Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Not voting just yet, just felt like saying how glad I am that this is back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

B
D
SKT

Keep our spear, spend some time on our own, master our spear, get them gains and if there's time develop our witch sight.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Rereading the update before last, I see that there was (what looked like) a momentary glint of teeth from a reflection in the water as we woke up. Probably a good thing the As won out, since that's probably what we would have found had we gone looking for what we lost.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

vorebane posted:

1b2d3qkh Ask about the story of us whup assing a boar, I want to hear it from the kids' perspective. Would it be counterproductive to thank Alnaar for not eating our brains?

E:and why is it so important we survive? is there a big magic rumble we've got to be there for?

I think it's just that the Sejin has saved thousands of people, partially by abandoning a few dozen in hopeless situations. Stupid or reckless sejin don't live very long, and dying to save a dozen now would be dooming the hundreds you could save later.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B
D
QSP

Keep the spear, become besties with it is the absolute top priority. Only way to make sure this doesn't happen again is to learn how to use it. And deepening our mana pool is always a good investment, if we do that consistently for a while we're gonna have a lo to play with which seems like it'll be important.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TheCog posted:

1.) Do you want to give Alnaar to the Sejin for safe keeping?
A.) Yes
B.) No

No, Alnaar is now our burden to bear, and we shall learn how.

TheCog posted:

2.) How much time do you want to spend on the Sejin's training?

D.) I want to work studiously most of the time... but take some time for myself and my interests.

Let's actually have a childhood.

TheCog posted:

3.) Vote for THREE things you want to do, in order of importance to you.

J.) I probed the Sejin for knowledge on forbidden things, topics he was truly loathe to talk about, things like blood magic, and when I could, I tried to learn more about these things by practicing them myself.

L.) I wanted to learn some form of ranged combat. I convinced the Sejin to teach me how to fight from a distance during our down-time.

T.) I want to focus on learning how to better control my "witch sight", the ability to see and detect magic.

TheCog posted:

4.) During this year, what are some short, non-time intensive things you'd like to do?

1) Play games with Sejin
2) Learn more about how 'normal people' live.
3) Learn how to cook

TheCog posted:

Question time, is of course, open

Hey Seijin . . .

. . . what happened with the boar? How did you find me?

. . . how much trouble are we in now that people know I can do magic?

. . . what's wrong with the Djinn? Why are they getting weaker?

. . . the fire, it was beautiful Sejin. Why does it want to consume the world?

. . . tell me about who welded this spear? She was radiant, powerful, awe-inspiring. Why did the sky fall on her?

. . . when was the first time you had to choose between dying recklessly, or turn away from the fight?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Can we ask about the order of the world tree from the nice old man please.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully

1. B
2. D
3. HIQ

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
1.B
2.D
3.GNP

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

1) A... but be very bloody careful with it until the Sejin think's we're ready

2) D

3) T, H, V (cooking)
I doubt the Sejin can teach us a lot about fine flavours, but if he lets us do the cooking each night we can start experimenting.

Question time:
"I notice you are careful about names. Do they have magical significance? Should I guard mine?"

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Did we know the Ignian word for glory before we heard it from Alnaar?
You did.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Ask Elder Nestor about the Tree of Life on his clothing.

You ask the Sejin is you could ask Elder Nestor about the Tree of Life. He purses his lips, and nods. "I'll ask if he's available". A few days before you depart, you receive a visit from the Elder. Now that you're feeling better you see an odd sort of strength radiating from the Elder. He's certainly old and frail, and the wrinkles around his face don't hint at frequent smiles, but his presence is somehow reassuring. You ask him if he'll tell you about the tree of life, and he nods.

His voice commands attention. It is not particularly loud, but in the small confines of the room it seems to fill your entire world. It reminds you faintly of that time Nomia told you about the Birth of Elatha. It feels vaguely serene.

