Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/TaterTalkPod/status/989964055195549703

This 64 mph curve from Yu :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Assuming no rainouts, by the end of this weekend's series, the Braves will have played 27 games, 9 of them against the Phillies. They will play yet another series against them in May, and then not see them at all until playing 7 of the last 10 games of the season against them, a four-month gap.

Schedule makers: what the gently caress?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

He's so good :allears:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

RE: catching historical HRs or other meaningful things

While I'm definitely attracted to the idea of making a hefty profit off someone's first major league home run or a world series winning HR or something like that, I don't know if it'd be worth the sheer level of poo poo you'd receive from sports press and especially social media. I'm kinda getting anxiety just thinking about it.

Id definitely want an autographed ball and a picture with the player and probably money to blow in the team store. Other than that I don't know if I could consciencely ask for more.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Popete posted:

Like the Pirates.
Not just the 1993-2013 Pirates but also the 1980s coke Pirates and the 1927-1959 Pirates :stonk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I saw that.

loving nasty.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Has anybody ever crushed one of Yu's eephuses? I've seen plenty of highlights where he strikes somebody out with that but I don't recall seeing anybody send one to the moon yet.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Has anybody ever crushed one of Yu's eephuses? I've seen plenty of highlights where he strikes somebody out with that but I don't recall seeing anybody send one to the moon yet.

Not that but just a reminder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW0V6OsxDBo

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It’s so weird to see games from that era and see them as ancient

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Yu only ever throws like 1 a game which is probably why it hasn't really backfired on him. Throwing back to back is just asking for it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Yu only ever throws like 1 a game which is probably why it hasn't really backfired on him. Throwing back to back is just asking for it.

I can't believe El Duque thought he could get that by A-Rod.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

It is still just such a weird, weird feeling that I am old enough to remember the entire long career of a historic player like ARod

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Hmmmmm pretty sure the Oakland Athletics are the best team in baseball, everyone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Senf posted:

Hmmmmm pretty sure the Oakland Athletics are the best team in baseball, everyone.

Tampa Bay rays have won 7 games in a row.

Baseball, you're drunk go home.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

The Rockies 1-0 victory tonight was the first time a relief pitcher had driven in the only run of the game since Joe Neikro did it in a game on Aug 23, 1980. The Astros beat the Cubs 1-0 in a 17-inning game.

holy poo poo what.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 28, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
DFA Keuchel and Joe Smith imo

No, I’m not bitter about this week, these are totally objective opinions :colbert:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

will_colorado posted:

The Rockies 1-0 victory tonight was the first time a relief pitcher had driven in the only run of the game since Joe Neikro did it in a game on Aug 23, 1980. The Astros beat the Cubs 1-0 in a 17-inning game.

holy poo poo what.

owns

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

will_colorado posted:

holy poo poo what.

gently caress the DH that's what

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

I'm trying to find the only 9 inning 1-0 game where a reliever drove in the only run and haven't found it yet.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm trying to imagine how many more games the Cardinals would win without Mike Matheny managing this team.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
hmmm yes I too like watching ABs from players who perform well below average. It makes it own really hard when one of them actually does get a hit.

A modern day David and Goliath if you will, except the entire village is screaming for David to get out of the drat way so real men can take care of this giant nonsense.

For further reading on the subject

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Mike_V posted:

I'm trying to imagine how many more games the Cardinals would win without Mike Matheny managing this team.

he's loving awful and he mr. magoo'd his way to every success thus far

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

will_colorado posted:

I'm trying to find the only 9 inning 1-0 game where a reliever drove in the only run and haven't found it yet.

tonight's game might have been the only 9 inning game ever for this, holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/StatsBySTATS/status/990059378131853312

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

hmmm yes I too like watching ABs from players who perform well below average. It makes it own really hard when one of them actually does get a hit.

A modern day David and Goliath if you will, except the entire village is screaming for David to get out of the drat way so real men can take care of this giant nonsense.

For further reading on the subject

Hating fun must rule.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
*Matt Kemp pulled with left quad tightness*

Oh poo poo it’s 2012 and the last 6 years were nothing but a horrible nightmare, I have my life to do over without any fucku—

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mister Perky posted:

gently caress the DH that's what

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Ohtani hurt his ankle tonight while running the bases after his home run. I dunno if that's an argument for or against the DH to be honest.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Inspector_666 posted:

Ohtani hurt his ankle tonight while running the bases after his home run. I dunno if that's an argument for or against the DH to be honest.

He should have bunted

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Inspector_666 posted:

It was on his broken bat ground out but technically it was after his home run the previous at bat.

Luckily it was on his good ankle.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

It was on his broken bat ground out but technically it was after his home run the previous at bat.

Luckily it was on his good ankle.

Yeah whoops, forgot about his 2nd AB for some reason.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Spoeank posted:

Hating fun must rule.

Owns bones like watching fat men who can't run crush monster dongs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Owns bones like watching fat men who can't run crush monster dongs

what about fat men who can't run running
https://www.mlb.com/video/albers-doubles-in-the-13th/c-763591683

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Kind of bummed, I was looking forward to Ohtani facing Tanaka tomorrow but I'm glad it doesn't sound serious.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hey, hey, hey! It's Maaaaaatt Albers!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The entirely-too-late decision of if he should start to slide is the best part.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/990074335888117760

What is the single season home run record for a player against a single team? Probably Barry, Mcguire or Sosa against someone I'd imagine? I believe 7 already ties (or maybe broke?) the single season record for opposing players in Kauffman (all the Sox games against KC have been there so far). I'm sure there haven't been many Royals who had 7 in Kauffman before May.

In completely unrelated news I'm starting to think the Royals have pitching problems.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

What is the single season home run record for a player against a single team?

Found this article which says it's Gehrig's 14 v. Cleveland in 1936:

http://www.highheatstats.com/2014/01/most-homers-in-a-season-vs-one-opposing-team/

For someone to top Gehrig in the post-expansion era would be amazing.

edit: Gehrig had 110 PA vs. Cleveland that year. In '98, Sosa hit 12 against the Brewers in 54 PA.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh I didn't think about all the extra PAs before expansion that makes sense. Thanks for looking that up, I honestly was curious.

7's halfway to 14 though! Although slugging near 2.000 will probably be a little difficult to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

Hating fun must rule.

you're the one with experience so I'll defer to you :smuggo:

• Locked thread