stuff so uhh don't use my shitposting to make career-impacting decisions.

still, i don't think it's controversial to state that the tendency of "nosql" databases to turn your operations experience into a living hell is well documented.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't know why but there's a team in my company using some dynamodbs because they think a million records is apparently too much data to query on without nosql. This is the same team whose webpage load time I brought down from 15 seconds to half a second by adding a single index to one of the SQL tables they do have.

The funniest thing is they're not even sharding their dynamodbs rofl.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Space Whale posted:

ehhh this isn’t wrong but it’s not right either. definitely not a red flag though. that’s perfect for follow up questions to see just how experienced they are in certain domains though.

(full disclosure i work for a nosql database company)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but then again, if you don't have this kind of architecture how will anyone make money?
https://twitter.com/internetofshit/status/986006653605687296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm fully convinced that a lot of the people that are using nosql think it's a data store that uses black magic incantations to somehow make sorting over millions of records an order of magnitude faster than just running a query on an index.