"At the Dawn of time, before Spirits, before Man, before Flesh, and Light, there was Void"

"In that void there dwelled Silence, Stillness and Sorrow. Sorrow was formless, and yearned for change, but Stillness and Silence would not allow out. So Sorrow wept. From the tears of Sorrow, sprung the primordial waters, which rested in the void. As Sorrow wept, the waters stirred, and this would not do for Stillness, who desired only perfect immobility. So Stillness crafted for sorrow and its tears a perfect prison of Earth, so that Silence and Stillness might remain undisturbed."

So Sorrow remained, trapped in its prison, where Silence and Stillness had no domain. There, Sorrow found that without its sisters, it could move, and sing, and exist.... and so Sorrow became Song. Song was powerful, boundless, and unconfined, the earthen walls that surrounded it no longer enough to keep it at bay. Song looked for its sisters, full of boundless noise and motion, wishing only to share this with them. But all Song was, was anathema to Silence and Stillness, and they fled, beyond the Void, to the infinite edges of the Abyss, wishing nothing more than to silence Song. Song could not bear the solitude. So Song, from dirt and water, crafted for itself a vessel. A single, sprouting seed. The first seed. The genesis seed. From it, from the first tree, all life came, all life sprouted. And to it they return. We are all part of the First Song, members of the first tree."

the Elder pauses for a second.

"We are all connected, sons and daughters. So we have a sacred duty to show each other the greatest kindness, to preserve nature, and above all, to defend life."

He folds his hands on his lap. "I realize that might have been a bit of a mouthful, so if you have any questions, please, ask them now, or in the days ahead."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

When Alnaar started pupeteering my body, I heard the Ignian word for glory. Was that really Alnaar? Should I infer that's what motivates him?

"It was certainly Alnaar. You are free to draw your own conclusions as to what it means, Sundar, but don't forget he's incredibly dangerous, whatever his motivations."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Can you tell me more about Calydonian Boars?

"I can" he gives you a cheeky smile. You ask him if he will. "Certainly. They're a species of boar, that can grow to be the size of a small house. They're extremely territorial and as you saw, fairly aggressive . Their hide can grow fairly thick, which makes bringing them down with arrows a challenge. Its surprising to find any that close to civilization, although it looked like it was looking for new pastures, or had recently birthed."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

If an Ensouled weapon is just below the greatest items of magic power, what kind of things sit at the top?

"The whole broad category know as Artifacts. They are the most powerful of creations, and they are all universally cursed. Their power is such that using them, at all, will undoubtedly result in the wielders death, or worse."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

How did you meet Elder Nestor?

"This is not my first time passing through Cloister Sundar. Or my second. I knew the Elder when he was just a young itinerant monk setting down roots."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What were you trying to say to Alnaar when I woke up?

"I was commanding him to return to his vessel and relinquish his hold on you."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Ask the Sejin about the dream(?) water we fell(?) into after wielding Alnaar became too much to us and what we should do if we ever find ourselves back there.

Do you want to share the details of your experience?
1.) Yes
2.) No

Prince of Space posted:

Is he Magi, just as you are Sejin?

"Magi is a very specific title. He is not one of the Magi. He's certainly a magic user, although different from you and I."

vorebane posted:

Ask about the story of us whup assing a boar, I want to hear it from the kids' perspective.

"I think it would be best, given your current reputation, if you did not leave the sanctuary until we are ready to leave Sundar. I will share what I gathered from the children however. they were innocently wandering through the forest, not at all looking for trouble, when it appears some kind of monster was menacing them from the trees" he shoots you a significant *look*, "which caused one of the children to bolt, and a second to give chase, when suddenly, from the opposite direction, a giant boar appeared. Then from among the branches where the first monster had been, sprung out a hero! Brandishing a spear like some kind of Godess of war, she interposed herself between them and the boar!" the Sejin is obviously enjoying recounting the story. "Of course events get a little hazy at this point, with one of the children in flight and the other soiling their pants, but apparently the hero, rather impressively managed to turn the boars charge at the last minute, driving a giant gash down the beasts side, all while kicking the other child out of the way. Then, as the boars back was turned to her, she drove her spear into the beast's back.

