Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Firstborn posted:

Only bad part about S1 is Travis being hamstrung by 6 INT.

Completely disagree. Low int Grog is some of the best poo poo in season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Go figure the 12-sided die has something to do with luck. Have to wonder why the not-drow need it, though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Go figure the 12-sided die has something to do with luck. Have to wonder why the not-drow need it, though.

Yeah I'm curious about this. Going off what the drow told them in the sewer, what the dodecahedron did for Caleb doesn't seem to have anything to do with helping extend the life of the species. I don't think Caleb's ever cast Identify on it though. He's now examined it intently and sort of used it, but never used Identify. There was an awfully big difference between 'attuned to Craven Edge and using it' vs 'casting identify on Craven Edge' in terms of information given and I'm wondering if it's the same situation here.

I'm also interested in the fact that Beau's organization isn't as neutral as she made them sound (or as neutral as Marisha probably assumed they were). They're clearly on board with the state propaganda of "gently caress Xhorhas, all Cricks are devils," and while her teacher seemed curious, it was still very... toeing the party line.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm also interested in the fact that Beau's organization isn't as neutral as she made them sound (or as neutral as Marisha probably assumed they were). They're clearly on board with the state propaganda of "gently caress Xhorhas, all Cricks are devils," and while her teacher seemed curious, it was still very... toeing the party line.

The teacher is an elf, right? Sounded like the problem was personal.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The teacher is an elf, right? Sounded like the problem was personal.

Definitely possible.

Also because I forgot to mention it: Molly and Beau bonding over doing fantasy LSD together was amazing and I'm not convinced it wasn't just a peek at what happens when Matt, Marisha, and Taliesin all go to Burning Man together every year.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Travis is a smart guy playing a dumb character where Orion is a dumb guy that playing a smart character.

Edit, up to ep 27 in c1 and... yeesh
Edit 2: belly laughed when Tiberius, the least charismatic party member who fucks up every negotiation has a CHA or 20 lmao

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 27, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Firstborn posted:

The "shock" of trusting an evil brain eating creature over a halfling paladin. That's the exact episode I'm on, and i'm hooked. Liam plays the hell out of rogue. Only bad part about S1 is Travis being hamstrung by 6 INT. He has to make his best suggestions out of character, and they tend to be pretty good. He also plays "dumb" in a "smart" way, if that makes sense. There's a wrong way to do the anger problem character that can really slow down the game, imo.

An in - character low int barbarian politely asking "I would like to rage" is such a great dumb catchphrase. Especially when all his party catches on to it and actively tries to interrupt him like they did in the episode before that when that giant drinks his keg and smashes it.

I think in both seasons Travis is my favorite because you can tell his having so much fun with it, even when bad things are happening to him.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, let me be clear: Travis and Grog are great, but when Travis has to talk about plans out-of-character because Grog would be too dumb to come up with the idea, that's being hamstrung, imo. I'm currently going through S1, and I'm only on the part where they kill K'varn the Beholder, so maybe it'll change. Also, "I would like to rage" is great and the point about the broken cask is great, too.

Someone called C1 "polished superheroes", and that's kind of funny/true. I am starting to completely love Vax, but I just really like Liam's voice work and stuff in games. He plays that archetype so well.

S2: I really need a Yasha solo background thing. Like, real bad.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

So I clocked out around Beau’s adventure to the cobalt soul.did I miss anything important between that and the 30 minutes or so before I woke up?

Mywhatacleanturtle fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 27, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I want Travis to play a Paladin next season. I want the Grog heroics and transparency, but with Fjord's charisma and smarts.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I love how hyped Travis get everything something cool is happening especially the latest dream sequence for his character and his new sword fusing with his falchion

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Yeah, let me be clear: Travis and Grog are great, but when Travis has to talk about plans out-of-character because Grog would be too dumb to come up with the idea, that's being hamstrung, imo. I'm currently going through S1, and I'm only on the part where they kill K'varn the Beholder, so maybe it'll change. Also, "I would like to rage" is great and the point about the broken cask is great, too.

Someone called C1 "polished superheroes", and that's kind of funny/true. I am starting to completely love Vax, but I just really like Liam's voice work and stuff in games. He plays that archetype so well.

S2: I really need a Yasha solo background thing. Like, real bad.

Fair warning if you're new to C1, Vax gets pretty dark at points, partly because Liam was apparently going through some tough personal stuff, not all of which he's really talked about publicly beyond "I had some poo poo to deal with" and it gets a little intense. Thing seem to settle down and they just have fun with the emo-ness of it after a while but if you're enjoying the devil-may-care element he has in the early eps.... that changes.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I started to go through campaign 1 as well as 2 since I'm all caught up with 2 and I'm glad I did. Up to episode 30 and this is amazing. Sam and Travis are treasures.

I started at episode 27 and... wow. Yeah, I get why he's no longer there :whitewater:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I still think my favourite thing in the entire series is Percy's little speech about legacy during the dragon arc. I don't know if he had pre-written it, knowing what that week's game was going to be doing, or if Taliesin just is that good at improv, but it's the kind of thing that chokes me up in a good way.