But it hadn't had enough. Once more the boar turned to face the mighty warrior, but this time there was no child in the boars path to hamper her agility. As the boar, mad with rage and pain tried to disembowel her, she leaped forward, a lunging blow of incredible precision, driving her spear through the beast's eye, into the brain, and killing it on impact. I arrived just as the blood soaked hero stood over her kill, and collapsed." the Sejin gives you a light nudge. "I'm sure I didn't quite do it justice Sundar, but it'll have to do.

vorebane posted:

Would it be counterproductive to thank Alnaar for not eating our brains?

"I don't know, Sundar." he shrugs. "If you're going to weld him, you must have proper authority over him."

vorebane posted:

Why is it so important we survive? is there a big magic rumble we've got to be there for?

First half has been answered.

"There is no specific fate I am trying to guide you to Sundar, certainly, I would be proud if you walked the same path I do, but you are your own person. I am not preparing to use you as a tool for some specific battle."

CourValant posted:

. . . what happened with the boar? How did you find me?

"You killed it, Sundar" he answers, with a straight face. Then you detect what might be a tinge of guilt. "I, ah, had a wind spirit keeping an eye on you, it's kind of dim, and had orders to come find me if you were in danger. Unfortunately I didn't expect you to wander quite so far." he lets out a small sigh "Perhaps I should have told you, but I didn't want you to feel like you were not trusted."

CourValant posted:

. . . how much trouble are we in now that people know I can do magic?

"We're not. Rumors will die down in time, and you made no overt display of magic. It may be slightly inconvenient at some point, but let me worry about that Sundar."

CourValant posted:

. . . what's wrong with the Djinn? Why are they getting weaker?

"Their grasp on the world is growing weaker. There aren't as many who follow the old ways as there used to be." the question seems to cast a pall over the Sejin's mood.

CourValant posted:

. . . the fire, it was beautiful Sejin. Why does it want to consume the world?

"Because that is its nature. Fish swim. Water is wet, and fire consumes."

CourValant posted:

. . . tell me about who welded this spear? She was radiant, powerful, awe-inspiring. Why did the sky fall on her?

"I wasn't able to identify her from the information you gave me Sundar, but when we're somewhere where its possible, we can do some research."

You feel something in the back of your mind. Like an itch, or a whisper. The feeling is gone as rapidly as it came.

CourValant posted:

. . . when was the first time you had to choose between dying recklessly, or turn away from the fight?

"I was part of a hunting expedition in my youth. There were maybe a dozen of us, we thought we were tracking a giant scorpion. Dangerous prey, but something a junior Sejin, a Summoner and ten strong men could handle. We came upon a Castigator" he carefully flips through his book to show you an illustration

"A Castigator is not a giant scorpion. They are masters of the winds and the sands, and they feast on the flesh of man. The windstorm descended on us immediately. The first sign something was wrong was a scream of agony from the back of our party. I saw a man I'd known for most of my life bitten in half. I'd studied the monsters of the sands, I knew this was hopeless. I knew that if we stood and fought, we would all die. So I gave the order to scatter. Our summoner.... she looked at me with the greatest betrayal I had ever seen. She stood her ground. i knew in that moment I could either die with her, or flee.

I heard her screams as I ran through the dunes. Only three of us survived."

The Lone Badger posted:

Question time:
"I notice you are careful about names. Do they have magical significance? Should I guard mine?"

"While name based magic exists, it isn't based on common names, Sundar, so I wouldn't worry about it. Our normal names are just that, names."

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Man, we got lucky.

I say we try to charm our cursed spear. Thank it for it's help.

Sejin, how can we practice dominating our weapon? Is there a technique?

Go back, get a ferret. We need a ferret.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TheCog posted:

"This is not my first time passing through Cloister Sundar. Or my second. I knew the Elder when he was just a young itinerant monk setting down roots."

How old are you, Sejin? How do you remain vital and healthy, especially if you trade away your life force to . . . spirits?

TheCog posted:

Do you want to share the details of your experience?

1.) Yes

TheCog posted:

"I don't know, Sundar." he shrugs. "If you're going to weld him, you must have proper authority over him."

How do I do that, Sejin? Got any tips?

TheCog posted:

"I, ah, had a wind spirit keeping an eye on you, it's kind of dim, and had orders to come find me if you were in danger. Unfortunately I didn't expect you to wander quite so far." he lets out a small sigh "Perhaps I should have told you, but I didn't want you to feel like you were not trusted."

Monster-Hunter Dad is best Dad!

TheCog posted:

"We're not. Rumors will die down in time, and you made no overt display of magic. It may be slightly inconvenient at some point, but let me worry about that Sundar."

That seems . . . inaccurate, Sejin. When I gave in to the spear, I saw flame, and brought forth flame. I was sure that I had burned everything and everyone around me to ashes.

That I had fought instead . . . doesn't make any sense?

TheCog posted:

"I wasn't able to identify her from the information you gave me Sundar, but when we're somewhere where its possible, we can do some research."

I would like that, Sejin.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I say we try to charm our cursed spear. Thank it for it's help.

+1

"Hey, spear, hope you enjoyed yourself. If you want me to ever trust you again, enough to let you out and fight some more, then we need to have a chat, you, me, and Sejin"

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
1) yes

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

CourValant posted:

"Hey, spear, hope you enjoyed yourself. If you want me to ever trust you again, enough to let you out and fight some more, then we need to have a chat, you, me, and Sejin"
+1

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
TheCog. This game is cool and good. Keep it up.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
B
C
IQS

thank you for sticking with this TheCog!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
When we're feeling better we should turn it into a shovel and use it to dig the latrines for a few weeks. That'll teach ya, ya dumb ol spear.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Yes let's share what happened

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

thank you for sticking with this TheCog!

This too, I am excited to read the adventures of Sundar Clarissa, reckless fire spearlady.

e:oh I had her name wrong.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 28, 2018

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

TheCog, I hope you know that if you ever give us a choice on what we say when someone asks what our name is, we're totally going to vote for Sundar. Because Sundar is a badass name and I think our birth name is Cassandra but I don't actually know for sure?

fake edit: lol nope it's Clarissa.

also this:

Basscop posted:

TheCog. This game is cool and good. Keep it up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can we get a catsnake before we leave? It'd be much easier to take care of than a pony...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Lone Badger posted:

Can we get a catsnake before we leave? It'd be much easier to take care of than a pony...

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Well, other than that mysterious part of oursleves we lost, that seems to have gone relatively well, actually.

1. B
2. C
3. IST (Ignian, Alnaar, witch sight. Doubling down on this badass weapon of ours, plus adding to our senses)
4. Try to figure out what we lost.

This, plus catsnake.

Echoing sentiment here but I am very glad you've managed to find the time to return to this, TheCog. It's fun and engaging and you're painting a picture of a world I want to know and see so much more of.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Questions for the Elder:
Do Silence and Stillness still try to quiet Song?
Where did the genesis seed take root? Is it a place someone can visit?
When you were checking my injuries after I woke up, I heard a faint chant. Was that the First Song?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Does Sundar mean "apprentice?"

And did she just Fire herself

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The Sejin calls us Sundar as a sign of affection. It's the name of a flower that he is particularly fond of. I really like the way it sounds, and we hear it so much more than our "real" name that I basically think of Sundar as our real name instead.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 29, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I remember nothing about a CatSnake but those sound cuddle so grab one.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
1B
2D
3IMT
4, Try to figure out what was lost. Get a travel-friendly pet like maybe a bird or fursnake.

yes share the water falling dream

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I like the way Sundar sounds, especially when i say it in my head with a mellifluous Khajiit style accent, with a softly rolled r.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I, at one point in my life, couldn't for the life of me remember the name of my roommate's animal (a ferret) and for some reason I described it as a bear limo.