Oh, also, catching up on this week's ep (I tend to watch 10-20 minutes of the stream on Thursday until I fall asleep and then catch up over the weekend) and Laura's 'suburban mom' voice in the D&D Beyond ad is great.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 28, 2018

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Taliesin's actually talked about that before and he at least claims he doesn't plan poo poo in advance. He plans things for Percy to build, but not speeches or anything like that. He also commented that the legacy speech was interesting because it was sort of a debate between Keyleth and Percy but apparently Taliesin and Marisha are usually the opposite points of view from what they were arguing at the time? But they knew their characters didn't feel the same way their players did.

You learn a lot of poo poo from the Talks Machina show on Tuesdays.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Taliesin's actually talked about that before and he at least claims he doesn't plan poo poo in advance. He plans things for Percy to build, but not speeches or anything like that. He also commented that the legacy speech was interesting because it was sort of a debate between Keyleth and Percy but apparently Taliesin and Marisha are usually the opposite points of view from what they were arguing at the time? But they knew their characters didn't feel the same way their players did.

You learn a lot of poo poo from the Talks Machina show on Tuesdays.

But is it worth putting up with Foster? :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gaz-L posted:

Fair warning if you're new to C1, Vax gets pretty dark at points, partly because Liam was apparently going through some tough personal stuff, not all of which he's really talked about publicly beyond "I had some poo poo to deal with" and it gets a little intense. Thing seem to settle down and they just have fun with the emo-ness of it after a while but if you're enjoying the devil-may-care element he has in the early eps.... that changes.

Is this around the time of the sudden "what the gently caress are we doing with these people?" scene or have I not hit this yet

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

But is it worth putting up with Foster? :v:

I like Foster :(

Blockhouse posted:

Is this around the time of the sudden "what the gently caress are we doing with these people?" scene or have I not hit this yet

You have not hit it yet. Trust me, you'll know when it happens. There's a logical in game reason for his sudden mopiness that most people thought was the main thing, but it turned out he was actually just having some depression issues in real life that weren't helping.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
For frame of reference where I am now it's the episode with the Percy legacy speech

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Liam did a Periscope around episode 50 where he admits that things got dark for him because his ma passed away after a battle with cancer. He point-blanks says the games were like therapy in helping him move forward.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GoneRampant posted:

Liam did a Periscope around episode 50 where he admits that things got dark for him because his ma passed away after a battle with cancer. He point-blanks says the games were like therapy in helping him move forward.

Oh

okay yeah that suddenly makes a lot of poo poo make sense

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

I like Foster :(

:ssh: I do too, most of the time, I'm just playing along with the shtick.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

:ssh: I do too, most of the time, I'm just playing along with the shtick.

It's not like we have to deal with the cabbage smell.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But he hasn't been the same since they cancelled Two Broke Girls

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I hope Sam's ad next week is utterly unbearable, now that he's an Emmy winner.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Keru posted:

He'll outsource it to Ashley or Liam

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Keru posted:

I could see him bringing the Emmy to the table, placing it prominently in front of him, and then not saying a word about it until after the session.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He'll get the production crew to update the overlay to have his name listed as "Emmy Award Winner Sam Riegel"

On a more serious note, didn't his sister win an Oscar this year too? Big year for the Riegels

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Gaz-L posted:

He'll get the production crew to update the overlay to have his name listed as "Emmy Award Winner Sam Riegel"

On a more serious note, didn't his sister win an Oscar this year too? Big year for the Riegels

Nominated, apparently, for editing I, Tonya. His other sister won a Daytime Emmy for her work on All My Children, too. They're goin' for the family EGOT.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 28, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ah, I thought she won. They must've talked about it before the ceremony happened on Talks Machina Becomes The Darkness

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Discussing smart Travis

Eveeyone should watch Liam's The Screw Job. Travis is terrifying when hes compent and evil.

Alao Ashly Burch has been the best guest character in both her appearances and should be around more often. (Best in the goblin path finder one shot, second best in the Screw Job because no one can beat Olly the Rat).

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Piglet is the people's hero.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lid posted:

Discussing smart Travis

Eveeyone should watch Liam's The Screw Job. Travis is terrifying when hes compent and evil.

Alao Ashly Burch has been the best guest character in both her appearances and should be around more often. (Best in the goblin path finder one shot, second best in the Screw Job because no one can beat Olly the Rat).

It's Obby the Rat. You know why they call him that?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Obby the Rat describing his living situation remains the funniest exchange in the entire series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Back to the present, I'm curious how much of Fuhjordy swallowing the sword (which, super hosed up) was what Matt intended the patron to be commanding, and how much was Travis going there and Matt rolling with a disturbing concept.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Back to the present, I'm curious how much of Fuhjordy swallowing the sword (which, super hosed up) was what Matt intended the patron to be commanding, and how much was Travis going there and Matt rolling with a disturbing concept.

Fjord's dream featured nothing but himself and his sword, and it ordered him to "consume." I think he did exactly what he was supposed to, especially since the end result was that his falchion consumed the longsword's enchantment.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

In It For The Tank posted:

Obby the Rat describing his living situation remains the funniest exchange in the entire series.

Obby the Rat is often used as torture.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Fjord's been having wet dreams about tentacle monsters and swallowing swords and that's the really important part.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
https://i.imgur.com/8Vejan0.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
It is pretty weird to think that the person delivers like- the worst adverts for services at the start of every episode is also the only person to have won an emmy.