That's my story.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hexenritter posted:

I like the way Sundar sounds, especially when i say it in my head with a mellifluous Khajiit style accent, with a softly rolled r.

It sounds more exotic than Clarissa, and if we want to make the big bucks trading small boxes we need to be at least a bit foreign.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Lone Badger posted:

It sounds more exotic than Clarissa, and if we want to make the big bucks trading small boxes we need to be at least a bit foreign.

Clarissa might sound foreign as hell in the context of this game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Clarissa might sound foreign as hell in the context of this game.

It's our birth name so it's presumably common in our home country.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lone Badger posted:

It's our birth name so it's presumably common in our home country.

We are not in our home country now, so we can use our birth name in a foreign land.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I, at one point in my life, couldn't for the life of me remember the name of my roommate's animal (a ferret) and for some reason I described it as a bear limo.

That's my story.

a good one tho

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Our true name is Zuma'kalis but we flubbed it by choosing the spear instead of the bonesaber.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Do Silence and Stillness still try to quiet Song?
The elder seems to take a second to ponder your question. "Yes. That is the eternal, perpetual battle. The ebb and flow. Its one of the reasons its so important to nurture the Song."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Where did the genesis seed take root? Is it a place someone can visit?
"It took root somewhere deep beneath the earth. A long time ago it was known where, and people gathered to make pilgrimages to the roots of the Great Tree, but that knowledge has been lost to time."

Dr Subterfuge posted:

When you were checking my injuries after I woke up, I heard a faint chant. Was that the First Song?
The Elder's expression changes slightly, as if he'd had a sudden realization. "What you heard was the echo of a fragment of one of the chords. The First Song is not something anyone can fully know."

quote:

Name Chat
People in Tormond Vale speak Tessar, which is the same language your parents spoke. Your name was not terribly uncommon further south, but up here you have not yet encountered anyone with the same name. There are also regional differences in dialect. Your name isn't exactly exotic up here, just... uncommon.

Catsnake will be addressed in the update.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

TheCog posted:

The Elder's expression changes slightly, as if he'd had a sudden realization. "What you heard was the echo of a fragment of one of the chords. The First Song is not something anyone can fully know."

You look like you just realized something. Is hearing anything at all unusual?

TheCog posted:

The elder seems to take a second to ponder your question. "Yes. That is the eternal, perpetual battle. The ebb and flow. Its one of the reasons its so important to nurture the Song."

Do they inteterfere directly, or do they have some kind of... representatives?
Wishing I could make some reference to entropy here, but I'm assuming that's not something we would have heard.

TheCog posted:

"It took root somewhere deep beneath the earth. A long time ago it was known where, and people gathered to make pilgrimages to the roots of the Great Tree, but that knowledge has been lost to time."

How does something like that get lost? Is it not there anymore? Or people stopped going? Both sound tragic.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 2, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
1. B
2. D
3. MQT Don't think I've forgotten about the song controlled magic focusing sand. We will be a musical sand witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

You look like you just realized something. Is hearing anything at all unusual?
"Yes, it means your senses are keener than I expected. Then again, you do travel with the Sejin, so perhaps that should not be as surprising as it is." he gives you a friendly smile.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Do they inteterfere directly, or do they have some kind of... representatives?

"They are everywhere, death, chaos, decay are their agents. They keep the spread of the song at bay, but even there, they are not completely successful, for from death comes life, chaos can bring about growth, and decay clears out the way for new life"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

How does something like that get lost? Is it not there anymore? Or people stopped going? Both sound tragic.

"It was a very long time ago, and it was deep beneath the earth. Stories say there was even a city surrounding the roots, but as time went on, the earth shifted, and the paths that led there before no longer did. Monsters and other fearsome things prayed on travelers, and even those who went looking for it couldn't find it in the labyrinths of the deep earth. Maybe one day it will be discovered again."

Starting to work on the update.